OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I love the “we can’t use any drugs because there haven’t be trials” reasoning. I think there’s 20,000 potential participants right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I suppose it’s a thing people have been out walking their dogs and such I take my dog for two walks a day and have been seeing a lot of dogs and owners out for the first times this week. A lot of them have no idea how to walk on a leash and it’s kinda scary. A massive greyhound got off its leash and went at my dog the other day.
My Rhodesian ridgeback has a very sweet disposition, so I think of her as a wimp. A while ago a pitbull was tied to a front porch pillar on a house that we were walking by. She took off charging at my dog full speed and ripped the pillar off the porch which then collapsed. My dog just stood her ground calmly and then jumped in the air just as soon as the pitbull got to her. She landed on top of the pit locked her front legs around her, got a good grip on her throat and then started shaking the pit back and forth. The pit’s owner made his way out of the debris at that point and reached into grab his dog. At that point I told my dog ‘drop’ and she let’s the pit go. As we walked away, she’s perfectly calm and unconcerned. Ever since that day, though, she makes a point to pee in front of that house and it’s rebuilt front porch.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Some helpful info from WTNH, New Haven: Linky

Stop & Shop’s hours for people ahead 60 and up are 6 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. every day.

Stop & Shop is far from the only retail chain offering this. Big Lots and Dollar General are dedicating the first hour of every day to senior shoppers.

Walmart is doing the same thing on Tuesdays. Target on Wednesdays. Big Y, Big Lots, Fresh Market, and Dollar General are following suit.

Big Y’s hours for seniors 60 and older as well as people with compromised immune systems are 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. every day. Regular store hours are 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. until further notice.

Would someone with knowledge please explain the logic of having people who are more at risk (seniors) herded into stores together all at the same time? It seems courteous but is it in their best interest to be exposed to so many people who are at risk? Am I missing something here?

CL82

Reaction Score
Would someone with knowledge please explain the logic of having people who are more at risk (seniors) herded into stores together all at the same time? It seems courteous but is it in their best interest to be exposed to so many people who are at risk? Am I missing something here?
I think the theory is that the stores clean overnight so there’s less of a risk of exposure from surfaces. Assuming the seniors are all social distancing, there’s a lower risk of person two person exposure than mixing with people who are out the workforce. Just a guess.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not exposing them to people who have been out at work and stuff probably. Just a bunch of people who have been shut in.

Jim

Reaction Score
What is worse is the anxiety this generates for those of us who have only recently reached senior status. I never before imagined that I would get carded trying to go buy toilet paper.:confused:

Reaction Score
What is worse is the anxiety this generates for those of us who have only recently reached senior status. I never before imagined that I would get carded trying to go buy toilet paper.:confused:

What? You have Tyler Phommachanh to get carded for?

January 1...Whoopee...this will be my year !

March 21...Here I am, wiping my ass with a coffee filter.

Life is capricious.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm in the Sarasota area of FL... All I can say is that if this spins out of control Florida is going to burn. I have about 45 guys in the field (HVAC) and the stories and the hoarding and the guns that I'm hearing are just so irrational that we better hope things work out. People are buying weapons not food.

So get prepared to see some crazy stories out of Florida
Do you think! From this thread:

No changes for the wife and I.

We live in a 55+ community in central Florida. No events have been cancelled. Friday night was a club dance. I played in the band - 9 instrumentalists and 5 singers. Over 300 people in the audience dancing away. Saturday night we had two performances of Herman's Hermits with Peter Noone. Dinner was also part of the package if you desired. Both shows were packed with 525 in our ballroom. Both dinners were at max of 80 people.

Sunday we traveled to a Barbershop Quartet concert. Another 300 people. Never was a thought of cancelling the event.

Our resturant and Bistro are packed every day and night.

Our travel club has cruises and European trips planned but no talk of cancellations yet. Our medical hospital across the street is giving us constant updates. Nothing near the crap being air on several new outlets.

Maybe because we live in a community of people that have been there, done that and got several t-shirts that there is no sense of panic or overreaction.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
@Dream Jobbed 2.0 wrote:

The only real hope we have right now is people staying home. South Korea got hit on a similar timeline as us and is already looking up while we haven’t come close to seeing the worst because they took social isolation seriously. If people would really take staying seriously we’d have a chance against this but THIS IS MURICA AND ITS MY RIGHT TO SPREAD INFECTIOUS DISEASE DERPY DURRRR

You responded:

do you think kids went to the beach in Korea on spring break??

This is how you responded to me on March 10:

I'm doing what I can to avoid it. My hands have never been cleaner or covered in more Purell, but I'm living my life...I just came back from a ski trip...the plane was full. I'm going to the gym tonight. But if I get it I don't expect to be a fatality.

Why don't we report every flu case and every flu fatality and panic the hell out of people too? I've not read anything that clearly explains why this is worse...but I've heard Dr's say corona virus is what causes the common cold, but this is a new variant. I'm sorry, the modern media cycle and politics are playing this up big time IMO

:cool:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
the math is more complicated than that. The unemployment, debt, homelessness and permanent loss of wealth would be staggering. If you are retired, are you going to be able to survive on10-20% of your current income? most seniors would be facing a future like that. Their kids and grand kids might be out of work, too, perhaps for years. Own a small business now? You would likely be shuttering it. With the amount of leverage today’s economy is built upon, the unwinding of it would be something the likes of which we have never seen. Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of suicides. We might eventually get back to a normal life but it would take years. And who knows, maybe the public dissatisfaction with our new status quo would turn us toward a completely different way of living.

there may be real trade off decisions coming down the road.
Three weeks will be the maximum from an economic standpoint. After that the devastation to the economy could be catastrophic. Unless our government choses to follow Denmark's handling of this pandemic:

Denmark’s Idea Could Help the World Avoid a Great Depression “We are freezing the economy.”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It's a plan hatched by GenZs to get rid of all the boomers in one fell swoop.

Reaction Score
My dad has been taking the train to NYC every day for work (he works in construction) and is still working next week even with the shutdown

Reaction Score
The problem with huge increases in national debt is that it drives up interest rates...which leads to tax hikes and spending cuts.....

....when there is lack of confidence in the country's ability to pay it's debt, investors demand higher interest rate returns.

That increase in interest rates would reduce the market value of outstanding government bonds, causing losses for investors and perhaps precipitating a broader financial crisis by creating losses for mutual funds, pension funds, insurance companies, banks, and other holders of government debt .....losses that might be large enough to cause some financial institutions to fail.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Was at my local Big Y this morning. The looks on some people's faces was eye-opening. Total disbelief. I had my cart in a position on the side of an aisle...went to get something and some dude yells "Excuse us!!". He wasn't with anyone. He just stood there glaring.

CL82

Reaction Score
What? You have Tyler Phommachanh to get carded for?

January 1...Whoopee...this will be my year !

March 21...Here I am, wiping my ass with a coffee filter.

Life is capricious.
Note to self: avoid the coffee at Billybudd’s house.

Reaction Score
Per the Stop and Shop email:

"These hours are to help our more vulnerable customers shop in a less crowded environment, if they prefer".

Is it less crowded?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom