What's the point? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What's the point?

Reaction Score
Temple sux. Cmon. Gaffney does nothing either. We have no one
I agree. Temple is no Wichita, Villanova, Houston, Tulsa, or Memphis. They got Temple at home at Gampel with a raucous home crowd. That's a huge advantage.

Reaction Score
Iagree with him. We got pounded with no calls, not touch fouls but slammed and no call, then we go down and get a moving screen?
I was screaming at the tv. Possession after possession it seemed to be the same thing. I remember one drive no call, think it was vital, the defender had his arm around him like a bare hug and no ball. Bouknight got abused. Its aggravating and frustrating too feel like this continues to happen game after game. So many ticky tack fouls called on Bouknight, Whaley and others, while stronger more forceful contact from Memphis goes unpunished.

Reaction Score
I'll take the PG in Gaffney who makes good decisions
Gaffney makes good decisions? He does nothing. Even tho he’s a frosh , he’s clearly not ready. Thought he’d be much farther along right now. Very disappointing this year. Crazy to say, but id still rather have AG in there, at least u kno he can play good on the ball D and maybe (25% chance get to the hole, drop a dime or make a jumper) , Gaffney prolly 10% chance. Sorry it’s true

Reaction Score
There was more contact from Achiuwa on that play than the call on Whaley who was moving backwards hands straight up, Achiuwa created the contact. Always getting the short end of the stick.
Awful foul call on whalley. Precious literally threw himself into whalley. Whalley had his arms up holding position.

Reaction Score
Awful foul call on whalley. Precious literally threw himself into whalley. Whalley had his arms up holding position.
I agree. There was more contact from precious on the other end. Total BS.

Reaction Score
Who else are you going to put in coach? Gaffney didn't do a damn thing today. NOTHING. I stick with my veteran players in that situation. I really don't care what you have to say.

Your veteran players have resulted in nothing but awful offense, losing seasons, and the worst stretch the program has seen in 40 years.

But sure. Good plan.

Reaction Score
Your veteran players have resulted in nothing but awful offense, losing seasons, and the worst stretch the program has seen in 40 years.

But sure. Good plan.
You didn't even answer my question.

Reaction Score
You fight and scrap for 36 minutes every game and then give it to AG and CV to go 1 on 5. Same script every single game for years. What's the point of all that wasted energy when you give them the same keys to crash the car every single time. You will never ever get a different result.
And ur strategy would be?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Every game is lost before the final 4 minutes despite us being tied or leading going into those last 4 minutes. Brilliant analysis, now why do you think that is...

I gave you a like for the Stuart Smalley comment.
Other than Florida, the team has not demonstrated itself to be capable of winning a game when the other team is within striking distance. I've seen ill-advised shots, unnecessarily-rifled passes, dead-end drives to the basket, shots not taken before the clock expires, lost dribbles, substitutions that look like secon-guessing, and today a late foul so perplexing that it might raise point-shaving suspicions in another time and place (NOT today).

I no more know why this is the case than I know why, from all that I wrote, this is what you fasten on. If you've got the best analysis, I'll look for your reminder of this several years out from now.

More to the present, how do you regard the various ways in which Akok shot 1-7 today?

"They'll soon drop" ?
"He's got to do _______" ?
"[Someone else] has to do ___________" ?
“You are what your record says you are" ?
Or something else?

And, btw, I agree that Gaffney's got the best court vision /passing combo. That's part of the patience I mentioned having.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have a secret hope that Sal decides that the bulky Carlton experiment is a failure and he trims him down while still going building up his upper body and that it give us a quicker JC who isn't glued to the floor and can finish at the rim.
There goes your secret. I'd like it too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Handling your frustration about a loss with belligerent posting is a such a sad thing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
mr akok better start getting some buckets soon. on the other hand, mr wilson will be back, and then we can resume our swooping and hoopin persona. free gaffney. after his oop attempt with James, which ended in foul shots, he was smiling from ear to ear, like 'everybody knows the play, and still we can get it regularly.' everybody.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The point is the Young bucks are getting game experience for most of the game. And besides the Young bucks aren't shooting much better so put it in the hands of more seasoned guys. Makes sense to me. I'm also two days deep into hydrocodone after knee surgery....
Heal well, stay ahead of the pain, but drop off the hydrocodone as soon as you can.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone expect a different result today with the same guys playing at crunch time.
There are some trips down the court that are difference makers.
On those trips we either turn the ball over or rush a bad shot. We never take time to make the other team work and!make a mistake.
Same story different game.

Reaction Score
Still think AG is better passer /distrbutor. I mean shoot, I cud do what Gaffney does- bring the ball across the timeline and make safe pass to open guy on wing 25 feet from basket. When do you ever see him penetrate and dish to someone for an open look? He’s prolly are safest , most careful, most afraid to do anything pg. doesn’t make him a better passer than Ag

Reaction Score
We have you.
You're pretty good, right?
I’m decent fir a 40 yr old lol. . Be honest. U expected more from Gaffney by now. His stat line was 0/0 today. I’m defending AG by trying to simmer all this Gaffney talk. Doesn’t matter who’s in late. We re not good right now. It’s ok to say it. Better times ahead

Reaction Score
AG vs. Gaffney..Same argument different thread.

Without listing every one, I think every point that has been by all posters, pro and con , for each player is valid.

I’ve been pro Gilbert since he became a Husky and for most of this year. However, his play in the Houston game finally pushed me to my frustration limit and I lost my tolerance for his carelessness.

Gilbert has skills that make him valuable to the team and I still want him to be a part of the team and contribute.

However, Gaffney is the future. He is a talented player and one of the pieces of the rebuild who needs to get as much pt as possible including at crunch time. If that means mistakes will be made then so be it. Let him learn and grow from it.

It will pay dividends when theres more talent on the team. He is going to be a really solid player when his Husky days are over.

Reaction Score
AG vs. Gaffney..Same argument different thread.

Without listing every one, I think every point that has been by all posters, pro and con , for each player is valid.

Or, we could not pit two guys who are very important parts of both this year’s team and this program’s growth against each other as some sort of either/or.

Hurley did everything just mentioned to give Gaffney exposure today. When JG’s sixth shot attempt of the game was swatted back to him with six minutes left and it was abundantly clear this spot was too much for him, Hurley put a group out there that had the best chance and things played out from there.

No matter how many message board heroes want to act like they know more about handling this roster than an incredibly talented major D1 coach, it will not become true. Hurley knows this team, the talent, who can handle which situations much better than anyone else, and his decisions reflect that.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m decent fir a 40 yr old lol. . Be honest. U expected more from Gaffney by now. His stat line was 0/0 today. I’m defending AG by trying to simmer all this Gaffney talk. Doesn’t matter who’s in late. We re not good right now. It’s ok to say it. Better times ahead

Thanks for a combination of light & serious response. I think we are what we are: almost good, more worth watching than all but one year since 2014, a group of guys I can pull for, who are thus far incapable of shutting down the opposition at the end of the game.

We already know that we don't have a winning scorer by experience, disposition, or demonstrated overarching talent. Once the numbers flip, this team is prone to ugly errors that come with the territory. But they simply do not warrant the attacks they get here. Calhoun's evident theme is what's needed during the last 4 minutes: a 'make other guys lose' mentality.

If you're pushing me to offer a 'disappointment' scenario, it'd be that they don't have the hardo quality that would have made Temple a 30-point win, a 'step on them and keep it there' vibe that makes sure they don't let up. Soft or telegraphed passes, inconsistent free throw form, DH still too slow to stop the opponent's run with a timeout, all contribute to small margins that combine to compromise the refusal posture at closing time. Have the game in hand, but don't slack off in garbage time. Every ending has to be tough. That's hard. And it's uncommon. They don't have enough talent to do it any other way this year.

Even with better talent, Sweet 16 and better requires this quality to advance further. This is just the current Rx to be Tournament worthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom