Which school will be next to get a P5 invite? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

Which school will be next to get a P5 invite?

• Boise St

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BYU

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Cincinnati

Votes: 52 41.9%
  • Houston

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Nevada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UConn

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're worth ~$20-30 mn/yr to someone with a cable network that needs to penetrate Connecticut, like SNY or the BTN. ESPN already gets $5 / month from Connecticut households and couldn't raise it much more with UConn sports; anyway they have UConn sports by owning AAC rights.

From the ACC's perspective, they have no cable network, so they can't exploit the willingness of CT cable households to pay for UConn sports. So their only way of monetizing UConn is by selling our media rights to ESPN. ESPN has them cheaply already, and ESPN is already maxing out the cable fees in CT. So there's no reason for them to pay the ACC a premium for taking UConn.

This is why I've thought we would go to the B1G, we fit their model much better, giving a hefty amount of money from CT cable and also more exposure/access to B1G alumni in NY and Boston. UConn could easily be worth $30-40 mn to the B1G. But there we have AAU status issues, also lack of a partner to reach 16.

So there is not an obvious way for UConn to monetize its value at the moment. But with continued evolution of TV markets and college sports, such as the D4 initiative, opportunities will arise. There will come a time when UConn and a league/network partner figure out how to grab that value. UConn should build relationships with SNY, Fox, and any non-ESPN TV group that can create a threat of leaving ESPN.
Jim Calhoun's son went to Miami. He was going to UConn when I was there, then transferred to Miami.

Honestly, I think we can fit in either the B1G or the ACC perfectly fine after hearing all that needed to be said. Whoever grabs us first. And I'd be fully content. I would actually rather have our hockey program in the Hockey East than the B1G.

Reaction Score
The ACC did the Notre Dame special deal because its Notre Dame. No other school with the exception of maybe Texas could lure the ACC into doing another one. The ACC won't add another member unless either someone leaves or Notre Dame decides to join.

The ACC might add teams if other conferences begin to expand. Right now the ACC can sit back and wait, they have a desirable number of schools and there are good suitors out there waiting for an invite if the ACC decides to expand. If those suitors start to get gobbled up by other conferences, the ACC might expand just to keep pace.

Part of the reason that the ACC chose Louisville over UConn was that they knew UConn wasn't going anywhere and that they could add UConn at a later date (whereas Louisville might be in the Big XII if the ACC passed on them last year). If it looks like UConn might be poised to join another conference the ACC might act first. That is part of the reason that I think it's important for UConn to get AAU status, not only does it make UConn more attractive to the B1G, but also the ACC.

Reaction Score
But, Conn. actually produces a fair amount of pro and college players per capita, certainly compared to New York and many states. Connecticut is in the top of the fourth of five tier nationally (i.e. 30-35th) in this regard. Yet schools below it like Syracuse and BC have landed in P5s. The mountain west is barren when it comes to finding athletes, and they have several schools too. I think there are marginal things Ct. could do to improve HS football to the level of let's say New Jersey, but I doubt you'd see a great deal of difference. Let's face it, football is not a sport that requires a great deal of practice or skill. Many of us played pickup games before starting high school ball. There are a lot of raw Donald Thomas's out there. I clearly remember my first HS football tryout when the coach told me to get in a 3 point stance. I basically did what I saw on TV and when the whistle blew and I hit the sled, he said, good hit, we'll teach you the rest. It's unlike any other sport.

I wasn't referring to improving the quality of HSFB in CT, as, the numbers posted here and elsewhere show the state produces good talent already. My comment was more to the point of having HSFB played on Friday nights, vs Saturday afternoons. Down South, it makes a HUGE difference.

If you notice, very few, if any, ACC or SEC games are played on Friday nights during the HSFB season. If they do not play on Saturday, they play on Thursdays. The exceptions are during Thanksgiving weekend. But, thats because by then, the states are deep into their playoffs, and, 95 percent of the teams are done with their seasons by then.

Both leagues are very wary of hurting the relationships that their programs have with HSFB coaches in their respective states, or, in neighboring states. This allows the coaching staffs to get out and see more kids play in person. That could not happen if the games weren't played on their respective days.

Not to mention, it'd also hurt the attendance at their own games as well. Given the choice, which game would you, as a parent, go to? Your son's game, or, your favorite college team's? I think we all know the answer to that one. So do the college coaches, and, their athletic departments.

Reaction Score
I wasn't referring to improving the quality of HSFB in CT, as, the numbers posted here and elsewhere show the state produces good talent already. My comment was more to the point of having HSFB played on Friday nights, vs Saturday afternoons. Down South, it makes a HUGE difference.

If you notice, very few, if any, ACC or SEC games are played on Friday nights during the HSFB season. If they do not play on Saturday, they play on Thursdays. The exceptions are during Thanksgiving weekend. But, thats because by then, the states are deep into their playoffs, and, 95 percent of the teams are done with their seasons by then.

Both leagues are very wary of hurting the relationships that their programs have with HSFB coaches in their respective states, or, in neighboring states. This allows the coaching staffs to get out and see more kids play in person. That could not happen if the games weren't played on their respective days.

Not to mention, it'd also hurt the attendance at their own games as well. Given the choice, which game would you, as a parent, go to? Your son's game, or, your favorite college team's? I think we all know the answer to that one. So do the college coaches, and, their athletic departments.

Very good points. I agree.

Reaction Score
Just to play Devil’s Advocate here, even though I agree that HS Football is perfect for Friday nights (which is why college football should not be on the air at all on Friday nights) and Thanksgiving mornings, it’s not that easy. While my HS in CT put in lights while I was in school; not all schools can 1) afford to put in lights and/or 2) the field is in a residential neighborhood and the neighbor can and will put up a major fight to block lights (and traffic). Not even all of the HS football teams where I live now in NNJ have lights and HS football is a lot bigger in NJ than in CT right now. Paramus Catholic (#1 in NJ, #4 in USA TODAY) only received approval in June of 2013 to add lights to their new on-campus field and Bergen Catholic still does not have lights and plays most of their home games in a country park a few miles away that has lights.

Now, I did not know about any of that. I had no idea that it could be that difficult to play on Friday nights where you are.

In my own hometown, the two biggest high schools are located in residential areas, and, I am sure there are residents here who complain about the noise, and, the traffic in their neighborhood. But, if they do, I'm pretty sure the vast majority do not. Its just for about 3 or 3-1/2 hours, and, then its over.

Reaction Score
Also remember that in the HS football powerhouse areas down south and in CA they have to play friday nights because it's too damn hot to play on Saturday afternoons Aug-Oct.

You got that right. Its been a noticeably cooler summer than normal here (I'm in coastal NC), but, this past week, it got up into the 90s again. The high is supposed to top out at around 82 today, but, with the humidity, it'd feel like lower 90s. And, the heat will return in earnest next week, getting into the upper 80s and low 90s again.

Even playing at night can be dangerous, because of the humidity. If kids do not stay properly hydrated, they run the risk of heat exhaustion or worse, heat stroke. So, we have local rescue squads on duty at each game, and, at least at my old high school, a cool down area inside of the concession stand.

Reaction Score
College football in Connecticut got very little mind share as recently as a decade ago. Just like basketball, if UCONN gains traction and prominence in football you'll see more kids gravitate to the sport. But, it will take time, perhaps as much as decade for kids to make it through the ranks. Connecticut will never be a hotbed of recruiting for a number of reasons, but I think you'll see an uptick in talent over the next 10 years. Of course, it is somewhat contingent on a program that progresses in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Now, I did not know about any of that. I had no idea that it could be that difficult to play on Friday nights where you are.

In my own hometown, the two biggest high schools are located in residential areas, and, I am sure there are residents here who complain about the noise, and, the traffic in their neighborhood. But, if they do, I'm pretty sure the vast majority do not. Its just for about 3 or 3-1/2 hours, and, then its over.

People in the Northeast are a little more, shall we say ornery. I have dealt with neighbors who don’t like the fact that I fixed my fence with an identical fence because it was ‘taller.’ When I lived in Boston, I remember when there was talk of replacing Fenway Park some city councilwoman promised to vote against it because the extra 10K the stadium would add 10 minutes to her weekly trip to city hall and the Red Sox are as close to a religion as people get to in the Northeast. It also does not help that for the most part, the Northeast’s major cities are built out so any stadium expansion is likely on top of people’s homes.

Reaction Score
I do believe this is Pasqualoni's last year on his contract. So next year maybe we'll get a good up and coming coach.

We need a young Urban Meyers who has the skills of Walter Camp, Joe Pa and Bear Bryant!!

Reaction Score
People in the Northeast are a little more, shall we say ornery. I have dealt with neighbors who don’t like the fact that I fixed my fence with an identical fence because it was ‘taller.’ When I lived in Boston, I remember when there was talk of replacing Fenway Park some city councilwoman promised to vote against it because the extra 10K the stadium would add 10 minutes to her weekly trip to city hall and the Red Sox are as close to a religion as people get to in the Northeast. It also does not help that for the most part, the Northeast’s major cities are built out so any stadium expansion is likely on top of people’s homes.
I have a sister (shes only 49) who lives near the private school Exeter in Exeter,NH and I laugh when she tells me the noise(band,cheering) bugs her coming through the woods between her home and the property!?!I tell her to me its beautiful and the sound of youth,life,fall and energy and my niece(8) and nephew(6) will be drawn to it soon and watching the games as a preteen are some of my most fond memories of youth along with the smell of burning leaves in crisp fall air!

Reaction Score

Ah, now that makes sense. The cities are quite crowded together, compared to some down here.

Reaction Score
I have a sister (shes only 49) who lives near the private school Exeter in Exeter,NH and I laugh when she tells me the noise(band,cheering) bugs her coming through the woods between her home and the property!?!I tell her to me its beautiful and the sound of youth,life,fall and energy and my niece(8) and nephew(6) will be drawn to it soon and watching the games as a preteen are some of my most fond memories of youth along with the smell of burning leaves in crisp fall air!

Its tough to describe the Friday night HSFB experience to folks who've never experienced it for themselves. I graduated from a small HS in southeastern NC, and, even in the smaller schools (Class 1-A and 2-A), theres something to be said for it.

Reaction Score
Its tough to describe the Friday night HSFB experience to folks who've never experienced it for themselves. I graduated from a small HS in southeastern NC, and, even in the smaller schools (Class 1-A and 2-A), theres something to be said for it.

There are a lot of Friday night games in Connecticut. It depends on the school. My HS had a field with lights and all the home games were in Friday night. We played in Bristol at Muzzy Field, they had lights; St Bernard in Uncasville, lights. Lots of places had lights.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There are a lot of Friday night games in Connecticut. It depends on the school. My HS had a field with lights and all the home games were in Friday night. We played in Bristol at Muzzy Field, they had lights; St Bernard in Uncasville, lights. Lots of places had lights.

Night-Sky-Image.gif

Reaction Score

OK, cool. I wasn't sure if it went on a town by town basis, or, was state mandated.

Reaction Score
Before ESPN set schedules and few teams were televised...many southern college teams played night games. At FSU, back in the 70's, our games were played under the lights.

In September, a day game can be played on a field where on field temperatures go into the 110's and packed stands are decidedly uncomfortable in the afternoon sun. And people wonder why September games are sometimes sparsely attended? I don't go to afternoon games in September. My 29 year old son takes my place since he has more tolerance for the heat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But, Conn. actually produces a fair amount of pro and college players per capita, certainly compared to New York and many states. Connecticut is in the top of the fourth of five tier nationally (i.e. 30-35th) in this regard. Yet schools below it like Syracuse and BC have landed in P5s. The mountain west is barren when it comes to finding athletes, and they have several schools too. I think there are marginal things Ct. could do to improve HS football to the level of let's say New Jersey, but I doubt you'd see a great deal of difference. Let's face it, football is not a sport that requires a great deal of practice or skill. Many of us played pickup games before starting high school ball. There are a lot of raw Donald Thomas's out there. I clearly remember my first HS football tryout when the coach told me to get in a 3 point stance. I basically did what I saw on TV and when the whistle blew and I hit the sled, he said, good hit, we'll teach you the rest. It's unlike any other sport.

You miss the point of this. Because HS football is on Saturday, most families in the state that attend football games go to HS games, which creates a habit of ignoring college football, since you know you can't go to those games. You become disconnected from the college game altogether. And these are people who like football and go to games.

Reaction Score
You miss the point of this. Because HS football is on Saturday, most families in the state that attend football games go to HS games, which creates a habit of ignoring college football, since you know you can't go to those games. You become disconnected from the college game altogether. And these are people who like football and go to games.

Not all games are on Saturday, but I said the same thing you said already.

Reaction Score

Bristol Eastern will soon have lights at the high school which will reduce the wear and tear at Muzzy.

Reaction Score

As a kid in New Haven we walked to the Hillhouse games on Saturday morning. Then we walked over to the Yale Bowl to whach the Eli's in the afternoon.

Reaction Score

I have never been to a high school football game down south, thus I am not maybe way out of my depth here; but, growing-up in CT, the annual Thanksgiving game between Ansonia and Naugatuck was and still is nuts. They have been playing since 1895 and can draw crowds of 10K plus, which is crazy since Ansonia only has 19,000 residents. The Derby/Ansonia game used to also be intense as my Mom would not let me go to the game as fights were very common (driven by the only guard Irish from Ansonia and the Italians from Derby); but, the series took a pause after 80+ games in the late 1990’s/2000’s as dwindling attendance at Derby HS (less than 70 a graduating class) hit the football program hard.

Reaction Score
As a kid in New Haven we walked to the Hillhouse games on Saturday morning. Then we walked over to the Yale Bowl to whach the Eli's in the afternoon.

That was also a major issue with CT football. Yale was the team and national power in football for decades. When the Ivy League downgraded, it hurt football as a whole across CT.

Even today, with UConn’s upgrade to FBS level, the Yale Bowl is still the biggest stadium in the state with a capacity of 60K (it was 70K when first built in 1914). The Rose Bowl, Michigan Stadium, etc. were all copies of the Yale Bowl. The NY Giants played there for a year in the 1970’s while the team transitioned from (old) Yankee Stadium to the (original) Meadowlands.

Reaction Score

I used to be able to hear my HS marching band practice at dinner time in the fall from ½ mile away. Hate raking leaves; but, love the Fall.

New Englanders can be an ornery bunch. Locals had a meltdown when my HS football field got lights while was in high school. My town also voted down the following:

1. In the 1980’s voted down buying the privately owned ice rink for $1 [30 years later, the HS hockey team’s home area is 20 miles away] for seasons I can’t remember

2. Voted down 3 middle school renovations due to traffic concerns even though the school was over capacity by 300 until the state fire Marshall declared it a hazard (while building a 60,000 ft2 senior center)

3. Blocked converting an abandoned rail line into a linear park because for 10 years because of concerns that criminals from New haven would use it to break into people houses [yep, there goes a crook, trying to make a getaway on his mountain bike while carrying a 60” TV], which has now become one of the biggest draws in town

4. Blocked a mall from being built next to a highway interchange zoned for commercial/industrial use because of traffic and ascetic reasons (the neighboring towns that now receive tax revenue from Target, Home Depot, etc. say thank you while the lot is still empty)

5. Due to concerns about cost and nighttime use, built a pool for the town’s championship swim teams with an inflatable roof, which has collapsed three times now and has to be replaced with a real roof

That said, insanity is not confined to New England. Allen, Texas, faced with a $4.5 million dollar hole in their school budget, had to lay over 80 some odd positions; but, was able to receive voter approval to build a $60 million, 18K high school football stadium.

Reaction Score
I used to be able to hear my HS marching band practice at dinner time in the fall from ½ mile away. Hate raking leaves; but, love the Fall.

New Englanders can be an ornery bunch. Locals had a meltdown when my HS football field got lights while was in high school. My town also voted down the following:

1. In the 1980’s voted down buying the privately owned ice rink for $1 [30 years later, the HS hockey team’s home area is 20 miles away] for seasons I can’t remember

2. Voted down 3 middle school renovations due to traffic concerns even though the school was over capacity by 300 until the state fire Marshall declared it a hazard (while building a 60,000 ft2 senior center)

3. Blocked converting an abandoned rail line into a linear park because for 10 years because of concerns that criminals from New haven would use it to break into people houses [yep, there goes a crook, trying to make a getaway on his mountain bike while carrying a 60” TV], which has now become one of the biggest draws in town

4. Blocked a mall from being built next to a highway interchange zoned for commercial/industrial use because of traffic and ascetic reasons (the neighboring towns that now receive tax revenue from Target, Home Depot, etc. say thank you while the lot is still empty)

5. Due to concerns about cost and nighttime use, built a pool for the town’s championship swim teams with an inflatable roof, which has collapsed three times now and has to be replaced with a real roof

That said, insanity is not confined to New England. Allen, Texas, faced with a $4.5 million dollar hole in their school budget, had to lay over 80 some odd positions; but, was able to receive voter approval to build a $60 million, 18K high school football stadium.

I think we live in the same town where people complained a new Stop and Shop would ruin the quaintness of the town while only a half mile away there is a lovely prison. We must share our politicians with Mansfield.

Reaction Score
I think we live in the same town where people complained a new Stop and Shop would ruin the quaintness of the town while only a half mile away there is a lovely prison. We must share our politicians with Mansfield.

Sounds about right.

Mansfield locals are amazing. I remember then complaining about drunk UConn students walking on N Eagleville at night back from Celeron/Carriage House apartments. UConn asked them to approve the University putting in sidewalks between campus and the off-campus apartments. The town said no because it would ruin the town’s New England charm and because there was a paved trail already in place, which had such an appealing nickname - ‘The Rape trail.’ They also pushed hard for the Rent to be built in E Hartford after the Pat’s stadium deal fell apart. Still have no idea how Storrs Center got approved.

In a neighboring town where I live in NNJ now has these lawyers from NYC clamoring in the press about the huge, local grassroots support for the dozen or so lawsuits that have been filed to stop a new Shop Rite from being built, which has been approved by the town. I spend a lot of time in that town due to the YMCA there and have yet to speak to a single person who is against Shop Rite. I found it odd until I read the public disclosures of each lawsuit. Each has been filed by separate legal entities, each of which is owned by, paid for, and filed by the parent company of Stop & Shop, which is next door to the abandoned grocery store and car dealership where Shop Rite is supposed to go.

Town politics…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34