When did it become ok? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When did it become ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, what's to discuss?
That's really the ending point, not the starting point.
A lot of the stuff here written is pretty much fans doing their part as poorly as the players and the coaches doing theirs. And posting is the only part that the fans have some control over.
Lose-lose-lose situation.
There's a ton to discuss. Why have we reverted to such careless play since Charleston? Why has Carlton regressed? Why is Gilbert back to driving too deep getting swallowed up down low/falling out of bounds? Why are we running a weave at the top of the key where the spacing is so bad players are running into each other? Why is Carlton always coming out to near the three point line on offense/why do our bigs hand off to our guards on the perimeter with their backs to the basket and or setting picks on the perimeter and not rolling to the hoop? Why don't we use Bouk on the baseline in that Lamb role? Why is our starting lineup the same? Why do Gilbert and Vital struggle so much against non cupcakes/why are they shooting 23% in our 4 losses? Why is our one guy who can create his own shot and score still coming off the bench? Why did we come onto the court looking like we didn't want to play last night?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion you tailor your coaching to maximize the abilities of the guys you do have, not seeing it lately. We haven't looked good since Charleston and I think it's a combo of our coach not putting the players in the right positions to be successful and the players not executing. The roster isn't ideal but there is enough for us to have a good team and nights like last night should no longer happen, IMO.

Problem is, Hurley's not. That's not who he is. He's got his system and the way he likes to play and if you fit, great. If not, then he'll get someone who will. We may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Maybe he adjusts idk, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
I disagree totally - I have spoken to many of the players and coaches - past and present - and they know of and many read the boneyard.

No offense and not to detract from the discussion, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that current players read this board, for a number of reasons, let alone even know about it. How many current players are you saying have told you this?

Reaction Score
No offense and not to detract from the discussion, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that current players read this board, for a number of reasons, let alone even know about it. How many current players are you saying have told you this?
Why are 20 year old great athletes reading and caring about the opinions of a bunch of fat middle aged guys who can't run down the court.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@superjohn Yeah I wasn't gonna bring up his 'toxicity' in that thread. If he couldn't see the irony before, he won't suddenly get it now.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
for "fans" to just tee off on players on this board? Posters have just been trashing Carlton, Vital and Gilbert, and Gaffney and Whalley have caught some fire in the last few hours too. When did making generalized attacks against players become OK on this board? I am not talking about specific criticism of some feature of a player's game or their limitations. We have many posters on this site stating they don't want some of these players to play for UConn anymore.

Why would any recruit want to come to UConn after reading this board?

I want a list of the posters who just trash players from a position of total entitlement and ignorance, so I will know never to read their posts again.

When? I remember the same kind of complaints about Ricky and about Taliek, so it's not new. Beverly?

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see postings (my own included) when they are being paid to play!

Reaction Score
Problem is, Hurley's not. That's not who he is. He's got his system and the way he likes to play and if you fit, great. If not, then he'll get someone who will. We may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Then he should've brought in his own players from the jump, you have to be able to adapt to what you have or you're putting youself behind the 8 ball for years. He's too young to be that stubborn, that's Boeheim stuff.

I expect him to make changes.

Reaction Score
i agree with the thought of it's gotta 100% danny's team.

Trust the process, the sixers sucked longer than uconn.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Are you really “ ollies guys’ing” this?

Because the few on the team you want to call “ ollies guys” ( and can you call anyone that really anymore? because when all is said and done EVERY player on this team will have played for Hurley longer than KO). Hurley either 1) tried to recruit, or 2) would’ve given his eye teeth for when at URI, or 3) actually re-recruited when getting them to stay.

Hurley likes to mention “ shortening the leash” in regards to his players. I will mention that I’m not anywhere near doing that for him yet, but eventually I may shorten his leash.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The players on our team, suck at high level division 1 basketball. Could they suck less in the future? Sure but currently they suck. Players know about the board read it and laugh at people who lost here... if a recruit makes a life decision based on what some neckbeards say on the internet it’s better they don’t come here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not nearly as bad as the chat room
Some of the idiots there are unbelievably caustic
It's not even a pleasure to be on it - it becomes a who can say the nastiest things about AG and Vital but don't dare say anything negative about one of DH's recruits=heresy
Can't wait til my leg heals so I can start going to the games - I miss my seats

The chat is almost unbearable. One mistake and that player is “trash”. Two and he should be benched. Three, and they hope he transfers. Awful stuff.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Then he will fail like every other head coach in every sport that takes the same approach. I’m fine with him imposing intangibles like effort, hustle and accountability on every roster he has. That’s culture. If he thinks he can play five out offense with every roster he will ever have that’s insanity. Maximize the value of every guy on your roster. That needs to be the goal.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There's a ton to discuss. Why have we reverted to such careless play since Charleston? Why has Carlton regressed? Why is Gilbert back to driving too deep getting swallowed up down low/falling out of bounds? Why are we running a weave at the top of the key where the spacing is so bad players are running into each other? Why is Carlton always coming out to near the three point line on offense/why do our bigs hand off to our guards on the perimeter with their backs to the basket and or setting picks on the perimeter and not rolling to the hoop? Why don't we use Bouk on the baseline in that Lamb role? Why is our starting lineup the same? Why do Gilbert and Vital struggle so much against non cupcakes/why are they shooting 23% in our 4 losses? Why is our one guy who can create his own shot and score still coming off the bench? Why did we come onto the court looking like we didn't want to play last night?
Not a bad set of questions.

Thanks for offering the opportunity for others to help you answer them and elevate the conversation. Seriously.

Then again, if I asked "WHY don't more posters ask and answer thoughtful questions?" it would likely dead end as most "Why?" questions do. Either that, or some version of, "We (I) got a right to say what I want." Many feel that way. Most, when they do, are no better as fans than last night's players and coaches were as players and coaches.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

for "fans" to just tee off on players on this board? Posters have just been trashing Carlton, Vital and Gilbert, and Gaffney and Whalley have caught some fire in the last few hours too. When did making generalized attacks against players become OK on this board? I am not talking about specific criticism of some feature of a player's game or their limitations. We have many posters on this site stating they don't want some of these players to play for UConn anymore.

Why would any recruit want to come to UConn after reading this board?

I want a list of the posters who just trash players from a position of total entitlement and ignorance, so I will know never to read their posts again.

You were one of a small group of disgruntled posters, who retroactively disliked everything I posted for the past 8 years, regardless of content. Now you are born again and lecturing everyone about being negative. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
I think many are just shell shocked by this teams performance since 2016. UConn has gone from titles in 2011 and 2014 & a respectable, albeit brief, showing in 2016 to absolute and total oblivion since.

A down year for a program like UConn is supposed to be an early NCAA exit or a 1 year exile to the NIT like it was for 26 years (1990 - 2016). During that period we never had more than a 1 year absence from NCAA and those misses were very few and far between.

The past 3 (and now maybe 4) seasons the team has been a disaster & not much fun to follow for the most part, the occasional false glimmer of hope followed by a dismal crushing like Cincy put on us. The players are the collateral damage to the UConn fans current misery.

I try not to bash players and when I do I try to coat it with some love and humor. Venom has no place towards UConn and its players.....the program has given us far more than we could ever have imagined...but we are fans and we act fanatical some times.

It's hard to have to give up on seasons so early on like we've had to since 2016, let's hope for proof of life soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think many are just shell shocked by this teams performance since 2016. UConn has gone from titles in 2011 and 2014 & a respectable, albeit brief, showing in 2016 to absolute and total oblivion since.

A down year for a program like UConn is supposed to be an early NCAA exit or a 1 year exile to the NIT like it was for 26 years (1990 - 2016). During that period we never had more than a 1 year absence from NCAA and those misses were very few and far between.

The past 3 (and now maybe 4) seasons the team has been a disaster & not much fun to follow for the most part, the occasional false glimmer of hope followed by a dismal crushing like Cincy put on us. The players are the collateral damage to the UConn fans current misery.

I try not to bash players and when I do I try to coat it with some love and humor. Venom has no place towards UConn and its players.....the program has given us far more than we could ever have imagined...but we are fans and we act fanatical some times.

It's hard to have to give up on seasons so early on like we've had to since 2016, let's hope for proof of life soon.
I think the overt frustration is showing a bit more this year compared to the previous two because we saw a real glimmer of hope in Charleston early on. In 17-18 and 18-19 there really wasn’t much room for optimism but I sense many of us are more hopeful and engaged this season. Many of us should step away from our keyboards for a day or so after bad losses but there’s a level of catharsis in venting after a game. Public personal attacks on young kids though is completely uncalled for.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So the response to the first post in this thread is a bunch of posters arguing that the kids deserve to be trashed.

Stay classy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are you really “ ollies guys’ing” this?

Because the few on the team you want to call “ ollies guys” ( and can you call anyone that really anymore? because when all is said and done EVERY player on this team will have played for Hurley longer than KO).

Who cares if he coached them longer? What does that matter? The reality is there are a lot of low ceiling dudes. You can't turn copper into gold. No matter how long you work at it.

Hurley either 1) tried to recruit, or 2) would’ve given his eye teeth for when at URI, or 3) actually re-recruited when getting them to stay.

Eh, a number of guys on our team are not high major players. As you say, Hurley tried to recruit some of our guys to URI. That should tell you something. That's not a positive.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Then he should've brought in his own players from the jump, you have to be able to adapt to what you have or you're putting youself behind the 8 ball for years. He's too young to be that stubborn, that's Boeheim stuff.

I expect him to make changes.

Not that your wrong, but the Hurley's are famously stubborn. It's a positive...and in this case, a negative.

Reaction Score
I disagree totally - I have spoken to many of the players and coaches - past and present - and they know of and many read the boneyard.
I had two children play college sports and coached hundreds who played soccer at all levels of college and I wouldn't want them to read some of the things written here if it were directed at them
Don't give me any 1st amendment rights crap - some of the stuff is just plain mean and hurtful
And saying you are a diehard doesn't give you the freedom to be nasty
I honestly feel for kids like TB, JAdams and now AG - most of the guys on this board couldn't run up and down the court 5 times never mind doing what is expected of these 20 year olds.
They all played terribly yesterday but none should leave the school or be exiled
It's up to DH and staff to sit or play them and most of the players are doing what they are told to do.

If, as you say, they're doing what they are told then you're saying no one has told our centers to look for cutters and/or to pass the ball out if they're doubled when they get the ball down low? And no one is telling the guards/wings to cut to the basket if the center gets doubled? And no one has told the guards not to over penetrate?

Our center made some great passes out of doubles in the Miami game and yet he seems to have forgotten how well it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom