What are you binge watching? | Page 61 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is the movie Fargo as predictable as it seems? I watched the first 1/2 hour and think I pretty much know exactly what's going to happen the rest of the movie.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it after having watched the series.

I don't think I have seen the whole Fargo movie. I keep meaning to watch it, and forget.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Paramount's "School Spirits" is on Netflix now. I was able to watch a sneak peak of the first episode previously. I decided to start over and am a couple eps in. Interesting show. Stars Peyton List from Cobra Kai. She suddenly finds herself a spirit wandering around her high school. She can't remember what happened. Students that died in various different eras are also there, and they have a support group. She's trying to solve the mystery of how she came to be dead.

Reaction Score
Finished it last night. It was well done. That two Nazis were after the diamond for different reasons made this more than just a standard story. Also, I was wondering if the female lead was actually blind as I thought she gave an incredible performance. And I guess it's still incredible because it was really her first acting job. She is legally blind, but that's due to complete color-blindness, not complete loss of vision. Laurie and Ruffalo were also very good.
Great question...just looked it up. Both of the actresses that play Marie (early life and later) are blind. Amazing performances...

Reaction Score
30 Coins. Started this on HBO. It comes from HBO Europe and is the first show from Spain I've ever seen. It's a bit odd at first, but I think there is potential for this to be quite interesting. It's in the second season, so isn't a flop. It follows a Padre Manuel Vergara in a small town, who is a boxer and had a rather tough background as he faces certain paranormal threats and a conspiracy of sorts involving the church. It's not clear to him at first, but it seems they are associated with the 30 silver coins the Romans paid Judas. Others caught up include a rather attractive veterinarian, Elena.
I thoroughly enjoyed the first season, but I feel it has jumped the shark in season 2. I enjoyed the unknown Spanish actors and the small-town European feel to Season 1. Season 2 feels Americanized with the addition of Paul Giamatti. I won't give up on it, but I am not as excited about it as I was in Season 1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Paramount's "School Spirits" is on Netflix now. I was able to watch a sneak peak of the first episode previously. I decided to start over and am a couple eps in. Interesting show. Stars Peyton List from Cobra Kai. She suddenly finds herself a spirit wandering around her high school. She can't remember what happened. Students that died in various different eras are also there, and they have a support group. She's trying to solve the mystery of how she came to be dead.
I've had a hard time getting into shows recently. I blasted thru this in 2 days (8 episodes). Quite good I thought. Red herrings galore. The end was a bit of a "what?!" Big cliffhanger, luckily it's not a Netflix original so hopefully it won't get cancelled without any resolution. The entire cast were unknowns to me other than Peyton, a number of very good performances.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. If you appreciate the recent Godzilla movies that really stayed true to the original from Toho, starting with Godzilla in 2014, you'd appreciate this. It's not about the Titans, it's about a family and how they are connected to and caught up in Monarch and the study of Titans. I think some of the movies were underrated and took a pretty restrained approach to CGI, relying on suspense and anticipation. This is even more restrained, almost no CGI monsters. It's what you'd expect from Apple+. Kurt Russell is the only "star", but Anna Sawai as Cate has the look of a future star, and Ren Watabe is good as Kentaro. There are some flashbacks from the past as well, and those are well done.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well not binging, but I'm in throw stuff at the wall and see if anything sticks mode. Watched 1 episode of Fall of the House of Usher, will probably try more. Then watched the first episode of A Nearly Normal Family (Swedish mystery/drama on Netflix). Will probably try more of that as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Threw another one at the wall. Florida Man on Netflix. Edgar Ramirez is a disgraced former cop who is under the thumb of a Philly gangster due to a little gambling problem. Gangster's girlfriend (Abbey Lee) splits to Florida, he sends Edgar to go bring her back. Edgar is from Florida. He does not want to return there, but duty calls. His dad is also a former cop who appears to be about as dirty as they come. Only watched the first episode, entertaining, looks like it's gonna get complicated.

edit--there's also an old gold coin that keeps turning up everywhere, there's some kind of legend of a sunken treasure off the coast; and somebody got bit by a shark while trying to save a girl from drowning, who then turned around and accused him of taking liberties with her; shoulda let her drown, or let the shark get her

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, I'm gonna declare "Florida Man" a winner. Watched 4 of 7 episodes. Zany, everybody is wheeling and dealing and double crossing, can't trust anybody. Abbey Lee makes a good femme fatale. Clark Gregg is wandering around and has yet to tie into the main plot (except his gun got stolen at the airport by the main character), but that must be coming eventually? Emory Cohen is working his way up the list of dumbest gangsters seen on screen.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I picked up ESPN+ for a month for the couple of football games on it. Cancelled it immediately but still got to use it till end of billing cycle. So I went back and watched some old 30 for 30s I hadn't see in awhile. And while there are some interesting stories in the 30 for 30 catalog, the one I loved most was the four-parter on the '86 Mets. What a team, what a year. A lot of fond memories watching that. I'd only seen it once before and even this time through learned some new and appalling things about how wild they were. There are many laugh out loud moments. While Keith and Bobby Ojeda probably had the most camera interview time, the bits with Nails were simply hysterical. The dude is totally out of his mind. And I had thought that at the time they were filming this, he'd already lost everything, but there he is poolside on some estate looking all alcoholic-ex-jockish. It's a must-see for any current or former Mets fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...I've watched Gunsmoke's with future stars in minor roles. Harrison Ford, Richard Dryfuss, Charles Bronson and I'm sure many others. Any names to add to Gunmoke or any other older programs?
One of the few old shows that still holds up is Perry Mason. Plenty of stars in that along the way; Robert Redford, James Coburn and Miss Landers from "Leave It to Beaver". They were trying to say the she was the murderer. Preposterous! But you need to watch it streaming not on a network. The shows ran long back then and were edited to fit in all the commercials. I saw an episode on MeTV where the killer confessed and it was the first time seeing the character, all of his prior scenes were cut out.

Reaction Score
The Warden and I finished up Lessons in Chemistry. Good story from what I understand is a great book and Brie Larson was great and lovely.

We also finished All the Light We Cannot See. Great cast with Hugh Laurie and Mark Ruffalo with major parts, but Aria Mia Loberti, a native of Rhode Island, was absolutely special. The main character is blind as is actress. She had no previous acting experience and beat out thousands of submissions for the part. Having not read the book, my wife enjoyed it more than I did. I read the book and to me it seemed rushed and could have stretched out 2-4 more episodes without dragging on.

We are now putting a whooping on For All Mankind. One episode left in S3. We are really enjoying it. I am watching Monarch: Legacy of Monsters and am enjoying that as well.

Reaction Score
The Warden and I finished up Lessons in Chemistry. Good story from what I understand is a great book and Brie Larson was great and lovely.

We also finished All the Light We Cannot See. Great cast with Hugh Laurie and Mark Ruffalo with major parts, but Aria Mia Loberti, a native of Rhode Island, was absolutely special. The main character is blind as is actress. She had no previous acting experience and beat out thousands of submissions for the part. Having not read the book, my wife enjoyed it more than I did. I read the book and to me it seemed rushed and could have stretched out 2-4 more episodes without dragging on.

We are now putting a whooping on For All Mankind. One episode left in S3. We are really enjoying it. I am watching Monarch: Legacy of Monsters and am enjoying that as well.
I read All the Light We Cannot See at the same time as watching the mini-series. Managed to stay pretty un-confused, and it was interesting to see how they abbreviated the book to cram the story into the time slot. Agree it maybe could have used a few more episodes, but overall I think they did a great job.

Reaction Score
It's based on Bad Luck & Trouble. It's the one where the members of his old squad start getting killed. The trailer looks great.

S2 dropped today on prime for REACHER

I think it’s just first 3 episodes, with balance coming on a weekly basis?

Thanks to Billy Bud for providing the awesome S2 preview.

Reacher, “I need a new jacket “
Clerk, “What’s wrong with the one you just bought?”
Reacher, “It has blood on it.”

Priceless!

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I was most of the way thru it, so I stayed with "A Murder At The End of the World." Not worth it. Fairly dull, the big twist wasn't redeeming. Oh well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched "Lawmen: Bass Reeves". I found it a bit uneven. Seemed there were some characters/storylines that should've been left on the editing floor. David Oyelowo was fine I guess, he didn't have to show a ton of range, so as a former slave turned lawman with perfect teeth, he did the job. Dennis Quaid was pretty good as a crusty old gunfighter, and he actually looked like the era. But the star, for me, was Barry Pepper, who quietly has become one of the best actors, IMO, of his generation. Off top of my head, I can't think of a performance I've seen where he mailed it in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Watched "Lawmen: Bass Reeves". I found it a bit uneven. Seemed there were some characters/storylines that should've been left on the editing floor. David Oyelowo was fine I guess, he didn't have to show a ton of range, so as a former slave turned lawman with perfect teeth, he did the job. Dennis Quaid was pretty good as a crusty old gunfighter, and he actually looked like the era. But the star, for me, was Barry Pepper, who quietly has become one of the best actors, IMO, of his generation. Off top of my head, I can't think of a performance I've seen where he mailed it in.
Have this on my list. By the way, if you have Paramount+ (it seems) the new Frazier show has been fun. It's an old school sitcom, like the original, but it works pretty well. The kid playing Frazier's son is a great fit as a Boston based 30 something. Interesting cast.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Have this on my list. By the way, if you have Paramount+ (it seems) the new Frazier show has been fun. It's an old school sitcom, like the original, but it works pretty well. The kid playing Frazier's son is a great fit as a Boston based 30 something. Interesting cast.
Didn't really care for the original. Thought the best parts of that were Eddie and Jane Leeve's legs.

I think if Frasier was cast with BYers, he'd be played by Nelson. Although Nelson could probably also play Lilith convincingly.

Reaction Score
8 years late to the party but I watched the first episode of Patriot last night. Seems like an excellent dark comedy. My boss recommended it and says it will only get better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was most of the way thru it, so I stayed with "A Murder At The End of the World." Not worth it. Fairly dull, the big twist wasn't redeeming. Oh well.
You finished it so we didn't have to! Thanks

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence (2018), a 3 part series on Prime. Decent. A bit repetitive, kept showing a few scenes over and over, but they don't give the full picture, in fact it was deliberately meant to mislead or confuse. I think I've seen enough Christie adaptations now to suggest that she makes almost every character look like they could be the guilty party, before revealing the true killer. This had a very good cast, although most of them didn't really have a chance to shine. Bill Nighy, Anna Chancellor, Ella Purnell, Eleanor Tomlinson, Alice Eve, Matthew Goode and several more I wasn't familiar with. Briefly Nighy and Chancellor are a well to do couple. They adopt 5 kids by ones or twos. Chancellor is a cold, hard hearted woman. All of the kids grow up to resent her for various reasons. She ends up dead early on, one of her sons is charged and then is beaten to death in jail before a trial. Then we skip forward more than a year and Nighy is on the verge of remarrying the much younger Eve. Strings begin to be tugged and things unravel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom