What's the point? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What's the point?

Reaction Score
That's the worst possible play you can ever get in that situation? What's the success rate on that, 5%? Mignt as well draw up a three for Carlton.
The success rate of getting a foul call, and what I believe would have been Precious’ 5th foul, there is extremely high. Especially after the fouls that had just been called.

Reaction Score
The team will look very different next year with AG and CV gone and hopefully Carlton off the bench.
It will look different time will tell if the results will be any different

Reaction Score
The success rate of getting a foul call, and what I believe would have been Precious’ 5th foul, there is extremely high. Especially after the fouls that had just been called.
There was more contact from Achiuwa on that play than the call on Whaley who was moving backwards hands straight up, Achiuwa created the contact. Always getting the short end of the stick.

Reaction Score
The second half has been the killer....Huskies are 2-10 when ahead at the half....

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'll always be consistent on bad basketball. Half the board was telling me off for a year when I was telling them Ollie has to go. I'll take it again when I keep telling posters we will lose every game we are position to win with 4 minutes left if AG and CV are the guys. I can't imagine Hurley is telling them to do what they do but he gives them the keys every time in this position and we lose every time.
Here's what you're missing:

I could go, "Well, duh" in a friendly way or in a condescending way. That part doesn't really matter. I see the same thing you do. It pains me too.

Rather than punch down on college kids, I tend to txt my little sister or an old friend about how they box themselves into a corner and then have to pitch a perfect game to win. That's very hard, asking too much really for this team. At this point, the games are all lost before the 4 minute mark.

This team, players and coaches, simply does not yet know how to, or can't, or won't do anything different to preserve the lead and not let the other team back into the game. I truly don't expect it this year. What sane person would? And why, therefore, would I (or you) get either foul or so worked up about something that's not expected? If it matters, I'd be delighted to see it happen. And, time wise, it's well overdue.

From this foundation, I stand for the proposition that with far greater experience as a poster than the students have as basketball players, you are in a better position to put things in mature context and elevate the discourse here and serve as the kind of leader you want AG & CV to be. Is that asking too much?

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you choose not to do this, but maybe you can't help yourself. And once I see it that way, it's a short path to wondering whether the frustrating plays on the court arise from choice or incapacity.

The highly compensated and experienced coaching staff is a much fairer target for exasperation, but I see improvement across many fronts, and I would seem to have greater patience than you.

I believe that this particular hurdle will be cleared, but I don't know when. (Sidebar: Perhaps one day Mick Cronin will make the Sweet 16.) I do hope I'm watching the game when it happens.

Compassion and acceptance start with the self. I learn this best when I'm 'reasonably' upset with others. I have no more 'control' over your 'performance' as a message board poster than I have over the players or the coaches, but I do wish the best for and from them. That leads me inevitably to wishing the same toward you. And yes, myself.

Doggone it, why wouldn't I?

PS - I have an epic Stuart Smalley story that awaits when & if our paths should ever cross in a less virtual world.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was more contact from Achiuwa on that play than the call on Whaley who was moving backwards hands straight up, Achiuwa created the contact. Always getting the short end of the stick.
Hurley: “Anytime you see an official pass on what you think is a foul at your end, then they go to the the other end and, in your eyes... see a foul called with less contact ... .It’s frustrating, because we all put a lot into this, a lot of our lives, we take it very personal. " - post game presser

Reaction Score
Here's what you're missing:

I could go, "Well, duh" in a friendly way or in a condescending way. That part doesn't really matter. I see the same thing you do. It pains me too.

Rather than punch down on college kids, I tend to txt my little sister or an old friend about how they box themselves into a corner and then have to pitch a perfect game to win. That's very hard, asking too much really for this team. At this point, the games are all lost before the 4 minute mark.

This team, players and coaches, simply does not yet know how to, or can't, or won't do anything different to preserve the lead and not let the other team back into the game. I truly don't expect it this year. What sane person would? And why, therefore, would I (or you) get either foul or so worked up about something that's not expected? If it matters, I'd be delighted to see it happen. And, time wise, it's well overdue.

From this foundation, I stand for the proposition that with far great experience as a poster than the students have as basketball players, you are in a better position to put things in mature context and elevate the discourse here and serve as the kind of leader you want AG & CV to be. Is that asking to much?

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you choose not to do this, but maybe you can't help yourself. And once I see it that way, it's a short path to wondering whether the frustrating plays on the court arise from choice or incapacity.

The highly compensated and experienced coaching staff is a much fairer target for exasperation, but I see improvement across many fronts, and I would seem to have greater patience than you.

I believe that this particular hurdle will be cleared, but I don't know when. (Sidebar: Perhaps one day Mick Cronin will make the Sweet 16.) I do hope I'm watching the game when it happens.

Compassion and acceptance start with the self. I learn this best when I'm 'reasonably' upset with others. I have no more 'control' over your 'performance' as a message board poster than I have over the players or the coaches, but I do wish the best for and from them. That leads me inevitably to wishing the same toward you. And yes, myself.

Doggone it, why wouldn't I?

PS - I have an epic Stuart Smalley story that awaits when & if our paths should ever cross in a less virtual world.
Every game is lost before the final 4 minutes despite us being tied or leading going into those last 4 minutes. Brilliant analysis, now why do you think that is...

I gave you a like for the Stuart Smalley comment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The team will look very different next year with AG and CV gone and hopefully Carlton off the bench.

I have a secret hope that Sal decides that the bulky Carlton experiment is a failure and he trims him down while still going building up his upper body and that it give us a quicker JC who isn't glued to the floor and can finish at the rim.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, we can't blame AG or CV for this loss. At least they made a few shots, nobody else can make a jump shot or a three

I love our freshmen, they need to make more shots too. I'm sure AG and CV would love to see somebody make a few big shots down the stretch

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We don’t have shooters!

Most of these guys have made shots all their lives, they have to believe in themselves and play

Reaction Score
The problem then is his only option would be to bench AG at the end - in which case you’re asking for the team to just turn the ball over. Gaffney very clearly is not comfortable enough to have the ball in his hands in a tight game. Hell he wants to get the ball out before he gets to half court.

Gilbert is quite literally the only guy that can take is man off the dribble. The only guard that puts space between his defender because they have to respect his handle and the drive. It’s what he does after breaking his man down that is his biggest weakness. But the fact of it is that he’s the only one.

When we had a guy that could break you down and then know what to do with the ball is when we won these types of games. Hurley desperately needs that from Cole, Bouk or Gaffney next year.
Well said. We have no inside game to rely on at the end of the game and Gilbert is the only player that can get by his man consistently. Very rarely is a play run where we have an open shot so that’s why Vital is chucking up 3’s or Gilbert is beating his man and either turning it over or missing a shot. There is no answer with the players we have on team this year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gilbert played fairly well today, especially when he was the second ball handler to bouk or gaffney.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Al has skills. Memphis didn't try their moderate press when Al had the ball. My frustration with Al ia that at crunch time he ALWAYS makes the same move. I almost knew when he was going to do it; Key possession with 3 minutes he left he drives the lane and is funneled to a shot blocker. Al then jumps sideways away from the hoop, thereby avoiding contact and a possible foul on Memphis, extends his arm away from his body and the rim and tries some scoop/spin shot which launches so low it is blocked easily.

He commits to that move and is not even aware of a potential kick out. I like the kid, but confess my frustration with this lack of understanding of the situation.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We also have 0 inside help. Being able to throw the ball into a 4/5 consistently and get buckets would help a lot

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think you don’t watch the games and just have a blind hatred. It was not 1 on 5. They ran sets, the team passed the ball, the players all defer to AG and CV at closing time. As much blame as CV and AG deserve for missing shots the rest of the team deserves equal amounts for playing scared. Hurley deserves the same for designing awful sets.
Who exactly do u want to score ? Bouk got his fair share- he wasn’t exactly showing out today - badams, whalley, Gaffney, akok? We have nothing offensively.

Reaction Score
I feel like this has to be the breaking point. Stretch of close games and failures, a win against Temple, and then back to a close game and failure. One consistentcy in there
Temple sux. Cmon. Gaffney does nothing either. We have no one

Reaction Score
Hurley: “Anytime you see an official pass on what you think is a foul at your end, then they go to the the other end and, in your eyes... see a foul called with less contact ... .It’s frustrating, because we all put a lot into this, a lot of our lives, we take it very personal. " - post game presser
Iagree with him. We got pounded with no calls, not touch fouls but slammed and no call, then we go down and get a moving screen?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom