We're # 1!!!! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We're # 1!!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
These strength of schedule rankings seem way off to me. UConn has the 3rd highest? Really? Maybe from start to finish but through these first 9 games. I honestly don't know about this quandrant stuff. I think it should be more of a trine. Because quadrant 3 and 4 are basically all cupcakes to anyone not a cupcake.
It feels that way probably because UConn has only played one top 25 team, but UConn's SOS is buoyed by the fact that they've played only one team outside the top 100 (#127 Dayton). Virtually all the other top teams have played multiple opponents outside the top 150, which can drag down the SOS rating severely.

Reaction Score
It feels that way probably because UConn has only played one top 25 team, but UConn's SOS is buoyed by the fact that they've played only one team outside the top 100 (#127 Dayton). Virtually all the other top teams have played multiple opponents outside the top 150, which can drag down the SOS rating severely.
UConn has also showing 4 quandrant 1's though because it goes all the way to top 50. And that is my point. Some teams are getting too much credit for not only playing against weak quadrant 1's and also too much credit that cupacakes are quadrant 2 and 3, instead of 4 when they are still in fact cupcakes either way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UConn has also showing 4 quandrant 1's though because it goes all the way to top 50. And that is my point. Some teams are getting too much credit for not only playing against weak quadrant 1's and also too much credit that cupacakes are quadrant 2 and 3, instead of 4 when they are still in fact cupcakes either way.
Those quadrant designations aren't used to calculate SOS; they're only to define the columns of the team sheet. Strength of schedule per RPI (as shown on Nolan's site) is just a function of opponents' winning percentage and their opponents' WP.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
FWIW, Sammy is a Rutgers fan and long time Boneyarder, back to the old Big East days. He has no pony in this race
I was just making a general statement that fit in with what he was saying.....I am not sure what you even mean by your statement.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was just making a general statement that fit in with what he was saying.....I am not sure what you even mean by your statement.
Just trying to head off another bout of OSU fans’ indignantionat UConn fans

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess we are not #1. ;)

Have at it boys (Creme and Hays).

Husky fans should be thankful that Creme & Hays continue to furnish UConn WBB with bulletin board material. Let’s hope the doubters persist right up to the National Championship game...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Husky fans should be thankful that Creme & Hays continue to furnish UConn WBB the boneyard with bulletin board material. Let’s hope the doubters persist right up to the National Championship game...

fixed
;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess we are not #1. ;)

Have at it boys (Creme and Hays).

It's a very respectable argument they make. This #1 is pretty shaky to me. I do find it strange that we got more 1st place votes in the coaches poll than the AP. This team will be tested by 3 of 4 OOC contests. Let's hope they continue to jell on offense and defense.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That is totally ridiculous! UConn’s SOS on Massey is 2nd and OSU’s is 44th! Do these people really get paid for their work?!
What's worse is not only was the DePaul game AT Oregon State (vs. UConn AT DePaul), virtually ALL of the Beavers games were at home or a neutral site. Beating an overrated Miami who is not in the polls anymore does not and should not carry much weight. But then again, that would require, research, thought and logic on these writers. While many claim this is all irrelevant, actually, the narrative does matter in the consciousness of all the voters and will have an effect on the seeding come selection time. I will defer to @Plebe for his perspective on the RPI effect of the schedule visa vi the seeding as I am not as convinced that the committee uses complete logic on seeding or team selection as one would, could or should. I just know that if a head to head matchup were to occur with OSU, either there, here or neutral site, our scoring would outperform the Beavers. While Slocum once played well against us at Maryland, my only concern would be Tudor and her outside shot. Slocum is not the same player we saw. She's still good but not elite. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But.....But.....as Geno said (with his tongue firmly planted in his teeth), we beat the team, that beat the team, that beat the #1 team in the nation, that beat the US National Team.

Doesn’t that make UConn #1? :cool:

Reaction Score
Once again, Oregon State supporters are happy that their program is included in the national conversation. Upcoming matchups with Oregon (twice) and Stanford in January are of much more significance to OSU fans than where ESPNW writers believe that the Beavers should be ranked during December 2019.

The Beavers won all three of the tourneys in which they have played this season. I would be very surprised if UConn would have stumbled against any of those eight opponents that OSU faced in those tourneys. The other four opponents that OSU faced or will face (on December 29) would be very unlikely for UConn to schedule based upon their geographic locations and historically low RPIs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's worse is not only was the DePaul game AT Oregon State (vs. UConn AT DePaul), virtually ALL of the Beavers games were at home or a neutral site. Beating an overrated Miami who is not in the polls anymore does not and should not carry much weight. But then again, that would require, research, thought and logic on these writers. While many claim this is all irrelevant, actually, the narrative does matter in the consciousness of all the voters and will have an effect on the seeding come selection time. I will defer to @Plebe for his perspective on the RPI effect of the schedule visa vi the seeding as I am not as convinced that the committee uses complete logic on seeding or team selection as one would, could or should. I just know that if a head to head matchup were to occur with OSU, either there, here or neutral site, our scoring would outperform the Beavers. While Slocum once played well against us at Maryland, my only concern would be Tudor and her outside shot. Slocum is not the same player we saw. She's still good but not elite. :)
Thanks @eebmg for posting the ESPN article. I think Graham Hays said it best: " There's no right answer at the moment.". @DefenseBB, I agree with you that winning on the road is much more difficult. @DefenseBB, Destiny Slocum is playing at an elite level this season. I've been at every home game this season, and, Destiny has improved dramatically after 1-year in the OSU system (including Destiny's defense). I think it would be wonderful if OSU & UConn end up in the same bracket this season. No doubt, it would be a fantastic game should it come about that they face off in NCAA Playoffs.

Reaction Score
Thanks @eebmg for posting the ESPN article. I think Graham Hays said it best: " There's no right answer at the moment.". @DefenseBB, I agree with you that winning on the road is much more difficult. @DefenseBB, Destiny Slocum is playing at an elite level this season. I've been at every home game this season, and, Destiny has improved dramatically after 1-year in the OSU system (including Destiny's defense). I think it would be wonderful if OSU & UConn end up in the same bracket this season. No doubt, it would be a fantastic game should it come about that they face off in NCAA Playoffs.
Slocum is playing and shooting much better this season than she did during her first two years of college, including her frosh year at Maryland. She is a capable three-point shooter and was shooting better than 50/40/80 from the three distances prior to a poor shooting percentage in Oregon State's most recent game against BYU. Slocum is often positioned on a wing while Goodman runs the offense as the point guard, at least during the nonconference season to date.

Reaction Score
Slocum is playing and shooting much better this season than she did during her first two years of college, including her frosh year at Maryland. She is a capable three-point shooter and was shooting better than 50/40/80 from the three distances prior to a poor shooting percentage in Oregon State's most recent game against BYU. Slocum is often positioned on a wing while Goodman runs the offense as the point guard, at least during the nonconference season to date.
What is making OSU difficult to guard this year, is Rueck often plays Goodman, Slocum, and Pivec at the point during the same game. Each of them present different challenges for the defense when playing the point. It is a real luxury for Rueck.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The debate over where both teams stand in late December will be rendered moot by whatever transpires in the next 10 weeks. OSU's and UConn's wins here in November and December aren't meaningless, but both have the vast bulk of their heavy lifting awaiting them in January and February.

Oregon State's OOC featured 3 opponents in the Massey top 100: DePaul (13), Missouri State (23) and Miami (47). That's really small peanuts compared to the Beavers' Pac-12 schedule, which includes:
  • 18 games against the top 100 (the lowest-ranked is Utah at #90);
  • 14 games against the top 50; and
  • 6 games against the top 10.
And of course that's not including the Pac-12 tournament. If Oregon State simply splits its series with Oregon, Stanford and UCLA, they'll likely be in a pretty good seeding position.

UConn, meanwhile, has played 9 of its 10 games thus far against top-100 teams, but the road win at DePaul figures to be the only top-25 win among those. Because the AAC may not have a single other top-50 team, UConn has most of its resume eggs in a much smaller basket -- namely, the 3 games against top-10 teams Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina.

UConn can, IMO, wrap up a #1 seed by winning 2 of those 3 marquee games (barring other unexpected losses); win 1 out of 3 and it'll be very much up for debate. Win 0 out of 3 and it might not be pretty.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve often felt that Slocum’s challenges at MD and during her 1st year at OSU related to the fact that she was a natural shooting guard who was being asked to run the point. If Rueck has her playing off the ball, looking for opportunities to receive the ball in the flow of the offense and score, Slocum should be a much more efficient player.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The debate over where both teams stand in late December will be rendered moot by whatever transpires in the next 10 weeks. OSU's and UConn's wins here in November and December aren't meaningless, but both have the vast bulk of their heavy lifting awaiting them in January and February.

Oregon State's OOC featured 3 opponents in the Massey top 100: DePaul (13), Missouri State (23) and Miami (47). That's really small peanuts compared to the Beavers' Pac-12 schedule, which includes:
  • 18 games against the top 100 (the lowest-ranked is Utah at #90);
  • 14 games against the top 50; and
  • 6 games against the top 10.
And of course that's not including the Pac-12 tournament. If Oregon State simply splits its series with Oregon, Stanford and UCLA, they'll likely be in a pretty good seeding position.

UConn, meanwhile, has played 9 of its 10 games thus far against top-100 teams, but the road win at DePaul figures to be the only top-25 win among those. Because the AAC may not have a single other top-50 team, UConn has most of its resume eggs in a much smaller basket -- namely, the 3 games against top-10 teams Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina.

UConn can, IMO, wrap up a #1 seed by winning 2 of those 3 marquee games (barring other unexpected losses); win 1 out of 3 and it'll be very much up for debate. Win 0 out of 3 and it might not be pretty.

Kind of like what happened to UConn last year (Though the OOC schedule overall had more top 25 games). UConn had three marquee games last year (4 if you include SC). ND, Baylor, Louisville. UConn went 1-2 (2-2 if you count SC) and got a #2 seed. Assuming a win against Tennessee (which I feel comfortable about right now); agree with all of Plebe's scenarios above about where UConn falls on the 1/2 line.

Reaction Score
I’ve often felt that Slocum’s challenges at MD and during her 1st year at OSU related to the fact that she was a natural shooting guard who was being asked to run the point. If Rueck has her playing off the ball, looking for opportunities to receive the ball in the flow of the offense and score, Slocum should be a much more efficient player.
If Slocum is to be successful at the next level, it will have to be as a 5'7" point guard. Playing off the ball cuts down on the potential for her turnovers and the team's offense runs a lot of plays for her. So, I would agree that her efficiency has improved. I believe that all three starting guards for Oregon State average 5+ assists per game and have shared time running the point this season. You don't see that happen very often at any level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Slocum is to be successful at the next level, it will have to be as a 5'7" point guard. Playing off the ball cuts down on the potential for her turnovers and the team's offense runs a lot of plays for her. So, I would agree that her efficiency has improved. I believe that all three starting guards for Oregon State average 5+ assists per game and have shared time running the point this season. You don't see that happen very often at any level.
The best teams don’t really try to initiate their offense through just one player. Three years ago, when UConn set the NCAA single season assist record with 863 in only 37 games, if there was a starting pg, I guess it would have been Saniya Chong. But she was one of 5 players with 100+ assists and her total was considerably behind the 190 assists of Gabby Williams, who generally played as the 5 in UConn’s offense.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...UConn can, IMO, wrap up a #1 seed by winning 2 of those 3 marquee games (barring other unexpected losses); win 1 out of 3 and it'll be very much up for debate. Win 0 out of 3 and it might not be pretty.
For shame on you Plebe for uttering such heresy and just 2 days after Christmas? For shame, I say, for shame! :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom