What is the opposite of poised? (Merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What is the opposite of poised? (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
lol feel bad for rodney that we had to merge a couple of threads that were bashing him.

Reaction Score
His shooting hasn't gone south. His shooting percentage has gone south because without Dham, Gibbs and Miller, instead of having his man focusing on whom to help on D, his man on D is getting help from others, and thus Purvis gets largely much tougher shots.
So purvis has been dissapointing because he is playing with worst players? not sure that's how it works, Adams is playing with the same players and has upped his production. RP spends a lot of time sitting on the perimeter jacking NBA threes (3par drastically up), and while some went in vs cuse, you can't really be an efficient scorer if that's all you do. His game off the bounce has shrunk to nothing even though he has even more freedom to create as a number 1/2 option.

There's really no point in breaking this down, I agree with your original stance that we have such limited bodies so it is what it is at this point. He's going to continue to get a ton of minutes .

Reaction Score
So purvis has been dissapointing because he is playing with worst players? not sure that's how it works, Adams is playing with the same players and has upped his production. RP spends a lot of time sitting on the perimeter jacking NBA threes (3par drastically up), and while some went in vs cuse, you can't really be an efficient scorer if that's all you do. His game off the bounce has shrunk to nothing even though he has even more freedom to create as a number 1/2 option.

There's really no point in breaking this down, I agree with your original stance that we have such limited bodies so it is what it is at this point. He's going to continue to get a ton of minutes .

Adams has gotten much better. No one claimed Purvis has. But the opposite of getting much better is not getting much better. It's not getting much worse.

Reaction Score
His shooting hasn't gone south. His shooting percentage has gone south because without Dham, Gibbs and Miller, instead of having his man focusing on whom to help on D, his man on D is getting help from others, and thus Purvis gets largely much tougher shots.

His shot quality is the same now as it was last year. He's just not making them. If the Yard is going to run with the narrative that Purvis has somehow become the focal point of the scouting report, and that's why he is struggling, well...it's not true. Purvis is actually the beneficiary of a lot of open shots because of the attention defenses pay to Adams. @pnow15 is actually right, and it's been his problem for his entire career - he'll dribble and shot fake his way out of wide open shots because, for whatever reason, he still doesn't trust his jump shot. I swear he's more comfortable taking tough shots. He's just a weird player.

I'm not sure where you've drawn the conclusion that Kromah wasn't a fraction of the player Purvis is. Given the choice, I might choose Kromah. One is a winning player and the other is not. One averaged an efficient 12 points per game as a freshman in the Atlantic-10 (back when the A-10 was probably better than the AAC is now) and the other is shooting 35% as a senior on a team bleeding out offensively. One played considerable minutes on a team that won a championship, the other has been a ticking time bomb in every high leverage situation he's ever been in.

I like Purvis...as a player. He does a lot of things well. He wins games for us that we certainly would not win with somebody like Kromah in his place. Defensively, he's been very good this season. His execution is flawed but his intentions are good. He's long been underrated in his ability to use screens off the ball. He's cash when he's dodging defenders in a maze of screens and firing before he even has time to process the situation. Sometimes he'll shoot and I'll know it's in before the ball leaves his hand, just by the way it looks visually.

I find the stuff about how good of a person he is to be a little bit much considering that there is nothing to suggest he's any better or worse than the countless other players who have been bashed here. I don't doubt that he's a great dude, but I also would't have doubted that with Dyson and he's cast as the dude behind the dark visor on here.

Purvis is a human being first and a player second. I don't mean that in a cheesy, cliched way, what I mean is that I don't think he has the switch that guys like Napier and Boat and even Adams have where suddenly all of his self-awareness is soaked up by the intoxication of competition. He thinks too much, and he's never been able to get out of his own way. He's far from alone in that regard, but it's true, which is why I'll always consider him a good but tragically flawed player who you don't want in the room when it's delivery time.

Reaction Score
The opposite of poised is panicked.
It took 3 pages, but someone finally answered the question. To me, he looks panicked a lot of the time. Champs just hit on it in the post above....when he thinks, he's dead, and yet he's not all that instinctive of a player either. The stepping out of bounds constantly, traveling as he's trying to make a move and complete panic whenever he goes coast to coast I think just point out his mental weaknesses. As others have pointed out, it's a shame because he's built like a superior athlete and he can be a scorer at times. It's just never all come together at the same time for anything more than far too infrequent spurts. Is it unfair that he's under such a microscope this year? Maybe. But he was a McD AA, the "Ferrari", and he is a 5th year senior. We need him to come through, whether it's his fault or not, and so far other than the Cuse game, he's come up short.

Reaction Score
For me, the leash is still long with Enoch, it's his 2nd yr, and quite frankly, I didn't have high hopes of him dominating the game early on in his career anyways. His boneheaded plays are more a product of not having the requisite amount of depth on the team due to injuries, therefore his minutes will be a lot higher than his skill level calls for. Let's just hope his heightened court time will accelerate his development.
I hope you are right abut the additional minutes will accelerate his development. Let's say it like it is though. Next year he will be an upperclassman and he needs to be a presence on the court and in the paint, otherwise, he will just be another Kentan Facey.

Reaction Score
Purvis has a terribly low basketball IQ and seems to play panicky and nervous way too much for someone with so much experience. He is the classic case of a kid who peaked at age 17. It happens, especially to kids who have a grown man body at a young age.

I think his playing time would have been cut by this time if Gilbert and Larrier were healthy, but we have no other option than to give him big minutes. At this point, he just needs to try to be solid and minimize dumb mistakes.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Purvis has a terribly low basketball IQ and seems to play panicky and nervous way too much for someone with so much experience. He is the classic case of a kid who peaked at age 17. It happens, especially to kids who have a grown man body at a young age.

I think his playing time would have been cut by this time if Gilbert and Larrier were healthy, but we have no other option than to give him big minutes. At this point, he just needs to try to be solid and minimize dumb mistakes.
He needs to concentrate on the smart mistakes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I cant remember any other players taking this much heat on the boneyard since I joined this place back in 2009 than Purvis and Brimah. As far as Purvis goes...Yes, a lot of the criticism has been deserved, but he is not the reason we lost to Ohio St, and he is not the reason that we are 4-5. If we didnt have Rodney, things would be a lot worse than they are right now.
This criticism is actually tepid compared to how the board reacted to Jerome and Taliek back in the day.

The posts from @businesslawyer or @champs99and04 are critiques of Rodney that aren't personal. Actually quite astute imo. On the other hand there are a few posters in this thread where Rodney's play is personal for them. They are far from fair. They don't praise his positives nor examine the loss from a team standpoint. Why? Because doing so would reduce their expression of hatred. They don't want to be fair because they need to hate someone or something. I can't stress the emphasis on the word need enough.

Most of us don't feel good when the team loses or plays poorly. That's normal. But most of us can get past that feeling. Some sooner than others.

We would have more success in getting Rodney to have court awareness than getting some of the people in this thread to gain control over their emotional need to make Rodney a scapegoat. The corollary imo is that people who are currently struggling in dealing with out of control behavior or success in their personal lives (themselves, others around them, or both) typically struggle to deal with out of control play or success in a player. They're transposing something in their own lives to Rodney.

It becomes worse when a group of people express this hatred because they begin to feed off of one another. Furthermore individuals can blend in with the herd. It's a lot harder to marginalize a group than a single troll. During Dyson's senior year chief00 led a group of negative toadies in deriding Dyson. That group had very little resistance in this forum. Over time the group moved on leaving chief00 on his own. As soon as Dyson was mentioned chief would come to the forum with the need to put him down. Then @BigErnMcCracken would make an appearance to deride chief. The relationship between the three was like gears in a clock. Still is.

Rodney has been an ambassador for UConn. He bleeds blue and white both on and off the court. His struggles are not for a lack of effort and desire. He gives 110% when he plays even if he's not effective. He doesn't deride other players or coaches or fans. We may want him to shoot and dribble better but I wish some of the people in this forum could develop the character the kid has. He certainly isn't one of the best players to put on a UConn uniform, but he's definitely up their when it comes to being a class act.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I counted them on my fingers.

But, to answer your question, the feet thing only applies when a player last touched the ball. It doesn't apply in this situation. I considered that maybe the ref got confused. But, the fact is, Purvis was the second player to touch the ball after he went out of bounce. I actually read the explanation of the rule on a NCAA refs forum.

Yes, from a practical perspective I think it really only occurs on inbounds plays or on a rebound or missed shot. The ball can't be in anyone's hands (on the court) once you are back inbounds for a violation to occur, right? So if the pass came before he was inbounds, that would be a violation, like Brimah stepping out then catching a lob that was thrown before he came back in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This criticism is actually tepid compared to how the board reacted to Jerome and Taliek back in the day.

The posts from @businesslawyer or @champs99and04 are critiques of Rodney that aren't personal. Actually quite astute imo. On the other hand there are a few posters in this thread where Rodney's play is personal for them. They are far from fair. They don't praise his positives nor examine the loss from a team standpoint. Why? Because doing so would reduce their expression of hatred. They don't want to be fair because they need to hate someone or something. I can't stress the emphasis on the word need enough.

Most of us don't feel good when the team loses or plays poorly. That's normal. But most of us can get past that feeling. Some sooner than others.

We would have more success in getting Rodney to have court awareness than getting some of the people in this thread to gain control over their emotional need to make Rodney a scapegoat. The corollary imo is that people who are currently struggling in dealing with out of control behavior or success in their personal lives (themselves, others around them, or both) typically struggle to deal with out of control play or success in a player. They're transposing something in their own lives to Rodney.

It becomes worse when a group of people express this hatred because they begin to feed off of one another. Furthermore individuals can blend in with the herd. It's a lot harder to marginalize a group than a single troll. During Dyson's senior year chief00 led a group of negative toadies in deriding Dyson. That group had very little resistance in this forum. Over time the group moved on leaving chief00 on his own. As soon as Dyson was mentioned chief would come to the forum with the need to put him down. Then @BigErnMcCracken would make an appearance to deride chief. The relationship between the three was like gears in a clock. Still is.

Rodney has been an ambassador for UConn. He bleeds blue and white both on and off the court. His struggles are not for a lack of effort and desire. He gives 110% when he plays even if he's not effective. He doesn't deride other players or coaches or fans. We may want him to shoot and dribble better but I wish some of the people in this forum could develop the character the kid has. He certainly isn't one of the best players to put on a UConn uniform, but he's definitely up their when it comes to being a class act.

Well said. I think both Jerome and Rodney get more unfair criticism because they have such tantalizing physical talent that seems to be limited mostly by mental errors.

Rodney is a great guy, and I am proud that he plays for The University of Connecticut. He represents us well.

Reaction Score
Yes, from a practical perspective I think it really only occurs on inbounds plays or on a rebound or missed shot. The ball can't be in anyone's hands (on the court) once you are back inbounds for a violation to occur, right? So if the pass came before he was inbounds, that would be a violation, like Brimah stepping out then catching a lob that was thrown before he came back in.

Agreed. I could be wrong. But I actually stole the rule and the interpretation from a ref forum. Apparently, also, this rule is the source of controversy even among refs. A few of them disagreed as to who is the first toucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom