What I Learned on the Boneyard Today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What I Learned on the Boneyard Today

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At least I'm still going over better here than in the Pool where is deleting everything I post...

And they're not "my" jokes. I didn't write them. Here you go.

So sensitive you guys are about the Dead... y'all really are kinda like Scientologists in that regard.
I know you didn't write them; do you think that makes them any better? I just think they're lame, that's all.

Believe me, I am not disappointed in the least that you don't get the Dead. If you did, it might cause me to reconsider my affinity for them.

Reaction Score
I know you didn't write them; do you think that makes them any better? I just think they're lame, that's all.

Believe me, I am not disappointed in the least that you don't get the Dead. If you did, it might cause me to reconsider my affinity for them.

You gonna stand for that kind of disrespect @storrsroars?

Reaction Score
What I learned on the Boneyard today:

If we had unleashed IADPP when we had the chance, we would be in the ACC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What I learned on the Boneyard today:

If we had unleashed IADPP when we had the chance, we would be in the ACC.
Doubtful. His one initiative was mandating the Pledge of Allegience be recited at basketball games.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
With all the chatter - we need another bourbon thread!

This board can drive one to drink at times.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You gonna stand for that kind of disrespect @storrsroars?

If there are such things as "Dead Snowflakes", I found them.

I do know that 8893 has eclectic tastes as he claims, substantiated by other posts where he likes the same stuff and I do, so he's not nearly as bad as some.

As for disrespecting me, you've already done enough today.

Reaction Score
If there are such things as "Dead Snowflakes", I found them.

I do know that 8893 has eclectic tastes as he claims, substantiated by other posts where he likes the same stuff and I do, so he's not nearly as bad as some.

As for disrespecting me, you've already done enough today.

Not my fault you are thick-headed. :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dead Snowflakes
That would be a great band name.

NB: "Snowflakes," as you intend the term, connotes offense. I am not offended by your jokes; I just think they are tired and lame, i.e., I've heard them all before. Ironically, it seems that you are the one offended by that.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you assume most Deadheads have similar, narrow and uninteresting musical tastes. You need to get out more.

I'm currently around 20 hours into the 30-plus hour audiobook of Dennis McNally's unabridged Long Strange Trip, which is a Ken Burns or David McCullough-level treatment of the history of the band in terms of detail, breadth, depth and historical context. I think you would be fascinated to learn how off your assumptions are. As I type this, I am chuckling picturing you trying to make your case to Phil Lesh. I don't think you would be prepared to handle his response, and the extent to which it would lay bare your naïveté.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That would be a great band name.

NB: "Snowflakes," as you intend the term, connotes offense. I am not offended by your jokes; I just think they are tired and lame, i.e., I've heard them all before. Ironically, it seems that you are the one offended by that.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you assume most Deadheads have similar, narrow and uninteresting musical tastes. You need to get out more.

I'm currently around 20 hours into the 30-plus hour audiobook of Dennis McNally's unabridged Long Strange Trip, which is a Ken Burns or David McCullough-level treatment of the history of the band in terms of detail, breadth, depth and historical context. I think you would be fascinated to learn how off your assumptions are. As I type this, I am chuckling picturing you trying to make your case to Phil Lesh. I don't think you would be prepared to handle his response, and the extent to which it would lay bare your naïveté.

First off, I don't know why you're even arguing this point. You want to make a point about my using "snowflakes" as a perjorative, fine. The reaction to my criticism of the Dead is very similar to Carl's or 's or OTP's reaction if I were to criticize the Big Orange Fartbag. Circle the wagons and attack back. Defend at all costs. Start talking about how I don't understand the big picture. Heck, use cultish references while you're at it.

It's freaking creepy to me. You don't see this kind of reaction when someone criticizes the Beatles or Who.

Now, as to the rest of your assumptions, why would you think I'd even challenge an actual band member about their influences? Any band created in the 60s had Mississippi blues, jazz and probably even big band and Texas/Nashville country influences because that was all they'd be able to hear. There were no jam bands, because there weren't any at the time. I imagine Lesh and bandmates listen to all sorts of stuff that his followers wouldn't conceive of putting on a turntable.

And that's not all that different from any other good musician. Frampton was influenced by Django Rhinehart. Artists as disparate as John Fogarty and Dave Davies both cite Duane Eddy as a huge influence. Duane Allman was influenced by Miles Davis and Coltrane.

None of that has anything to do with the respective fanbases. I seriously doubt many concertgoers who've seen Frampton, Fogarty or the Allmans have given a listen to Django, Eddy, Davis or Coltrane.

Btw, I think I've mentioned I own American Beauty and a "greatest hits" compilation. And there was a time in either 87 or 88 where my girlfriend and I actually stayed home one NYE and watched a Dead NYE show on HBO. And I bought tix to a show in NH once, although Jerry was too, um... ill... to perform so they cancelled. I've tried, man. I've given them plenty of opportunity.

I'd think you - as someone who listens to The Loft and Meg Griffin - and perhaps at some point listened to other freeform jocks like Vin Scelsa and the late Pete Fornatale - would get this better than the average schmuck who mostly listens to stuff in his/her own silo because while those algorithms on Spotify and Pandora can dissect musical DNA, they can't make the emotional connections that a great freeform DJ could make.

You've been exposed to a lot of different kinds of music as was I. You like the Dead, I kinda don't all that much. And I'll add that in my own personal experience, if I'm looking at the record collection of a Deadhead, I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to find (Steely Dan, CSNY, some prog-rock) and what I'm not (Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello). That's basically all I'm getting at.

Reaction Score
First off, I don't know why you're even arguing this point.

Why would you think I'd even challenge an actual band member about their influences? Any band created in the 60s had Mississippi blues, jazz and probably even big band and Texas/Nashville country influences because that was all they'd be able to hear. There were no jam bands, because there weren't any at the time. I imagine Lesh and bandmates listen to all sorts of stuff that his followers wouldn't conceive of putting on a turntable.

And that's not all that different from any other good musician. Frampton was influenced by Django Rhinehart. Artists as disparate as John Fogarty and Dave Davies both cite Duane Eddy as a huge influence. Duane Allman was influenced by Miles Davis and Coltrane.

None of that has anything to do with the respective fanbases. I seriously doubt many concertgoers who've seen Frampton, Fogarty or the Allmans have given a listen to Django, Eddy, Davis or Coltrane.

Btw, I think I've mentioned I own American Beauty and a "greatest hits" compilation. And there was a time in either 87 or 88 where my girlfriend and I actually stayed home one NYE and watched a Dead NYE show on HBO. And I bought tix to a show in NH once, although Jerry was too, um... ill... to perform so they cancelled. I've tried, man. I've given them plenty of opportunity.

I'd think you - as someone who listens to The Loft and Meg Griffin - and perhaps at some point listened to other freeform jocks like Vin Scelsa and the late Pete Fornatale - would get this better than the average schmuck who mostly listens to stuff in his/her own silo because while those algorithms on Spotify and Pandora can dissect musical DNA, they can't make the emotional connections that a great freeform DJ could make.

You've been exposed to a lot of different kinds of music as was I. You like the Dead, I kinda don't all that much. And I'll add that in my own personal experience, if I'm looking at the record collection of a Deadhead, I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to find (Steely Dan, CSNY, some prog-rock) and what I'm not (Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello). That's basically all I'm getting at.
it's been really easy to get on 8893's bad side lately. I hope he's ok

Reaction Score
None of that has anything to do with the respective fanbases. I seriously doubt many concertgoers who've seen Frampton, Fogarty or the Allmans have given a listen to Django, Eddy, Davis or Coltrane. . . .
if I'm looking at the record collection of a Deadhead, I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to find (Steely Dan, CSNY, some prog-rock) and what I'm not (Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello). That's basically all I'm getting at.

This is a strange hill to die on. In my experience it's not remotely true. People are more interesting than you give them credit for. You just sound like an uninformed snob. You must be a blast at parties.

Reaction Score
First off, I don't know why you're even arguing this point. You want to make a point about my using "snowflakes" as a perjorative, fine. The reaction to my criticism of the Dead is very similar to Carl's or 's or OTP's reaction if I were to criticize the Big Orange Fartbag. Circle the wagons and attack back. Defend at all costs. Start talking about how I don't understand the big picture. Heck, use cultish references while you're at it.

It's freaking creepy to me. You don't see this kind of reaction when someone criticizes the Beatles or Who.

Now, as to the rest of your assumptions, why would you think I'd even challenge an actual band member about their influences? Any band created in the 60s had Mississippi blues, jazz and probably even big band and Texas/Nashville country influences because that was all they'd be able to hear. There were no jam bands, because there weren't any at the time. I imagine Lesh and bandmates listen to all sorts of stuff that his followers wouldn't conceive of putting on a turntable.

Actually...I love the Dead, and I DO have all of these: "Steely Dan, CSNY, some prog-rock) and (Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello)"...not to mention Big Audio Dynamite, The Replacements, Led Zep, Wang Chung, Madonna, Frank Zappa, The Outlaws, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Heart, Cheap Trick and the B52s among others.....and while not a fan, I really liked Lady Gaga's Bowie tribute....

Can't put all Dead fans in a box...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And I'll add that in my own personal experience, if I'm looking at the record collection of a Deadhead, I've got a pretty good idea what I'm going to find (Steely Dan, CSNY, some prog-rock) and what I'm not (Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello). That's basically all I'm getting at.

You're wrong.

it's been really easy to get on 8893's bad side lately. I hope he's ok

You're irrelevant.

I was going to write a lot more, but this really captures the essence, and it's not worth the effort if they don't get that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Grateful Dead is terrible.

I also blame them for Phish.
This from a man who doesn't like food other than cereal and hot dogs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is a strange hill to die on. In my experience it's not remotely true. People are more interesting than you give them credit for. You just sound like an uninformed snob. You must be a blast at parties.

I am a blast a parties! People think I have the most interesting music... you should come to a chili party where the playlist is heavy on Slim Whitman and Lyle Lovett.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Actually...I love the Dead, and I DO have all of these: "Steely Dan, CSNY, some prog-rock) and (Bowie, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello)"...not to mention Big Audio Dynamite, The Replacements, Led Zep, Wang Chung, Madonna, Frank Zappa, The Outlaws, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Heart, Cheap Trick and the B52s among others.....and while not a fan, I really liked Lady Gaga's Bowie tribute....

I never put all of any group into a box. I just put most of them in that box.

Reaction Score
I never put all of any group into a box. I just put most of them in that box.

Well...most people that would pt most of a group in a box are...well...you know...

btw...love the avatar....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom