OT: - What's Next Celtics Fans...? | The Boneyard

OT: What's Next Celtics Fans...?

Reaction Score
With the absolutely abysmal performances the last 4 games against the Bucks, which included Kyrie converting on 25-of-85 FG attempts (30.1%) and 7-of-32 (21.8%) from 3pt range, where do the Celtics go from here?

I've always been pro-Kyrie, but after this past series, where he couldn't make a shot to save his life and started to look a lot like Westbrook and Carmelo with his high-volume poor shot selection, is it best to part ways and let the Celtics start building a more team-oriented style of offense?

All I know is, last night's game was one of the worst offensive showings I have ever seen from an NBA team, let alone in the playoffs when it matters most. Not a single player could make a shot to save their life, with the team converting on just 31.5% of their FG attempts. Good lord, 31.5%.

Many have already argued this has a lot to do with Kyrie's poor leadership qualities and shot selection. If Kyrie does leave, which to be honest I'm impartial to at this point, what happens with the team in the offseason? What approach does Danny Ainge take? Targeting Anthony Davis doesn't seem as full-proof anymore if Kyrie elects to leave, but it would still leave us with a pretty decent core of young talented players.

Tatum, Brown, Terry (free agent), Smart, and a healthy Hayward with a season under his belt is not a bad foundation. Also, people have been sleeping on him because he didn't play much this year, but I'm still of the opinion that Robert Williams is going to surprise a lot of people and become a breakout star in the league (barring any injuries).

Sleeper free agents to keep an eye on for the Celts:
• Klay Thompson
• Nikola Vucevic
• Thaddeus Young
• The return of IT?

Should be a very interesting offseason for the NBA with a lot of moving pieces.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
With the absolutely abysmal performances the last 4 games against the Bucks, which included Kyrie converting on 25-of-85 FG attempts (30.1%) and 7-of-32 (21.8%) from 3pt range, where do the Celtics go from here?

I've always been pro-Kyrie, but after this past series, where he couldn't make a shot to save his life and started to look a lot like Westbrook and Carmelo with his high-volume poor shot selection, is it best to part ways and let the Celtics start building a more team-oriented style of offense?

All I know is, last night's game was one of the worst offensive showings I have ever seen from an NBA team, let alone in the playoffs when it matters most. Not a single player could make a shot to save their life, with the team converting on just 31.5% of their FG attempts. Good lord, 31.5%.

Many have already argued this has a lot to do with Kyrie's poor leadership qualities and shot selection. If Kyrie does leave, which to be honest I'm impartial to at this point, what happens with the team in the offseason? What approach does Danny Ainge take? Targeting Anthony Davis doesn't seem as full-proof anymore if Kyrie elects to leave, but it would still leave us with a pretty decent core of young talented players.

Tatum, Brown, Terry (free agent), Smart, and a healthy Hayward with a season under his belt is not a bad foundation. Also, people have been sleeping on him because he didn't play much this year, but I'm still of the opinion that Robert Williams is going to surprise a lot of people and become a breakout star in the league (barring any injuries).

Sleeper free agents to keep an eye on for the Celts:
• Klay Thompson
• Nikola Vucevic
• Thaddeus Young
• The return of IT?

Should be a very interesting offseason for the NBA with a lot of moving pieces.

The only guy on that list they could afford is IT.

And I’m not sure you want him and rozier back. Is IT going to be happy sitting behind the guy who used to be his backup? This team has enough chemistry questions as it is.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I expect Hayward to be traded, Kyrie to be gone via FA.

Who comes in...unsure.

the Q

Reaction Score
Can't imagine Rozier is coming back based on his comments last night. And he was brutal this year anyway. I'm fine with moving on from the Kyrie experiment.

He’s a RFA.

Let’s see how much he gets on the market.

the Q

Reaction Score

Who comes in...unsure.

Cleveland supposedly interested.

I’m sure brad and GH would have a convo before that happens.

Be curious to see what Horford does.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the Celtics window has closed and Trader Danny ended up squandering all those assets.

Reaction Score

Who comes in...unsure.

Don't think any team will trade for Hayward and inherit his expensive contract and uncertain level of performance next year....

the Q

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of dumb comments on here. There is almost a slim to no chance we resign IT. The only way that happens is if Kyrie walks, and Rozier gets too much and we don't match it. Keep in mind Rozier is pissed off at the celtics and doesn't want to be here anymore, so Ainge wouldn't resign him anyway I don't think. That's the only way we would get IT, and even then it's slim. Hayward is also not getting traded. We paid too much for a guy like that and we will be patient with him to get a full offseason under his belt and get to 100%. He was not 100% this year after undergoing a second surgery no one talked about. I can almost guarantee that Horford will opt out to restructure his deal to cheaper per year, but for more years. Which is great. I hope to resign Morris...not sure how likely that is though, he's the only one that played with toughness. Brown and Tatum have skill but by god they are so soft it's unwatchable at this point. Tatum is the most overrated player in the NBA, terrible shot selection and no defensive ability whatsoever. I'm okay with Kyrie leaving, and if we go all in on Rozier and Rozier is happy with that then that's what I want to do. One thing to keep in mind this year is that we have three, maybe four, first round draft picks this year. Ainge has some work to do.

Bottom line:
-let kyrie walk
-restructure horford
-resign rozier and start him alongside smart
-patience with hayward
-resign morris
-I'd be okay with trading tatum and a pick or two for someone good (that's far fetched though)

Reaction Score
Can't imagine Rozier is coming back based on his comments last night. And he was brutal this year anyway. I'm fine with moving on from the Kyrie experiment.

Would LOVE it if my Pacers offered him a contract

the Q

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of dumb comments on here. There is almost a slim to no chance we resign IT. The only way that happens is if Kyrie walks, and Rozier gets too much and we don't match it. Keep in mind Rozier is pissed off at the celtics and doesn't want to be here anymore, so Ainge wouldn't resign him anyway I don't think. That's the only way we would get IT, and even then it's slim. Hayward is also not getting traded. We paid too much for a guy like that and we will be patient with him to get a full offseason under his belt and get to 100%. He was not 100% this year after undergoing a second surgery no one talked about. I can almost guarantee that Horford will opt out to restructure his deal to cheaper per year, but for more years. Which is great. I hope to resign Morris...not sure how likely that is though, he's the only one that played with toughness. Brown and Tatum have skill but by god they are so soft it's unwatchable at this point. Tatum is the most overrated player in the NBA, terrible shot selection and no defensive ability whatsoever. I'm okay with Kyrie leaving, and if we go all in on Rozier and Rozier is happy with that then that's what I want to do. One thing to keep in mind this year is that we have three, maybe four, first round draft picks this year. Ainge has some work to do.

Bottom line:
-let kyrie walk
-restructure horford
-patience with hayward
-resign morris
-I'd be okay with trading tatum and a pick or two for someone good (that's far fetched though)

I’d be curious to see tatums market value. This isn’t a strong draft and neither is next year so far. I think you’re stuck hoping to go all in with brow being the Batman to kyries robin.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want Hayward?

Again - As a Pacer fan, I'd trade Sabonis for him. Small market teams need to take chances on guys like Hayward. Zero free agents will come so Indy to mine as well get a local kid who may be back to normal one day

the Q

Reaction Score
Again - As a Pacer fan, I'd trade Sabonis for him. Small market teams need to take chances on guys like Hayward. Zero free agents will come so Indy to mine as well get a local kid who may be back to normal one day

I get that thinking. Celts should really try to make that happen if kyrie leaves.

Reaction Score
I’d be curious to see tatums market value. This isn’t a strong draft and neither is next year so far. I think you’re stuck hoping to go all in with brow being the Batman to kyries robin.
Tatum made as many threes this series as, wait for it, Tim Frazier.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm a Knicks fan so I've grown to expect head-scratching decisions and bumbled moves. After this playoff, I fully expect the Knicks to offer a max contract to Kyrie so he can "recruit" other stars. When they find out that nobody wants to play with him, they'll offer the 2nd max contract to Deandre Jordan (who is the only other guy who will take a max offer from Dolan and only signs because he's been enchanted with an upscale NYC Rick Pitino working gal). They'll get the 3rd pick in the lottery this year, then trade Knox and their next 10 1st rd picks to move up to #2 to draft Reddish. Reddish will realize his potential of becoming a softer version and more oft-injured version of Grant Hill. The Knicks will then trade their next 10 years of 1st round picks for role players to watch Kyrie launch awful shot after awful shot. Kyrie will be just good enough for the Knicks to finish 5th-to-worst in the NBA...but because the picks are all traded, the picks will all become a top-3 pick every year. Somehow, Ainge acquires them all and the Celts enter yet another decades long championship run.

My point: you Celts fans should quit your belly aching. It can be MUCH worse (and is much worse in the world's most famous arena). I haven't watched a competitive NBA game in over a decade. And to make it MUCH worse (again, things can ALWAYS be worse with the Knicks), I've had to stomach listening to the Knicks promote an overrated Syracuse Fruit as being some sort of superstar when he never was.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone trade for Hayward right now, he's getting paid 30MM and plays like its $3.5M. I think he's got upside for next year, but high odds that his contract is an albatross - not as bad as John Wall's but top 10-ish for this offseason.

1. If I'm Ainge I work really hard to convince Kyrie to do a sign and trade so that they can get something for him and Kyrie can get mo' money. Use his ego to tell him he deserves the money and doing this will give him goodwill with Boston upon departure.

2. Convince Horford to opt in for 1 more year

3. Decide the AD thing quickly. I think no one is off limits, but they can't trade both Brown and Tatum, yet at this point they might need both those guys and picks. I'd stick with either of those guys and whatever draft picks if the Pels will do it. Only Smart un-touchable.

4. If AD doesn't work out, I'd go after Durant b/c why not, Kawhi too I guess but don't see him as a fit in Boston.

5. When #4 and #3 don't work out, sign Kemba - addition by subtraction and run it back with same guys absent Kyrie, Morris, Rozier. Draft a PF with the #9 pick (assume it falls 1 spot) - Grant Williams, at Sacto pick #15 flier on Bol Bol.

MrP

Reaction Score

Bottom line:
-let kyrie walk
-restructure horford
-patience with hayward
-resign morris

You call everyone else dumb, then propose a starting back court of Rozier and Smart?

MrP

Reaction Score
Sign Kemba. Trade Kyrie and Tatum for Brow.

You'd have to get Kyrie to sign first, which would mean you'd need to have a destination for him that he actually wants to play for. I'd let Kyrie walk, make a push for Kemba, and trade pretty much anything NO wants for Davis. Still need a 2 guard with size at that point though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom