Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As they did in 2004 when both won as well.

I'm guessing the Breanna Stewart 4 natties in a row did more for national notoriety. The new super frosh Paige Bueckers has said she's shooting for four in a row as well. She just might do it. She's super talented with a game that is reminiscent of Taurasi (maybe with a little Bird thrown in there.)

Still doomed though.
People were still on 56k modems in 2004. Searches grew with high speed internet becoming widespread.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Can we see some sort of demographic breakout of that graph?

For instance, can we take out fans over 70 and female fans under 12?
Coming from the guy who just had a dozen posts talking about his favorite spots to drink during the George HW Bush administration

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So many awful takes.

Women’s hoop is a really small pie - using a metric like google searches to determine popularity is goofy.
I have a buddy who Googles Katie Lou Samuelson a lot. Has very little to do with basketball

Reaction Score
The UConn Women because a huge number of girls, regardless of geography, want to play for UConn. UConn literally has the pick of the litter. UConn is an inspiration to girls in this country. The UConn Men are one of many good programs and far behind some in popularity. That can't be said about the UConn Women.

C

Chief00

One interesting question: Why does it appear more female students attend the men’s games? The male students also seem to favor attending the men’s games.
Chief has some theories but wants to hear others give there opinion first.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It’s difficult to define popular.

I think more people follow men’s college basketball, therefore the men are more followed in the state of CT.

But what Geno has done with his program has gained a level of notoriety around the country that makes a lot of people fans of the team, even if they have no ties to CT. The program has been a huge role model for young girls around the country, and world even. Just look at Kobe and his family, no ties to CT but huge fans of the program.

Id say the women are more popular globally, but not as many people actually follow the team as the men’s team? I’m not sure if that makes sense

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
After leaving Connecticut and living in Missouri and Kentucky I’d say the woman are the better known. But even that seems to have faded some over the last 5 years or so.

Reaction Score
Coming from the guy who just had a dozen posts talking about his favorite spots to drink during the George HW Bush administration

Right. And I’m still 25 years younger than the average Lady Husky’s fan.

Reaction Score
It’s difficult to define popular.

I think more people follow men’s college basketball, therefore the men are more followed in the state of CT.

But what Geno has done with his program has gained a level of notoriety around the country that makes a lot of people fans of the team, even if they have no ties to CT. The program has been a huge role model for young girls around the country, and world even. Just look at Kobe and his family, no ties to CT but huge fans of the program.

Id say the women are more popular globally, but not as many people actually follow the team as the men’s team? I’m not sure if that makes sense
Good take here. Depends on what you mean about popular. If it means just knowing or being aware of a program then it’s the UConn women. They had an HBO series about them a couple years ago. So, forget whether they are more popular than the UConn men, by that standard they are probably more popular than any men’s program out there. But as far as rabid fans willing to plunk down serious money to get a chance to see them in person, it’s the UConn men. Look at the seat donations. The per seat donation for the women is $0. For the men it is $800, $400, $100 and $50 per seat per year depending on where you are sitting. I talked to my ticket rep about how we have the MOST SUCCESSFUL women’s program of all time but no charge for seats while men’s fans are shelling out tons. She mentioned the amount of elderly folks on fixed incomes that go to the women’s games. I questioned why the elderly on fixed incomes that attend the men’s games have to pay. After a while she said something along the lines of “well, honestly, based on our data the men’s team is just much more popular and we know there is a demand for those tickets”.

Reaction Score
What about the students? My daughter graduated in 2016 and it was no contest which was more popular on campus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm talking more about the cotton head fans who thinks "the men should take shooting lessons from the girls".
It couldn't have hurt having more of the men able to make a lay-up with their off-hand over the years. That's de rigueur for the women.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"We're going to have to set up a senior citizens home and a day-care center most of the their fans are over 60 and under 10." - Jim Calhoun
It's too bad JC couldn't have been classier towards the women's success. Neither he nor the school benefitted from his churlishness.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What about the students? My daughter graduated in 2016 and it was no contest which was more popular on campus.

How do they feel about the Gentlemen Huskies?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So many awful takes.
Women’s hoop is a really small pie - using a metric like google searches to determine popularity is goofy.
But UConn fans are a huge chunk of that Women’s hoop pie. And that's women's hoop not just WCBB hoop. The men's fans are just a small part of the men's CBB pie.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's too bad JC couldn't have been classier towards the women's success. Neither he nor the school benefitted from his churlishness.

I mean we kinda love jc for his churlishness no? That’s #1

#2 is that quote came out after the amazing women’s season in 95 where he was being barraged with “ women can win a title, why can’t you”. Stupidity.

Reaction Score
There are certainly tons of people who recognize UConn for the UConn women because they've been so dominant in their sport for so long but the people saying they run into all sorts of UConn women's bball fans all over the country are completely full of s^^t. Women's basketball just doesn't have many fans, people will tune in to the title game to see if the UConn women can complete an undefeated season and they get a ton of ESPN/media coverage because of their dominance but the idea there are a lot of UConn women's bball fans outside of CT. is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
“Who has more fans” is kind of a pointless discussion. If you leave the Classic Big East footprint and you say “UConn” to someone, they will think of WBB. That’s just the facts.

If that makes you uncomfortable, that’s between you and the very fast sports car I’m sure you own.

Reaction Score
“Who has more fans” is kind of a pointless discussion. If you leave the Classic Big East footprint and you say “UConn” to someone, they will think of WBB. That’s just the facts.

If that makes you uncomfortable, that’s between you and the very fast sports car I’m sure you own.
Disagree......maybe. I think it comes back to what RayistheGOAT said about what one means about “popularity”. If it is simply a case of yeah I’ve heard of UConn cuz their women’s team is great then it’s the ladies. But if it’s based on having more people who actually follow the team, watch the games, etc. then it’s the guys.

Reaction Score
Disagree......maybe. I think it comes back to what RayistheGOAT said about what one means about “popularity”. If it is simply a case of yeah I’ve heard of UConn cuz their women’s team is great then it’s the ladies. But if it’s based on having more people who actually follow the team, watch the games, etc. then it’s the guys.

Yeah, I think you’re agreeing with me.

Reaction Score
The reality is if their both doing well
Who commands the higher ticket price and who is the tougher ticket .
Which program normally makes a profit .
That should answer the question.

Reaction Score
The reality is if their both doing well
Who commands the higher ticket price and who is the tougher ticket .
Which program normally makes a profit .
That should answer the question.
In that scenario it’s not even close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members