OT: - What's Next Celtics Fans...? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What's Next Celtics Fans...?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Celtics have a lot of options. Danny is savvy. He brought in Ray to lure Garnett, and got a championship. Morris wants to come back. Al said it depends on what Ainge does with the rest of the roster.

Double Down: Trade Tatum, Brown, Picks to Pelicans for Davis. Kyrie resigns. Al comes back. Hayward returns to form. Morris returns. That's a solid team.

Go Young: If that Kings pick is top 5-6, grab a PG in the draft. Especially if it is #2. Let Kyrie walk. Try to trade Hayward for a piece or keep him. Roll with the young guys plus Al, Smart and Morris. Hope Williams develops into a legit C so you can play Al at the 4.

There are a lot of variations here. I like the go young approach. Get a young point guard, add a cheap veteran PG, give Williams a chance and maybe Yabusele even develops.

Reaction Score
I'm a Knicks fan so I've grown to expect head-scratching decisions and bumbled moves. After this playoff, I fully expect the Knicks to offer a max contract to Kyrie so he can "recruit" other stars. When they find out that nobody wants to play with him, they'll offer the 2nd max contract to Deandre Jordan (who is the only other guy who will take a max offer from Dolan and only signs because he's been enchanted with an upscale NYC Rick Pitino working gal). They'll get the 3rd pick in the lottery this year, then trade Knox and their next 10 1st rd picks to move up to #2 to draft Reddish. Reddish will realize his potential of becoming a softer version and more oft-injured version of Grant Hill. The Knicks will then trade their next 10 years of 1st round picks for role players to watch Kyrie launch awful shot after awful shot. Kyrie will be just good enough for the Knicks to finish 5th-to-worst in the NBA...but because the picks are all traded, the picks will all become a top-3 pick every year. Somehow, Ainge acquires them all and the Celts enter yet another decades long championship run.

My point: you Celts fans should quit your belly aching. It can be MUCH worse (and is much worse in the world's most famous arena). I haven't watched a competitive NBA game in over a decade. And to make it MUCH worse (again, things can ALWAYS be worse with the Knicks), I've had to stomach listening to the Knicks promote an overrated Syracuse Fruit as being some sort of superstar when he never was.
I’m a die hard Knicks fan. And for the first time in a long time I’d not trade places with Boston at all. We’re set up beautifully moving foward. No reason for the pessimistic view. The Knicks for once in a long time are not dysfunctional. Scott Perry, Steve Mills, and David Fizdale have shown they have a plan and are doin a great job executing it. We’re coming..

Reaction Score
The Celtics have a lot of options. Danny is savvy. He brought in Ray to lure Garnett, and got a championship. Morris wants to come back. Al said it depends on what Ainge does with the rest of the roster.

Double Down: Trade Tatum, Brown, Picks to Pelicans for Davis. Kyrie resigns. Al comes back. Hayward returns to form. Morris returns. That's a solid team.

Go Young: If that Kings pick is top 5-6, grab a PG in the draft. Especially if it is #2. Let Kyrie walk. Try to trade Hayward for a piece or keep him. Roll with the young guys plus Al, Smart and Morris. Hope Williams develops into a legit C so you can play Al at the 4.

There are a lot of variations here. I like the go young approach. Get a young point guard, add a cheap veteran PG, give Williams a chance and maybe Yabusele even develops.
Yea Kyrie is not going back to Boston. I don’t even think they want him back. If I had to guess(I’m not objective) he ends up in the real garden with his buddy KD

Reaction Score
I’m a die hard Knicks fan. And for the first time in a long time I’d not trade places with Boston at all. We’re set up beautifully moving foward. No reason for the pessimistic view. The Knicks for once in a long time are not dysfunctional. Scott Perry, Steve Mills, and David Fizdale have shown they have a plan and are doin a great job executing it. We’re coming..
No basketball reasons for that, but hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies [you hope].
He who enters here loses all hope

Reaction Score

I like all of your points minus your final Yabusele bit.

The dancing bear ain't developing anymore than he already has....

Reaction Score
Lol I’m sure there are tons of teams lining up to take Hayward’s contract.
Yeah the odds of him regaining form are low, but the return for him in trade would basically be nothing and we’d eat most of the money. No point.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Celtics have a lot of options. Danny is savvy. He brought in Ray to lure Garnett, and got a championship.
Then he got too clever by half and traded away Kendrick Perkins (and a 2nd champioship) for literally nothing.

Reaction Score
No basketball reasons for that, but hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies [you hope].
He who enters here loses all hope
There’s definitely basketball reasons. The Celtics are primed to be stuck in basketball purgatory. Where they’re “good” but not “good enough” to seriously challenge for a title(think the joe Johnson Hawks). The Knicks have a legitimate chance to go into next season with 2 top 15 players and a lottery pick. Now is that a lot of “ifs”? Absolutely. But I’ll take our “ifs” over Boston’s definite mediocrity

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There’s definitely basketball reasons. The Celtics are primed to be stuck in basketball purgatory. Where they’re “good” but not “good enough” to seriously challenge for a title(think the joe Johnson Hawks). The Knicks have a legitimate chance to go into next season with 2 top 15 players and a lottery pick. Now is that a lot of “ifs”? Absolutely. But I’ll take our “ifs” over Boston’s definite mediocrity

And if it’s say Morant, you definitely go all in for brow.

Just keep Mitchell.

Those 4 are already a title core.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah the odds of him regaining form are low, but the return for him in trade would basically be nothing and we’d eat most of the money. No point.

The only reason there is any chatter about Hayward is because other teams think they can dump their bad contracts on the Celtics to take an undervalued Hayward. The Celts are better off keeping him.

I hate Kyrie, and I think this departure and maybe picking up a serviceable point guard like George Hill will be a net positive for the Celtics next season.

I like Tatum and Brown, They had a bad season but Kyrie is poison and Hayward was still working back into the rotation. I think both young players will bounce back next season.

Keep Horford. He still has some miles left in him.

They should probably need to try and re-sign Morris.

If they got someone like George Hill, they could let Rozier go. I feel bad for IT, but his time has past. Denver was a quarter away from going down 0-2 to the Spurs at home in the first round, and they still wouldn't play him. He is done.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Don't think any team will trade for Hayward and inherit his expensive contract and uncertain level of performance next year....
Time will tell.

Reaction Score
They should stay the course with their young core and do a mini-rebuild.
- Let Kyrie walk.
- Don't pursue AD, he doesn't fit their timeline and would require too many assets to acquire.
- Keep Tatum, Brown, Smart, and all their picks.
- Keep Horford and let him expire next summer. Maybe move him near the trade deadline next year.
- If you can trade Hayward without taking back equally bad salary, then great. I missed the Cavs article from last month that they were interested. I would be surprised if he was moved but well see. There are plenty of stupid front offices out there.

It's nearly impossible to sign Kemba, even if Kyrie walks and by some miracle Horford opts out they'd be short on cap space. They'd have to trade Hayward as well. I can't see both of those things happening with Horford and Hayward.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Lol I’m sure there are tons of teams lining up to take Hayward’s contract.
Not a ton but a couple that would trade salaries.

Back to Utah for Ingles?? Or Korver and Crowder.

You may be right as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only reason there is any chatter about Hayward is because other teams think they can dump their bad contracts on the Celtics to take an undervalued Hayward. The Celts are better off keeping him.

I hate Kyrie, and I think this departure and maybe picking up a serviceable point guard like George Hill will be a net positive for the Celtics next season.

I like Tatum and Brown, They had a bad season but Kyrie is poison and Hayward was still working back into the rotation. I think both young players will bounce back next season.

Keep Horford. He still has some miles left in him.

They should probably need to try and re-sign Morris.

If they got someone like George Hill, they could let Rozier go. I feel bad for IT, but his time has past. Denver was a quarter away from going down 0-2 to the Spurs at home in the first round, and they still wouldn't play him. He is done.

The talent is there for Brown and Tatum to bounce back. Tatum can really be special if he puts his mind to it. Hayward will be better. Back to the old Hayward? I don't know. Agree that you can't take on an over-priced contract for him. He has a chance to live up to his.

Al said whether he comes back depends on who he'd be playing with. But he's a $30M hit. I really like him as a player, but that's more than he's worth.

Morris loves playing for the Celtics and Stevens. He's the anti- Kyrie, unselfish team player. A glue guy.

Rozier being a RFA means that he's still an asset, even if he won't be on the team. They can trade those rights. Would the Pelicans want him? Might be a nice value PG with upside there in a deal for Davis.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah cause that back court didn't bring us to game 7 of the conference finals last year or anything
They should have won. They proved they couldn't get it done.

the Q

Reaction Score
They should stay the course with their young core and do a mini-rebuild.
- Let Kyrie walk.
- Don't pursue AD, he doesn't fit their timeline and would require too many assets to acquire.
- Keep Tatum, Brown, Smart, and all their picks.
- Keep Horford and let him expire next summer. Maybe move him near the trade deadline next year.
- If you can trade Hayward without taking back equally bad salary, then great. I missed the Cavs article from last month that they were interested. I would be surprised if he was moved but well see. There are plenty of stupid front offices out there.

It's nearly impossible to sign Kemba, even if Kyrie walks and by some miracle Horford opts out they'd be short on cap space. They'd have to trade Hayward as well. I can't see both of those things happening with Horford and Hayward.

I put it earlier in this thread if you wanna read the article.

It would be jr smith and another contract.

So it would be nominal cap room this year but clearing gh and al for next summer could be huge....for a terrible fa class.

Danny really should’ve gone all in for Kawhi.

Reaction Score
There are literally no basketball players on the Knicks right now that have even played in the playoffs (unless you count the millions they are paying to Yoakim Noah), its all 'cap space'. Counting those eggs as chickens, while simultaneously declaring 'Boston's definite mediocrity' show limited grasp of recent history, much less the meaning of definite.

The Knicks have a chance no doubt and I hope they become relevant (as of this writing they are not), yet I still point to EVERY SINGLE THING that has happened under the aforementioned James Dolan as definitive evidence that it'll fall short of expectations.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone trade for Hayward right now, he's getting paid 30MM and plays like its $3.5M. I think he's got upside for next year, but high odds that his contract is an albatross - not as bad as John Wall's but top 10-ish for this offseason.

Small market teams don't have the luxury of getting free agents. The best Pacer FA signing in my lifetime was David West in his early 30s.

Reaction Score
I put it earlier in this thread if you wanna read the article.

It would be jr smith and another contract.

So it would be nominal cap room this year but clearing gh and al for next summer could be huge....for a terrible fa class.

Danny really should’ve gone all in for Kawhi.
A. That's not an article, its a fan blog (his credentials I think are following the NBA since he was 9).* The Celtics aren't trading Hayward for JR Smith, even if the former is owed $30MM for 3yrs vs 15M for J.R. for one - J.R. doesn't fit the Celtics or Boston, that would be pure salary dumping and selling at a low.
B. Kawhi wasn't happening either, Celtics would have had to give up Tatum (prob) or Brown (& more) and it would have been for a ONE YEAR rental all-in. Not worth it b/c win or lose everyone knows Kawhi is going to CA next season.

Celtics had a crappy year, but no sense trying to undo that by saying they should have gone even more all-in the season and given up their continuing good odds via the draft picks. Depending on if Horford stays, they are 1-2 players away from championship contention - but that doesn't mean they should panic and become the Sixers & immediately collect the best parts available vs continuing to play the long game. Now just isn't the time for them to go all-in.

Celtics can still make a great offer for AD especially with future picks or likewise use future picks to potentially entice someone picking earlier than them in this year's draft if there is someone they like.

*Abhinav Seetharaman has been a passionate NBA follower for the last 13 years. He is an ardent Cavs fan who has supported the team since he first fell in love with basketball. While his favorite player is LeBron James, he still reps the Land all day and is incredibly excited to write for Cavaliers Nation. Abhinav received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University in May 2018, and will be returning to Columbia this fall to pursue his Masters. You can follow him at @AbhiSeeTheRamen.

the Q

Reaction Score
A. That's not an article, its a fan blog (his credentials I think are following the NBA since he was 9).* The Celtics aren't trading Hayward for JR Smith, even if the former is owed $30MM for 3yrs vs 15M for J.R. for one - J.R. doesn't fit the Celtics or Boston, that would be pure salary dumping and selling at a low.
B. Kawhi wasn't happening either, Celtics would have had to give up Tatum (prob) or Brown (& more) and it would have been for a ONE YEAR rental all-in. Not worth it b/c win or lose everyone knows Kawhi is going to CA next season.

Celtics had a crappy year, but no sense trying to undo that by saying they should have gone even more all-in the season and given up their continuing good odds via the draft picks. Depending on if Horford stays, they are 1-2 players away from championship contention - but that doesn't mean they should panic and become the Sixers & immediately collect the best parts available vs continuing to play the long game. Now just isn't the time for them to go all-in.

Celtics can still make a great offer for AD especially with future picks or likewise use future picks to potentially entice someone picking earlier than them in this year's draft if there is someone they like.

*Abhinav Seetharaman has been a passionate NBA follower for the last 13 years. He is an ardent Cavs fan who has supported the team since he first fell in love with basketball. While his favorite player is LeBron James, he still reps the Land all day and is incredibly excited to write for Cavaliers Nation. Abhinav received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University in May 2018, and will be returning to Columbia this fall to pursue his Masters. You can follow him at @AbhiSeeTheRamen.

FWIW very little of Smith’s deal is guaranteed. It’s unlikely he’d ever see Celtics training camp.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom