What are you binge watching? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Robin and Barney getting together was a massive misstep to me.

The show was supposed to be about how he met the mother of his kids, they used to appear briefly in every episode. Eventually it became clear that wasn't what it was about at all, it was Ted and his friends and all their crazy, fun, dumb high jinks during their 20s. The kids more or less disappeared. There would be an occasional teaser to suggest they were still focused on the mother, but to me it got worn out long before it reached its end.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Robin and Barney getting together was a massive misstep to me.

The show was supposed to be about how he met the mother of his kids, they used to appear briefly in every episode. Eventually it became clear that wasn't what it was about at all, it was Ted and his friends and all their crazy, fun, dumb high jinks during their 20s. The kids more or less disappeared. There would be an occasional teaser to suggest they were still focused on the mother, but to me it got worn out long before it reached its end.

I disagree on the first front.

That’s probably the most believable part of the show.

The second part is entirely fair.

But again, from what I understand, the mother who we got wasn’t the original choice

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Started The Bad Batch, but can’t binge because it is released weekly. There are several Clone Wars episodes that are nearly essential to understanding it. My daughter knew those so I caught up and we are watching together.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the first two episodes of Mad Men. I'm not sure I can continue. Even knowing its a period piece, I'm having a tough time not getting angry at the callousness of the main male characters towards women. And while I knew there was a lot of smoking the first time I watched, this time it just looks ridiculous.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the first two episodes of Mad Men. I'm not sure I can continue. Even knowing its a period piece, I'm having a tough time not getting angry at the callousness of the main male characters towards women. And while I knew there was a lot of smoking the first time I watched, this time it just looks ridiculous.

I will stipulate that Mad Men is my favorite television show ever.

The first two episodes really emphasize the sexism of the era, and the first season as a whole has some cringy incidents which are cringy by design.

If you have seen the show already, you know that Don Draper is an scalitohole, and he does not get better as a person as the show goes on.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I will stipulate that Mad Men is my favorite television show ever.

The first two episodes really emphasize the sexism of the era, and the first season as a whole has some cringy incidents which are cringy by design.

If you have seen the show already, you know that Don Draper is an scalitohole, and he does not get better as a person as the show goes on.
I think the first time around it didn't bother me much as it was new, different, and you might say even a high form of art for television at the time. So I just played along. This time, the cringe factor has increased at least tenfold.

Funny thing is, when I graduated UConn, I wanted to become Jerry DellaFamina.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Halston on Netflix - really good, not perfect. Ewan McGregor is one of the best actors of his generation, and he is incredible in this. McGregor is so good at the little things, without going too far. Unlike some actors, he doesn't spend a whole movie showing you how great an actor he is, he just tells the story of his character. While much of the story is simple rise and decadent fall, McGregor does such a good job of humanizing a difficult character that you don't exactly like Halston, but you end up interested in what happens next. My only complaint is that Netflix went cheap with the supporting cast, and the actor that plays Halston's long time lover Victor Hugo is so bad that it is distracting.

Reviews have been mixed which is puzzling. I like it.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Binge watched the first season of Downton Abbey, which recently landed on Netflix.

The show is reasonably entertaining, but is this really prestige television? It is very soapy. I get that the era was epitomized to silly, vapid people, but some of the "crises" are ridiculous, and seamlessly mixed in with real crises, like a major character scalitoing a man to death, or one of the servants doing something that results in the serious injury of one of the aristocrats, that I feel deserved a bit more serious reflection. The show also makes it clear which characters we are supposed to be rooting to hook up because they are the two best looking people in the show.

The directors are a bit heavy handed too. The show uses some old television tropes like having a big plot line resolved in a single episode, which I only notice because prestige shows don't really do that much anymore. There are a lot of reaction shots, and we know how we are supposed to feel because of the music. Music is the new laugh track, but has greater utility because it can be used in comedies and dramas.

There are many shows and movies that have covered the pre-war class system in Britain, and honestly, I think there are several examples of it being done better. Heck, Game of Thrones handled the human impact of the class system better, and that show had dragons and ice zombies. But I guess a show can repackage plotlines from the Young and the Restless and win awards if everyone wears fancy clothes and speaks British.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Watching Elle Fanning in, "The Great."

I am surprisingly hooked by the period piece set in the 1700s in Russia. Catherine The Great was a bride for Peter III. He is absolute dose and you can't wait for his demise. Elle Fanning is great. Overall, great cast performances.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am surprisingly hooked by the period piece set in the 1700s in Russia. Catherine The Great was a bride for Peter III. He is absolute dose and you can't wait for his demise. Elle Fanning is great. Overall, great cast performances.

This was really good. Nicholas Hoult carried the show. He was so funny as Peter III. It is not really a period piece in that it is obviously taking massive liberties with the truth, but it is very entertaining.

Reaction Score

Huzzah!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ted Lasso on Apple+, which was recommended to me by a few people on the board. It isn't much of a binge as it is only a dozen episodes, give or take, but the new season starts next month. Well worth it. Basic premise is that a wealthy woman is awarded her cheating ex-husbands prized premier league soccer club. She hires "division II" football coach (Wichita State, actually) Ted Lasso to coach the team as she is sure that he will run into the ground. He is a decent, good natured guy and begins to win people over.

Think of it as a cross between Forrest Gump and Major League. It is surprisingly good.

FWIW, Apple+ is going to launching a new series based on Isaac Asimoff's Foundation novels. I am looking forward to seeing how they tackle it since spans 100's of years and built upon a very dry concept (the actions of people can be predicted with mathematical certainty so long as the number of people is large enough.) I loved these books when I was younger. It may be the best science fiction series every written.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This was really good. Nicholas Hoult carried the show. He was so funny as Peter III. It is not really a period piece in that it is obviously taking massive liberties with the truth, but it is very entertaining.
Like everyone actor is with a British accent?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I finished Ted Lasso in like two days. Addictive.

I just started Schitt's Creek. While not as wildly hilarious as some of my friends suggested, it's pretty good.

Reaction Score
I finished Ted Lasso in like two days. Addictive.

I just started Schitt's Creek. While not as wildly hilarious as some of my friends suggested, it's pretty good.
I had the same reaction, was underwhelmed but still enjoyed the first season. I think it was sometime early season 2 where the show found it's niche and took off

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Happy Endings" is on Netflix. I watched Season 1 and 2 previously, but never got to see the final season. I only watched one ep. last night, but I think I'll be binging that.

CL82

Reaction Score
Burn Notice on Hulu.

I watched this USA show back in day and liked it when it was the top show on cable. So far it is holding up on the rewatch.

The premise is that uber spy Michael Weston is "blacklisted" in the middle of operation. He takes a vicious beating and makes a run for it barely getting on a plane out. He passes out on the plane and wakes up in Miami. All of his assets are frozen and he's told if he leaves Miami all hell will rain down on him. He takes on "cases" using his spy skills which he explains in voice over. Gabrielle Anwar co-stars as his ex-girlfriend IRA affiliated mercenary Fiona Glenanne along with B movie actor Bruce Campbell who plays a burned out alcoholic ex-seal, Sam Axe. And Sharon Gless as his mom. There's good chemistry and pacing. It's an easy watch and I kind like the fact that the all the main characters are pretty 'damaged."

the Q

Reaction Score
Burn Notice on Hulu.

I watched this USA show back in day and liked it when it was the top show on cable. So far it is holding up on the rewatch.

The premise is that uber spy Michael Weston is "blacklisted" in the middle of operation. He takes a vicious beating and makes a run for it barely getting on a plane out. He passes out on the plane and wakes up in Miami. All of his assets are frozen and he's told if he leaves Miami all hell will rain down on him. He takes on "cases" using his spy skills which he explains in voice over. Gabrielle Anwar co-stars as his ex-girlfriend IRA affiliated mercenary Fiona Glenanne along with B movie actor Bruce Campbell who plays a burned out alcoholic ex-seal, Sam Axe. And Sharon Gless as his mom. There's good chemistry and pacing. It's an easy watch and I kind like the fact that the all the main characters are pretty 'damaged."

I love this show. It’s probably my favorite show of all time.

i re-watched it at the start of the pandemic.

it totally holds up. Great popcorn tv.

the main characters have Better chemistry than any show I’ve seen (I think the only one close is probably white collar, also on USA).

the ending grows on me each time I watch it

the Q

Reaction Score
She's by far the low point of the cast and show. Couldn't stand her character.

but she plays that annoying character so well lol

CL82

Reaction Score
She's by far the low point of the cast and show. Couldn't stand her character.
Same. Maybe Barry.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, after multiple suggestions I binged right through Season 1 of Schitt’s Creek. Slow start but it picks up steam as you warm to the characters. Funny but also interesting to see people capable in one world adapt to another. Struggling at first with the basics.

Reaction Score
So, after multiple suggestions I binged right through Season 1 of Schitt’s Creek. Slow start but it picks up steam as you warm to the characters. Funny but also interesting to see people capable in one world adapt to another. Struggling at first with the basics.

Pretty universal opinion is that Season 1 is a not a fair representation of the overall quality of the series. Season 2 onwards >>> Season 1. Me, wife, & teen daughters loved it. Enjoy!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Happy Endings" is on Netflix. I watched Season 1 and 2 previously, but never got to see the final season. I only watched one ep. last night, but I think I'll be binging that.
First few episodes, it didn't seem as funny as I remembered. Took a bit to find it's groove. Now I'm enjoying it. Most of the way thru Season 1.

There are plenty of shows about a quirky group of 20 something friends hanging out and navigating thru life together. This is one of them. Not gonna try to rank it or compare it to others, but I'm definitely having fun watching it again.

As an aside, Max Greenfield--Schmidt from The New Girl--made a guest appearance. I wonder how many people were in more than 1 of these types of shows? Well to answer my own question Damon Wayans, Jr. was in the pilot of New Girl, bailed to be in Happy Endings, then went back to New Girl when Endings was cancelled. I'm pretty sure he was the only main cast member of more than 1 of these shows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom