Which Husky would you say had the most dominant game? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which Husky would you say had the most dominant game?

Reaction Score
Thabeet would get more votes here if he didn’t bust post college.
Which game of Thabeet's would you say he was very dominant? We're talking specific games in this thread, not a career. I just looked up his game log and the Seton Hall game some mentioned above was probably his most dominant. 25 points, 20 rebounds and 9 blocks.

His NBA career shouldn't have anything to do with a specific dominant game he had at UConn.

Reaction Score

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Donyell had the most dominant season on both sides of the ball that I've ever seen from a UConn player, and within that dominant season, he had a number of dominant games. As some have mentioned, the two 42-point games against St. John's were standout performances.

The first, Donyell went 20-for-20 from the line with 18(!) boards. The second was a BET game where he set the tourney single-game scoring record and threw down an electric 360 jam on a breakaway. He also routinely blocked 3-4 shots per game. The guy was an absolute force, unanimous Big East POY, and probably the closest thing UConn has ever had to a Wooden award winner.

Reaction Score
Donyell had the most dominant season on both sides of the ball that I've ever seen from a UConn player, and within that dominant season, he had a number of dominant games. As some have mentioned, the two 42-point games against St. John's were standout performances.

The first, Donyell went 20-for-20 from the line with 18(!) boards. The second was a BET game where he set the tourney single-game scoring record and threw down an electric 360 jam on a breakaway. He also routinely blocked 3-4 shots per game. The guy was an absolute force, unanimous Big East POY, and probably the closest thing UConn has ever had to a Wooden award winner.
Donyell actually finished 3rd in the voting for the award in 1994 behind Glenn Robinson and Grant Hill.

Ray Allen finished 2nd behind Marcus Camby in 1996.

Emeka Okafor finished 2nd behind Jameer Nelson in 2004.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Donyell actually finished 3rd in the voting for the award in 1994 behind Glenn Robinson and Grant Hill.

I stand corrected. I somehow misremembered Donyell and Big Dog being neck-and-neck for the Wooden that year. My main point remains, though. Donyell had several games that season that qualify as the most dominant performances I've seen by a Husky.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow! I don' t think I've heard Ray Allen or Kenya Walker's name mentioned.

But I go with Donyell (except for his last game) and Caron

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

I can't find the actual voting but don't forget Kemba getting beat out for the award by Jimmer in 2010-2011.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From pure statistical standpoint, the Donyell games against SJU and Thabeet against SHU are tough to beat.

Putting a layer of context of the importance of the game and how the peformance impacted the game and I really lean to towards Kemba in 2011 with his Maui, BET and NCAAT run. 11-0 in elimination games and he was a beast in almost all of them.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Some honorable mentions should be Kemba Walker v. Notre Dame on Senior Day. Came up short tho, but he absolutely took over in the 2H.

But Ben Gordon in the 04’ Big East Tournament should be Top 2/3 on the list. Locked in.

Reaction Score
That was this game:

The commentary setup is so perfect too. Say goodbye to your ankles, former DPOY.

Classic. That Marquette team had Jimmy Butler and Wes Matthews Jr. on the roster as well. BE in its heyday.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hard for me to pick any one isolated game and all of it's facets. But in terms of domination in a run I can think of nothing even close to Kemba and the 2011 Big East Tourney and NCAA Tourney run. He was the MVP of the Big East Tournament and MOP (Most outstanding player) of the NCAA Tourney. It was mind boggling and is still hard to comprehend. That team had a 9-9 Big East regular season record. Kemba just seemed to pick that team up by sheer will and was the closest thing I have ever seen to someone who truly played as if he KNEW what the destiny and outcome was going to be.

Sorry; I know that wasn't the thread topic but I just couldn't get that out of my mind (and love to relive it!)

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'll never forget that day. My son and I were at a Cub Scout event and we had to listen to the game on the radio on the way home and couldn't believe that Brimah went off for forty.
Wasn't that the game where they were almost all dunks off of alley oops?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
TIL that people remember the details of actual games that didn't happen in the last day or so.

I'd say that Emeka, Donyell and Caron had the greatest ability to dominate a game. Emeka could wreck teams on both ends, that's pretty rare. Emeka averaged a double double for his career, and that's not counting the blocks.

Reaction Score
Wow! I don' t think I've heard Ray Allen or Kenya Walker's name mentioned.

But I go with Donyell (except for his last game) and Caron
Who is Kenya Walker? :) I've seen a lot of names of former players butchered on here but never Kemba's. Wow.

Reaction Score
I can't find the actual voting but don't forget Kemba getting beat out for the award by Jimmer in 2010-2011.
Yup, missed that one. Fredette received 3,761 votes in the poll of nearly 1,000 national media who cover the sport. Kemba was second with 3,356.

Reaction Score
I was nervous going into the 2004 final four only because of the stinger Emeka had, there were reports he reaggravated it during the week. He doesn’t get into foul trouble we beat Duke by double digits, 8 at the very least.

Emeka got into Dukes heads they stopped driving to the rim, and got sloppy remember the errant Luol Deng shot that hit the the side of the backboard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom