Westbrook waiver denied | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Westbrook waiver denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To be fair, UConn only submitted the waiver request in early October. Maybe someone needs to ask Geno why they waited several months. I bash the NCAA on the reg, but making a decision on a waiver request in 3-4 weeks is pretty good and above and beyond my expectations even if I dislike the outcome.
I'm also troubled by the thought that a successful UCONN waiver was dependent on TN being "helpful".
1572654489999.png

Reaction Score
To be fair, UConn only submitted the waiver request in early October. Maybe someone needs to ask Geno why they waited several months. I bash the NCAA on the reg, but making a decision on a waiver request in 3-4 weeks is pretty good and above and beyond my expectations even if I dislike the outcome.
To be fair, we don’t know why it was submitted when it was. It required input from the person and both schools.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have to believe this was a tactical decision to request it this late. Maybe he knew Evina wouldn't be ready to take the court in early November anyway due to her injury. There might have been other tactical considerations in waiting to submit the request.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I view this a little differently. I believe a healthy Evina would have earned the starting wing spot this year over Ania and/or Aubrey. If she is forced to sit out this season, Ania and Aubrey will have a distinct advantage with one of them, likely Ania, earning the starting spot.

Next year, 4 starters return with one open spot at pg. While Evina played some pg at TN, she is far more effective as a 2 or 3 imo. I believe Paige starts at pg next season no matter who’s on the team. That would then relegate Evina to a 6th or 7th man role unless she can beat out Ania, Aubrey and 2 talented freshmen as the starting wing.

I am not sure I follow. My main focus was the affect on recruiting Azzi. Your response does nor address this at all so does this imply you do not see Azzi coming? Is Azzi so good that she would not care one iota who is on the team, she would beat them out? Would she feel no need to start as a freshman and happily com of the bench?

On the other hand, I think we are in general agreement with Evina that pushing her eligibility back effectively locks her out of a starting position and that would greatly affect her pro aspirations. (and her situation is not Kia Stokes)

Reaction Score
Pretty Pathetic If You Ask Me.
NCAA is Pretty Pathetic.
A link to social media outlet to voice our
outrage with the NCAA?

Reaction Score
Te'a Cooper was denied her waiver to SC and her appeal was denied as well . The whole bad treatment at UT is false news. She dug her own grave with her comments during the NCAA tourney. No player should ever voice there opinion on that stage even if they are 100% factually correct.
Wow just wow couldn’t disagree more

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am not sure I follow. My main focus was the affect on recruiting Azzi. Your response does nor address this at all so does this imply you do not see Azzi coming? Is Azzi so good that she would not care one iota who is on the team, she would beat them out? Would she feel no need to start as a freshman and happily com of the bench?

On the other hand, I think we are in general agreement with Evina that pushing her eligibility back effectively locks her out of a starting position and that would greatly affect her pro aspirations. (and her situation is not Kia Stokes)
If she comes, I view Azzi as a likely replacement for Christyn. They would overlap by one year. If Azzi is as good as we all think, she would settle into a starting roll as a sophomore with her bff in UConn's starting backcourt.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If she comes, I view Azzi as a likely replacement for Christyn. They would overlap by one year. If Azzi is as good as we all think, she would settle into a starting roll as a sophomore with her bff in UConn's starting backcourt.

Sounds a bit rosier. Walking away from the edge.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Two tweets that tell us absolutely nothing.

Shepard's tweet was in response to the first and wouldn't post separately. I just thought it's interesting that she's opining on the situation. And it wasn't her only one on the topic.

Reaction Score

There is ZERO chance that Westbrook doesn't start next year, ZERO!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More chaos than the current inconsistent system?

Things would be cut and dried at least, but you could have X number of players moving every year for whatever reason. Might make pro sports free agency look quaint.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Things would be cut and dried at least, but you could have X number of players moving every year for whatever reason. Might make pro sports free agency look quaint.
Think of the flip (coaching) side of the equation. Coaches invest exclusively in the kids you know are going to stay could lead to more stability.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is room for Evina, Christyn, Paige, and Azzi. If Evina's appeal is denied, I don't think it will have any bearing on Azzi's decision. It may reduce her PT as a freshman, but it won't cause her to go elsewhere. If she gets reduced PT, challenging Maya's 3,036 point total will be harder. :)

We need Evina more this season than in 2021-22. We could use her in any year, but especially this year. My concern has been that Evina will want to leave with her good friend Megan. We saw Azura leave prematurely. I think Evina really needs 2 years of playing at UConn to fully develop and prepare herself for the W. Her statement that she wants to be a top 3 pick may keep her at UConn for 2 years beyond this year. My fingers are crossed. The NCAA waiver denial makes no sense.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There is room for Evina, Christyn, Paige, and Azzi. If Evina's appeal is denied, I don't think it will have any bearing on Azzi's decision. It may reduce her PT as a freshman, but it won't cause her to go elsewhere. If she gets reduced PT, challenging Maya's 3,036 point total will be harder. :)

We need Evina more this season than in 2021-22. We could use her in any year, but especially this year. My concern has been that Evina will want to leave with her good friend Megan. We saw Azura leave prematurely. I think Evina really needs 2 years of playing at UConn to fully develop and prepare herself for the W. Her statement that she wants to be a top 3 pick may keep her at UConn for 2 years beyond this year. My fingers are crossed. The NCAA waiver denial makes no sense.
No player who's as good as Azzi is reputed to be is concerned about competing for playing time. Or at least they sure shouldn't be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No player who's as good as Azzi is reputed to be is concerned about competing for playing time. Or at least they sure shouldn't be.
Exactly. And she is as good as she is reputed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom