We're # 1!!!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We're # 1!!!!

Reaction Score
That is totally ridiculous! UConn’s SOS on Massey is 2nd and OSU’s is 44th! Do these people really get paid for their work?!

Actually they get paid to produce clicks. Sad but true.

Reaction Score
Smith shows her bias by conveniently forgetting to mention that OSU won at home while UConn won in Chicago. Don't let truth distract you Michele. And don't worry about using one game to compare teams' schedules. LOL

As far as the ESPN cartel, they went all in on the PAC12 around Halloween and they'll defend themselves as expected. The one thing they haven't expected has been the

C'mon @Alydar don't keep us hanging here, finish your sentence. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Haven’t read this whole thread, so forgive me if someone has already posted Chris Dailey’s views on being #1 in the recent AP poll.

"I don't know that we're the No. 1 team in the country," Dailey said. "I haven't seen enough of a lot of people. But I've known our team when we have been No. 1. This team isn't there yet. We're not really worried about No. 1 now. What we want to do is give ourselves the best chance to be in position in March."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that we will have a true reading of ourselves following the Baylor game. At this point I'm not sure that even Geno or Cris know exactly where we stack up against the Baylor's or Oregon's. The only real way to determine it will be the final score.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
It's been a weird year in that there have not been many "marquee" matchups thus far. You've had a couple teams in the top 10 notch a marquee win (that is, against another team in the Top 10) and then follow it up with a loss to an (at the time) unranked team.

Louisville beat Oregon, then went on to lose to Ohio State.
Stanford beat Miss State, then just lost to Texas.

SC has, in many ways, notched the most impressive wins: Maryland, Baylor (without Cox, but still), South Dakota, with their lone loss to top 20 Indiana. [Updated] Oregon St and Florida St, both undefeated, are close runner ups--Oregon St has beaten DePaul, Missouri State, and Miami, and FSU beat Texas A&M, Michigan, and Michigan St.

Meanwhile, UConn and Baylor have only one win over a top 25 opponent. Oregon actually has none (though Syracuse was ranked when they beat them). NC State has a win over MD and Texas (which now looks more impressive).

Conference play will correct this matchup deficiency soon enough: top 10 Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA will also play each other. So will the ACC's Florida St, NC State and Louisville. SC will have to get through Texas A&M, Kentucky, Mississippi St, Arkansas and Tennessee.

And of course, UConn's best games are all backloaded: Baylor, Tennessee, South Carolina, Oregon.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's been a weird year in that there have not been many "marquee" matchups thus far. You've had a couple teams in the top 10 notch a marquee top 10 win (that is, against another team in the Top 10) and then follow it up with a loss to (at the time) unranked team.

SC has, in many ways, notched the most impressive wins: Maryland, Baylor (without Cox, but still), South Dakota, with their lonely loss to top 20 Indiana. Florida St is a close runner up--they're undefeated and beat Texas A&M, Michigan, and Michigan St.

Meanwhile, UConn, Oregon St, Baylor have only one win over a top 25 opponent. Oregon actually has none (though Syracuse was ranked when they beat them). NC State has a win over MD and Texas (which now looks more impressive).

Conference play will correct this matchup deficiency soon enough: top 10 Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA will also play each other. So will the ACC's Florida St, NC State and Louisville. SC will have to get through Texas A&M, Kentucky, Mississippi St, Arkansas and Tennessee.

And of course, UConn's best games are all backloaded: Baylor, Tennessee, South Carolina, Oregon.
And a stewie playing US team for the fun of it. I cant wait to see what liv does in that one

Reaction Score
Let’s check back in March. This is fun but....

Reaction Score
C'mon @Alydar don't keep us hanging here, finish your sentence. :rolleyes:

LOL Not intentional but nice to see someone is reading.

The one thing they haven't expected has been the speed at which UConn has improved. Surprises me too.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I believe the last season that UConn was not ranked #1 at some time during the season is 2011/12. Maya had graduated in the 2010/11 Season. The 2012/13 was Breanna, Morgan and Moriah's Freshmen Year. That's an amazing accomplishment. Didn't think this years team once it was decided that Westbrook would not play, would be Ranked #1 at any time this season.

Reaction Score
It's been a weird year in that there have not been many "marquee" matchups thus far. You've had a couple teams in the top 10 notch a marquee win (that is, against another team in the Top 10) and then follow it up with a loss to an (at the time) unranked team.

SC has, in many ways, notched the most impressive wins: Maryland, Baylor (without Cox, but still), South Dakota, with their lone loss to top 20 Indiana. Florida St is a close runner up--they're undefeated and beat Texas A&M, Michigan, and Michigan St.

Meanwhile, UConn, Oregon St, Baylor have only one win over a top 25 opponent. Oregon actually has none (though Syracuse was ranked when they beat them). NC State has a win over MD and Texas (which now looks more impressive).

Oregon State has wins over 3 teams in the top 25: Miami, Missouri State, and DePaul.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oregon State has wins over 3 teams in the top 25: Miami, Missouri State, and DePaul.
It's really a joke that Miami is still in the top 25.

Reaction Score
It's really a joke that Miami is still in the top 25.
Agreed. There are a few other rankings that I can't wrap my head around. Just correcting the "facts".

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, UConn, Oregon St, Baylor have only one win over a top 25 opponent.
Pretty poor research on Oregon State. How about 3 wins against top 25: Numbers 16, 21, and 24.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

SC has, in many ways, notched the most impressive wins: Maryland, Baylor (without Cox, but still), South Dakota, with their lone loss to top 20 Indiana. Florida St is a close runner up--they're undefeated and beat Texas A&M, Michigan, and Michigan St.

I watched the Indiana loss for South Carolina and that game was called way too close. Boston got in foul trouble out of the gate and many of the starters were in foul trouble throughout the game. I don't think Indiana could beat South Carolina again. They seemed to be playing against the refs and took a too cautious approach the rest of the game. I don't think they are underrated at 4...but they should be 13-0....if it had been played without the tight calls.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What about the Rest of your Schedule? Pacific, Southern Utah, Liberty, Hawaii, Utah St, Northern Ariz, BYU (not bad) and still to play CSU Bakersfield. Is that a schedule for a team that deserves a #1 Ranking? I don't think so. Do you believe that UConn wouldn't have won games against Ranked Miami and Mizz St? Both teams beat DePaul. If the DePaul game was played at Storrs, I suspect the Margin of Victory would have been larger. Do I think that Oregon ST beats the teams that UConn has played probably. Instead your team scheduled games against teams with Sub 200 RPI. UConn's highest RPI Team was Dayton, a quality Mid Majors most years.

It cracks me up to see the PAC 12 Brag on Arizona and Colorado still being Undefeated. Talk about Pathetic OOC Schedule. Both teams will end up as Frauds, once they get into conference play.

Oregon St has a significant size advantage over UConn and that would cause problems. However IMO Megan Walker would be the best player on the court and that has to count for something. If UConn was able to stay out of Foul Trouble, I think it would be an interesting game.

Reaction Score
Being No. 1 is an ego boost but little more. I would like to see a ranking that shows which teams are improving the most. UConn would be No. 1 in that category. Virtually every player on UConn's thin roster is improving not in small steps but in giant leaps. The road to the FF and a NC got a little easier as Liv continues to domination on the court. Is UConn thin? Look at how many teams really go beyond 6 major contributors. Barring injury, UConn looks in good shape.
The only player who I don't see a pretty noticeable positive difference in is Ms. Williams .... I don't think she's regressed but she definitely doesn't seem to have shown any improvement .... I couldn't agree more with the rest of your observations and I'm obviously thrilled ....

Reaction Score
That’s absolutely not what I meant. I think they would perform better if they are the underdog. Going into the season’s end #1 with undefeated records for the past few final fours, they’ve played not to lose rather than played to win. They are timid and scared and I think being number 1 brings that type or pressure. That 2012 class could handle that with ease. I think if you’re ranked lower going into marquee matchups it makes you play a little more loose like you have nothing to lose. Being number 1 and undefeated I’m not sure that’s something this squad could handle. I’ve been positive all season about UConn Wbb; don’t come for me boo!
I think a lot of people feel that having a loss prior to the post season helps alleviate some pressure while others feel differently. Who knows how a group of 18 to 22 year old kids process stuff.

Reaction Score
wasn’t it at this break that came back a new player in her sophomore year let’s hope time off helps Chrystine

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Agreed. There are a few other rankings that I can't wrap my head around. Just correcting the "facts".
I watched the Indiana loss for South Carolina and that game was called way too close. Boston got in foul trouble out of the gate and many of the starters were in foul trouble throughout the game. I don't think Indiana could beat South Carolina again. They seemed to be playing against the refs and took a too cautious approach the rest of the game. I don't think they are underrated at 4...but they should be 13-0....if it had been played without the tight calls.
FWIW, Sammy is a Rutgers fan and long time Boneyarder, back to the old Big East days. He has no pony in this race

Reaction Score
What about the Rest of your Schedule? Pacific, Southern Utah, Liberty, Hawaii, Utah St, Northern Ariz, BYU (not bad) and still to play CSU Bakersfield. Is that a schedule for a team that deserves a #1 Ranking? I don't think so. Do you believe that UConn wouldn't have won games against Ranked Miami and Mizz St? Both teams beat DePaul. If the DePaul game was played at Storrs, I suspect the Margin of Victory would have been larger. Do I think that Oregon ST beats the teams that UConn has played probably. Instead your team scheduled games against teams with Sub 200 RPI. UConn's highest RPI Team was Dayton, a quality Mid Majors most years.

It cracks me up to see the PAC 12 Brag on Arizona and Colorado still being Undefeated. Talk about Pathetic OOC Schedule. Both teams will end up as Frauds, once they get into conference play.

Oregon St has a significant size advantage over UConn and that would cause problems. However IMO Megan Walker would be the best player on the court and that has to count for something. If UConn was able to stay out of Foul Trouble, I think it would be an interesting game.
I didn't advocate for Oregon State to be #1, I just corrected your inaccurate statement. I don't think OSU should be #1. I will take exception to your position that Megan Walker would be the best player on the court in a game between OSU and UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only player who I don't see a pretty noticeable positive difference in is Ms. Williams .... I don't think she's regressed but she definitely doesn't seem to have shown any improvement .... I couldn't agree more with the rest of your observations and I'm obviously thrilled ....
I agree with you as well...her defense is gradually progressing though!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Pretty poor research on Oregon State. How about 3 wins against top 25: Numbers 16, 21, and 24.

Indeed, not sure what happened there. (Well, Missouri State was not ranked when Oregon State played them, but doesn't explain how I missed the win over Miami). Updated above.

Reaction Score
Michelle Smith tweeted she's voting Oregon ST #1 due to Oregon ST's better schedule today. Mechelle Voepelle liked it, so I presume she's of the same mindset.

Megan Gauer and Mechelle Voepel liked

Michelle Smith
@macsmith413

·
7h

Just putting it out there.
@BeaverWBB
getting my vote for No. 1. Three double-digits wins over ranked teams. Beat DePaul by 21. UConn beat them by 10, for lone win over ranked team. Obviously toughest part of Huskies sked to come. But Beavers have better resume today.

Michelle Smith is from the Left Coast :)

R
Smith's analysis:

I wonder if she is too bullish on UCLA

Reaction Score
I love to copy and paste stats from WarrenNolan.com...and even color code them for your viewing enjoyment. Through 10 games UConn has only played at their true home venues 3 times, 6 times away and yesterday's game at the "neutral" arena. The other 9 teams it's almost a 180 flip, most of their games were at home. Looking at the Q1 through Q4, yeah, UConn has not played a top 10 team yet but they also have not played a Q4 team either...that has to be worth something and only one Q3 team in these last ten games. So, what does this all mean, UConn only enjoyed 1 cupcake while the rest in this list feasted on them Q3 and Q4 teams. :rolleyes:

View attachment 49380
These strength of schedule rankings seem way off to me. UConn has the 3rd highest? Really? Maybe from start to finish but through these first 9 games. I honestly don't know about this quandrant stuff. I think it should be more of a trine. Because quadrant 3 and 4 are basically all cupcakes to anyone not a cupcake. I would rather see, Trine 1 = 1-25, Trine 2 = 25-100, Trine 3 = 100 and above.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These strength of schedule rankings seem way off to me. UConn has the 3rd highest? Really? Maybe from start to finish but through these first 9 games.
This is where the "eye test" comes in for many of us. We have parity in D1 WCBB. The conversation will begin a shift in February to who are the #1 seeds?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom