When was the last time you went out? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

When was the last time you went out?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I said at the beginning I thought six weeks was the point when we’d start seeing this. I went out a few times yesterday (once just to visit my in laws trapped in assisted living via the window) and noticed a lot of cars on the road. It was a nice day.

I think it’s a mix of fatigue and the realization that kids are not at risk, and younger healthy people are at minimal risk. I think people are looking for a new phase beyond lockdown. Stay safe, wash hands, use sanitizer but have a little more freedom to socialize while keeping some distance. We can’t simply wait this out for two years like this. It isn’t feasible. Most people should expect that they will get it sooner or later. Over half the deaths in MA are in nursing homes and extended care facilities.
We go for a ride every weekend and yesterday there was probably triple the road traffic I usually see. Although I was in Litchfield County instead of Eastern CT for the first time in a month.

Reaction Score
I used to play at Hopmeadow in Simsbury.

I'm 2 miles from RI. They aren't stopping anyone at the border but a bunch of busybodies are calling the cops if they see Mass plates near a golf course. There is a change.org petition going around to open the courses in MA.
Yeah I really hope they come to their senses in MA regarding golf courses. There is no reason whatsoever I shouldn’t be able to walk my course and play with same precautions as surrounding states. Fracking ridiculous. The chart below is MA government stats on the virus. If you are over 60 be careful. Under 60 there’s a .001% mortality rate at this point. I think that will go down even more as warmer weather arrives.
31F9B27D-A069-4771-80CF-1A9315CE1A9E.png

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
That graph is probably not too far off of normal mortality statistics for age groups without the virus (said differently, most people that die are older than 80 years old). Probably not quite as high though.

I work at the hospital so I go to work quite often. Have dealt with covid positive patients there too. There has been a significant shift in patients requiring intubation (ventilators), from approximately 60% initially to about 20-30% now. Thurs and Friday had consecutive decreases in covid-positive hospitalizations, which is an excellent sign. I also go to the grocery store several times a week. I had a few friends over yesterday but we stayed outside in the back yard and did the whole distancing thing. I have also played golf several times, which has been really nice.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The reality is how long can you keep the economy shut down. I'm retired so I don't worry much about our income. But I have two sons who are really worried. Their family income has been cut in half! Oldest was furloughed in NY because his job was deemed non-essential. He's a sales manager for a car dealership that sells around 180 cars a month. He's been out 5 weeks. Filed for unemployment and nothing. NYS can't pay its bills. His wife is a kindergarten teacher. She is putting more hours i preparing online lessons than if she was in the class room.

Our second son was working from home when the shutdowns occurred. Research and marketing is his field. Two weeks ago he was put on 50% pay - part time. This shut down may cause his company to be a permanent casualty. His wife is a nurse at Danbury Hospital - a big hot spot for CT. She comes home exhausted every night.

Third son is on the sea with the 7th fleet - Pacific. His home base is Guam. His ship has been out to sea since August. When the Roosevelt came into Guam with the virus, his ship was back out to sea in two days. We have not heard from him since they left Guam.

However, mortgages still have to be paid. Food on the table, insurance payments. Both are using their vacation monies, for this year, to stay afloat. They can't keep on this path much longer.

We live in a 55+ community and a lot of residents don't want anything to open up until the virus is under control. I understand their thought process. Many have underlying conditions that could lead to contracting the virus. They are panicked and have no intent of leaving the houses. They have everything they need delivered. And all deliveries must be dropped at the door. They will not receive anything from another person's hands.

Reaction Score
Yeah I really hope they come to their senses in MA regarding golf courses. There is no reason whatsoever I shouldn’t be able to walk my course and play with same precautions as surrounding states. Fracking ridiculous. The chart below is MA government stats on the virus. If you are over 60 be careful. Under 60 there’s a .001% mortality rate at this point. I think that will go down even more as warmer weather arrives.
View attachment 53577
We've been presented an inaccurate picture of who is dying. As more and more numbers show how miniscule the death rate is for young people, more and more tv doctors and journalists tell stories of how deadly the virus is for young people.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
You can’t keep it shut down as is for much longer. A lot of people say “you can’t open up the USA right now.” That is a silly point to be making at this time. The reality is that some places are in fact ready to be opened in a progressive fashion, such as the more remote regions and the areas with minimal cases/population densities. All of New England should not remain closed due to NYC. It’s nonsense. The purpose was to flatten the curve and we are doing that right now. Cases requiring admission to the hospital are decreasing in this region, and that is the purpose of flattening the curve - not overwhelming the healthcare system. Those older individuals in that 55 and up community don’t have to leave either way. Things won’t be normal for a while, if ever again completely back to normal. People won’t shake hands for years, likely won’t go to concerts or events for several months/years even. It’s going to be a different world.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
We've been presented an inaccurate picture of who is dying. As more and more numbers show how miniscule the death rate is for young people, more and more tv doctors and journalists tell stories of how deadly the virus is for young people.
This virus has an incredibly low mortality rate, for both young and old. It is very very contagious but not very deadly in terms of mortality rate (there are a lot of people dying but not when compared to the number that are likely infected). There are studies coming out of homeless shelters and prisons with thousands of individuals tested, no symptoms at all, and a positive test result. There are going people dying but it is still an incredibly rare event.

Reaction Score
This virus has an incredibly low mortality rate, for both young and old. It is very very contagious but not very deadly in terms of mortality rate (there are a lot of people dying but not when compared to the number that are likely infected). There are studies coming out of homeless shelters and prisons with thousands of individuals tested, no symptoms at all, and a positive test result. There are going people dying but it is still an incredibly rare event.
Overall it's probably in the range of 2 to 7 times more deadly than the flu and like the flu old people take the brunt of it because of poorer health and compromised immune systems. Interestingly it actually seems to be less deadly than the flu for little kids. One thing they don't seem to talk about is how peoples immune systems will be more compromised once they are let back into society. All this staying indoors, limited movement/exercise, and fear/lack of sleep leads to weakened immune systems.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Just went out for gas for the lawn mower. I was surprised by how many folks were stopping in at this convenience store for something other than gas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just went out for gas for the lawn mower. I was surprised by how many folks were stopping in at this convenience store for something other than gas.

The wheels are coming off. It was predictable. Governments are tightening the screws at the same point where many people are just done. It's not going to end well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The wheels are coming off. It was predictable. Governments are tightening the screws at the same point where many people are just done. It's not going to end well.
Connecticut's political leadership did and is doing what you want(ed) Michigan and Massachusetts (at least with respect to golf) to do in that restrictions are measured and logical. Convenience stores were never not essential. I've been saying for the past 6 weeks that the list of essential services are so broad here that most people could make a case that they were also essential.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Suited up and went to Lowe’s yesterday for some supplies because suddenly my wife can’t stand our bathrooms. It was an absolute poop show. Completely disorganized. Employees on edge acting like patrons are emitting the virus from their pores. One cashier. Took two hours to go in knowing exactly what paint I needed and check out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Connecticut's political leadership did and is doing what you want(ed) Michigan and Massachusetts (at least with respect to golf) to do in that restrictions are measured and logical. Convenience stores were never not essential. I've been saying for the past 6 weeks that the list of essential services are so broad here that most people could make a case that they were also essential.

I know. Gas stations and convenience stores open everywhere. My point is "essential" is meaningless. We need food, medicine, fuel and some other things. So those had to stay open. Everything else should open based on whether they can provide what they do safely, whether essential or not. Golf - perfectly safe. Home Depot and Lowes with capacity restrictions? Quite safe. Most other small retail could open safely too. There is no place more crowded than the average CVS.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know. Gas stations and convenience stores open everywhere. My point is "essential" is meaningless. We need food, medicine, fuel and some other things. So those had to stay open. Everything else should open based on whether they can provide what they do safely, whether essential or not. Golf - perfectly safe. Home Depot and Lowes with capacity restrictions? Quite safe. Most other small retail could open safely too. There is no place more crowded than the average CVS.
My point is the number of people at a gas station convenience store picking up something other than gas is not a sign of the wheels coming off.

It is a sign of people assessing the evidence gathered over the past six weeks (as anecdotal as it may be) and feeling more comfortable reestablishing a closer to normal mode of living, while still operating within the confines of the restrictions.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This weekend will be a huge test for social distancing
I thought last weekend was, but you are not wrong. Supposed to be gorgeous both days and approach mid 70's on Sunday.

Reaction Score

It's astonishing how many cars are out on the road in general.. Where is everyone going?? Why?

We go out a few days a week for quick trips, sometimes I bring my mother groceries. I just don't understand why people need to be OUT so badly. These people are the reason we're not going to have team sports until January.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The essential tag is meaningless.

The liquor store is essential, But the office supply place is not? Whatever.

People in New York are losing their S because beaches in Florida are reopening. These are also the same people who have been cramming every six-foot wide linear park part trail in the state since day one.

A lot of this makes no sense - open the golf courses. It’ll be fine.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The liquor store is essential, But the office supply place is not? Whatever

Unfortunately the liquor store IS essential because of alcoholics. Sadly there are far too many people who would (no exaggeration) be hospitalized (at best, and we dont need any more people in the hospitals right now) or possibly die (at worst; obviously), if cut off liquor cold turkey or without strict medical supervision.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The essential tag is meaningless.

The liquor store is essential, But the office supply place is not? Whatever.

People in New York are losing their S because beaches in Florida are reopening. These are also the same people who have been cramming every six-foot wide linear park part trail in the state since day one.

A lot of this makes no sense - open the golf courses. It’ll be fine.
Liquor stores are open to ease the strain on healthcare facilities. Alcohol withdrawal sometimes requires medical attention. It just happens to benefit the social drinker as well.

Where are office supply stores completely closed? I know Michigan is preventing large box store spaces from making in-person sales of "non-essential" items, but that is to cut down on the browsing. I believe Staples and Office Depot have been deemed essential, given the number of people who are forced to work from home. They are open for online deliveries.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I've played about 20 rounds of golf since this all started. Shaved a few strokes for sure. This has to be the best spring CT golf courses have ever had...times ten. I would love to see their numbers. With states around us closing courses, I'be been paired with lots of players from Mass lately. I haven't seen my local courses this crowded - ever. Stanley's parking lot looked like a Sunday in the summer on a week day last week, and parking was overflowing into the street at Goodwin last weekend. You want a tee time? Wake up early and get that call in!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Unfortunately the liquor store IS essential because of alcoholics. Sadly there are far too many people who would (no exaggeration) be hospitalized (at best, and we dont need any more people in the hospitals right now) or possibly die (at worst; obviously), if cut off liquor cold turkey or without strict medical supervision.
I read an article that said in CT liquor stores, individual trips are down, but money spent per transaction is way up. More people aren't drinking...it's the same people hoarding toilet paper and vodka. I'm one of them. I'd call it essential! Heck, I drove to VT yesterday to load up on some Lawson's. Beer is essential!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom