What I Learned on the Boneyard Today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What I Learned on the Boneyard Today

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I never put all of any group into a box. I just put most of them in that box.
Still wrong man. Really, really wrong. I know hundreds of Deadheads and your assumptions would be wrong for the vast majority of them.

Going just by the examples you cite, which are pretty pedestrian even by your standards, not only do I and most I know own albums from all of them, but Bowie and Costello would be icons for sure. I've seen both live several times and have actually met Costello. Cooper is a caricature to me for the most part, but what kid didn't love "School's Out"?

I don't have any issue at all with people who don't get the Dead. I expect that most don't. Just as we can't help our musical DNA, we can't help the way that our brains are wired. Some are wired more conservative and some are wired more liberal, and it surprises me none the way that it breaks down here.

The issue I have is when people who don't get it make pejorative assumptions about those who do.

Which brings me back to what I said many posts ago on this subject: good music is whatever moves you. Isn't that what it's supposed to do? If it moves someone else but doesn't move you, why does that bother you, such that you need to cast aspersions on it and the people who like it?

That is something I will simply never, ever get.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Still wrong man. Really, really wrong. I know hundreds of Deadheads and your assumptions would be wrong for the vast majority of them.

Going just by the examples you cite, which are pretty pedestrian even by your standards, not only do I and most I know own albums from all of them, but Bowie and Costello would be icons for sure. I've seen both live several times and have actually met Costello. Cooper is a caricature to me for the most part, but what kid didn't love "School's Out"?

I don't have any issue at all with people who don't get the Dead. I expect that most don't. Just as we can't help our musical DNA, we can't help the way that our brains are wired. Some are wired more conservative and some are wired more liberal, and it surprises me none the way that it breaks down here.

The issue I have is when people who don't get it make pejorative assumptions about those who do.

Which brings me back to what I said many posts ago on this subject: good music is whatever moves you. Isn't that what it's supposed to do? If it moves someone else but doesn't move you, why does that bother you, such that you need to cast aspersions on it and the people who like it?

Saved for the next time you say something mean about Warrant or Trixter.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Actually, the booze guys know their stuff. If I ever need to buy a bottle of Scotch, I'm asking these guys right here.

There have been some very good Bourbon, Scotch and Whiskey threads in the past.

Being a UConn fan makes an encyclopedic knowledge of malted beverages, fermented grapes and distilled spirits mandatory.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

If you really must know, I got bored with the Cesspool and wanted a good divisive argument. One that pitted distinct sides and had people dig in. Just to see if it was any different than the stupid reasoning on both sides of every single political argument.

Thank you for participating. It's been enlightening.

(btw, Billion Dollar Babies is a brilliant album).

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am a blast a parties! People think I have the most interesting music... you should come to a chili party where the playlist is heavy on Slim Whitman and Lyle Lovett.

yawning%2BJapanese%2Bmacaque%2Bby%2BDaisuke%2BTashiro%2Bat%2BWikimedia.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I may be wrong about this, but it looks like you use nail polish. I find that surprising.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I am a blast a parties! People think I have the most interesting music... you should come to a chili party where the playlist is heavy on Slim Whitman and Lyle Lovett.
How did I miss this!

Oh man to unpack everything in this short little declaration would be so much fun and take hours. But alas I think it is so far over the top that I’m rendered unable to do so.

Congrats on creating something so multilayered that you overheated my engine. Epic!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Trolling this thread was so much more satisfying than anything I've done on the Pool in months. Maybe years. Thank you for participating.

Yeah, about that.

Nobody buys that you are trolling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing more boring than a little troll on troll action.

Reaction Score
First off, I don't know why you're even arguing this point. You want to make a point about my using "snowflakes" as a perjorative, fine. The reaction to my criticism of the Dead is very similar to Carl's or 's or OTP's reaction if I were to criticize the Big Orange Fartbag. Circle the wagons and attack back. Defend at all costs. Start talking about how I don't understand the big picture. Heck, use cultish references while you're at it.

It's freaking creepy to me. You don't see this kind of reaction when someone criticizes the Beatles or Who.

Now, as to the rest of your assumptions, why would you think I'd even challenge an actual band member about their influences? Any band created in the 60s had Mississippi blues, jazz and probably even big band and Texas/Nashville country influences because that was all they'd be able to hear. There were no jam bands, because there weren't any at the time. I imagine Lesh and bandmates listen to all sorts of stuff that his followers wouldn't conceive of putting on a turntable.

And that's not all that different from any other good musician. Frampton was influenced by Django Rhinehart. Artists as disparate as John Fogarty and Dave Davies both cite Duane Eddy as a huge influence. Duane Allman was influenced by Miles Davis and Coltrane.

None of that has anything to do with the respective fanbases. I seriously doubt many concertgoers who've seen Frampton, Fogarty or the Allmans have given a listen to Django, Eddy, Davis or Coltrane.

Btw, I think I've mentioned I own American Beauty and a "greatest hits" compilation. And there was a time in either 87 or 88 where my girlfriend and I actually stayed home one NYE and watched a Dead NYE show on HBO. And I bought tix to a show in NH once, although Jerry was too, um... ill... to perform so they cancelled. I've tried, man. I've given them plenty of opportunity.

I'd think you - as someone who listens to The Loft and Meg Griffin - and perhaps at some point listened to other freeform jocks like Vin Scelsa and the late Pete Fornatale - would get this better than the average schmuck who mostly listens to stuff in his/her own silo because while those algorithms on Spotify and Pandora can dissect musical DNA, they can't make the emotional connections that a great freeform DJ could make.

You've been exposed to a lot of different kinds of music as was I. You like the Dead, I kinda don't all that much. And I'll add that in my own personal experience, if I'm looking at the record collection of a Deadhead, I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to find (Steely Dan, CSNY, some prog-rock) and what I'm not (Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello). That's basically all I'm getting at.

I’m not going to attack you personally but owning a greatest hits album and “American Beauty” is a surefire way to NOT get into the Dead. They are not a band to be appreciated by their studio production. It’s their live performances. It’s the bootleg albums where you get who they really were.
Also, I loved the Dead and I also loved Bowie and Elvis Costello. Not Alice Cooper. Loathe Steely Dan. So boring.
Why do people have to fit into such neat boxes with you?
Do you think there’s a special store people go to and say I’m a Deadhead and they issue you a set of albums and clothes and that’s what you get for life? Is that what you were given? That’s silly and immature. It also probably keeps you from discovering some truly fun things if you think “but I’m THIS so I can’t like THAT!”
I have a 13 YO daughter - we’ve bonded over Taylor Swift and the Hamilton soundtrack. So I’m seeing her this summer and I’ve seen Hamilton twice now. I’m also seeing U2. Should my love of classic rock prevent these other things? No. Life is interesting. Evolve.

Reaction Score
Warren Haynes was in GD for awhile. His Govt Mule concerts are a masterpiece of smooth transitions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom