When was the last time you went out? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

When was the last time you went out?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am went to Blue Fox Run in Avon CT. Only about 35-40 minutes from me through Granby, Tarifville the back way. CT is not stopping out of staters.
I used to play at Hopmeadow in Simsbury.

I'm 2 miles from RI. They aren't stopping anyone at the border but a bunch of busybodies are calling the cops if they see Mass plates near a golf course. There is a change.org petition going around to open the courses in MA.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Grab all kinds of other crap while you are there. They are so big it is pretty safe in there.
I texted my wife saying I should just stock up since I’m already going in and she was mortified saying to get in and out as quick as possible.

Reaction Score
I used to play at Hopmeadow in Simsbury.

I'm 2 miles from RI. They aren't stopping anyone at the border but a bunch of busybodies are calling the cops if they see Mass plates near a golf course. There is a change.org petition going around to open the courses in MA.

Played Hopmeadow a few times back in the day with our local pro in the sectional pro-am annually. Loved the down hill par 3. A fun course to play back then for a private track. I believe they are maybe semi-private now?

C

Chief00

The mask you wear isn’t for you. The mask everybody else wears is for you. We know there are many asymptomatic cases, so masks will slow transmission by those people. That’s the theory. To be protected as a wearer, you need a good mask like an N95. My wife has Filtrete filter material from 3M she now sews into cloth masks. Should make them semi protective, but they still won’t have the tight fit needed.
It’s funny the many asymptomatic cases were given as a reason for using cloth mask since they ”MAY” slow the immediate distance a cough or sneeze travels - but if someone is truly asymptomatic then by definition they are doing neither coughing or sneezing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It’s funny the many asymptomatic cases were given as a reason for using cloth mask since they ”MAY” slow the immediate distance a cough or sneeze travels - but if someone is truly asymptomatic then by definition they are doing neither coughing or sneezing.

Not really true because it is allergy season. I'm coughing and sneezing now and then, but I'm asymptomatic for this disease. Anyway, it is what it is. Anecdotally, masks are in common use across much of Asia, and those countries have almost all fared much better than the west.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's to limit the spread of air droplets from people's mouths or noses. Coughs and sneezes project them farther, but still plenty of them just from talking and breathing.

C

Chief00

Not really true because it is allergy season. I'm coughing and sneezing now and then, but I'm asymptomatic for this disease. Anyway, it is what it is. Anecdotally, masks are in common use across much of Asia, and those countries have almost all fared much better than the west.
They were used in China and as that article said but we will probably never know the results since no one believes their public data. Cloth masks were also used in the 1918 Spanish Flu, which killed 30-50 million. But, one counselor always argue it could have been worse. At any rate, the research in that article says they are ineffective or of very marginal value.

C

Chief00

It's to limit the spread of air droplets from people's mouths or noses. Coughs and sneezes project them farther, but still plenty of them just from talking and breathing.
They neither filter effectively and seldom fit snugly. Do they lessen the propel distance of a cough or sneeze? Perhaps, but the smaller droplets float around like dust particles in direct Sunlight. So the benefit is almost entirely psychological but that’s also a false sense of security.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I played both the Jones and Player courses. Folks ask me which one I like better. My problem is that I mix up the two and can't remember what holes are on which one. Yep I am 62 years old.
I'm a real hacker, but that said, I always struggle mightily at Lyman. Both sides. I played there for the first time in forever last October in the greens keeper tournament. Won't be going back anytime soon.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They neither filter effectively and seldom fit snugly. Do they lessen the propel distance of a cough or sneeze? Perhaps, but the smaller droplets float around like dust particles in direct Sunlight. So the benefit is almost entirely psychological but that’s also a false sense of security.
Did some more research. To be certain particles escape if any mask does not fit tightly. This site has done testing of various materials for efficacy in filtering particles larger than 1.0 microns. They use a Henderson apparatus similar to the set up of Cambridge researchers which they link. The virus causing covid-19 is 1.2 microns.

Testing Materials for Coronavirus

Coughing spews particles greater than 5 microns and we know symptomatic infected people who cough can infect people. The million dollar question is whether aerosols which are smaller than 5 microns but bigger than 1.2 microns cause infections. If aerosols can infect us asymptomatic people with the disease can infect others through breathing and talking. As this next article demonstrates there is a lot of research that needs to be done before we know that answer.

Can Covid-19 be spread through breathing and talking.

Based on these two articles and given that people are social distancing six feet at best, a distance which is arbitrary and not scientifically verified to be safe, I would absolutely recommend people wear even cloth masks over no mask at all.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Went to ACE hardware this morning. Waited outside as there was a 15 person limit in the store. Got most of what I needed.

Later we brought a bunch of masks to friends. Had social distance beers in the driveway with them. Little kids running around and in an inflatable bouncy house. Felt good to feel like a human being again.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Everyone in my household has been working full time without any issues. My wife is a nurse, my daughter is a front manager at a grocery store and my son and I are contractors. For those of you who find yourselves with a business in ruins I send my sympathy for what I could only imagine to be such a feeling of helplessness and uncertainty.
I wish everyone good health and good fortune and may we come out the other side stronger & wiser.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Went to Stop & Shop yesterday to pick up a few things. It still amazes me how people can't find it within themselves to follow simple instructions like the arrows on the floor. For some people its business as usual, do what they want, how they want without regard for anyone else. Of course its Fairfield County, home to some of the most entitled people in the world so I wouldn't expect anything less.

C

Chief00

Did some more research. To be certain particles escape if any mask does not fit tightly. This site has done testing of various materials for efficacy in filtering particles larger than 1.0 microns. They use a Henderson apparatus similar to the set up of Cambridge researchers which they link. The virus causing covid-19 is 1.2 microns.

Testing Materials for Coronavirus

Coughing spews particles greater than 5 microns and we know symptomatic infected people who cough can infect people. The million dollar question is whether aerosols which are smaller than 5 microns but bigger than 1.2 microns cause infections. If aerosols can infect us asymptomatic people with the disease can infect others through breathing and talking. As this next article demonstrates there is a lot of research that needs to be done before we know that answer.

Can Covid-19 be spread through breathing and talking.

Based on these two articles and given that people are social distancing six feet at best, a distance which is arbitrary and not scientifically verified to be safe, I would absolutely recommend people wear even cloth masks over no mask at all.

Thanks for the research and thought. But, since the COVID-19 virus would have only 0.06 to 0.14 microns in an asymptomatic person unless they were coughing or sneezing for some unrelated reason and producing the larger water droplets - none of these cloth or paper masks would filter out much of the virus. Is that a correct understanding? They tested in this study for 1.0 and 0.3, which are 3 to 10 size the size of COVID-19 unless In water droplet.
C89F3542-D792-468F-98C5-E758753544EA.jpeg

Reaction Score
46 days in iso.....we have full freezers.

Fresh groceries three days ago while fully masked in our store that is sparsely populated....now set for another three weeks...

We do get out and walk the trails...along the river, the creeks, by the waterfall...

Oh, we miss our friends and places...but...we have enjoyed this time as a couple in a private world. We have researched local history and walked old paths and located sites of Cherokee long houses, mounds, villages, and where the log Baptist Indian Mission building abandoned in 1838 was located....the mission where local Cherokee gathered for a last service before being marched onto the Trail of Tears....unbeknownst to us, we drive by the site every day. The site is very near our cabin.

Reaction Score
As a reminder —> People w/ Covid-19 are most contagious 24-48 hours before they feel any of the symptoms. I’m firmly in the “every little bit helps” category during a widespread deathly pandemic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what I was afraid of and has been mentioned on here a few times by others. We just don't have the discipline to keep this up much longer and many leaders in our government are giving mixed signals so that people are feeling less and less certain that isolation is necessary. I admit, I am also getting antsy to get back to my life.

“We saw something we hoped wasn’t happening, but it’s there,” said Lei Zhang, lead researcher and director of the Maryland Transportation Institute at the University of Maryland. “It seems collectively we’re getting a little tired. It looks like people are loosening up on their own to travel more.”

Zhang said he anticipates the number of people staying home will continue to drop as some states begin allowing businesses, beaches and other public facilities to reopen. That process began last week in South Carolina and Georgia.

Public health experts say any data showing widespread public resolve or cooperation beginning to wane is noteworthy. Because this is the first U.S. pandemic in 100 years, they don’t know how long people are willing to tolerate cabin fever for the greater good.

Reaction Score
This is what I was afraid of and has been mentioned on here a few times by others. We just don't have the discipline to keep this up much longer and many leaders in our government are giving mixed signals so that people are feeling less and less certain that isolation is necessary. I admit, I am also getting antsy to get back to my life.

“We saw something we hoped wasn’t happening, but it’s there,” said Lei Zhang, lead researcher and director of the Maryland Transportation Institute at the University of Maryland. “It seems collectively we’re getting a little tired. It looks like people are loosening up on their own to travel more.”

Zhang said he anticipates the number of people staying home will continue to drop as some states begin allowing businesses, beaches and other public facilities to reopen. That process began last week in South Carolina and Georgia.

Public health experts say any data showing widespread public resolve or cooperation beginning to wane is noteworthy. Because this is the first U.S. pandemic in 100 years, they don’t know how long people are willing to tolerate cabin fever for the greater good.

Good, more than half of us need to get it. Virus isn't going anywhere, can't hide from it forever.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Thing that is tough for people to grasp and hold steady is the daily numbers have been 25-30k going on a month now. There’s not really giant spikes to keep people people home and no dips to show staying at home is working. The mundane nature of staying home is only exacerbated by the mundane stats.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Went out yesterday for first time in a month. Picked up some topsoil from Agway. Pretty sure I saw someone using a diaper for a mask

Reaction Score
Yesterday, my wife and I tried distance visiting our family for the first time. They have a stream that passes through their property, we stayed on one side while my sister's family was on the other. Perfect set up since we were all able to be outside, but it was a clear demarcation of separation.

My sister has three kids ranging from 3-9 years old, so it's been hard to have them cooped up and not seeing people, but this was a fun way to hang out, play charades and have a drink with my sister and her family. Would like to make this a weekly thing.

Aside from that, still doing isolation by getting all food and essentials delivered and very thankful for my health and ability to be able to go inside and outside as I please. During the afternoon hours of nice days, my streets are getting much more crowded, so my wife and I walk early in the mornings to curb this (7 AM during work days and 8ish on weekends).

Hope you are all doing well. We'll get through this.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I said at the beginning I thought six weeks was the point when we’d start seeing this. I went out a few times yesterday (once just to visit my in laws trapped in assisted living via the window) and noticed a lot of cars on the road. It was a nice day.

I think it’s a mix of fatigue and the realization that kids are not at risk, and younger healthy people are at minimal risk. I think people are looking for a new phase beyond lockdown. Stay safe, wash hands, use sanitizer but have a little more freedom to socialize while keeping some distance. We can’t simply wait this out for two years like this. It isn’t feasible. Most people should expect that they will get it sooner or later. Over half the deaths in MA are in nursing homes and extended care facilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom