OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 27 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
My dad has been taking the train to NYC every day for work (he works in construction) and is still working next week even with the shutdown
I was driving around today and noticed construction sites still 'operating'. Workers were lumped close together and without masks. I guess the owner paid for work (or something to be built) and can not afford to be out of money and/or building.

Reaction Score
Per the Stop and Shop email:

"These hours are to help our more vulnerable customers shop in a less crowded environment, if they prefer".

Is it less crowded?
Its not the aisles that I noticed the problem, its the checkout lines. There was a huge backup and staffing was skeletal at that time. Remember with our own bags it takes longer to bag, and no clerks are going to assist touching items after people. Lots of comprised people waiting to check out. It helps because seniors take longer to transact.

The shopping was ideal, however.

Reaction Score
So get prepared to see some crazy stories out of Florida
Doesn't this happen almost every week? Seriously. Probably more than half the time I see some crazy news story about people doing something really stupid it's from Florida. What is it with the people in that state?

Reaction Score
Doesn't this happen almost every week? Seriously. Probably more than half the time I see some crazy news story about people doing something really stupid it's from Florida. What is it with the people in that state?
There is a whole genre of stupidity termed “Florida Man...” as in news stories like Florida Man arrested for something totally unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Florida is certainly crazy... with all of those transplants that flee for warmer climes or maybe just attempting to out run their wackiness.

...we even had Aaron Hernandez for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is a whole genre of stupidity termed “Florida Man...” as in news stories like Florida Man arrested for something totally unbelievable.

“It’s like the big leagues. It’s the Broadway for idiots.”

Since the article below came out, FloridaMan has further distinguished himself by getting bitten by an alligator while trying to give it a beer. It was also FloridaMan who was arrested for throwing an alligator through the drive up window at Wendy's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It’s much less that there’s “something in the water” that brings out the crazy, it’s just that we hear about them more. Though admittedly it’s more a well founded hypothesis than demonstrated fact.

Florida has a particularly transparent “sunshine law” on its public records, and those records, including arrest records, are available for free and immediately upon request within days, if not hours, of being filed; all a journalist has to do, typically, is call a local PD and ask for the file, and the department, with almost no exemptions, must release the records on such a request. It doesn’t matter if the PD has officially “released” the report.

It also helps that Florida has a high population and a greater than average access to alligators than most of the country. Almost anyone can bring a wild raccoon or possum into a liquor store whilst drunk; not as many can do the same with a gator.

Reaction Score
The problem with huge increases in national debt is that it drives up interest rates...which leads to tax hikes and spending cuts.....

....when there is lack of confidence in the country's ability to pay it's debt, investors demand higher interest rate returns.

That increase in interest rates would reduce the market value of outstanding government bonds, causing losses for investors and perhaps precipitating a broader financial crisis by creating losses for mutual funds, pension funds, insurance companies, banks, and other holders of government debt .....losses that might be large enough to cause some financial institutions to fail.

except that rates have been falling for the last ~20 years while the debt went from ~$4T to ~$22T....

Reaction Score
except that rates have been falling for the last ~20 years while the debt went from ~$4T to ~$22T....

And the Congressional Budget Office has warned that we may have to pay the piper....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I stopped at my local specialty store to pick up some things figuring they might not be open for awhile. Then it hit me to buy myself a $100. gift certificate. The guy says, "Thanks, this helps." I think I'm going to go the gift card route for my local restaurants instead of take-out.

Reaction Score
Interesting reading...and the debt has climbed since the CBO report...

Reaction Score
Right now, everyone had better be working on their contingency plan on how they will survive and carry-on if we see total economic collapse here and in Europe. That's how serious this potentially can be.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I am becoming very cognizant of what I'm touching in public. Was at the Mall in Waterbury and realized I was holding the rails on the escalators. My wife told me immediately when she saw me do this. Well on the way back up I touched it again, and jerked my hand like it was the 3rd line.

Have hand sanitizer in the car, but we have yet to stock up for Armageddon.

I'm somewhat cutting back on public places, and am becoming conscientious when buying groceries, shopping (touchy/feely), and even greeting friends. I so much want to go about my usual activities but this bombardment of updates (mostly scary stuff) has my mind so occupied when out of the house.

Also I have started to actually notice how frequently I am touching my face.

So crazy cuz a week ago, none of this was an issue.
I did an occupational exposure study of workers handling hazardous chemicals in PPE and you would be shocked at how many times you touch your face with your hands in the course of a work day even wearing gloves and knowlingly handling carcinogenic chemicals!!

Reaction Score
Interesting reading...and the debt has climbed since the CBO report...

What you and the article are saying is consistent with what Mr McEachern taught in economics 101 in the Monteith lecture hall (or was in Arjona?) in 1973. Problem is, that according to that line of thinking we should have had runaway inflation with interest rates as low as they are/have been. The only reasonable explanation to me is "nobody knows nothin"

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I love the “we can’t use any drugs because there haven’t be trials” reasoning. I think there’s 20,000 potential participants right now.

This link explains the caution. Medicine that is relatively safe under most circumstances can be deadly under certain circumstances. Aspirin can be deadly for certain children with a viral fever. So we don't know if the virus changes something in us to make those malarial drugs dangerous. Hence one of the reasons for testing. Another reason is there is a limited supply. It works for malaria. Removing it for the treatment of those patients to treat the corona virus and finding out it wasn't effective would be foolish.

Aspirin is safe until it isn't

Reaction Score
Was never a fan of his but Cuomo has been excellent since this all started.

Would hate to see what a bad job looks like.

NY now has almost half of the cases in the US. Seems to me he was initially more interested in chest bumping de Blasio, than protecting people. Late to the game with restrictions.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Right now, everyone had better be working on their contingency plan on how they will survive and carry-on if we see total economic collapse here and in Europe. That's how serious this potentially can be.
What happens to quarantines when people can’t pay their rent or mortgages? I give it two weeks tops before the riots and looting begins.

Reaction Score
Would hate to see what a bad job looks like.

NY now has almost half of the cases in the US. Seems to me he was initially more interested in chest bumping de Blasio, than protecting people. Late to the game with restrictions.

West Virginia was the last state to have any cases. People were praising them. But they weren't even trying to test people at that time. So which state was doing a better job?

Reaction Score
What happens to quarantines when people can’t pay their rent or mortgages? I give it two weeks tops before the riots and looting begins.

They've already said that evictions and foreclosures aren't going to be happening right now. But you do have to be in contact with the people you would normally pay. You can't just stop paying and not talk to them.

Reaction Score

Some banks are already halting foreclosures and penalties, eventually if it gets really bad the economy will be frozen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom