Which Husky would you say had the most dominant game? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Which Husky would you say had the most dominant game?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
No love for what Ricky Moore did vs Duke? I know the stats aren't over the top, but he scored double his average, rebounded double his average, held Avery in check the entire game, and IMO delivered us our first. He's the most under-heralded PG, maybe player, we've ever had.

Reaction Score
Not a stat-stuffing game by any means, but my vote is probably 2nd half Okafor vs 1-seed Duke in 2004. That Duke team was loaded, all 5 starters for them ended up in the NBA with Deng and Shelden Williams both going top 10 and JJ Redick going 11th.

Okafor went out with foul trouble and back spasms in the first half and Duke went on a massive run putting them up 10 or so after we had jumped out to an early lead. Emeka didn't get his first bucket until mid 2nd half, but from that point on he controlled the game. He scared Duke right out of the paint and forced Shelden Williams to foul out, but Redick and company hit several big 3s to put Duke ahead. Rashad Anderson responded with a couple 3s and then Emeka iced the game with one unstoppable post-up and one offensive board and putback. Duke meanwhile continued to hoist threes because they knew they couldn't drive against him. Okafor ended up with 18 points and 7 boards in 22 minutes, but the way he dominated when he came back has stuck with me since I watched the game as a kid.

Reaction Score
Not a Uconn game...but NBA playoffs celtics vs bulls...BG and Ray just went bonkers against each other

Absolutely incredible. Watching this video gave me chills. Two of our best warriors battling it out. Makes me so proud to be a Husky!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
No love for what Ricky Moore did vs Duke? I know the stats aren't over the top, but he scored double his average, rebounded double his average, held Avery in check the entire game, and IMO delivered us our first. He's the most under-heralded PG, maybe player, we've ever had.
I've always said that Ricky was the real MVP of that game.

Reaction Score
I believe that Emeka was the most dominant force we ever had on game in/game out basis.
But BAZZ in the 2014 Tourney was something special.
Caron's 2nd half against Maryland might be the single most impressive half of basketball ever by a UConn player, but not winning the game (and the title) takes some of the shine off it.
I know I’m late, but for sure these 2 guys were easily the most dominant players at UConn. Think about how hard it’s been to find players like these lately.

Reaction Score
Going down memory lane, I was trying to remember the most dominant game by a UConn player. Not only points, just true domination (regular and post season).

Need help here, a Ben Gordon game is on my mind. But there are so many other contenders including Caron, Bouknight and of course Kemba.
Yeah, Gordon against Nova in the BE semis I think. In 2004 of course.

Reaction Score
It probably wasn’t a most dominant, but I keep thinking about the game prior to the crushing NCAA tourney loss to Mississippi State in ‘96. The good guys were down at the half to Earl Boykins and Eastern Michigan and Sheffer really settled everyone down in the second half and took over. He finished with 27/7/5 on 10-14 shooting. Great performance.

Reaction Score
I would like to nominate Kemba Walker for the entire 2010 Maui Invitational just being an absolute beast.

Except for the first half of the first game against Wichita St. where he sat in foul trouble. But then came back and scored 29 in second half. Amazingly the rest of the team kept it close in the first half. That game was so close.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Wasn't even close.
I love Ricky Moore and he was great, but everything had to come together for us to win that game. This includes 27 points from Rip, ball handling, clutch FTs and leadership from El-Amin and great defense across the board. Battier and Maggette did very little in this game. That’s a tribute to our defense as a whole, which includes but is not exclusive to Ricky. So saying that it’s not even close is a bit of a stretch.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
After Jimmy
Geno
Brianna

Reaction Score
Sorry if I late to the game, but the most dominant Husky in history was

Jim Calhoun
The Goat
My man crush
Since we're talking about most dominant game, which game would you nominate as Calhoun's most dominant?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
99 Championship, but there are far to many to just name one

The college game is six on six

Reaction Score
I love Ricky Moore and he was great, but everything had to come together for us to win that game. This includes 27 points from Rip, ball handling, clutch FTs and leadership from El-Amin and great defense across the board. Battier and Maggette did very little in this game. That’s a tribute to our defense as a whole, which includes but is not exclusive to Ricky. So saying that it’s not even close is a bit of a stretch.
Rip was the MVP of the game, hands down the best player on the court. Every time they needed a bucket they went to him.

UConn had a great game plan and played a solid game but they weren't near their best. I think that UConn team beats that Duke team 6 or 7 out of 10. El-Amin hit the leaner on Brand and made the final 2 ft's but he played a pretty lousy game. He was nowhere near as bad as he was against Gonzaga but he didn't play well. It was a strange tournament for him and a testament to how great that team was that they picked him up and won it all when he played probably his worst games ever for us.

Reaction Score
Rip was the MVP of the game, hands down the best player on the court. Every time they needed a bucket they went to him.

UConn had a great game plan and played a solid game but they weren't near their best. I think that UConn team beats that Duke team 6 or 7 out of 10. El-Amin hit the leaner on Brand and made the final 2 ft's but he played a pretty lousy game. He was nowhere near as bad as he was against Gonzaga but he didn't play well. It was a strange tournament for him and a testament to how great that team was that they picked him up and won it all when he played probably his worst games ever for us.
Totally agree. I probably overstated the ball handling aspect since we turned the ball over way too much in that game and El-Amin was definitely part of the problem. He just had such a presence and swagger that I always felt comfortable with the ball in his hands, especially in big games.

Reaction Score
Emeka in the second half vs. Duke in 2004 had more to do with coaching decisions than anything else, namely Calhoun’s decision to sit him in the first half after he picked up two fouls. K opted to keep his big men in the game with foul trouble and his two best fouled out, leaving Emeka to have a field day with their third-string center.

After which Calhoun famously said something to the effect of “I learned a long time ago that basketball games are 40 minutes long, not 20 minutes.”

K was absolutely furious after that loss.
I disagree, I was at that game and the way they were calling fouls was ridiculous - Emeka would have fouled out had he played more. I was very confident they'd put away the whistles the last 5 minutes (plus Dook's bigs in foul trouble) and then Emeka would dominate inside. That is what happened.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I disagree, I was at that game and the way they were calling fouls was ridiculous - Emeka would have fouled out had he played more. I was very confident they'd put away the whistles the last 5 minutes (plus Dook's bigs in foul trouble) and then Emeka would dominate inside. That is what happened.
I was there too. I don’t know what you’re disagreeing with. Their two best bigs fouled out and Emeka ended up against their third-string center down the stretch and he dominated.

Reaction Score
A slight detour.

307202807_2006824489516835_2494720367416557597_n.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you! I am astounded that nobody mentioned him until page 4.

Ricky was absolutely unguardable in the first half. We know that because he was telling anyone who would listen “can’t guard me!” Seriously, though, I don’t think we win without that first half from him. It literally kept us in the game.

The second half he returned to his roots, at least from that season, and put his energy into being a lockdown defender. It was a virtuoso performance. Remember how Langdon couldn’t get a shot off the last two possessions? Do you remember who was guarding him? When your only hope for offense is to flop and hope for the best, you can be pretty sure of two things, You are completely outclassed by the defender, and you’re a duke player.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom