What are you binge watching? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That Saturday lineup truly was "must see TV", although I didn't care all that much for M*A*S*H, mostly because I found Alan Alda smarmy.

As an aside, I banned patchouli from our coffeehouse. Seriously, you couldn't smell or taste anything after being exposed to some freak wearing it like Axe. Glad I wasn't in LA in 1974.
The thing I always said about M*A*S*H was that I was never excited to watch it because it felt like it was going to be work, but I was always glad I did once I started.

But no show ever did a worse job replacing characters. Every one was a downgrade. We rarely watched after Charles replaced Frank. Always watched the ones with Henry, which remain my favorites.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Huge in France has potential. First season was solid, not great. I don't know if Netflix is going to do another season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Binge isn't the right word, more like set up for future binging. I noticed Amazon Prime has "How I Met Your Mother." I loved that show when it came out. It lost me by the 3rd or 4th season. Figured it would be fun to go back and watch the early episodes again. The pilot knocked it out of the park. Ted, Marshall & Lily, Barney, Robin...such a fun zany crew.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Somehow we are in Masterpiece/PBS WWII mode.

Still watching Atlantic Crossing, but can't binge as it is released weekly. Very well done, and seldom told story about the role of Norway and the royal family in WWII.

Two episodes complete in a different WWII show. My Grandparents’ War | PBS This is four distinct episodes where a celebrity explores the experiences of their grandparent in WWII. Accidently started with Carey Mulligan in episode 4, but it doesn't matter. She's got an interesting story, and she just has a lovely voice and is very likeable. Also watched Mark Rylance episode. Both involved the war in the Pacific. Next two are Helena Bonham Carter and Kristin Scott Thomas. These folks travel to the places where their grandparents were, talk to experts and historians and get details about their specific experiences.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Binge isn't the right word, more like set up for future binging. I noticed Amazon Prime has "How I Met Your Mother." I loved that show when it came out. It lost me by the 3rd or 4th season. Figured it would be fun to go back and watch the early episodes again. The pilot knocked it out of the park. Ted, Marshall & Lily, Barney, Robin...such a fun zany crew.

I thought it died at the end of season 6 or 7. Supposedly it was supposed to stop at the end of one of them but was too profitable so they had to drag out to the terrible ending

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big Shot - Disney Plus show with John Stamos as big time college basketball coach that ends up coaching a girls high school team. Normal fish out of water stuff. It is a dramedy that could have easily been a lot funnier, but the show is OK, although it is very emotionally manipulative. I suspect the target audience is about 30+ years younger than me.

One complaint: With one or two exceptions, the actresses that play the girls on the team kind of suck at basketball. Even with the montage game scenes, 4 of the 6 actresses are not credible as high school girls basketball players if you pay attention even a little bit. These are all unknowns. The producers couldn't find 6 athletes that could act?

the Q

Reaction Score
Big Shot - Disney Plus show with John Stamos as big time college basketball coach that ends up coaching a girls high school team. Normal fish out of water stuff. It is a dramedy that could have easily been a lot funnier, but the show is OK, although it is very emotionally manipulative. I suspect the target audience is about 30+ years younger than me.

One complaint: With one or two exceptions, the actresses that play the girls on the team kind of suck at basketball. Even with the montage game scenes, 4 of the 6 actresses are not credible as high school girls basketball players if you pay attention even a little bit. These are all unknowns. The producers couldn't find 6 athletes that could act?

Agreed. It’s fine overall. Probably could be a little more fun than it is.

Reaction Score
Reckoning-10 episodes-Sam Trammel-serial killer drama very character driven.
The Widow-8 episodes I think- international drama about her husband dying in a mysterious plane crash
Absentia-Stana Kativ-intense FBI drama-dozens of plot twists-3 seasons

Reaction Score
Not binge watching but keeping up and watching Survivor for first time ever.
You picked a good time to watch, the winners only season. It was pretty epic, overall. Survivor is a really fun show to watch. Only started watching about halfway through, but have gone back and watched every season and started over again. I "watch" during my workouts. It's a perfect show for that as it moves relatively slow and Probst does a great running play by play (after about the 6th or 8th season, anyhow). Would love to do a study group on the show to figure out what it really takes to win, besides luck, as that is a definite factor. Surprised I don't recall ever hearing anyone talk about the prisoner's dilemma as that is a consistent theme every season - people are going to get screwed over at some point. If you want to in, you have to do the screwing first. Currently working through season 27(?) the Blood vs Water season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You picked a good time to watch, the winners only season. It was pretty epic, overall. Survivor is a really fun show to watch. Only started watching about halfway through, but have gone back and watched every season and started over again. I "watch" during my workouts. It's a perfect show for that as it moves relatively slow and Probst does a great running play by play (after about the 6th or 8th season, anyhow). Would love to do a study group on the show to figure out what it really takes to win, besides luck, as that is a definite factor. Surprised I don't recall ever hearing anyone talk about the prisoner's dilemma as that is a consistent theme every season - people are going to get screwed over at some point. If you want to in, you have to do the screwing first. Currently working through season 27(?) the Blood vs Water season.

I guess I could find out some of that info for you.

In the realm of almost famous, it turns out Amber and Boston Rob go to the same church my family goes to and I've seen and known who they are for over a decade. Good probability I've been at some bbq's at mutual friends' houses over the years.

I knew the family by face but for a few years had no idea who they were until someone told me they were the Survivor couple and family.

Reaction Score
I guess I could find out some of that info for you.

In the realm of almost famous, it turns out Amber and Boston Rob go to the same church my family goes to and I've seen and known who they are for over a decade. Good probability I've been at some bbq's at mutual friends' houses over the years.

I knew the family by face but for a few years had no idea who they were until someone told me they were the Survivor couple and family.
I know after the last season I watched, Rob wrote a book on his "rules for life"... Yup, it's on Amazon, so it got published. What I'm talking about, though, is a detailed breakdown of every season, compiled together to weigh all the factors, age, luck, numbers, physical ability, alliances, sub-alliances, etc.

Rob and Amber are Survivor royalty. Them and a few others - Tyson, Malcolm, Parvati, Tony, Sandra, Ozzie, Rupert, Coach, and Russell Hantz if you're including villains.

Reaction Score

My God are they promoting the &H*T out of this show. When we can't get past the commercials on Hulu when we're watching some Discovery cooking show, they literally play the same commercial back to back and during every break. Unreal

the Q

Reaction Score

Being the best player is never one of them.

It’s why I dislike all those shows. Everyone gangs up on the best player once you down around the final 5 or 6.

Reaction Score
Being the best player is never one of them.

It’s why I dislike all those shows. Everyone gangs up on the best player once you down around the final 5 or 6.
Eh. Certainly if you define "best" as the most physical, that's true. Mostly because their best asset is obvious and on display all day, every day. But it's "outwit, outplay, outlast", so being "the best" can only get you to "outplay". But even then, the "best" do still win. And, again, there's still a lot of luck involved. You hit the beach on day one and make an alliance with 4 people, and you end up in a situation where there is another alliance with 5, you're screwed. Or they play an idol at the right time and negate your numbers. Or they mix up the tribes and you end up on the wrong side of the numbers in your new group.

There are a ton of ways things can go sideways. One of the biggest is being too arrogant and thinking your top abilities will carry you through. Ozzy suffered from that three times. Being "the best" just puts a bigger target on your back early on. Better to sandbag a bit early to take the focus off yourself, and hold out until you really need it.

One of the things that has changed over the years is that people have become a lot more sensitive to who is being overly strategic in their thinking too early.

the Q

Reaction Score
Eh. Certainly if you define "best" as the most physical, that's true. Mostly because their best asset is obvious and on display all day, every day. But it's "outwit, outplay, outlast", so being "the best" can only get you to "outplay". But even then, the "best" do still win. And, again, there's still a lot of luck involved. You hit the beach on day one and make an alliance with 4 people, and you end up in a situation where there is another alliance with 5, you're screwed. Or they play an idol at the right time and negate your numbers. Or they mix up the tribes and you end up on the wrong side of the numbers in your new group.

There are a ton of ways things can go sideways. One of the biggest is being too arrogant and thinking your top abilities will carry you through. Ozzy suffered from that three times. Being "the best" just puts a bigger target on your back early on. Better to sandbag a bit early to take the focus off yourself, and hold out until you really need it.

One of the things that has changed over the years is that people have become a lot more sensitive to who is being overly strategic in their thinking too early.

They make sure they can’t by ganging up.

Don’t get me started on all the random crap these shows throw into them, idols or powers or whatever. My family and extended family all are into this stuff.

the Q

Reaction Score
My God are they promoting the &H*T out of this show. When we can't get past the commercials on Hulu when we're watching some Discovery cooking show, they literally play the same commercial back to back and during every break. Unreal

It’s good to own the platform. Lol.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
They make sure they can’t by ganging up.

Don’t get me started on all the random crap these shows throw into them, idols or powers or whatever. My family and extended family all are into this stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Producers were manipulating the outcome. In Season One, kudos to Richard Hatch for figuring out how the game was won. (form voting blocks). But one first season contestant, a lawyer named Stacey, sued the show with evidence the producers manipulated the out come. I believe she settled out of court. After that, every contestant had to sign a strict contract not to sue.

In season 5, winner Brian Heidek played a great game not only making it to the finals, but taking with him someone that no one could vote for. I believe they went to three finalists after that, so that it couldn't happen again.

Winners Boston Rob in season 22, and John Cochran in season 26 must have been assisted. As fan favorites, no way these two win on their own.

They could easily manipulate who finds the hidden idols, and when they find them. Call me cynical.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Only about a half dozen episodes into HIMYM. Quickly realizing Lily is by far my favorite character of the mainstays. Barney is funny but the ultimate db. Ted is okay but kind of a jerk and kind of an idiot. I like Robin but she can be kinda frustrating. Marshall is fine but fairly one note. And then there's dear, sweet, but slightly sassy Lily.

I think the cameos/guest appearances will keep me interested for a while. Already seen Jayma Mays as coat check girl. The Slutty Pumpkin made a brief appearance, although we didn't see her face. I thought that was Danica McKellar, looked it up, she's Pineapple Girl. Katie Holmes is the pumpkin. I remember Alison Williams (Kimberley's younger sister) was one of my favorites. Of course Sarah Chalke had a recurring role for a while.

How in the world did such an average guy like Ted get a never ending stream of hotties?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Only about a half dozen episodes into HIMYM. Quickly realizing Lily is by far my favorite character of the mainstays. Barney is funny but the ultimate db. Ted is okay but kind of a jerk and kind of an idiot. I like Robin but she can be kinda frustrating. Marshall is fine but fairly one note. And then there's dear, sweet, but slightly sassy Lily.

I think the cameos/guest appearances will keep me interested for a while. Already seen Jayma Mays as coat check girl. The Slutty Pumpkin made a brief appearance, although we didn't see her face. I thought that was Danica McKellar, looked it up, she's Pineapple Girl. Katie Holmes is the pumpkin. I remember Alison Williams (Kimberley's younger sister) was one of my favorites. Of course Sarah Chalke had a recurring role for a while.

How in the world did such an average guy like Ted get a never ending stream of hotties?
The last 4 episodes of season 1 through the end of like season 6. Are so. Freaking. Good. After that ... it’s not great.

Lily will not stay your favorite forever.

I’m actually jealous of you for seeing this for the first time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched it when it was airing originally. Thru maybe season 3 or 4. Then it was sporadic.

Yeah, I know Lily kinda loses her mind and has to "find herself" on the other side of the country.

the Q

Reaction Score
The last 4 episodes of season 1 through the end of like season 6. Are so. Freaking. Good. After that ... it’s not great.

Lily will not stay your favorite forever.

Until the s7 walk off for Ted (to avoid spoilers) it was good. I believe the original intent was for the show to end there, but it was making too much money to kill it.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the series, I think they massively dropped the ball at the end but it gets so much criticism.. I loved the show, the writing was so good - for a while..

the Q

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the series, I think they massively dropped the ball at the end but it gets so much criticism.. I loved the show, the writing was so good - for a while..

The last 2 seasons were not good.

The ending is abysmal.

But it’s a fun ride.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69