What is the opposite of poised? (Merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What is the opposite of poised? (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will have to see that again but while you need to establish yourself with 2 feet, you also can't use the oob's to your advantage without being forced out. And you need to come back in immediately.
There's video of the game on YouTube and the link is in here.

Looks like he ran out of bounds on his own which means he can't be the first one to touch the ball. Not sure I agree with the rule, but based on how it's written looks like the right call

Edit: Forgot to say, the play happens at around 1:09:30 in the video (6:20 remaining in game time)

Last edited:
C

chiller99.5

I really dont expect a lot from the team as a whole except to hustle ,work hard on the boards and defensively. Brimah going to commit fouls trying to block shots,Purvis is going to be streaky and Jalen overworked. Just the fact they are out there in that zone shows this isnt going to be the typical UCONN team and Ollie is trying anything to stay competitive

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Looks like he ran out of bounds on his own which means he can't be the first one to touch the ball. Not sure I agree with the rule, but based on how it's written looks like the right call

Edit: Forgot to say, the play happens at around 1:09:30 in the video (6:20 remaining in game time)
Thanks for that, I only had my memory as it happened and wasn't keeping an eye on him beforehand.

Reaction Score
Where in the rule does it spell out how many steps are allowed? How did you count them?

I counted them on my fingers.

But, to answer your question, the feet thing only applies when a player last touched the ball. It doesn't apply in this situation. I considered that maybe the ref got confused. But, the fact is, Purvis was the second player to touch the ball after he went out of bounce. I actually read the explanation of the rule on a NCAA refs forum.

Reaction Score

But, he was the second one to touch the ball.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
if I knew how to post a picture, I would post a picture of Rodney. It is completely unreal how a 5th year senior, former McD AA can make as many bonehead plays per game as this guy. Brimah and Facey at least have shown some signs of consistent improvement lately. Yes, Purvis made some big shots against Cuse, but he single handedly gave this game away tonight. Unfortunately we are stuck w him for the rest of the year, god I can't wait until he's gone.

And to anyone blaming the refs.please. UConn gift wrapped that game for OSU, the refs had ZERO to do w the outcome. Another winnable game lost due to sheer basketball stupidity. A good effort from everyone not named Rodney Purvis was wasted.

RP did not have his best game but by no means was he the one person to pin this loss on. JA has to learn to become a leader and understand when to take it to the hole and when to QB. He left a lot of points on missed layups - ones he normally makes.
The foul difference did come into play and in my opinion - let a lot of slapping and over the backs go for OSU but blew the whistle everytime a UConn big went up for the ball and an OSU player was within arms length distance. To say it had nothing to do is ridiculous.

A good effort from everyone? Name me the good things consistently that CV did on offense? Was Vance the lights out shooter he came in as announced? SE - did he play lights out?

We get it you don't like RP but your dislike colors your opinion just like all the constant KO bashers

Without RP - the Syracuse win would not have happened but he was not the reason UConn lost to OSU

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie needs to start Vance at the 3. Adams and Vital at the guards.
Purvis should come off the bench in a heat check situation or when the starters need a blow, but limiting his minutes is necessary if only to get Vance ready as a prime time player. Larriot is not guaranteed to recover for next season so Vance is the guy for now and the future.

Reaction Score
God, so much of this is crazy.

1. We have 3.5 perimeter players, with Jackson paying some of his minuses at the 4. This worry about who is starting is a total waste of time. Purvis is going to play over 30 minutes this year every game in which he doesn't take himself out with injury or foul trouble.

2. Someone on this team has to be willing to take shots that aren't great shots. Purvis waiting to be wide open to take a shot means that often we're not going to get a shot off any better than what he is taking. He, KO and the team all know this. If Vitale and Jackson start being able to create and make their own tough shots, great. But what do you think will happen to their shooting percentages if they end up having to take some of the shots that Rodney does?

3. He is not a great player. His shooting will remain inconsistent. it's not that we don't have better options -- we don't even have other options.

4. But we loved Kromah, who wasn't a fraction of the player that RP is. The difference was that Kromah was asked to play hard, and give us a number when available. Rp is being asked to play to play hard and produce numbers, whether they are there or not. It's easier to look good when your task is easier.

5. Finally, RP is so far from being our biggest problem that this is like blaming Shirreffs for our offensive issues in football (and that complaint did not work out well from the idiots making it.) With Durham out, we needed Enoch to give us anything, and Facey and AB to just be able to stay on the floor. How did that work out for us.

Reaction Score
But, he was the second one to touch the ball.
Not after he ran out of bounds, he was the first person to touch it. Unless I'm misinterpreting the rule, which is possible. Runs out of bounds at 1:09:44 of the video, when Vital has the ball, who then passes it to him immediately after he comes back inbounds

Reaction Score
I cant remember any other players taking this much heat on the boneyard since I joined this place back in 2009 than Purvis and Brimah. As far as Purvis goes...Yes, a lot of the criticism has been deserved, but he is not the reason we lost to Ohio St, and he is not the reason that we are 4-5. If we didnt have Rodney, things would be a lot worse than they are right now.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Unfortunately we run an offense where someone has to be "SUPERMAN", cuz KO does not run a motion offense that creates offense on its own like Wisconsin. If everybody with warts on our team stopped trying to be superman, we would literally rely on Jalen for 100% of everything which is unreasonable and unsustainable for both him and us. Someone has to make a move and take a shot at some point other than Jalen. If we were not mad at Rodney it would be someone else who is struggling. We just do not have enough playmakers and scorers this year to hang with most teams. I hate it but it is just a fact. Im trying to find joy in player development, beating Cuse, and other small victories this year.

The offense needs creation, so I get your point...but this is something that's been hammered re: KO's offense, and it's a bit fabricated.

The offense can definitely work with guys limiting their "creating" to times it makes sense and for ways they are capable.

The offense doesn't require every guard to be Shabazz, it just really makes it easy if they are. If the other guys have a basketball sense as to when and how to get the right shots, it would work.

Even Jalen, at this stage, often doesn't GET it the way he should, he's just skilled and athletic enough to make it work.

Reaction Score
God, so much of this is crazy.

1. We have 3.5 perimeter players, with Jackson paying some of his minuses at the 4. This worry about who is starting is a total waste of time. Purvis is going to play over 30 minutes this year every game in which he doesn't take himself out with injury or foul trouble.

2. Someone on this team has to be willing to take shots that aren't great shots. Purvis waiting to be wide open to take a shot means that often we're not going to get a shot off any better than what he is taking. He, KO and the team all know this. If Vitale and Jackson start being able to create and make their own tough shots, great. But what do you think will happen to their shooting percentages if they end up having to take some of the shots that Rodney does?

3. He is not a great player. His shooting will remain inconsistent. it's not that we don't have better options -- we don't even have other options.

4. But we loved Kromah, who wasn't a fraction of the player that RP is. The difference was that Kromah was asked to play hard, and give us a number when available. Rp is being asked to play to play hard and produce numbers, whether they are there or not. It's easier to look good when your task is easier.

5. Finally, RP is so far from being our biggest problem that this is like blaming Shirreffs for our offensive issues in football (and that complaint did not work out well from the idiots making it.) With Durham out, we needed Enoch to give us anything, and Facey and AB to just be able to stay on the floor. How did that work out for us.

Agree with most, right on all the way through. But the fact anyone else didn't see some really nice things from Enoch (not game changing but improvement) means they aren't watching the little things. He had 4 rebounds but he had another on the offensive end in traffic, which was ripped out by a swipe to his arms, KO was all over the refs on that one, big play too would have been a short put back. Also he had numerous box outs which resulted in us getting rebounds, he always looks to to hit someone which is way ahead of others. He also pick on top like a man, and rolls looking for the ball. Saw a few real nice ideas on his part, things that shows he's starting to get it, I like it. Plus he's tough. Yeah he was slow on a couple helps that needs improvement, but so was our 4 year starter. He's not going to block shots but we will be able to throw it into him. What he has to improve upon obviously is slowing down, finishing near the basket, no rush and defensive footwork. Not at all in agreement on him doing nothing, he did some nice things.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Almost like what you would hear in a chick flick, I don't like the way he makes me feel. Most of the time I want him out him out of the game but I feel guilty because he's good dude and a loyal Husky. The season isn't over. Remember, Caron really didn't become CARON until the 2nd half of his last year. Not saying Rodney will be Caron, but maybe something will click and his stroke will get more consistent in a similar fashion. And once the shots start falling the rest of the game will fall into place.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I love Jalen, but he completely disappeared in the second half. Absolutely invisible. He didn't run the offense, he didn't drive to the hoop and he didn't score in the second half until there was about a minute left. I understand he can't do everything, and he isn't always going to play great, but he got shut down a couple times very early in the second half driving to the hoop and then just seemed to give up on trying after that. Completely silent. This team simply can't win if he disappears for an entire half. That's just reality with this roster.
Jalen drove to the hoop with ease in the first half. In fact it was so easy for him at times I was laughing. So, he didn't do it in the second half? Well I would say good adjustment from the Ohio State coaching staff. It wasn't so easy anymore. It wasn't Adams. that made us shoot from the outside. So, we have Jackson and Vital throwing up air balls. Our outside shooting hasn't been the best. Some good streaks at times, but missing the bucket and backboard on a number of occasions does not bode well. Give Jalen a break, it was 5 against 1 last night.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
More strange than RPs out of bounds thing was the travel they called on him when he only moved one foot. It was an awkward little jab thing but his second foot wasn't even close to moving. At this point he has a reputation for this type of stuff and refs are hunting for it. The ref who made the out of bounds thing call was so giddy I think he was smiling. Maybe refs play Purvis turnover BINGO and he just got O-54.

Reaction Score
Jalen drove to the hoop with ease in the first half. In fact it was so easy for him at times I was laughing. So, he didn't do it in the second half? Well I would say good adjustment from the Ohio State coaching staff. It wasn't so easy anymore. It wasn't Adams. that made us shoot from the outside. So, we have Jackson and Vital throwing up air balls. Our outside shooting hasn't been the best. Some good streaks at times, but missing the bucket and backboard on a number of occasions does not bode well. Give Jalen a break, it was 5 against 1 last night.
I agree with you for the most part. I'm not trying to blame Jalen. My point is simply that as Jalen goes so does the team. It's unfortunate but he's the only player on the team who can run the offense, the only player who can create for himself, and the only player who can create for others. When he disappears for a half we have very little chance of winning. There's just no one else who can step up and do those things.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was not on the anti-Purvis bandwagon but I don't understand how he went backward this year. I think ppg, shooting percentage , three pointers and free throw percentage are all down

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was not on the anti-Purvis bandwagon but I don't understand how he went backward this year. I think ppg, shooting percentage , three pointers and free throw percentage are all down
I think they call it "reversion to the mean".

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The offense needs creation, so I get your point...but this is something that's been hammered re: KO's offense, and it's a bit fabricated.

The offense can definitely work with guys limiting their "creating" to times it makes sense and for ways they are capable.

The offense doesn't require every guard to be Shabazz, it just really makes it easy if they are. If the other guys have a basketball sense as to when and how to get the right shots, it would work.

Even Jalen, at this stage, often doesn't GET it the way he should, he's just skilled and athletic enough to make it work.

I would just qualify this statement to say he's SOMETIMES "just skilled and ..." etc.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rodney is a mystery wrapped in a quandary covered by perplexion.

Not sure what the mystery is. He's a player with a shooter's mentality but not a shooter's accuracy.

Reaction Score
I sort of agree with the addition by substraction thing, with an exception though. I thought the same last year with getting rid of gibbs, although I expected Purvis to go too and Dham to stay...

I'll just say I've NEVER been a fan of Purvis as a player. I just dont think he is that good at any one thing. He's fast and athletic but those things alone are basketball skills. HOWEVER, the thing that i think we could be missing without purvis is just a guy thats not afraid to take that shot. I alot of times, even when I dont like Purvis jacking up a three or turning the ball over again and again, he's at lesat not afraid to make a move! If someone else doesnt step up and start to take that lead on offense, we may have more of the same next season (Adams and TL should both have that confidence). So should be addition by subtraction.. We'll see what happens. lets get through this season first though!

Reaction Score
I know all of us like Purvis on some level, but he's not a great offensive basketball player. So I agree, if his minutes are taken by Gilbert and Vital next year we have a chance to be better. We almost certainly will reduce our turnovers.

Reaction Score
I like Rodney as young man who represents the university and basketball program as a great ambassador, but it's hard to argue against the fact that his turnovers and inability to dribble really hurt the offense.

On top of the actual turnovers he usually has during a game his poor shot selection have the same effect as turnovers. He shot 4 of 14 today many of which were poor shots.

i was really hoping Rodney would be our go to guy and leader (basketball productions wise) this year but He continues to have the same deficiencies as past years and unfortunately his shooting has gone south this year as well.

His shooting hasn't gone south. His shooting percentage has gone south because without Dham, Gibbs and Miller, instead of having his man focusing on whom to help on D, his man on D is getting help from others, and thus Purvis gets largely much tougher shots.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
His shooting hasn't gone south. His shooting percentage has gone south because without Dham, Gibbs and Miller, instead of having his man focusing on whom to help on D, his man on D is getting help from others, and thus Purvis gets largely much tougher shots.
Purvis passes on an open three at least 5 times a game and then dibbles into a double team before tossing the ball at the rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom