OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 63 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
Don't forget that new cases and deaths are lagging indicators. They aren't necessarily indicative of the current rate of spread.

Reaction Score
On the 14th, New York added about 3-4 thousands deaths that had occurred in private homes around the state. Many had died in the previous week or more. The state decided that there was reason to add them to the coronavirus death total. The day that added them was the 14th.
If I'm not mistaken, they were never tested...just presumed positive...which is a strange way to conduct science. IMO.

Reaction Score
I believe his naked bongo drum video in his Texas house is better.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, they were never tested...just presumed positive...which is a strange way to conduct science. IMO.
Here's a link that might satisfy your scientific need and @Palatine's desire for charts:

Is It A Random Statistical Variation, Or Perhaps Clean Coal Isn't So Wonderful, OR Is It Just A Duck!

Where we found higher deaths than normal
AreaPCT. above normalExcess deathsReported Covid-19 deaths=Difference
Spain
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
66%19,70012,401=7,300
England & Wales
Mar. 7 - Apr. 10
33%16,70010,335=6,300
France
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
28%13,1008,059=5,100
New York City
Mar. 11 - Apr. 18
298%17,20013,240=4,000
Netherlands
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
33%4,0002,166=1,900
Istanbul
Mar. 9 - Apr. 12
29%2,1001,006=1,100
Jakarta
March
36%1,00084=900
Switzerland
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
21%1,000712=300
Belgium
Mar. 9 - Apr. 5
25%2,3002,373=-30
Sweden
Mar. 9 - Apr. 12
12%1,1001,160=-50
Note: Excess deaths are estimates that include deaths from Covid-19 and other causes. Reported Covid-19 deaths reflect official coronavirus deaths during the period when mortality data is available. In England and Wales, the Covid-19 deaths reflect the revised death figures from the Office of National Statistics. Istanbul reported deaths include those for all of Turkey, as city-level data has not been made public.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You cannot run in a mask.

And if you can run in a mask, you’re slow and you are actually walking.
I tried running with a mask on Saturday. No way I could do it for an extended period, but the road route that I run on Saturday mornings can be busy with other runners, walkers, bikers, roller bladers, etc., and even more so now that more people are exercising outside. After reading about the 15'-30' vapor wake in the article I posted upthread I figured I should have some type of covering available for when I come close enough for others to be in range.

It was pretty nasty out on Saturday morning so I used the balacava head covering I use for skiing, which has a hinged covering for the mouth and nose that you can pull up and down pretty easily. It was doable but definitely not enjoyable, and I only had it up for very brief periods when I was passing people and then going back in front of them. I need to find something better for warmer weather.

Reaction Score
You need oxygen to run. The mask lowers you intake of oxygen. Also it increases your retention of CO2 as you re-breathe the CO2 you create. You can probably run in a mask but it is difficult.

Reaction Score
Jumped waaaaayyyyyy up with 1835 new cases today but that also includes catching up on cases since back to the 16th
Talked to my state cop neighbor. He said there are definitely a lot more people out and about in CT then 3 weeks ago. I think the distancing gets old with some people. If like he says more and more people are out each week, positives may start rising.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Talked to my state cop neighbor. He said there are definitely a lot more people out and about in CT then 3 weeks ago. I think the distancing gets old with some people. If like he says more and more people are out each week, positives may start rising.
It was actually just a reporting anomaly. Added cases previously not recorded. CDC changed guidelines for some reporting. Back to normal yesterday.

Reaction Score
It's very hard to trust the numbers. They jump up and down. Seem to be re-adjusted by whim. The April 14th USA death numbers (on worldmeter) just went from over 6,000 to 2,500. So where did they go?

The CDC numbers don't tell you much as they tend to list total and do not breakdown by state.

Reaction Score
It could also mean we are getting more experienced in managing our safe practices (e.g. masks, gloves, distancing). If its maskless/gloveless congregating then its cause for alarm. But if its shoppers, walkers and strollers wearing PPE then it could just mean proper adjustments are being made.

In my community, I see more dog walkers, whole families out for a stroll (new experience!), women walking with babies, etc. now than I did weeks ago. No standing conversations though. They all have some sort of PPE. Just saying foot traffic is up.

Oh and the neighbors yards are looking much more manicured. :)

I think though the tell is road traffic. If the traffic maps (the rush hour ones) show increased activity that would mean something totally different in that people are traveling more as opposed to going outside.

Reaction Score
Gov. Andrew Cuomo promises ‘contact tracing army’ for tri-state region; Connecticut ranks third in deaths per capita

Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York promised Wednesday to build a “contact tracing army” in partnership with Connecticut and New Jersey and with help from billionaire Michael Bloomberg, as the region attempts to move past its coronavirus outbreak.

Cuomo said he has spoken to Gov. Ned Lamont as well as Gov. Phil Murphy of New Jersey about the plan, which will let authorities track the contacts of people infected with COVID-19 so those exposed can be isolated to prevent further spread of the virus.

Experts say mass contact tracing must be part of any plan to reopen schools and businesses as the coronavirus pandemic continues.

Cuomo said Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor and Democratic candidate for president, will help develop and implement the contact-tracing plan. Bloomberg has committed $10 million to the project, he said.

“How do we do it?” Cuomo said. “I don’t know, we’ve never done it before. Michael Bloomberg will design the program, design the training, he’s going to make a financial contribution also, put together an organization that’s going to help hire the people. ... This has to happen, you don’t have months to plan to do this, you have weeks to get this up and running.

Researchers from the University of Washington now estimate that Connecticut may be able to relax its social distancing after June 7 “with containment strategies that include testing, contact tracing, isolation, and limiting gathering size.”

Reaction Score
Gov. Andrew Cuomo promises ‘contact tracing army’ for tri-state region; Connecticut ranks third in deaths per capita

Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York promised Wednesday to build a “contact tracing army” in partnership with Connecticut and New Jersey and with help from billionaire Michael Bloomberg, as the region attempts to move past its coronavirus outbreak.

Cuomo said he has spoken to Gov. Ned Lamont as well as Gov. Phil Murphy of New Jersey about the plan, which will let authorities track the contacts of people infected with COVID-19 so those exposed can be isolated to prevent further spread of the virus.

Experts say mass contact tracing must be part of any plan to reopen schools and businesses as the coronavirus pandemic continues.

Cuomo said Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor and Democratic candidate for president, will help develop and implement the contact-tracing plan. Bloomberg has committed $10 million to the project, he said.

“How do we do it?” Cuomo said. “I don’t know, we’ve never done it before. Michael Bloomberg will design the program, design the training, he’s going to make a financial contribution also, put together an organization that’s going to help hire the people. ... This has to happen, you don’t have months to plan to do this, you have weeks to get this up and running.

Researchers from the University of Washington now estimate that Connecticut may be able to relax its social distancing after June 7 “with containment strategies that include testing, contact tracing, isolation, and limiting gathering size.”

U need phone data to see where people have been prior to their positive test...It doesn't seem that difficult on its face, but you have to manage a shitload of data and connections between data points. Surprised google/apple haven't done this or been paid by the govt to do it...they know where everyone is all the time.

Reaction Score
Connecticut cops are testing a 'pandemic drone' to monitor people's temperatures and detect sneezing and coughing

Police in Westport, Connecticut, are testing a 'pandemic drone' which can monitor and detect people with infectious respiratory conditions in public areas amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The drone is said to monitor people's temperatures from 190 feet away and has the ability to detect sneezing, coughing and heart and breathing rates using sensors and computer vision.

Police are working with Canadian drone company Draganfly, who first revealed in late March that they were working with the University of South Australia (UniSA) to develop the pandemic drone.

They are using the technology as part of a 'Flatten the Curve Pilot Program', which hopes to provide better health monitoring support for potential at-risk groups.

It marks the first in a series of test flights near New York City area COVID-19 hotspots to identify social distancing and detect symptoms presented by the virus.

The company initially expected the equipment to be ready in six months time but Westport police are already testing it out, a news release said Tuesday.

Researchers involved say the drone demonstrated that heart rate and breathing rate can be measured with high accuracy within 16 to 32 feet of people, using drones and at distances of up to 190 feet with fixed cameras.

And it uses special algorithms to spot someone sneezing and coughing.

The UniSA team led by Defence Chair of Sensor Systems Professor Javaan Chahl believes the UAV could be a viable screening tool for the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fairfield County, Connecticut is considered the epicenter in the state for the spread of the Coronavirus and Westport was the first town to report the most cases of infections.

Reaction Score
Connecticut cops are testing a 'pandemic drone' to monitor people's temperatures and detect sneezing and coughing

Researchers involved say the drone demonstrated that heart rate and breathing rate can be measured with high accuracy within 16 to 32 feet of people, using drones and at distances of up to 190 feet with fixed cameras.

So while the police are rolling out foreign developed drones to monitor peoples vital signs, people are piling into trucks with their guns to protest business restrictions. I see this ending well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With the ramped up testing, 2000 new cases today.
I've read and heard media, as well as been told by a source I trust that net hospitalizations is the key stat. Positives:tests has been 1:3, so the 2k new cases is not necessarily a surprise. Studies have indicated that testing needs to triple before restrictions begin to ease. CT did that today. +23 net hospitalizations is a good sign.

Reaction Score
I've read and heard media, as well as been told by a source I trust that net hospitalizations is the key stat. Positives:tests has been 1:3, so the 2k new cases is not necessarily a surprise. Studies have indicated that testing needs to triple before restrictions begin to ease. CT did that today. +23 net hospitalizations is a good sign.
I'm starting to think that is right. Daily hospitalizations would be a good number to track. Here's New York and it tells a story.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-21-at-1.31.16-PM-1234x615.png

Reaction Score
The main argument for the complete disruption of our society was to flatten the curve to avoid completely overwhelming our hospital and ICU capacity.

hospitalizations and bed capacities should absolutely be the metric used to “re-open” society.

If the goalposts get moved, it better be for a very clear and convincing scientific reason or else unrest will grow exponentially.

And I am a man of science and tech, but that drone monitoring stuff is sci-fi movie level creepy. It’s fricken allergy season. There’s gonna be people coughing and sneezing for reasons other than COVID. Those things, if they start using them, will will get shot down by people with projectile weapons. And I can’t say honestly that I wouldn’t think of doing the same myself if one was buzzing around me stalking me.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Got “socially distanced” married today at Elizabeth Park. Most people watched on Facebook live because Zoom didn’t work correctly. We still have a prepaid wedding in Charleston for next April that will sort of serve as our one year vow renewal/ wedding. I really just didn’t want to wait another year.

Congratulations!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We don't need drones. During my infrequent travels into the real world these days I am seeing pretty much everyone respecting everyone else. I'm so glad I don't live in chudville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom