What I learned today watching WCBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What I learned today watching WCBB

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Unless ASU wins the national championships, or fails to make the tournament, she is going to end her career with a loss. I'm sure she would rather lose a game in the tournament than not make the tournament at all. Unlike UConn, most teams don't get to end their season with a win.
If ASU fails to make the NCAA tournament, their last game will have been a loss in the Pac-12 tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In hindsight, my original post was not so clear, but my meaning was somewhat clarified in another post (the third above this post and quoted below) which you also quoted, so perhaps you read past it. I made it clear, NOT AGAINST UCONN.

"True, but as an ex-UConn player, I would at least wish her to win (not against UCONN, of course) than lose, regardless of the odds of that happening. As I said, I think ending her career with a loss against UConn would be a bitter pill to swallow, given her desire to succeed here, and the unfortunate ankle/foot injury she suffered at a key juncture, so I'm not wishing that her career end that way against UConn. Of course it could, and that would be that.:)"

Again, you missed the bolded text above that you quoted, which renders your question moot. The point that I was trying to make, unsuccessfully it seems, was that you, as a fan, might like to see UConn play ASU and Courtney in the NCAA tournament, but on the other hand, Courtney might not like to as it would be a certain loss, if not a blowout, and possibly a sad reminder to her of what could have been (i.e., a successful career at UConn). Therefore, she might like to end her career just about any other way than to lose in a humiliating blowout to UConn in the tournament, which is to say, she would probably prefer to lose to a team other than UCONN for the reasons mentioned above, and I wouldn't blame her.
Sorry for the unclarities in my post and if it appeared that I was wishing that ASU win against UConn, agreed...NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
Much clearer except for this part: "ankle/foot injury she suffered at a key juncture".
I just don't recall this. Was this injury while she played at UCONN?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You really need to see some more games because there are so many more good coaches in WCBB. If you get a chance buy a ticket or at least watch when these games are on TV.
Nebraska- Amy Williams
Oregon State- Scott Rueck
Florida State- Sue Semrau
Virginia Tech- Kenny Brooks
Oregon-Kelly Graves
Arizona State Charli Turner-Thorne
Michigan-Kim Barnes Arico
Oklahoma-Sherri Coale
California-Lindsay Gottlieb
Tina Thompson-Virginia off to a rough start at but give her some time.

A few more to add:
- DePaul: Doug Bruno
- Iowa: Lisa Bluder
- Central Michigan (and Michigan before that): Sue Guevara
- Green Bay: Kevin Borseth
- Miami: Katie Meier
- Tufts University: Carla Berube (need to go see a game given that D3 games rarely make television)
- Amherst: G.P. Gromacki (same as Tufts)

Will withhold judgement on Tina Thompson, given that this is her first head-coaching gig. She had a splash as a recruiter and post coach at Texas, but want to see how that 4-6 start at UVA moves. Joanne Boyle, for all the criticism received, still had 20-13 and 19-14 records her last two years, attained with the same players (as underclassmen) who are on the roster now. To go all Missouri, "show me."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If ASU fails to make the NCAA tournament, their last game will have been a loss in the Pac-12 tournament.
If ASU fails to make the tournament they will most likely get an invitation to NIT. They could win their last game of the season by winning the NIT.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A few more to add:
- Tufts University: Carla Berube (need to go see a game given that D3 games rarely make television)

Will withhold judgement on Tina Thompson, given that this is her first head-coaching gig. She had a splash as a recruiter and post coach at Texas, but want to see how that 4-6 start at UVA moves. Joanne Boyle, for all the criticism received, still had 20-13 and 19-14 records her last two years, attained with the same players (as underclassmen) who are on the roster now. To go all Missouri, "show me."
Courtney Banghart, Princeton. Now that Bella Alarie is back after breaking her arm, the Tigers can right the ship and recover from their 1-7 start.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A few more to add:

I would also shout-out Aaron Roussell of Bucknell. I know him because he coached my alma mater (D3 UChicago) to an undefeated regular season once upon a time.

He inherited a Bucknell team that had gone 5-25 in 2011-2012. Since then, his teams have gone, 14-14, 16-14, 18-12, 25-8, 27-6, 22-10 and 7-2 so far this season.

A couple others that come to mind:
Drake - Jennie Baranczyk
South Dakota State - Aaron Johnston

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
A few more good coaches, in no particular order:

Tricia Fabbri - Quinnipiac

José Fernández - South Florida

Suzy Merchant - Michigan State

Courtney Banghart - Princeton

Reaction Score
+1 for Fabbri @ Quinnipiac. I was talking to Destiny Slocum just the other day . . . (shameless name-dropper that I am) . . . and her eyes got wide when recounting playing against Quinnipiac ("They were GOOD!"). And I remember watching the Beavs play them at a tournament two years ago and feeling lucky that we escaped with the win. I do think that Fabbri has built a team that is particularly dangerous in a tournament, so that Sweet 16 run they had will probably not be their last.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Courtney Banghart, Princeton. Now that Bella Alarie is back after breaking her arm, the Tigers can right the ship and recover from their 1-7 start.

Yup...good call. Princeton (Banghart) and ND (Niele Ivey) probably both sighed collectively when Vandy chose Steph White to coach the Commodores.

So, Bella is back in time to get a few games under her belt and then take on the Ivy schedule? Good for them. Coach Banghart has been playing a bunch of underclassmen in Bella's absence.

Fun topic off this thread (thanks, Coco). Look forward to our southern, southwestern and western-based correspondents to weigh in

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Would also like to add these active National Championship Winning coaches to the list.
Gary Blair- Texas A&M
Brenda Frese- Maryland
Dawn Staley- South Carolina
Kim Mulkey- Baylor
Sylvia Hatchell-UNC

Reaction Score
No, Aston's history of not developing talent or winning with rosters that are loaded with talent is the reason why Collier will regret her choice in going to Texas.
Any notice that HS AA 6ft 7in Sedona Prince did not play. I saw her in one of the high school aa games and liked what I saw.

Reaction Score
Any notice that HS AA 6ft 7in Sedona Prince did not play. I saw her in one of the high school aa games and liked what I saw.

She broke her leg this summer playing USA basketball and is redshirting this season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She broke her leg this summer playing USA basketball and is redshirting this season.

So, she'll have four years of B-ball eligibility to pair up with incoming guard (and national team player) Celeste Taylor. Hope the healing process is going well for her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, she'll have four years of B-ball eligibility to pair up with incoming guard (and national team player) Celeste Taylor. Hope the healing process is going well for her.
Could also potentially impact Hannah Gusters recruitment. Hannah's grandfather played football at Texas. At Texas Gusters would overlap 3 years with Prince and 2 years with Collier so she might as well come to UCONN. :D

Reaction Score
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted on here! In all of women college basketball you are saying that there are only 4 real coaches! I hope you are not making that assessment on the fact that those coaches have beaten UConn over the last several years. If so, that is a very shallow way of assessing someone's coaching ability.
I agree: coaches that I respect include those from UCF, Drake, Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, and a host of others: the above quote is like saying the only good scientists are Nobel Prize winners.

Reaction Score
I see no one mention one person yet which is shocking. I don’t like Louisville Women’s Basketball mainly because of what happened last year and some of their fans wanted to come on ND sites and puff their chests out. But Jeff Walz is a darn good coach.

Reaction Score
Wes Moore You could also add. He’s done a great job at North Carolina St.

Reaction Score
Megan Duffy Miami (OH) she’s on the rise and Coach Q Syracuse He’s pretty good.

Reaction Score
Could also potentially impact Hannah Gusters recruitment. Hannah's grandfather played football at Texas. At Texas Gusters would overlap 3 years with Prince and 2 years with Collier so she might as well come to UCONN. :D

“I’ve said this all along, no disrespect to anyone. I can’t understand why anyone from Texas would want to leave Texas,” said Aston, who admitted to having some intense recruiting battles with UConn when she was an assistant to Jody Conradt. “I just don’t [understand].” :D:cool:

Reaction Score
“I’ve said this all along, no disrespect to anyone. I can’t understand why anyone from Texas would want to leave Texas,” said Aston, who admitted to having some intense recruiting battles with UConn when she was an assistant to Jody Conradt. “I just don’t [understand].” :D:cool:

...and she will never [understand]! :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom