We're # 1!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We're # 1!!!!

Reaction Score
That’s absolutely not what I meant. I think they would perform better if they are the underdog. Going into the season’s end #1 with undefeated records for the past few final fours, they’ve played not to lose rather than played to win. They are timid and scared and I think being number 1 brings that type or pressure. That 2012 class could handle that with ease. I think if you’re ranked lower going into marquee matchups it makes you play a little more loose like you have nothing to lose. Being number 1 and undefeated I’m not sure that’s something this squad could handle. I’ve been positive all season about UConn Wbb; don’t come for me boo!

Wasn't coming for you (and definitely the first time I've been called "boo"). And while I appreciate your clarification, I still don't see it. In the 2017 and 2018 seasons they had lots of games as #1 and won all but two of them. Frankly, once you get into the Final Four, being ranked #1 doesn't add any pressure, playing for the championship on the biggest stage is pressure enough. I understand your point of view, but I don't share it.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Nice article by Anthony on what number is important and it is not a #1 in December. Hint. Liv.

Also, here is a blurb by Meg explaining exactly what it takes to be successful at UConn. This is why some players play and grow and excel and some (hopefully few) do not

“She’s more confident,” UConn junior Megan Walker said of Nelson-Ododa. “I’ve been in her shoes. I just really try to encourage her, let her know she’s doing great and that we need her and that, these performances, she can do every night. She’s gained a little bit of muscle. But playing here, I don’t feel like it’s physical. I feel like it’s mental. And she’s doing a great job of having a year under her belt and becoming a smarter player.”

Mike Anthony and the articles interviewees have it exactly right. IMO this #1 ranking is relatively meaningless in the grand scheme. I'd actually prefer being ranked lowerfor "chip on our shoulder reasons". The only #1 that counts is after the last game of the NCAA Tourny.

Reaction Score
Michelle Smith tweeted she's voting Oregon ST #1 due to Oregon ST's better schedule today. Mechelle Voepelle liked it, so I presume she's of the same mindset.

Megan Gauer and Mechelle Voepel liked

Michelle Smith
@macsmith413

·
7h

Just putting it out there.
@BeaverWBB
getting my vote for No. 1. Three double-digits wins over ranked teams. Beat DePaul by 21. UConn beat them by 10, for lone win over ranked team. Obviously toughest part of Huskies sked to come. But Beavers have better resume today.

Michelle Smith is from the Left Coast :)

R
That is totally ridiculous! UConn’s SOS on Massey is 2nd and OSU’s is 44th! Do these people really get paid for their work?!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That is totally ridiculous! UConn’s SOS on Massey is 2nd and OSU’s is 44th! Do these people really get paid for their work?!

SMH............................:confused:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
SOS/RPI for top 10 teams is meaningless really - just means their cupcakes were really dreadful. For top ten teams what matters is how they perform against the other top 10 teams (and whether they have played any of them.)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Let's see, UConn is ranked #2, OSU is ranked #3. The Number 1 team loses, so then the #3 team leap frogs over the #2 team? How does that make any sense? It implies the previous rankings were fraudulent.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Poll Standing.

1. UConn 2. Oregon 3. Oregon State 4. South Carolina 5. Stanford 6. Baylor 7. Louisville 8. Florida State 9. NC State 10. UCLA

or those wondering about the first-place voting breakdown (per AP)... it wasn't particularly close: -UConn: 19 -Oregon: 5 -OSU: 4 -South Carolina: 1

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SOS/RPI for top 10 teams is meaningless really - just means their cupcakes were really dreadful. For top ten teams what matters is how they perform against the other top 10 teams (and whether they have played any of them.)

I agree with you but every year I read only about UConn's weak AAC opponents and that it's top 50 wins that matter. It seems like some opinions are massaged around whatever standard best suits the bias of the opinion. And that also applies to the NCAA selection committee.
Even those arguing for top 10 wins show their bias. If a team was ranked 9th in November and is currently No 21 the "top ten opponent" argument is still made. That's why I prefer a flawed but consistent measuring stick like Massey. At least their standard remains constant.

Reaction Score
I see Texas got rewarded with their HUGE win. They are #25 even though they have 4 losses.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That’s absolutely not what I meant. I think they would perform better if they are the underdog. Going into the season’s end #1 with undefeated records for the past few final fours, they’ve played not to lose rather than played to win. They are timid and scared and I think being number 1 brings that type or pressure. That 2012 class could handle that with ease. I think if you’re ranked lower going into marquee matchups it makes you play a little more loose like you have nothing to lose. Being number 1 and undefeated I’m not sure that’s something this squad could handle. I’ve been positive all season about UConn Wbb; don’t come for me boo!

laughing.gif
Might be a Boneyard first

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Both teams played DePaul. OSU has a couple of wins versus teams in the lower Top 25. I don't see any for UConn. I think that makes Massey's number suspect.

Reaction Score
They "cherry pick" data to fit their perspective...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has been inconsistent. However, UConn has played a Far tougher schedule then other teams and maybe that's the reason for the Inconsistency. UConn doesn't have any Teams with a Sub 150 RPI on their OOC Schedule. Based on Eye Test, perhaps UConn shouldn't be #1. However based on Strength of Schedule for all of their OOC Opponents they should be #1. Who's to say that UConn wouldn't have beaten the Ranked teams that Oregon, Oregon St and So. Carolina have beaten.

UConn shouldn't be number one. Too inconsistent.

Reaction Score
Both teams played DePaul. OSU has a couple of wins versus teams in the lower Top 25. I don't see any for UConn. I think that makes Massey's number suspect.

Massey uses a team's entire record. It does give added weight to high quality opponents. I think it's revealing that those who, in late February will point to UConn's weak conference, are, at this point in time, ignoring the cupcakes that their P5 teams have played up till now.
All ratings are suspect relative to the standard used.

UConn shouldn't be number one. Too inconsistent.

There is a lot of inconsistency all over top 10. UConn has so far has shown fairly consistent improvement. Any inconsistency has been on a much larger scale, a comparison of this year's performance with past UConn teams. Compare this year's Oregon, Baylor, Oregon St, Louisville, Stanford with the Stewart era UConn teams and you'll see what I mean.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: Parity. UConn will remain #1 through the holiday. On January 10, UConn may not be #1. Don't think it matters. When NCAA playoffs come, there will be little difference between #1 and #2 seeds.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The thread title looks much more distinguished without the all caps. I'm not sure the quadruple exclamation mark was necessary, but I'll take the improvement :)

Reaction Score
I love to copy and paste stats from WarrenNolan.com...and even color code them for your viewing enjoyment. Through 10 games UConn has only played at their true home venues 3 times, 6 times away and yesterday's game at the "neutral" arena. The other 9 teams it's almost a 180 flip, most of their games were at home. Looking at the Q1 through Q4, yeah, UConn has not played a top 10 team yet but they also have not played a Q4 team either...that has to be worth something and only one Q3 team in these last ten games. So, what does this all mean, UConn only enjoyed 1 cupcake while the rest in this list feasted on them Q3 and Q4 teams. :rolleyes:

1577129615586.png

Reaction Score
For Duke and for Mississippi State, not for UCONN
You're right because UConn has really kicked South Carolina's butt, even when playing in South Carolina ... that could change but up until now, UConn has throttled them ....

Reaction Score
Michelle Smith tweeted she's voting Oregon ST #1 due to Oregon ST's better schedule today. Mechelle Voepelle liked it, so I presume she's of the same mindset.

Megan Gauer and Mechelle Voepel liked

Michelle Smith
@macsmith413

·
7h

Just putting it out there.
@BeaverWBB
getting my vote for No. 1. Three double-digits wins over ranked teams. Beat DePaul by 21. UConn beat them by 10, for lone win over ranked team. Obviously toughest part of Huskies sked to come. But Beavers have better resume today.

Michelle Smith is from the Left Coast :)

R

Smith shows her bias by conveniently forgetting to mention that OSU won at home while UConn won in Chicago. Don't let truth distract you Michele. And don't worry about using one game to compare teams' schedules. LOL

As far as the ESPN cartel, they went all in on the PAC12 around Halloween and they'll defend themselves as expected. The one thing they haven't expected has been the speed at which UConn has improved. Surprises me too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love to copy and paste stats from WarrenNolan.com...and even color code them for your viewing enjoyment. Through 10 games UConn has only played at their true home venues 3 times, 6 times away and yesterday's game at the "neutral" arena. The other 9 teams it's almost a 180 flip, most of their games were at home. Looking at the Q1 through Q4, yeah, UConn has not played a top 10 team yet but they also have not played a Q4 team either...that has to be worth something and only one Q3 team in these last ten games. So, what does this all mean, UConn only enjoyed 1 cupcake while the rest in this list feasted on them Q3 and Q4 teams. :rolleyes:

View attachment 49380
Great stats, particularly with all the people even on the Boneyard saying that UConn hasn't really played anyone yet .... they obviously are not alone, are they????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom