What's in your vegetable garden? | The Boneyard

What's in your vegetable garden?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it's time to plant. maybe it'll be a year where we're still picking the last peppers or frying green tomatoes when they 'roll the bballs out' in the autumn. I sure hope so. cukes, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and herbs (lol) of all varieties for us. this will be year three of breeding a yellow campari tomatoe. mixed results so far.
wut u got?

Reaction Score
it's time to plant. maybe it'll be a year where we're still picking the last peppers or frying green tomatoes when they 'roll the bballs out' in the autumn. I sure hope so. cukes, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and herbs (lol) of all varieties for us. this will be year three of breeding a yellow campari tomatoe. mixed results so far.
wut u got?
Acapulco gold...

And chives, basil, tomatoes, jalapeños, lavendar, cilantro.

Reaction Score
I turned the vast majority of my growing space into perennial gardens but I do have a tomato variety called Lucid Gem that look amazing and which I started from seed and have been trying to baby. 898 squash too - a fist sized butternut that is supposed to be super sweet and comes from Dan Barber's seed company. Some chard and purple kale for greens. Got 2 really nice Asian pear trees from Planters Choice Saturday and planted about 6 asparagus crowns to harvest in like 3 years.

Reaction Score
5dz heirloom tomato,cukes,pole bean,peppers,2dz asst tomatoes,early girls etc,Panama red in there somewhere

Reaction Score
5 Tomato plants, 5 pepper plants, one eggplant and one basil. From seed, 2 varieties of cucumber, green beans, carrots, corn, radishes and watermelon. Corn is a pretty dumb thing for me to plant since the yield is pathetic for the amount of room they take up but I like the way they look.

@ColchVEGAS If you didn’t already know, chives are perennial so I hope you put them where you don’t mind them returning every spring.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
At the moment, about 2.5 million silver maple seed pods. I've already tossed 15 lawn bags of the things just from my driveway and patio. Usually I'd have all that cleaned up and planting this weekend, but this year seemed like there were 3-4x as many of the things as usual.

But did get in three tomato plants and some basil and parsley in a small side garden on the full sun side of house.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At the moment, about 2.5 million silver maple seed pods. I've already tossed 15 lawn bags of the things just from my driveway and patio. Usually I'd have all that cleaned up and planting this weekend, but this year seemed like there were 3-4x as many of the things as usual.

But did get in three tomato plants and some basil and parsley in a small side garden on the full sun side of house.

I don’t even try to grow anything. Too many critters. But if I had a garden it would be buried in Oak Catkins. God but I hate those things. Much worse than the Maple seeds

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Roma tomatoes for sauce, three different heirloom tomatoes, yellow cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, basil, Italian parsley, jalapeños, Italian hot cherry peppers and fish peppers. Ring of marigolds around the outside to keep the deer away.

Reaction Score
I don’t even try to grow anything. Too many critters. But if I had a garden it would be buried in Oak Catkins. God but I hate those things. Much worse than the Maple seeds

I find catkins annoying as well but at least they don’t turn into trees. Maple seeds find their way into spots that make them impossible to remove once they get large enough.

Reaction Score
Surprised at the amount of eggplants. I find the yield and space to be not worth the effort.

Reaction Score
Got some Roma, cherry and better not tomatoes. Got some habaneros and cayenne peppers and some cumcumbers. That's plenty for me weed and take care. Looking forward to jarring some pickles with peppers this year.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I threw a few heirloom tomatoes into the perennial bed because it gets all day sun where my old veggie patch was in the shade all morning. If it works out I might aggressively thin the perennial herd that took 25 years to establish.

Reaction Score
Surprised at the amount of eggplants. I find the yield and space to be not worth the effort.

You should probably be getting around 10 generic Italian eggplant from a healthy plant, right? (I usually go with Black Beauty) That is my experience. My problem is my leafs will get skeletonized by flea beetles and nothing seems to work.

Reaction Score
If it’s 10 then that isn’t too bad. I’ll be lucky to get 4 or 5 corn cobs from 15 plants and probably no watermelon, though I did grow a 17.5 pound one that @Mano can confirm.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
If it’s 10 then that isn’t too bad. I’ll be lucky to get 4 or 5 corn cobs from 15 plants and probably no watermelon, though I did grow a 17.5 pound one that @Mano can confirm.
watermelon? sugar babies are hassle free, except for the varmint part. surprises me that more people don't plant this variety. cantaloupe too. almost no work. except for the varmint part.

Reaction Score
You should probably be getting around 10 generic Italian eggplant from a healthy plant, right? (I usually go with Black Beauty) That is my experience. My problem is my leafs will get skeletonized by flea beetles and nothing seems to work.
Not sure what your neighbor situation is, but if you don't really have too many you might want to try a few guinea fowl to alleviate the beetle issue. If you have neighbors.....they're a bad option.

Reaction Score
I live in a very densely populated city, so my horticultural skills are limited.

But, from what I understand, it is best to rotate crops to maintain the fertility of the soil.

So, this year it is asphalt.

And, next year it will be concrete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom