When did it become ok? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

When did it become ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Im sure boards are much worse on SEC football threads by a whole country mile. I do bash the team hardcore a lot of times over the top I do admit that but I will never single out one player, as a loss cannot be pinned on one player.

Defending mediocre play btw doesn't help either, it makes you just as much of the problem as the team.

You're a whole different category. I do agree with your first para on not lighting up specific players, but damn, in the chats you are about as depressing at it gets.

If the Huskies made a movie, you'd have the Randy Quaid role from Major League II.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
for "fans" to just tee off on players on this board? Posters have just been trashing Carlton, Vital and Gilbert, and Gaffney and Whalley have caught some fire in the last few hours too. When did making generalized attacks against players become OK on this board? I am not talking about specific criticism of some feature of a player's game or their limitations. We have many posters on this site stating they don't want some of these players to play for UConn anymore.

Why would any recruit want to come to UConn after reading this board?

I want a list of the posters who just trash players from a position of total entitlement and ignorance, so I will know never to read their posts again.

If you see a post that crosses the line, click report.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So you won't need someone to provide a list of all the negative posters for you after all?

So you are on the side of the rage posters going on the Internet to scream at college athletes. Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Im sure boards are much worse on SEC football threads by a whole country mile. I do bash the team hardcore a lot of times over the top I do admit that but I will never single out one player, as a loss cannot be pinned on one player.

Defending mediocre play btw doesn't help either, it makes you just as much of the problem as the team.

So is the standard for behavior on this board what some inbred sister-scaleetoer from Alabama posts?

Reaction Score
Are you really “ ollies guys’ing” this?

Because the few on the team you want to call “ ollies guys” ( and can you call anyone that really anymore? because when all is said and done EVERY player on this team will have played for Hurley longer than KO). Hurley either 1) tried to recruit, or 2) would’ve given his eye teeth for when at URI, or 3) actually re-recruited when getting them to stay.

Hurley likes to mention “ shortening the leash” in regards to his players. I will mention that I’m not anywhere near doing that for him yet, but eventually I may shorten his leash.
Don't you see the problem here.... Ollie recruited like he was running a low mid major team. Just like Ollie won with Calhoun's team, Hurely is losing with Ollie's team. Look at what Ollie accomplished with his guys, Hurely should have cleaned house when he got here.

Reaction Score
Don't you see the problem here.... Ollie recruited like he was running a low mid major team. Just like Ollie won with Calhoun's team, Hurely is losing with Ollie's team. Look at what Ollie accomplished with his guys, Hurely should have cleaned house when he got here.

Hurley is trying to have his cake and eat it too.

He kept all of the Ollie guys, building brotherhood and camaraderie, but then tried to fit them into his system when the talent and physical tools are clearly insufficient for it.

The downside of that strategy is that we keep losing.

The upside/hope is that the young players are getting versed in Hurley's system and will have a smoother transition to winning when the right personnel are in place. If Hurley tried to adapt to the old guard, we might win another game or two, but then he'd be forcing his players to learn multiple systems in a few years.

Not saying whether it was the right move or not, but that's what it is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hurley is trying to have his cake and eat it too.

He kept all of the Ollie guys, building brotherhood and camaraderie, but then tried to fit them into his system when the talent and physical tools are clearly insufficient for it.

The downside of that strategy is that we keep losing.

The upside/hope is that the young players are getting versed in Hurley's system and will have a smoother transition to winning when the right personnel are in place. If Hurley tried to adapt to the old guard, we might win another game or two, but then he'd be forcing his players to learn multiple systems in a few years.

Not saying whether it was the right move or not, but that's what it is.

We didn't lose to Cincinnati because the players were not a fit for Hurley's "system". Hurley got outcoached.

Reaction Score
We didn't lose to Cincinnati because the players were not a fit for Hurley's "system". Hurley got outcoached.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Your "he got outcoached" is the same as saying "he didn't utilize the personnel properly".

I'm saying that may be part of a calculated decision. He has his strategy, he's recruiting for that strategy, and he's using it hell-or-high-water even though it's not optimized for the current roster.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Your "he got outcoached" is the same as saying "he didn't utilize the personnel properly".

I'm saying that may be part of a calculated decision. He has his strategy, he's recruiting for that strategy, and he's using it hell-or-high-water even though it's not optimized for the current roster.

No. He just blew it. I am not going to cover everything he did wrong. I started a thread for that in which only like 4 posters have said anything, because this board would rather thrown feces and trash our players than discuss basketball.

Reaction Score
Not nearly as bad as the chat room
Some of the idiots there are unbelievably caustic
It's not even a pleasure to be on it - it becomes a who can say the nastiest things about AG and Vital but don't dare say anything negative about one of DH's recruits=heresy
Can't wait til my leg heals so I can start going to the games - I miss my seats

i don't condone the hatred towards any player on this board.

on the chat room, you are probably the first person to criticize a hurley recruit, which by the way, are mostly freshmen players except Brendan.
-the criticism of AG and Vital stems from the fact that they have been in college for a while (seniors). It is not heresy for people to defend the underclassman Bouknight, Gaffney, Akok, Adams, it's necessary defense mechanisms being applied towards the younger players in the program opposed to those who are held with higher expectation of leading the team. Are you expecting the 4 recruits to become consistent winners when on the same team as players who have become accustomed to losing basketball for the past 3-4 years?

What happens when players who play losing basketball are mixed with players who are fresh faces to the program are playing side by side? You need to look at who has lost the team games this year, and it's abundantly obvious which personnel have done that. Now again, the hatred towards the upperclass players who have cost us dearly is unacceptable, but to piss all over freshmen is worse considering they will lead the program for years to come.

Reaction Score
No. He just blew it. I am not going to cover everything he did wrong. I started a thread for that in which only like 4 posters have said anything, because this board would rather thrown feces and trash our players than discuss basketball.

Yet this is your response when someone tries to "discuss basketball". It's bad enough that people think you are joking.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

But he didnt

A coaching fail?

Reaction Score
But he didnt

A coaching fail?

You know he inherited the Land of Misfit Toys as well as I do. One guy can't jump, another can't dribble, one guy is allergic to rebounding, another tries to drive through 2 or 3 taller defenders repeatedly and shoots 30%, another one never met a shot he didn't like and Whaley busted his butt to become a serviceable D1 big.

Hurley retained all of them and that's not a mistake, it's his style. He WILL have this team ranked next season. Isn't that the goal, to get back to being ranked and make tournament runs?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You know he inherited the Land of Misfit Toys as well as I do. One guy can't jump, another can't dribble, one guy is allergic to rebounding, another tries to drive through 2 or 3 taller defenders repeatedly and shoots 30%, another one never met a shot he didn't like and Whaley busted his butt to become a serviceable D1 big.

Hurley retained all of them and that's not a mistake, it's his style. He WILL have this team ranked next season. Isn't that the goal, to get back to being ranked and make tournament runs?

If its "not a mistake" to retain then it erases the "ollies guys" narrative, doesnt it?

Hey man Im a UConn fan. I still believe (and more, want to believe) in Hurley . I dont believe he is the wrong hire.

But then I see all these Hurley adherents blaming KO still or worse the kids, and I think Im one of the few on here that listens to Hurleys own request. "Dont go after the kids, go after me" .

Reaction Score

I'm hoping Hurley is into developing a culture like that at Clemson football. I know some alums who say Dabo is genuine and real about making the team a family wherein the players and coaches all care about each other.

Take a look at the personal development consultants Hurley has brought in to work with the team and instill in them the principles that will make them better and more accomplished adults after graduation, whether they have a career in basketball or spend all their time monitoring sports message boards searching for wisdom.

Reaction Score
If its "not a mistake" to retain then it erases the "ollies guys" narrative, doesnt it?

Hey man Im a UConn fan. I still believe (and more, want to believe) in Hurley . I dont believe he is the wrong hire.

But then I see all these Hurley adherents blaming KO still or worse the kids, and I think Im one of the few on here that listens to Hurleys own request. "Dont go after the kids, go after me" .

In the 4 losses this season the starting backcourt is shooting something like 23 for 99. You will NEVER see that from Cole, Bouknight, and/or Gaffney as Sophs and a Junior next year. You know that as well as I do. So yes, Ollie's guys have been the driving force in the losses. To deny that would be ignoring the plain truth right in front of you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In the 4 losses this season the starting backcourt is shooting something like 23 for 99. You will NEVER see that from Cole, Bouknight, and/or Gaffney as Sophs and a Junior next year. You know that as well as I do. So yes, Ollie's guys have been the driving force in the losses. To deny that would be ignoring the plain truth right in front of you.

The starting backcourt are shooting poorly because they are taking terrible shots. Vital is a good shooter when he takes good shots. This is a coaching problem, not a player problem.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Cole, Bouknight, and/or Gaffney as Sophs and a Junior next year. You know that as well as I do.

No I dont know that.

Bouk you can see coming.

You are putting a lot of stock in Cole which is a major wild card. I like what I see out of Gaffney mostly but there is a ton unknown there too.

I loved what I saw out of limited Gilbert his first two years here. Not always an accurate predictor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This team, this year, has bubble team talent. Let's see what Hurley does with them the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
No I dont know that.

Bouk you can see coming.

You are putting a lot of stock in Cole which is a major wild card. I like what I see out of Gaffney mostly but there is a ton unknown there too.

I loved what I saw out of limited Gilbert his first two years here. Not always an accurate predictor.

I will bet you $100 right now that the 3 guards I named will shoot better than 23% in UConn's first 4 losses next season. Put your money where your mouth is. You won't, because you know I'm right.

Reaction Score
But he didnt

A coaching fail?

Too soon to say coaching fail in long term, I don’t know his vision but short term yes. The results are what they are and this year hasn’t been a good look for Hurley. Once again that’s short term I still have faith Hurley will get this program turned around.

Reaction Score
This team, this year, has bubble team talent. Let's see what Hurley does with them the rest of the year.

As a fan I wanted to believe this coming into season but reality this team has nit bubble talent.

Reaction Score
The starting backcourt are shooting poorly because they are taking terrible shots. Vital is a good shooter when he takes good shots. This is a coaching problem, not a player problem.

You think Hurley doesn't want Vital and Gilbert to improve their shot selection?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You think Hurley doesn't want Vital and Gilbert to improve their shot selection?

I don't know. Look at the shots they have taken all season. Is it a secret they take terrible shots? Can't Hurley get them to stop, or has he lost control of the team? Or maybe he can't tell the difference himself. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom