Which school will be next to get a P5 invite? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

• Boise St

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BYU

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Cincinnati

Votes: 52 41.9%
  • Houston

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Nevada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UConn

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand why you post over here. There is no BC message board that actually has any traffic. Maybe 5-10 posts per day. Must be hard finding someone to talk about BC athletics with
LOL your so transparent Harry the Bed Rull .......I ENJOY the U Conn fans and the conversation here and give them the due respect they deserve on their board. Unlike you an opportunist roach who will not even reveal his/her/it allegiance, but you will gladly take swipes at U Conn and any other program that you run across. You think YOU KNOW IT ALL, using some thought up formula as to why U Conn will not be able to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
Why make it personal?

Football conversation is informative and entertaining. If someone disagrees, counter with your reasoning. Name calling is the realm of kiddie board smack talkers...JMHO...

Reaction Score
LOL your so transparent Harry the Bed Rull .......I ENJOY the U Conn fans and the conversation here and give them the due respect they deserve on their board. Unlike you an opportunist roach who will not even reveal his/her/it allegiance, but you will gladly take swipes at U Conn and any other program that you run across. You think YOU KNOW IT ALL, using some thought up formula as to why U Conn will not be able to join the ACC.

Swoff made a bad move taking BC over UConn. Probably had something to do with Uconns FB program being FCS at the time. I agree with the Uconn fans that Uconn would add more value than BC. Swoff just saw the Boston market and assumed that Boston fans cared about college FB and basketball, he was dead wrong and it was a bad move.

Reaction Score
UConn's lowest-rated game runs opposite of the men's basketball team's biggest game of the year, still gets a dramatically larger rating than BC vs Florida State and you think that DOESN'T prove upstater's argument?!?!?!?!
No agenda here, just posting what i find interesting and sharing with others, it is what it is. You cant pick and choose and ignore ALL the numbers. Laid them all out there.... the good, the bad, and the ugly. All 5 northeast schools can point to whatever they like to validate any argument.

Reaction Score
Why make it personal?

Football conversation is informative and entertaining. If someone disagrees, counter with your reasoning. Name calling is the realm of kiddie board smack talkers...JMHO...
It will not reveal any identity........never has since it showed up here. Argues and taunts but never willing to say who it backs.....Its not informative or entertaining far from it.......I am always polite and respectful of others on this board. Except when dealing with this thing. It engaged me with its usual smart !@#$ comment scroll back and see. Im well aware on how to conduct myself thanks for the advice though.

Reaction Score
Swoff made a bad move taking BC over UConn. Probably had something to do with Uconns FB program being FCS at the time. I agree with the Uconn fans that Uconn would add more value than BC. Swoff just saw the Boston market and assumed that Boston fans cared about college FB and basketball, he was dead wrong and it was a bad move.
Lol ahhh ..... Crawl back into your crack, like I need some hillbilly who hangs out in a bathtub on his front lawn schooling me on the college football landscape.

Reaction Score
Exposure..........and Eyeballs Eyeballs Eyeballs..........

UConn's revenues and tier 3 rights tell you it has a lot of exposure and a lot of eyeballs. Football? No. Everyone knows UConn makes a lot of money with basketball. Another anomaly with UConn is that ticket sale revenue for football is equal to some old BE schools in P5 conferences that average 10,000 fans more.

Reaction Score
UConn's revenues and tier 3 rights tell you it has a lot of exposure and a lot of eyeballs. Football? No. Everyone knows UConn makes a lot of money with basketball. Another anomaly with UConn is that ticket sale revenue for football is equal to some old BE schools in P5 conferences that average 10,000 fans more.
Yes U Conn has done very well, esp in a short period of time.

Reaction Score
They have not even sold out their home opener. Two days away. Last and only national championship was 1926. National brand because of academic prestige and success in other sports, sure.

They will have more than 30,ooo.

Reaction Score
The reality of UConn's records, good or bad, doesn't matter. What matters is the perception that we're a bunch of feeble New Englanders who wouldn't know an oblong ball on a Saturday if it bit us in the ass. Hell, we're so backward that we still play high school football on Saturday. That's what I believe the south and midwest feel about UConn. That isn't going to change quickly, and isn't going to change if we get our asses handed to us by Towson at home. Yes, we beat South Carolina once, before they became a real power in the SEC and Notre Dame when they were down. But the next person who mentions beating Virginia or Maryland as a major high point for UConn should slap themselves...hard. Virginia sucks and Maryland is just barely above that.

To do list: Win and go to a bowl game, year after year. Win those bowl games at a 50% clip. Play tough, nasty defense (we have done this). Get the state to move frigging high school football to Friday nights...please. Create an atmosphere where on game day every employee at McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, BK and elsewhere (at least east of Hartford) wears UConn garb to work. I want visiting fans to come into East Hartford and see a unified community. This is the stuff that changes perceptions. It's what you get in the south and midwest and what they expect of any real program.

Excellent, excellent EXCELLENT! You hit the nail squarely upon the head.

HSFB is made to be played on Friday nights. Also, a great point about the communities that go above and beyond to show support for their favorite college teams on Saturdays.

Reaction Score
Excellent, excellent EXCELLENT! You hit the nail squarely upon the head.

HSFB is made to be played on Friday nights. Also, a great point about the communities that go above and beyond to show support for their favorite college teams on Saturdays.

But, Conn. actually produces a fair amount of pro and college players per capita, certainly compared to New York and many states. Connecticut is in the top of the fourth of five tier nationally (i.e. 30-35th) in this regard. Yet schools below it like Syracuse and BC have landed in P5s. The mountain west is barren when it comes to finding athletes, and they have several schools too. I think there are marginal things Ct. could do to improve HS football to the level of let's say New Jersey, but I doubt you'd see a great deal of difference. Let's face it, football is not a sport that requires a great deal of practice or skill. Many of us played pickup games before starting high school ball. There are a lot of raw Donald Thomas's out there. I clearly remember my first HS football tryout when the coach told me to get in a 3 point stance. I basically did what I saw on TV and when the whistle blew and I hit the sled, he said, good hit, we'll teach you the rest. It's unlike any other sport.

Reaction Score
S.M.W. COLLEGE FOOTBALL WRAP; T.V. RATINGS FOR (ALMOST) EVERY GAME THIS SEASON (2012) ABC CBS NBC FOX ESPN ESPN2

Listed Them from Most watched to least watched for Rutgers, U Conn, Syracuse, B.C., Pitt.

1. Pitt @ Notre Dame 11/3/12 ................NBC 6.0 M
2. Notre Dame@ B.C. 11/10/12............. ABC 5.8 M
3. USC @ Syracuse 9/8/12 ....................ABC 4.7 M
4. Miami @ B.C. 9/1/12 .........................ABC 3.5 M
5. Pitt @ Cincinnati 9/16/12 ..................ESPN 2.2 M
6. Louisville @ Rutgers 11/29/12 ...........ESPN 1.7 M
7. Pitt @ Syracuse 10/5/12 .................... ESPN 1.4 M
8. Rutgers @ USF 9/13/12 .....................ESPN 1.3 M
9. U Conn @ Syracuse 10/19/12 ............ESPN 1.0 M
10. Cincinnati @ U Conn 12/1/12 ..........ABC 1.0 M
11. Pitt @ U Conn 11/9/12 ......................ESPN2 931 K
12. Clemson @ B.C. 9/29/12 ..................ESPN2 891 K
13. B.C. @ FSU 10/13/12 ........................ESPN2 672 K
14. Rutgers @ Pitt 11/24/12 ....................ESPN2 614 K
15. Syracuse @ Temple 11/23/12 ............ESPN2 536 K
16. Syracuse @ Missouri 11/17/12 ...........ESPNU 448 K
17. Pitt @ USF 12/1/12 ............................ESPN2 349 K
18. Army @ Rutgers 11/10/12 .................ESPNU 122 K

Notre Dame's 2012 Football schedule and viewership, from most viewed to least viewed.
1. Notre Dame @ U.S.C. 11/24/12............ ABC 16.1 M
2. Notre Dame @ Oklahoma 10/27/12.....ABC 8.6 M
3. Michigan @ Notre Dame 9/22/12 ........NBC 6.4 M
4. Pitt @ Notre Dame 11/3/12....................NBC 6.0 M
5. Notre Dame @ B.C. 11/10/12.................ABC 5.8 M
6. Stanford @ Notre Dame 10/13/12.........NBC 5.2 M
7. Notre Dame @ Michigan St 9/15/12......ABC 5.0 M
8. Miami @ Notre Dame 10/6/12...............NBC 3.7 M
9. B.Y.U. @ Notre Dame 10/20/12.............NBC 3.7 M
10. Perdue @ Notre Dame 9/8/12..............NBC 2.8 M
11. Notre Dame @ Navy 9/1/12...................CBS 1.9 M
12. Wake Forest @ Notre Dame 11/17/12....NBC 1.7 M

What's most revealing about this data is that Notre Dame passed up playing the Purdue Boilermakers to play the Perdue Chicken Ranchers. I suspect Tyson or Hormel will be on their schedule next year.

Reaction Score
The only thing you have proven is that Notre Dame, FSU, Clemson, and Miami can draw TV fans. You can sub BC for any other team in the ACC and get the same or higher (likely higher) ratings.

There may be some truth in that, but how do you explain 672K for BC at FSU?

Reaction Score

Just to play Devil’s Advocate here, even though I agree that HS Football is perfect for Friday nights (which is why college football should not be on the air at all on Friday nights) and Thanksgiving mornings, it’s not that easy. While my HS in CT put in lights while I was in school; not all schools can 1) afford to put in lights and/or 2) the field is in a residential neighborhood and the neighbor can and will put up a major fight to block lights (and traffic). Not even all of the HS football teams where I live now in NNJ have lights and HS football is a lot bigger in NJ than in CT right now. Paramus Catholic (#1 in NJ, #4 in USA TODAY) only received approval in June of 2013 to add lights to their new on-campus field and Bergen Catholic still does not have lights and plays most of their home games in a country park a few miles away that has lights.

Reaction Score
Just to play Devil’s Advocate here, even though I agree that HS Football is perfect for Friday nights (which is why college football should not be on the air at all on Friday nights) and Thanksgiving mornings, it’s not that easy. While my HS in CT put in lights while I was in school; not all schools can 1) afford to put in lights and/or 2) the field is in a residential neighborhood and the neighbor can and will put up a major fight to block lights (and traffic). Not even all of the HS football teams where I live now in NNJ have lights and HS football is a lot bigger in NJ than in CT right now. Paramus Catholic (#1 in NJ, #4 in USA TODAY) only received approval in June of 2013 to add lights to their new on-campus field and Bergen Catholic still does not have lights and plays most of their home games in a country park a few miles away that has lights.

Also remember that in the HS football powerhouse areas down south and in CA they have to play friday nights because it's too damn hot to play on Saturday afternoons Aug-Oct.

Reaction Score
They will have more than 30,ooo.
I am sure if we were ranked in the top 10, we'd be selling out again. If Stanford was doing as bad as we are right now, they'd be drawing 30,000 plus change, too. What an intelligent remark. Your IQ must be off the charts.

Reaction Score
Um, we were an FBS independent in 2002. Thank you for your interest in UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
Having grown up in King of Prussia, PA and having both my siblings be PSU alumni, I can tell you for certain that with regards to at least the suburbs, that nobody cares about Temple football or PSU basketball. All the bandwagon local fans (in the moderate to wealthy suburbs) rooted for Nova for Basketball and Penn State for Football.

So in short, the Big Ten/ACC would be better off trying to pick up Villanova to capture the Philly demographic versus Temple, especially since it would be a basketball only move. I could see the ACC trying that approach, not the B1G, and I definitely don't see any of the Catholic 10 leaving a stable conference to join what might be a financial upgrade in a conference that focuses around football.

So yea...I'd agree with Frank the Tank with regards to the alignment scenario. For B1G and ACC, UConn > UC, For Big 12/MWC, UC>UConn. Houston > Temple > USF/UCF > ick.

Reaction Score
Having grown up in King of Prussia, PA and having both my siblings be PSU alumni, I can tell you for certain that with regards to at least the suburbs, that nobody cares about Temple football or PSU basketball. All the bandwagon local fans (in the moderate to wealthy suburbs) rooted for Nova for Basketball and Penn State for Football.

So in short, the Big Ten/ACC would be better off trying to pick up Villanova to capture the Philly demographic versus Temple, especially since it would be a basketball only move. I could see the ACC trying that approach, not the B1G, and I definitely don't see any of the Catholic 10 leaving a stable conference to join what might be a financial upgrade in a conference that focuses around football.

So yea...I'd agree with Frank the Tank with regards to the alignment scenario. For B1G and ACC, UConn > UC, For Big 12/MWC, UC>UConn. Houston > Temple > USF/UCF > ick.

The ACC did the Notre Dame special deal because its Notre Dame. No other school with the exception of maybe Texas could lure the ACC into doing another one. The ACC won't add another member unless either someone leaves or Notre Dame decides to join.

Reaction Score
The ACC did the Notre Dame special deal because its Notre Dame. No other school with the exception of maybe Texas could lure the ACC into doing another one. The ACC won't add another member unless either someone leaves or Notre Dame decides to join.
Thanks for keeping us posted Mr. Swofford

pj

Reaction Score
Even if 100% of the population of CT (3.59 mil) was paying $2.50 to see Uconn on TV, that would only be $8.97 mill, not enough to cover the $20 million break even point.

Again, adding Uconn doesnt bring enough money to the table to justify another addition.

Cable carriage fees are quoted per household per month. Connecticut has 1 million cable households (3.6 million people in the state) and SNY gets $2.50 per month per household which is $2.5 mn * 12 = $30 million per year. Before UConn they got $1.60 month from a fraction of the state. So UConn added something like $20-25 million to SNY's revenue.

Reaction Score
Cable carriage fees are quoted per household per month. Connecticut has 1 million cable households (3.6 million people in the state) and SNY gets $2.50 per month per household which is $2.5 mn 12 = $30 million per year. Before UConn they got $1.60 month from a fraction of the state. So UConn added something like $20-25 million to SNY's revenue.

By selling its worst games to SNY.

Of course, SNY has production costs and needs to make a profit as well (which it also does by selling ads). So not all that revenue would be attributable to UConn's value for a conference. Fox/B1G split revenues 50/50 however.

Reaction Score
Cable carriage fees are quoted per household per month. Connecticut has 1 million cable households (3.6 million people in the state) and SNY gets $2.50 per month per household which is $2.5 mn 12 = $30 million per year. Before UConn they got $1.60 month from a fraction of the state. So UConn added something like $20-25 million to SNY's revenue.
The person you responded to apparently doesn't know how yearly payouts and cable subscriptions work. What a dumb@ss (aka troll). We are worth more than ACC payouts. Geez. We are clearly not worthy of the ACC.

I'll put the moron on ignore. Brings nothing to the table.

pj

Reaction Score
We are worth more than ACC payouts. Geez. We are clearly not worthy of the ACC.

We're worth ~$20-30 mn/yr to someone with a cable network that needs to penetrate Connecticut, like SNY or the BTN. ESPN already gets $5 / month from Connecticut households and couldn't raise it much more with UConn sports; anyway they have UConn sports by owning AAC rights.

From the ACC's perspective, they have no cable network, so they can't exploit the willingness of CT cable households to pay for UConn sports. So their only way of monetizing UConn is by selling our media rights to ESPN. ESPN has them cheaply already, and ESPN is already maxing out the cable fees in CT. So there's no reason for them to pay the ACC a premium for taking UConn.

This is why I've thought we would go to the B1G, we fit their model much better, giving a hefty amount of money from CT cable and also more exposure/access to B1G alumni in NY and Boston. UConn could easily be worth $30-40 mn to the B1G. But there we have AAU status issues, also lack of a partner to reach 16.

So there is not an obvious way for UConn to monetize its value at the moment. But with continued evolution of TV markets and college sports, such as the D4 initiative, opportunities will arise. There will come a time when UConn and a league/network partner figure out how to grab that value. UConn should build relationships with SNY, Fox, and any non-ESPN TV group that can create a threat of leaving ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom