Westbrook waiver denied | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Westbrook waiver denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No I don't think she would start at the wing over senior Megan Walker nor 6'3" freshman Aaliyah Edwards.
Evina through HS, AAU and at TN was a combo guard. Playing on the wing would required her to switch position and she would have to improve her perimeter defense drastically.

There is not a big difference between playing the 2 vs the 3, especially in UConn's system.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The saying "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" comes to mind.

So because she, as a sample size of one, has firsthand anecdotal experience, she suddenly is the authority who can make sweeping comments about how the process works for every single athlete.

She can't possibly know for certain, for example, that her request wasn't aided as a result of being a transfer to Notre Dame. She may sincerely believe that it was no factor, but believing and knowing are two different things. (One would think a Notre Dame graduate would've been taught that difference.) Even her own dad said he had no idea why the request was approved.
Plebe, normally a fan of your hot takes, but this one is pretty cold. I'll speak from a relevant experience. When one completes the Standard Form 86 to seek a security clearance, one must furnish quite a lot of information, and provide a number of corroborating third-parties who can confirm certain key facts about your background. The applicant and all of those individuals are interviewed, and in some circumstances re-interviewed. Sure, I'm an N of 1. But I can tell you with great certainty that every address I've lived at post-college was a required part of that form, but which classes I took in college, and what grades I got on them, wasn't.

So If Shep knows that they don't ask questions about "Why Notre Dame," they don't ask for contacts at Notre Dame to interview about her situation, and in her appeal she did not need to provide new information justifying her choice of Notre Dame specifically, then I think she can speak with more authority than any of us can about why the transfer-in school is not relevant to the process. Unless and until you have evidence to the contrary, fact-free assertions don't make her claim implausible.

Reaction Score

Notre Dame's Shepherd is the biggest example of NCAA compliance variance, but Tennesee's coaching change should be enough. If the parents have more waiver evidence we should push to the limits of the appeal process.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Incidentally, I looked for the transfer waiver form and couldn't find it on a quick google, but I did find the description of the process, and the key question is whether the transfer was necessitated by "documented mitigating circumstances outside the student-athlete's control."

I would not be shocked if in EW's situation, given that she and her family members were dousing kerosine on the fan fire at times, and that EW essentially called for Holly to be fired days before she was, that any argument that she had to transfer because of fan hostility or the coaching change would not be considered "mitigating circumstances outside the student-athlete's control."

Now, whether or not that's a good reason is totally worth questioning. But I based on the brief description of the criteria I don't think EW has an open-and-shut case based on what I have heard about her reasons for transferring.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If anyone doubts that Shepard was denied a waiver then granted one on appeal ! Look up Wikipedia.

Would you be kind enough to provide a link to the wikipedia article please? I could not find it. Thanks

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Would you be kind enough to provide a link to the wikipedia article please? I could not find it. Thanks

Don't worry about it. Shepard was not denied by the NCAA.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Shepherd is the biggest example of NCAA compliance variance, but Tennesee's coaching change should be enough. If the parents have more waiver evidence we should push to the limits of the appeal process.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a coach bolting a university be more relevant than one being fired? Not that EW was happy with the coaching in the first place. I have to think her and UConn's argument went in a direction other than Warlick's dismissal.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plebe, normally a fan of your hot takes, but this one is pretty cold. I'll speak from a relevant experience. When one completes the Standard Form 86 to seek a security clearance, one must furnish quite a lot of information, and provide a number of corroborating third-parties who can confirm certain key facts about your background. The applicant and all of those individuals are interviewed, and in some circumstances re-interviewed. Sure, I'm an N of 1. But I can tell you with great certainty that every address I've lived at post-college was a required part of that form, but which classes I took in college, and what grades I got on them, wasn't.

So If Shep knows that they don't ask questions about "Why Notre Dame," they don't ask for contacts at Notre Dame to interview about her situation, and in her appeal she did not need to provide new information justifying her choice of Notre Dame specifically, then I think she can speak with more authority than any of us can about why the transfer-in school is not relevant to the process. Unless and until you have evidence to the contrary, fact-free assertions don't make her claim implausible.
I never said her claim was implausible. But if she's making a claim, she bears the burden of proof, not me.

Just because no one formally asked "why Notre Dame" or formally asked for interviews Notre Dame folks doesn't prove anything about whether the destination school was a factor in the process. Unless she can **prove** that the people considering her request were unaware of which school she had transferred to, she hasn't proven anything. Only stated her belief. Her belief may be a plausible one, but it hasn't been proven.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The saying "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" comes to mind.

So because she, as a sample size of one, has firsthand anecdotal experience, she suddenly is the authority who can make sweeping comments about how the process works for every single athlete.

She can't possibly know for certain, for example, that her request wasn't aided as a result of being a transfer to Notre Dame. She may sincerely believe that it was no factor, but believing and knowing are two different things. (One would think a Notre Dame graduate would've been taught that difference.) Even her own dad said he had no idea why the request was approved.
Oh come on! An astute poster like yourself would concede that you have no idea if Jessica knows this difference or that there are people who have graduated from your own and all other alma mater that do not know this difference. You are simultaneous lashing out at something Jessica said and ND because of a perceived benefit that the NCAA gave to ND. All of that is misdirected. Your target needs to be the NCAA.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I never said her claim was implausible. But if she's making a claim, she bears the burden of proof, not me.

Just because no one formally asked "why Notre Dame" or formally asked for interviews Notre Dame folks doesn't prove anything about whether the destination school was a factor in the process. Unless she can **prove** that the people considering her request were unaware of which school she had transferred to, she hasn't proven anything. Only stated her belief. Her belief may be a plausible one, but it hasn't been proven.
Unless you have some concrete evidence to think Notre Dame mattered (and I haven't heard any), deciding to think much less of Shepard (your original conclusion) simply for asserting what she found was relevant and not relevant to her waiver application process - in her first-hand experience - seems unreasonable to me. I can't disprove that Beyonce didn't call the NCAA and ask for them to grant Shepard's waiver, but unless someone furnishes evidence that Beyonce did, the need for Shepard to offer evidence to disprove that Beyonce's involvement seems totally bizarre to me. How can she disprove the existence of any and all manner of black swans?

ETA: A moderator seems to have edited out my non-partisan reference to a politician in a geographically-relevant hypothetical, but the omission completely obliterated the point I was trying to make, so hopefully this time it can stay...?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No I don't think she would start at the wing over senior Megan Walker nor 6'3" freshman Aaliyah Edwards.
Evina through HS, AAU and at TN was a combo guard. Playing on the wing would required her to switch position and she would have to improve her perimeter defense drastically.
Good comment. Except Gabby Williams was a guard in hs and played under the basket at UConn. I trust that Geno will figure out how to best use her skills.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Good comment. Except Gabby Williams was a guard in hs and played under the basket at UConn. I trust that Geno will figure out how to best use her skills.
However Geno has said pretty clearly that he doesn't really have a grasp of what her skills are because of her injury. He's also said he hadn't been treating her completely as if she was part of this years squad because of the waiver situation.

Reaction Score
I think they should just play her. Every game. When they take away all their wins, UConn will be the first 0-29 team to get an at large bid:p

Reaction Score
Does this mean Evina has to hide out in the locker room during tomorrow's exhibition? Or can she at least sit on the side with her team?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Does this mean Evina has to hide out in the locker room during tomorrow's exhibition? Or can she at least sit on the side with her team?

She’ll be on the bench in street clothes. Same thing for all the home games, but she won’t be able to travel with the team to away games until she’s deemed eligible to play.

Reaction Score
Good luck. I hope you're not a lawyer.
No, that’s why I ran it by a Harvard Contracts attorney who said if you took it to a judge he or she would view a scholarship offer a contract and all you would need is standing and UConn would have standing.

Reaction Score
I can't disprove that Beyonce didn't call the NCAA and ask for them to grant Shepard's waiver, but unless someone furnishes evidence that Beyonce did, the need for Shepard to offer evidence to disprove that Beyonce's involvement seems totally bizarre to me. How can she disprove the existence of any and all manner of black swans?

ETA: A moderator seems to have edited out my non-partisan reference to a politician in a geographically-relevant hypothetical, but the omission completely obliterated the point I was trying to make, so hopefully this time it can stay...?
OK that’s it! Does Jack Zergiotis owe anyone here a solid? If so we just ask Beyoncé to call the NCAA on Westbrook’s behalf, and we’re in!

Reaction Score
She’ll be on the bench in street clothes. Same thing for all the home games, but she won’t be able to travel with the team to away games until she’s deemed eligible to play.
Or pays her own way

Reaction Score
You are simultaneous lashing out at something Jessica said and ND because of a perceived benefit that the NCAA gave to ND. All of that is misdirected. Your target needs to be the NCAA.
Hey hey now - as a Boneyard member Plebe has the right to lash out at ND and/or any of their present or former players for any reason whatever, at his sole discretion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hey hey now - as a Boneyard member Plebe has the right to lash out at ND and/or any of their present or former players for any reason whatever, at his sole discretion.
You are right!
1572743168302.png

Reaction Score
Is anyone aware if Azura Stevens case was appealed ?
Evina’s waiver request was UConn’s first. I read that they hadn’t requested one before as they didn’t feel that Stevens and Camara’s reasons for transfer warranted one.

Reaction Score
Incidentally, I looked for the transfer waiver form and couldn't find it on a quick google, but I did find the description of the process, and the key question is whether the transfer was necessitated by "documented mitigating circumstances outside the student-athlete's control."

I would not be shocked if in EW's situation, given that she and her family members were dousing kerosine on the fan fire at times, and that EW essentially called for Holly to be fired days before she was, that any argument that she had to transfer because of fan hostility or the coaching change would not be considered "mitigating circumstances outside the student-athlete's control."

Now, whether or not that's a good reason is totally worth questioning. But I based on the brief description of the criteria I don't think EW has an open-and-shut case based on what I have heard about her reasons for transferring.
Just going to ignore that she played (just bad doctors? or bad coaches too?) with an injury that needed surgery when she got to UConn?

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Just going to ignore that she played (just bad doctors? or bad coaches too?) with an injury that needed surgery when she got to UConn?
Not ignoring it, but noting that one reason folks here are saying she should get a waiver doesn't really seem to meet the specified criteria. Without know more about why she played with an injury (which, to be honest, I didn't notice based on her on court performance last season), it's also hard to know if that claim would meet the criteria either. There's a lot of speculation around here and almost no real facts. For example, CD also had surgery this off-season to deal with a nagging injury. Is that the result of Geno ignoring it and forcing her to play? Why do we think the circumstances are different? Just because we like Geno and hate the Vols?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom