When did it become ok? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

When did it become ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ve only come to know of the Boneyard in the past two years and it does seem like people go berserk after a loss. If the players ever do read these threads I doubt any of them give a flying cr@p what anyone on here thinks of them.

I had the luxury (at least I think it was) of sitting court side for the game Wednesday night and the one player who seems to get called out on here the most (CV) was the one who I thought looked the most locked in and ready to go during warm ups. CV also was the most enthusiastic at the end of the game. CV and Gaffney were the only players aside from Hurley to give a high five on the way out. I probably sound like an 8 year old writing this but those are things that still stick out to me even during this tough stretch. Some posters just need to settle down and appreciate what we’ve had for the past two decades. UC fans would trade places in a heartbeat. UConn has always been my one saving grace as a fan of Cincinnati professional sports lol. Have some of you never been exposed to a rough stretch of losing before? I know there are a plethora of Giants, Celtics and Patriots fans here so maybe the expectations for UConn basketball right at this moment could be lowered just ever so slightly. Hurley will have them back in the NCAA tournament by next season. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
This board and no other fan board would exist if people aren't supposed to talk about how the players play.
I agree with you on that, but there needs to be a line where posters don't take personal shots at the players. Think about this, if the players were wilfully disregarding what Hurley was trying to teach them...would they see any playing time? Blast Hurley if you have a problem with the product you see on the court.

Reaction Score
The OP was inferring that recruits won't come here if they read the-boneyard. If they can't take heat from fans when they play bad then don't play sports. Every fanbase is the same.
I know what was written, I'm pretty sure that I understand what was inferred. But, I have a problem when "FANS" assume that because they bought a ticket, a hat or a damn shirt that they can step over the threshold of decency and say or do whatever they want to. There is a fine line between fanatics and idiots.

Reaction Score
I have never had patience with fans who take losses personally, as if they weren't trying just to offend you.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Then he will fail like every other head coach in every sport that takes the same approach. I’m fine with him imposing intangibles like effort, hustle and accountability on every roster he has. That’s culture. If he thinks he can play five out offense with every roster he will ever have that’s insanity. Maximize the value of every guy on your roster. That needs to be the goal.

I disagree with this. It definitely works with some coaches, not others. Phil Jackson was incredibly successful in his system when he had the right guys. Popovich. Brad Stephens. etc etc

We are not going to have the same guys next year. So clearly, it's not going to matter as far as fitting square pegs into round holes* as time moves on. That's rebuilding. It's fine, as long as we keep moving forward.

Now you can disagree with some of Hurley's rotations, needing a quicker hook and whatever, and I'd be fine with that. But I'd argue he should want to instill his system into the young guys now, so that they'll be able to play it next year unconsciously and integrate the new guys seamlessly.

I'd also argue that for college basketball, consistency of system is very important. It's how you get new/quality recruits, as they know where/how they will be playing. Recruits don't want to hear "Don't worry we'll find a place for you".

*I think people make way too much of the Hurley factor right now. Yes, he still needs to develop as a coach, and he's aware of that. But we don't have great personnel right now. A lot of limited players. I'm not going to talk about individuals, as they seem like good kids, but ignoring their significant limitations is foolish imo.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree with you on that, but there needs to be a line where posters don't take personal shots at the players. Think about this, if the players were wilfully disregarding what Hurley was trying to teach them...would they see any playing time? Blast Hurley if you have a problem with the product you see on the court.

Not speaking specifically of this team at all, but let's say you have a team of awful players. You blast the coach for the product on the floor? That's just stupid. You could blast him for poor recruiting, sure. But if a guy stinks, nothing you can do.

Calhoun wouldn't take this team anywhere. Compare for example the 2009/10 Huskies. They were an NIT team and they would demolish the current UConn team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I disagree with this. It definitely works with some coaches, not others. Phil Jackson was incredibly successful in his system when he had the right guys. Popovich. Brad Stephens. etc etc

We are not going to have the same guys next year. So clearly, it's not going to matter as far as fitting square pegs into round holes* as time moves on. That's rebuilding. It's fine, as long as we keep moving forward.

Now you can disagree with some of Hurley's rotations, needing a quicker hook and whatever, and I'd be fine with that. But I'd argue he should want to instill his system into the young guys now, so that they'll be able to play it next year unconsciously and integrate the new guys seamlessly.

I'd also argue that for college basketball, consistency of system is very important. It's how you get new/quality recruits, as they know where/how they will be playing. Recruits don't want to hear "Don't worry we'll find a place for you".

*I think people make way too much of the Hurley factor right now. Yes, he still needs to develop as a coach, and he's aware of that. But we don't have great personnel right now. A lot of limited players. I'm not going to talk about individuals, as they seem like good kids, but ignoring their significant limitations is foolish imo.

Those guys all adjusted. Hell Phil built the triangle for Jordan. Then used it with the most Jordan like player post Jordan with Kobe. Stevens played 5 out with Horford at center. Now Horford is gone and he has Enes Kanter and does not play 5 out. He adjusted his system to utilize Kantner.

That is all I’m asking for. Josh has shown he can be incredibly effective playing back to the basket and not being asked to be the primary outside screener. He’s showing he cannot score inside playing a face-up game. It’s obvious. He’s an asset and he’s being wasted.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Those guys all adjusted. Hell Phil built the triangle for Jordan. Then used it with the most Jordan like player post Jordan with Kobe. Stevens played 5 out with Horford at center. Now Horford is gone and he has Enes Kanter and does not play 5 out. He adjusted his system to utilize Kantner.

That is all I’m asking for. Josh has shown he can be incredibly effective playing back to the basket and not being asked to be the primary outside screener. He’s showing he cannot score inside playing a face-up game. It’s obvious. He’s an asset and he’s being wasted.

Fair, but those players are there forever. And they bring in new players to complement the system.

But this is much harder in college. Then you are cycling through a new system every other year and players can't get adjusted.

Players aren't as good in college and can't pick things up as quickly. Nor do they have the same amount of time and coaching to do so. They need a year or two in a system to get it wired.

If you're always changing they are lost. Much better to find guys that fit what you do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds