OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 25 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
Deaths are further delayed than the 5 day median incubation window for cases, so the leveling off might not show yet.

Also, since Italy is increasing testing (they're now testing more than South Korea), they'll find more cases, so it will look like it's not leveling off even if it is.

Need a good epidemiologist to know if it is leveling off at this point.
Good point. You're the numbers/data guy I look to.

Reaction Score
Get ready for some next level measures. Governors update at 3:30. By early next week, life is going to look very different for all of us.
We just got shelter in place order for Illinois.

Reaction Score
As you should be nervous.

Most important is to prevent infection. Wear a mask whenever you go outside, wash hands frequently, disinfect surfaces you touch, use hand sanitizer after touching anything outside.

In a perfect world, as soon as you have symptoms, you would get a cocktail of antiviral drugs such as remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, Kaletra, and favipiravir. The reason this is desirable is that you are in a race between the virus and your immune system. It takes 2-3 weeks for you to develop antibodies against the virus, and you won't survive without them. The virus takes 3 weeks to kill you if you start with a small dose, but 2 weeks if you start with a large dose. The antivirals slow down its growth so that it takes 4+ weeks to kill you, and that gives your immune system time to win the race. Few people die if they get anti-infective drugs early.

With a vaccine, your immune system is working right away, and so you win. Even a very imperfect vaccine that confers limited immunity would save a lot of lives. They should be testing formalin-inactivated virus (the way Salk made the first polio vaccine, Inactivation of poliovirus by formaldehyde) in healthcare workers right now.

But the main thing is to avoid infection. Doctors are not treating this properly yet, partly due to lack of drugs and partly due to regulatory restrictions / lack of FDA approvals, so going to the hospital right now may hurt your chances of survival because you may be picking up additional virus from all the other patients. Avoid infection as long as you can and your chances of surviving this outbreak will be higher. Use the time to improve your health, eat well, get morning sun and exercise.

Dude, your thoughts on the treatment are totally wacky, non-evidence-based, and would likely result in more patient harm (from cumulative drug toxicities) than good. Please pump the brakes on dispensing bad advice.

pj

Reaction Score
Dude, your thoughts on the treatment are totally wacky, non-evidence-based, and would likely result in more patient harm (from cumulative drug toxicities) than good. Please pump the brakes on dispensing bad advice.

The specific drugs to use are being tested in clinical trials. But there are already strong results that each of these drugs individually helps. It's likely a cocktail will eventually work best, though each combination needs to be tested.

Your reaction is way off base. I didn't recommend any specific treatment or dosage, therefore you have no reason to suppose that any treatment I would support would be toxic. It doesn't take much pharmaceutical experience to know that a cocktail is probably where we'll end up - it's where we ended up with other viral infections e.g. HIV.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm in the Sarasota area of FL... All I can say is that if this spins out of control Florida is going to burn. I have about 45 guys in the field (HVAC) and the stories and the hoarding and the guns that I'm hearing are just so irrational that we better hope things work out. People are buying weapons not food.

So get prepared to see some crazy stories out of Florida

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Deaths are further delayed than the 5 day median incubation window for cases, so the leveling off might not show yet.

Also, since Italy is increasing testing (they're now testing more than South Korea), they'll find more cases, so it will look like it's not leveling off even if it is.

Need a good epidemiologist to know if it is leveling off at this point.
This is how I feel about the numbers in the USA. I feel like with each death there’s 10 people who didn’t get tested recovering.

I really doubt we’re on the Italy track. We may top out at more cases (we have 6 times as many people) but we are so far behind their rates and a very small percentage of our cases are considered “critical” at this point.

pj

Reaction Score
This is how I feel about the numbers in the USA. I feel like with each death there’s 10 people who didn’t get tested recovering.

I really doubt we’re on the Italy track. We may top out at more cases (we have 6 times as many people) but we are so far behind their rates and a very small percentage of our cases are considered “critical” at this point.

Where we end up depends on how we respond. We are lucky that we got a delayed start compared to Italy and therefore more time to start taking it seriously.

Reaction Score
I'm in the Sarasota area of FL... All I can say is that if this spins out of control Florida is going to burn. I have about 45 guys in the field (HVAC) and the stories and the hoarding and the guns that I'm hearing are just so irrational that we better hope things work out. People are buying weapons not food.

As usual

Reaction Score
Meanwhile in Norwalk, at 6 PM, my wife and I went on a drive to find Calf Pasture Beach pretty crowded with people getting fresh air.

It was too densely packed for us to feel comfortable to stroll around, but it was probably crowded due the great weather, the end of the work week and also a last hurrah with the state shutdown.

We've been pretty disciplined with social isolation: going on walks in our neighborhood, but not going into commercial areas aside from groceries last Friday and today.

Stay well, everyone.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The same people who don’t know where it came from, how to cure it, why symptoms vary and why severity is 0-100000 know when it’s going to peak? We can’t keep people locked up in their houses and out of work for months. I’m all very social distancing right now but it’s not sustainable. At all.

Serious question: are we better off letting it rip through us until April then go away like the scary tall unflattened curve? What will even be left of society at that point anyways?

Is it to not overrun health care? There’s no cure and no ventilators anyways.

Reaction Score
The same people who don’t know where it came from, how to cure it, why symptoms vary and why severity is 0-100000 know when it’s going to peak? We can’t keep people locked up in their houses and out of work for months. I’m all very social distancing right now but it’s not sustainable. At all.

Serious question: are we better off letting it rip through us until April then go away like the scary tall unflattened curve? What will even be left of society at that point anyways?

Is it to not overrun health care? There’s no cure and no ventilators anyways.
Yes. The country has to shut down for a month to give our health system a chance to at least try and catch up and prepare better but it's not sustainable. We can't shut down our economy for many months or there will be nothing left. The numbers of hospitalizations and deaths are going to be awful but it's unfortunately something we're going to have to accept. We somehow have to locate all the old and medically compromised and provide their groceries/medication and care.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Its been a while since I've met him but that kinda looks like @intlzncster

Hope I'm wrong.

I'm better lookin than that drunken sod. not sayin much tho cause I look like gary busey

and that guy has a weak chin

Reaction Score

Yup. Shoot straight on university is running out of ammo

Reaction Score
Its going to be an exercise in finding public places for outdoor activities here in Fairfield County:

Coronavirus Fairfield: All Parks And Town Buildings To Close

Why close public parks to individuals? I can see baseball/basketball/soccer games but dog walking, golfing, running and strolls doesn't make sense. People 'gonna' go mad.

@mauconnfan they're coming for our golf courses!

Crazy enough I’m not playing today because one of my buddies hasn’t been safe enough during these times. Working at customers and with 25-30 people at work he’s not as “concerned” as he should be. Quarry Ridge has a few holes I’d prefer not to walk and would slow them down too, first time so the pace group. Getting in the cart too close for comfort. This sucks!

Reaction Score
Yes. The country has to shut down for a month to give our health system a chance to at least try and catch up and prepare better but it's not sustainable. We can't shut down our economy for many months or there will be nothing left. The numbers of hospitalizations and deaths are going to be awful but it's unfortunately something we're going to have to accept. We somehow have to locate all the old and medically compromised and provide their groceries/medication and care.
Are you willing to accept those numbers if you are among them? I'm guessing that would be unacceptable to you. Always easy to be flippant about lives when they are not your own.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Are you willing to accept those numbers if you are among them? I'm guessing that would be unacceptable to you. Always easy to be flippant about lives when they are not your own.
Are you willing to accept 5 months of quarantine?

Reaction Score
If they don't close the supermarkets its a waste of time. People are shopping like its the week before Thanksgiving. People risking their life for a Hot Pocket.

This might be the dumbest post in a while. Congrats

Reaction Score

the math is more complicated than that. The unemployment, debt, homelessness and permanent loss of wealth would be staggering. If you are retired, are you going to be able to survive on10-20% of your current income? most seniors would be facing a future like that. Their kids and grand kids might be out of work, too, perhaps for years. Own a small business now? You would likely be shuttering it. With the amount of leverage today’s economy is built upon, the unwinding of it would be something the likes of which we have never seen. Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of suicides. We might eventually get back to a normal life but it would take years. And who knows, maybe the public dissatisfaction with our new status quo would turn us toward a completely different way of living.

there may be real trade off decisions coming down the road.

Reaction Score
Hard to say because I'm not in that position but I would like to think I would, my mom is willing to accept it and she's one of them. I'm clearly not being flippant, I think the choice is accepting those numbers or destroying the country and ruining it for future generations. Are you one of them and would you be okay with destroying the country for future generations if it meant giving you five more years of life? It also can and does effect people my age and younger, it can effect anyone. We have to be willing to sacrifice ourselves for the collective.

A Medical Worker Describes Terrifying Lung Failure From COVID-19 — Even in His Young Patients — ProPublica

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom