What I learned today watching WCBB | The Boneyard

What I learned today watching WCBB

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I had a chance to watch the 2nd half of both Tenn/Texas and Oregon/Mich St and I saw 3 teams with lots of talent, 1 team without their best player out and another limited in minutes and who looked the best? Mich State as they executed a good coaching plan and maintained composure. Kudos to Karen and Kelly for getting talent on their teams and then making Holly Warlick look like a coaching savant by comparison. Seriously, they both are doing less with more. CHW certainly is no x’s and o’s Expert, yet today she was John Wooden when matched with Aston.
Good for Suzy Merchant and her program and an appearance should be forthcoming Top 25 tomorrow.
The good news for Texas, other than Baylor, the Big 12 should pose no other threats.
The bad news for Oregon is their coaching was exposed today as they possessed little offensive discipline when they needed it (ie coaching) and in the strong PAC12 they will be tested by 4/5 teams.

Reaction Score
Didn't see but a little of the Marquette game. What I saw was some very athletic players that could run, shoot, catch and pass better than most.

Reaction Score
I have not been impressed at all by Charli Collier, I think she is going to regret not going to UConn. In the 3 games that she has played vs legitimate Division 1 teams(Michigan, Miss St., and Tenn) Collier has played a total of 44 minutes and produced a mere 10 points on 2 for 11 shooting. 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I have not been impressed at all by Charli Collier, I think she is going to regret not going to UConn. In the 3 games that she has played vs legitimate Division 1 teams(Michigan, Miss St., and Tenn) Collier has played a total of 44 minutes and produced a mere 10 points on 2 for 11 shooting. 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks.
I understand the wanting to be close to home but I immediately thought from the basketball standpoint, she is not going to develop in Austin. She looked out of shape, weaker than ONO and not nearly as smooth as ONO. Still would really like it if she was a Husky though. You can't teach tall.

Reaction Score
I have not been impressed at all by Charli Collier. I think she is going to regret not going to UConn. In the 3 games that she has played vs legitimate Division 1 teams(Michigan, Miss St., and Tenn) Collier has played a total of 44 minutes and produced a mere 10 points on 2 for 11 shooting. 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

So what? Old news. Who cares?

Reaction Score

Perhaps Collier made a great decision to go to Texas.... if she is just pedestrian in her approach to hoops then she shouldn't be good fit at UConn....

Aston didn't win points for coaching today.... but I will not speak highly of Holly either.... what was her scheme on the offensive end anyway.....

Meme Jackson..... a wonderful singular performance.... good for her

Reaction Score
Perhaps Collier made a great decision to go to Texas.... if she is just pedestrian in her approach to hoops then she shouldn't be good fit at UConn....

Aston didn't win points for coaching today.... but I will not speak highly of Holly either.... what was her scheme on the offensive end anyway.....

Meme Jackson..... a wonderful singular performance.... good for her

Obviously the talent is there with Collier, I just think that Aston is not very good at developing/coaching that talent. She has routinely underachieved with rosters that were absolutely stacked with extremely talented players.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I had a chance to watch the 2nd half of both Tennw/Texas and Oregon/Mich St and I saw 3 teams with lots of talent, 1 team without their best player out and another limited in minutes and who looked the best? Mich State as they executed a good coaching plan and maintained composure. Kudos to Karen and Kelly for getting talent on their teams and then making Holly Warlick look like a coaching savant by comparison. Seriously, they both are doing less with more. CHW certainly is no x’s and o’s Expert, yet today she was John Wooden when matched with Aston.
Good for Suzy Merchant and her program and an appearance should be forthcoming Top 25 tomorrow.
The good news for Texas, other than Baylor, the Big 12 should pose no other threats.
The bad news for Oregon is their coaching was exposed today as they possessed little offensive discipline when they needed it (ie coaching) and in the strong PAC12 they will be tested by 4/5 teams.

In regards to the MSU-Oregon game, I agree that Coach Suzy Merchant put an excellent game plan in place, but I've got to point out that Jenna Allen was on fire: 11-14, including 3 of 4 from three-point land. And she was fearless in taking the lead for her team, which is always great to see. She performed admirably against ND last year and this game was (more than) a bit of an exclamation point. Along with Iowa's Gustafson and Michigan's Thome, she's another big that should remembered in B1G land.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

and yet somehow she was nominated to the preseason list for top power forward, Katrina McClain Award before she even played a single minute of college basketball.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, great performance by Michigan State. I'm wondering if Oregon is over-hyped.

I really enjoyed seeing Marquette. Hiedeman at 5-8 with 15 rebounds. I think they'll be a tough out in March.

Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing while watching her today.....although its early in her career. The thought I had was......we always seem to have good luck with players that we end up with. Maybe if Collier stays, no ONO. Looks like we dodged one. Collier I'm sure will have a great career, but I think we got the better player for sure.

Reaction Score
I agree but I think you can add Oregon State. Once Rueck starts getting more highly ranked recruits, they should be a force. He’s already done more with less as shown by a Final Four appearance along with an Elite Eight last year with no or virtually no high school All Americans.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Rueck at OSU-West. I think he deserves to be up there with the other four.
Ha! I said the same thing in the post right before yours.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
with no or virtually no high school All Americans

With Slocum eligible this season is the first McDonald's All American Rueck has had at OSU. I'm not positive, but most likely none of his players have made the Parade All American list either.

Reaction Score
I think you are right with this being the first All American..... Rueck is very good

He had to advertise in the student paper to get players only a few years ago

Reaction Score
You never know how a kid will ultimately fit in elsewhere. Courtney Ekmark at ASU had a 21-point day (in 22 minutes, with six threes) for the 17th ranked Sun Devils...

Reaction Score
and yet somehow she was nominated to the preseason list for top power forward, Katrina McClain Award before she even played a single minute of college basketball.
Shows you how much those "Internet Gurus" know. And some of those sites actually have people paying to read them.

Reaction Score
Obviously the talent is there with Collier, I just think that Aston is not very good at developing/coaching that talent. She has routinely underachieved with rosters that were absolutely stacked with extremely talented players.
I agree that Aston isn't much of a developer but slow feet plus slow reactions is never a good match.

Reaction Score

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted on here! In all of women college basketball you are saying that there are only 4 real coaches! I hope you are not making that assessment on the fact that those coaches have beaten UConn over the last several years. If so, that is a very shallow way of assessing someone's coaching ability.

Reaction Score
Yeah, great performance by Michigan State. I'm wondering if Oregon is over-hyped.

I really enjoyed seeing Marquette. Hiedeman at 5-8 with 15 rebounds. I think they'll be a tough out in March.
Marquette is a really good team but you live by the 3 you will usually die by the 3 that night when the shots are just not falling.

Reaction Score
Good Lord, Charli Collier has played in 7 or 8 games and it is already decided that Karen Aston should have developed her talent by now?

No, Aston's history of not developing talent or winning with rosters that are loaded with talent is the reason why Collier will regret her choice in going to Texas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom