Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball? | The Boneyard

Which is more popular UConn Men's Basketball or UConn Women's Basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If both are doing well it is the men's team, but women's consistency lift them higher during the men's down years.

1600974540345.png

Google trends, based upon internet searches.

CL82

Reaction Score
When both are good men’s basketball is more popular
Yep, which makes sense. There are probably less than a half dozen women's programs that it makes sense to even ask the question. UConn, Tennessee, Baylor, Notre Dame, and South Carolina.

Still it crazy how much interest the woman's has had in the last five years.

Reaction Score
The WBB team has a national following that the MBB doesn’t. Nation-wide there are likely far more WBB fans than men’s.

However, if you’re doing on-campus/alum/in-state fans, that’s a different question.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
After living in bama for 5 years, I can emphatically say the women's team is very popular in the south, and the men's is not, even after a championship.

Reaction Score
We've been riding Kemba's back for a long time (for good reason) in the popularity dept.....we should be adding depth to that popularity pool sooner or later.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I encounter more fans of the Women's program in my travels, especially after the down years just prior to Hurley. Lots of these "fans" are very casual to use Chief's term, but people love a winner and the Women's team is always very good or great.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I encounter more fans of the Women's program in my travels, especially after the down years just prior to Hurley. Lots of these "fans" are very casual to use Chief's term, but people love a winner and the Women's team is always very good or great.

UCONN, where the Men are men and the Women are champions.............

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
why do you hate to say it? I'm glad we have a sports team with national fandom.

Reaction Score
That 2014 dual championship may very well have helped popularize women's basketball in the US. The state treated them equally, as champions.

CL82

Reaction Score
That 2014 dual championship may very well have helped popularize women's basketball in the US. The state treated them equally, as champions.
As they did in 2004 when both won as well.

I'm guessing the Breanna Stewart 4 natties in a row did more for national notoriety. The new super frosh Paige Bueckers has said she's shooting for four in a row as well. She just might do it. She's super talented with a game that is reminiscent of Taurasi (maybe with a little Bird thrown in there.)

Still doomed though.

Reaction Score
I agree. True for my extended family in Arizona and Kansas, or if I’m attending a conference and people learn I’m from CT, they’re more likely to bring up women’s than men’s.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
After living in bama for 5 years, I can emphatically say the women's team is very popular in the south, and the men's is not, even after a championship.
Another subjective evaluation of popularity is to consider the recruiting footprint. When the men were big they recruited everywhere. Now, not so much.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Can we see some sort of demographic breakout of that graph?

For instance, can we take out fans over 70 and female fans under 12?
No but there is a lot of geographic drill down. Click on the link.

Reaction Score
No but there is a lot of geographic drill down. Click on the link.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about where they live. I'm talking more about the cotton head fans who thinks "the men should take shooting lessons from the girls".

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not concerned about where they live. I'm talking more about the cotton head fans who thinks "the men should take shooting lessons from the girls".
Meh, you are on the wrong board if you want to grouse about that with anyone who actually cares.

Reaction Score
Meh, you are on the wrong board if you want to grouse about that with anyone who actually cares.

He isn't wrong though. Certain demographics are very likely to be bigger fans of the Women, at least in my anecdotal experience. That said, so is John Q. Public when they win a couple Championships in a row.

I think we have a little bit of a distorted view here because most of the people who post here (on the Men's board) do not represent the typical person.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I would say the women's program is more popular. Every sports fan everywhere knows they are an absolute force...a dynasty.

When Ollie was running us into the ground, I had the thought that it was harder for him to recruit because men didn't want to play at a school where the women's program was better, or more acclaimed.

Reaction Score
Of course the women are more popular. How is this even a debate? The mens team is just another high level basketball program where with the women there are very few elite programs that register on the publics radar and theyre the biggest name and have been for the last decade. Since 2000 12 different mens programs have won titles while 7 for the women and 10 of the 19 championships were won by Uconn.

Reaction Score
It’s a good question. Whenever I talk to elderly people, elderly women mostly who don’t watch sports, when the discussion turns to UConn, “ Oh those UConn girls are amazing”. As Calhoun said a lot of their fans are elderly people.

With the men I believe the popularity goes by player such as Ray and Kemba. You talk with a general sports fan the down years post Shabazz don’t get talked about much, Kemba is brought up in conversation as if 2011 was just a couple of years ago. That’s how much Kemba has meant to the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom