What's in your vegetable garden? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's in your vegetable garden?

Reaction Score
watermelon? sugar babies are hassle free, except for the varmint part. surprises me that more people don't plant this variety. cantaloupe too. almost no work. except for the varmint part.

Congo’s bud. Go big or go home. I’m not growing some beta melons! I’ve grown cantaloupe before. The problem for me is that I find cantaloupe to be pretty meh.

Reaction Score
If it’s 10 then that isn’t too bad. I’ll be lucky to get 4 or 5 corn cobs from 15 plants and probably no watermelon, though I did grow a 17.5 pound one that @Mano can confirm.
I find that if you have a relatively small patch of corn, you have to hand pollinate. The wind is only effective pollinating in big farm fields.

Reaction Score
I find that if you have a relatively small patch of corn, you have to hand pollinate. The wind is only effective pollinating in big farm fields.

I haven’t tried that. I give them a good shake to spread the pollen but I’ve never hand pollinated. I’ll try this year.

Reaction Score
Had to eradicate thistle weeds. Their root system goes down 24" or so. Tried to dig out last year, but they came back. So hit them with Round-up being careful not to spray the dirt. They're gone, and I roto-tilled, but it's Memorial Day, and may be too late to plant this year. Given the hoopla over Roud-up lately, I also don't want to be gowing a 6th finger in each hand even thought Round-up says garden bed should be ok after 2-3 weeks. Then again, most comercial farmers spray the hell out of their fields with it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Had to eradicate thistle weeds. Their root system goes down 24" or so. Tried to dig out last year, but they came back. So hit them with Round-up being careful not to spray the dirt. They're gone, and I roto-tilled, but it's Memorial Day, and may be too late to plant this year. Given the hoopla over Roud-up lately, I also don't want to be gowing a 6th finger in each hand even thought Round-up says garden bed should be ok after 2-3 weeks. Then again, most comercial farmers spray the hell out of their fields with it.
definitely not too late to plant standard vegetables. do it. fresh july cukes, august tomatoes and september peppers will remind you why you did it.

Reaction Score
Basil, onions, dill, 4 types of tomatoes, 3 types of peppers, 2 types of cucumbers, lots of zucchini and lots of bee friendly flowers. Grow from seed and have had great luck with seeds from highmowing. Always looking to dabble, any recommendations out here.

Reaction Score
Basil, onions, dill, 4 types of tomatoes, 3 types of peppers, 2 types of cucumbers, lots of zucchini and lots of bee friendly flowers. Grow from seed and have had great luck with seeds from highmowing. Always looking to dabble, any recommendations out here.

Do you stuff and fry the zucchini blossoms?

Reaction Score
Do you stuff and fry the zucchini blossoms?

Mix goat cheese and either cream cheese or ricotta, lemon juice, basil, fresh parsley, salt, pepper, and onion. Make a simple beer batter (flour, beer, baking powder, salt, pepper). Deep fryer on 400 for 2-3 minutes.

Reaction Score
Mix goat cheese and either cream cheese or ricotta, lemon juice, basil, fresh parsley, salt, pepper, and onion. Make a simple beer batter (flour, beer, baking powder, salt, pepper). Deep fryer on 400 for 2-3 minutes.

I use rice flour and club soda for a tempura batter too. And let's be honest. It has to be ricotta.

Reaction Score
First time we've really been able to have a garden to ourselves. Got plenty of tomatoes, peppers, and some tomatillos in some wire cages. A few rows of snap peas and some field peas. The cool weather has helped the brassicas (kale, broccoli, cauliflower) to absolutely take off while the lettuce has been yearning for some warmer weather. The garden is capped off by a row of sunflowers on the north side. Next year I'd love to take a swing at sweet corn

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
@len0322 if you are looking for seeds check out Comstock Ferre in Wethersfield. Great selection of seeds and I usually get a great germination rate, even with seeds that I have left over.

@andy34 do not wish for too much warmer weather it tends to make lettuce bolt. Pick it quick.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have a tomato plant on my deck.

I am attentively caring for it at the moment, but it will die because I will not keep it up.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Flowers. Just not enough sun . I gave up.

I still hand pollinate though. Lots of experience.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it's coming up on mid-august. just wondering about everyone's result's so far. the family motto 'no snow, no crops' (not literally, but figuratively) feels kinda true, again. in ground fig trees just laughing at us ('grow, dangit, grow!), tomatoes kinda pokey, raspberries done now (good yields, but smallish fruit), cukes needing a bit extra attention to prevent yellowing and bellying, everything sorta not bad, but not great either. all the wild stuff (chestnuts, etc) are definitely undersized. where are the wasps? and, anyone seeing that black/blue butterfly? I noticed it starting around independence day, and have heard sightings from rhody to ny.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Didn't do a garden this year, but as always, my compost heap is growing just about everything.

Reaction Score
Didn't do a garden this year, but as always, my compost heap is growing just about everything.

Dude, the rosters are up and you're posting about veggies. C'mon Tom

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom