Westbrook waiver denied | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Westbrook waiver denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No player who's as good as Azzi is reputed to be is concerned about competing for playing time. Or at least they sure shouldn't be.
I agree. Fudd shouldn’t be worried about Westbrook. In HS Fudd was better as a soph. than Westbrook was as a senior. And after improving for two more years, IMO she’ll still be better.

Reaction Score
There is no player on the planet that will influence Azzi’s decision for playing time. She’s better than them all and she can and, barring seniority, will take their spot. There is a reason she won national player of the year as a sophomore.

But get back on topic before someone gets you together lol

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Today started out nice, but turned out to be the worst day in the last 4 months. We should be celebrating her approval instead of lamenting her denial. Hopefully her appeal will fare better than her waiver request did. Don’t throw the towel in yet. There’s still a chance she can come out on the right side of this thing. Keep hope alive.

Reaction Score
Someone else may have already made this point, but according to Geno, if UConn files their appeal by Tuesday they expect an answer from the NCAA by Wednesday.

Dum spiro spero
(While I breath I hope)

You’re quoting the state motto of South Carolina! In a post about UConn WBB!

I’m new here, but I assume there are rules about this kind of thing ... ;)

Reaction Score
It appears that the NCAA is making it really hard to get any kind of waiver this season. I suspect that they are worried about future lawsuits. They should be because their granting waivers have sounded purely arbitrary. They may even be facing or facing the threat of some sort of suit. Thats usually the case when they end up drawing a clear line.

The fact that they refused Prince's waiver even though she missed all last season due to injuries. In her case it would amount to her losing an entire year because you only get 5 to do four. If they are denying her waiver claim the would certainly deny Westbrooks. At least Westbrook could use her grad year to make it up.

Someone should file a class action suit against them because their actions detrimentally affect players those that want to go professionally negatively. They also denied Kat Tudors waiver for an extra year. She played one game over the max allowed last season before tearing her ACL. She will miss more games than she played last year before she is ready to take the floor. They are basically limiting her to 3 years at max with that last half a year in recovery mode. .

They need to realize that some college sports are not just student-athlete sports but preparation for a professional career. When they limit the on-court experience of players, they are interfering with the necessary opportunity that those players need to farther their future jobs and wages. Especially those who have been limited via injury.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The fact that they refused Prince's waiver even though she missed all last season due to injuries.
No announcement has been made yet on Prince's waiver AFAIK.

Reaction Score
No announcement has been made yet on Prince's waiver AFAIK.
You missed it . It was announced long ago. Oregon stated they would appeal it. The announcement they are waiting on is the appeal.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You missed it . It was announced long ago. Oregon stated they would appeal it. The announcement they are waiting on is the appeal.
Source on the denial of original waiver request?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, she will play the 1!

1. Bueckers
2. Williams
3. Westbrook
4. Walker
5. Nelson-Ododa
I suppose Aaliyah, Anna, Mir and Aubrey will watch and bring the water?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Those of you who have been around since the 1995 know what Tenn fans can be like. Not all Tenn fans but many. We remember how we were treated and how they came over to our board and tried to tear us apart for beating them. We remember when we got EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore and what Tenn did? Gave us a 37 page NCAA violaton that was pretty much thrown out but caused alot of paperwork. I dont doubt for one minute that Tenn did not go into detail on how Westbrook and her family were treated by the fans and others. The venom that some Tenn fans used against UConn was absolutely terrible. Im speaking from experiences. This renewed series which I am totally against and have been, is just a continued hatred towards UConn and a coverup of what some of their fans are like. As far as the appeal goes...well all we can do is hope and hold the NCAA accountable.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One more arbitrary transfer decision by the NCAA. Former KY pg Quade Green was granted immediate eligibility to play for the University of Washington. Green, a redshirt sophomore who hails from the East Coast lost his starting pg spot after being injured as a freshman, returned for his sophomore season despite rumors that he would transfer, ultimately transferring from KY to WA after the fall semester last season.

There was no particular issue with Green at KY other than the fact that he lost his starting job. Green would have been eligible at the start of the Spring Semester at WA. It appears that the NCAA simply decided to make him eligible for the full season because...what the hell? :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Those of you who have been around since the 1995 know what Tenn fans can be like. Not all Tenn fans but many. We remember how we were treated and how they came over to our board and tried to tear us apart for beating them. We remember when we got EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore and what Tenn did? Gave us a 37 page NCAA violaton that was pretty much thrown out but caused alot of paperwork. I dont doubt for one minute that Tenn did not go into detail on how Westbrook and her family were treated by the fans and others. The venom that some Tenn fans used against UConn was absolutely terrible. Im speaking from experiences. This renewed series which I am totally against and have been, is just a continued hatred towards UConn and a coverup of what some of their fans are like. As far as the appeal goes...well all we can do is hope and hold the NCAA accountable.
UCONN can also curb stomp TN on January 23rd. For good measure and GP they can also donkey kick Vandy in 10 days for aiding TN.

Reaction Score
I agree. Fudd shouldn’t be worried about Westbrook. In HS Fudd was better as a soph. than Westbrook was as a senior. And after improving for two more years, IMO she’ll still be better.

You people are crazy if you think a freshman Fudd is going to start over a 5th year Westbrook!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I strongly disagree with the denial of Evina's waver. I am disgusted that supposedly mature adults have carelessly played ping pong with the emotions of an apparently nice young lady. I remember the pain when I was disqualified in my senior year by the CIAC. Her's must be multiplied many times. And also for her there is the question of her professional career. I know that cannot be a issue for the NCAA, but is a factor in the emotions for Evina. I feel for her as a person. I also understand that if the waiver were granted our team would have a better chance of winning the NC. While without her we are hoping for a final four. I wonder if the waiver would be granted if we expected Evina to fill a role similar to Molly. How much does the visibility of the player and the school figure into the decision. Remember the "IS UCONN BAD FOR WOMEN"S BASKETBALL" discussion of a few years ago. Does the NCAA now want to work against a 'dynasty' and do all it can to promote other teams even at the price of this young ladies future career? Does it all come down to the Benjamins?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You people are crazy if you think a freshman Fudd is going to start over a 5th year Westbrook!
Stop with the 'you people" that's a trigger for some. FYI I don't have Paige or Azzi as Freshman (day 1) starters for UCONN.

20-21 Season Starters
PNelson-Ododa
FAliyah Edwards
SFWalker
SGC. Williams
PGEvina Westbrook

21-22
PNelson-Ododa
FAliyah Edwards
SFAnna Murkat
SGC. Williams
PGBueckers

Reaction Score
Stop with the 'you people" that's a trigger for some. FYI I don't have Paige or Azzi as Freshman (day 1) starters for UCONN.

20-21 Season Starters
PNelson-Ododa
FAliyah Edwards
SFWalker
SGC. Williams
PGEvina Westbrook

21-22
PNelson-Ododa
FAliyah Edwards
SFAnna Murkat
SGC. Williams
PGBueckers

So why are you arguing with me, when I had virtually the same starting lineup? As far as "you people" being a trigger to some, I don't care! You obviously know what I meant! Why don't we just take things in the proper context and stop looking for reasons to be outraged, or triggered, or whatever new millennial term there is?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So why are you arguing with me, when I had virtually the same starting lineup? As far as "you people" being a trigger to some, I don't care! You obviously know what I meant!
I care very much that you don't seem to care about offending someone. I think we are done here!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Te'a Cooper was denied her waiver to SC and her appeal was denied as well . The whole bad treatment at UT is false news. She dug her own grave with her comments during the NCAA tourney. No player should ever voice there opinion on that stage even if they are 100% factually correct.
So you said that you think that the NCAA retaliated against a player for speaking up? Interesting take.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So current NCAA president Mark Emmert was an ex UConn official?

Yes. He rode out of town before the posse caught up with his mismanagement. If you read the article I’d like to see it was a pattern with him. He was broadly criticized by Connecticut officials and cost to score $100 million with his mismanagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom