Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course the women are more popular. How is this even a debate? The mens team is just another high level basketball program where with the women there are very few elite programs that register on the publics radar and theyre the biggest name and have been for the last decade. Since 2000 12 different mens programs have won titles while 7 for the women and 10 of the 19 championships were won by Uconn.

You’re assuming people like women’s basketball. They don’t. See the WNBA.

Reaction Score
You’re assuming people like women’s basketball. They don’t. See the WNBA.
No. Im speaking on the popularity both teams have in comparison around the country as far as reach not numbers.

Reaction Score
Women’s hoop is more popular by far. Even internationally people know the UConn ladies.

How old are you, UConnDad? I am picturing white hair and a Members Only jacket.

Reaction Score
I've yet to meet anyone outside of CT. who cares at all about the UConn women's bball team or any other women's bball team.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Women's basketball is more popular among people who don't actually like basketball, unless it involves the UConn women..

Reaction Score
We've been riding Kemba's back for a long time (for good reason) in the popularity dept.....we should be adding depth to that popularity pool sooner or later.

Shabazz and Boatright and Deandre Daniels and Giffey never happened? Shabazz with 2 along with Tyler Olander. Old white guys love the UConn girls as they have had a couple good runs with white girls leading the way. Dianna, Breanna and the first one with Jenn. Kara and Rebecca. They have put up the longest winning streaks on a number of occasions. When we have a good Men's team the popularity is through the roof.

Reaction Score
UConn Women's Basketball is more well known. UConn Men's Basketball is more popular.

Reaction Score
It’s WBB.

Just look at the most viewed videos on @Storrs South’s YouTube channel - he’s been consistently posting both MBB and WBB highlights the last few years. WBB accounts for 97 of his 100 most viewed videos and MBB only 2.
Yeah but since @Storrs South started doing highlights we haven’t been good. If the men are in the top 25 and beating good teams those videos will have a lot more views.

Reaction Score
Yeah but since @Storrs South started doing highlights we haven’t been good. If the men are in the top 25 and beating good teams those videos will have a lot more views.

I spend more time than I care to admit looking at the analytics on the YT channel. You can see that when the team started playing well in Februrary and March it started to line up with WBB numbers.

And playing well here was just getting back on the bubble. Imagine top 25 or championship level contender. I agree with GC's initial point that when the Men are good, its MBB. But its been 4 years of making the tourney and people have short memories. The social interaction even during that run leading to a Round 2 loss to Kansas in 2016 was insane. Ill have to find the graphic but UConn social platforms were the highest in the country during March because of it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can we see some sort of demographic breakout of that graph?

For instance, can we take out fans over 70 and female fans under 12?

Demographics for the men's and women's board are nearly identical.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am mainly a WCBB fan but I respect the job Hurley is doing building the men's squad back into the Top 40. Good luck guys. Maybe I will peak in on a Men's game after watching Paige do her thing. ;);)

Reaction Score
If both are doing well it is the men's team, but women's consistency lift them higher during the men's down years.

View attachment 58992
Google trends, based upon internet searches.
If both are doing well it is the men's team, but women's consistency lift them higher during the men's down years.

View attachment 58992
Google trends, based upon internet searches.
The elderly like the women more then the men. When our men’s team is good they have more fans on TV and in person.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Can we see some sort of demographic breakout of that graph?

For instance, can we take out fans over 70 and female fans under 12?

in other words you want to flat line it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not concerned about where they live. I'm talking more about the cotton head fans who thinks "the men should take shooting lessons from the girls".

"they play the game the way its meant to be played, why cant the men"

and

"the womens team could beat the mens team" (heard every couple years or so when the womens team is a true juggernaut)

are my two favorite memes of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul