What's the point? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What's the point?

Reaction Score
The problem then is his only option would be to bench AG at the end - in which case you’re asking for the team to just turn the ball over. Gaffney very clearly is not comfortable enough to have the ball in his hands in a tight game. Hell he wants to get the ball out before he gets to half court.

Gilbert is quite literally the only guy that can take is man off the dribble. The only guard that puts space between his defender because they have to respect his handle and the drive. It’s what he does after breaking his man down that is his biggest weakness. But the fact of it is that he’s the only one.
Very well said.

Reaction Score
Just got done watching this game, and I will echo what has already been said. We had maybe 8 open shots all day and we missed them all horrifically. Do we even practice shooting? At least five times we had a nice look at a 3 missed it, which led to a Memphis transition three. Counted 3 or 4 times uconn made a nice pass but our big guys bobbled the ball initially, then got blocked into outer space. Memphis got probably 8 offense rebounds in the second half. Announcer focused on Memphis turnovers a lot, but Uconn was not far behind. Mind boggling fouling late and no one knows how to play offense with five minutes left in the game. Once again we beat ourselves mentally. Oh yea, and Carlton continues to do his best impression of a ghost

Last edited:
Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Our team had 20 turnovers and he had 0. That's the thing about good decisions, they're way less obvious than bad ones
When you defer to other players because you’re timid and every shot you’ve taken in the game has been blocked it’s easy to have 0 turnovers

Reaction Score
The problem then is his only option would be to bench AG at the end - in which case you’re asking for the team to just turn the ball over. Gaffney very clearly is not comfortable enough to have the ball in his hands in a tight game. Hell he wants to get the ball out before he gets to half court.

Gilbert is quite literally the only guy that can take is man off the dribble. The only guard that puts space between his defender because they have to respect his handle and the drive. It’s what he does after breaking his man down that is his biggest weakness. But the fact of it is that he’s the only one.

When we had a guy that could break you down and then know what to do with the ball is when we won these types of games. Hurley desperately needs that from Cole, Bouk or Gaffney next year.
You bench AG at the end. Why the hell is Hurley going back to what we had before? All Gilbert has shown he's comfortable at the end of games is forcing things and getting swallowed up by the trees. We've seen it in every single close game.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
You bench AG at the end. Why the hell is Hurley going back to what we had before? All Gilbert has shown he's comfortable at the end of games is forcing things and getting swallowed up by the trees. We've seen it in every single close game.

I don’t blame your frustration I just don’t think the alternatives this year get us a better result.

I mean it’s too late in AG’s season and career now but Hurley should be having Taliek work all day with him on playmaking after getting to the second level of the defense.

Reaction Score
I don’t blame your frustration I just don’t think the alternatives this year get us a better result.

I mean it’s too late now but he should be having Taliek work all day with him on playmaking after getting to the second level of the defense.
We simply don't know. We do know what happens with a AG Vital backcourt at the end of every close game.

Reaction Score
We might have, might not have. But I do know that we're going to lose if Gilbert's in there.

Were we watching the same game? Gaffney did zero all game. AG hit a few shots and made some nice plays. I’ve been as big an AG detractor as anyone but what’s right is right - he was WAY better than Gaffney today.

Reaction Score
Were we watching the same game? Gaffney did zero all game. AG hit a few shots and made some nice plays. I’ve been as big an AG detractor than anyone but what’s right is right - he was WAY better than Gaffney today.
Then came the last 4 minutes...

Reaction Score
Were we watching the same game? Gaffney did zero all game. AG hit a few shots and made some nice plays. I’ve been as big an AG detractor as anyone but what’s right is right - he was WAY better than Gaffney today.

Right I'm all for giving Gaffney more minutes when he earns them, or if AG is playing really poorly might as well go with youth if they are both playing bad.

But you need someone out there that can score. Gaffney didn't score at all. Akok gave us 3 points in 30 minutes. Simply bench AG is not the solution more guys need to play well, and long term we simply need more good players.

Reaction Score
Then came the last 4 minutes...
Over the final 4 minutes, AG took 2 shots. One was a runner with 2 seconds left on the shot clock. The other was a layup attempt with 48 seconds left that gets called a foul 9 times out of 10 and is literally the only thing you want any PG to do in that situation.

What exactly did you see in the several times he deferred to another option late in this game that would make you pin this loss on AG’s final 4 minutes? Oh, right, absolutely nothing except a constant need for him to be blamed.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We simply don't know. We do know what happens with a AG Vital backcourt at the end of every close game.

Technically, we don’t. But there’s so much other evidence pointing to a bad result. We all watched the end of the 1st half right?

We just have to accept that if they’re not up by a bunch at the end, expect pain.

Reaction Score
Ok so what about 30% from the field? Do we blame that on AG also
No, I thought he played about as well as he could for this version of AG for the middle of part of the game but I never want him and CV on the court together to close out games.

Reaction Score
Over the final 4 minutes, AG took 2 shots. One was a runner with 2 seconds left on the shot clock. The other was a layup attempt with 48 seconds left that gets called a foul 9 times out of 10 and is literally the only thing you want any PG to do in that situation.

What exactly did you see in the several times he deferred to another option late in this game that would make you pin this loss on AG’s final 4 minutes? Oh, right, absolutely nothing except a constant need for him to be blamed.
Very well put!

Reaction Score
The other was a layup attempt with 48 seconds left that gets called a foul 9 times out of 10 and is literally the only thing you want any PG to do in that situation.
That's the worst possible play you can ever get in that situation? What's the success rate on that, 5%? Mignt as well draw up a three for Carlton.

Reaction Score
No, I thought he played about as well as he could for this version of AG for the middle of part of the game but I never want him and CV on the court together to close out games.
Well who do you put then when you’re down 4 with a minute to go? Who on this team is going to score?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom