Weekly Recruiting Summary 4/21/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Weekly Recruiting Summary 4/21/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only footage I could find on the kid. Mamoudou at the 2:35 mark.

Reaction Score
True re: height, but Adou Diarra has a 7-2 wingspan, which is Adrien's size. More than adequate for rebounding and some rim protection against the big boys.

Not sure about Oudou Diarra re: length, tho from eyeballing it he certainly seems like a guy who won't struggle with that aspect of the game.
Not on DraftExpress like Mama, but Mamou reportedly has a 7'2" wingspan as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our Mamadou is a bigger dude than our prospective Mamoudou.

Mamoudou might be taller than Mamadou, but Mamadou is stronger, more athletic and more suited to banging around the basket. Mamoudou is a willowy combo type who will need to put on some weight. Mamadou has more Adrien in him than Mamoudou, but both have a wingspan more in proportion for a praying mantis than a normal human being.

Reaction Score

He kinda looks like a Montrezl Harrell to me. Long and rugged. Not as explosive maybe but I'd love a Montrezl on our team

Reaction Score

He kinda looks like a Montrezl Harrell to me. Long and rugged. Not as explosive maybe but I'd love a Montrezl on our team

Wasn't Harrell more compact and interior only? I have forgotten as he caused us so many nightmares. This guy has a pretty nice stroke for a 6'9 guy from 3-point land. Not much to go on, but the snippets really speak to the fact he could guard a lot of positions as Romar indicated on signing day.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Harrell more compact and interior only? I have forgotten as he caused us so many nightmares. This guy has a pretty nice stroke for a 6'9 guy from 3-point land. Not much to go on, but the snippets really speak to the fact he could guard a lot of positions as Romar indicated on signing day.
For the most part, but Harrell's senior year he took some threes. I wouldn't say they were exactly effective but he had the confidence to pull it. I remember he hit the dagger from 3 against Virginia. Harrell was compact but he was pretty long. I'm not sure if he guarded multiple positions like this guy can.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I find this intriguing. I am wary based on what Fishy said about his build, but if they are talking about his ability to defend multiple positions, then I begin to see why we'd be interested.

I'm not convinced of much, but I truly believe that what Kevin Ollie intends to bring back to UConn with these changes, is stifling defense. He's talked about it before but hasn't done it so far. I think it's the right move given the state of the game.

Reaction Score
Athletic 6'9" Mamoudou Diarra Commits To The Washington Huskies

A lot of quotes and insight in this article from last summer. Since coming to the US in 2014 he's had a torn MCL and broken bones in both hands so he hasn't had a ton of time playing basketball here which has kept him off people's radars. Obviously his coach is going to pump his stock up but he believes he's a top 50 player.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Athletic 6'9" Mamoudou Diarra Commits To The Washington Huskies

A lot of quotes and insight in this article from last summer. Since coming to the US in 2014 he's had a torn MCL and broken bones in both hands so he hasn't had a ton of time playing basketball here which has kept him off people's radars. Obviously his coach is going to pump his stock up but he believes he's a top 50 player.
There's not any option in the grad transfer front to replace Steve. And as bad as Steve was on defense, it appears KO really tried to persuade him not to leave which gives us some indication of what to expect from Cobb.

This dou is raw like Amida was and injury prone like Juwan so I'm sure the people in this forum critical of KO will go bat crazy if he commits here and can't progress or sustains an injury. But KO is between a rock and a hard place and knows he may have to take a flier with this kid. So if he does, he'll need the luck gods to give him the opposite of what he received from them this season - finding a diamond in the rough who doesn't get hurt.

We overlook the luck value sometimes.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what everyone thinks.

IF we landed Mamoudou, how different do you think his splits would be than Enoch.

I projected Enoch next year at 8 pts and 5 rebounds a game.

If MD would get the same minutes, I think people would be surprised how similar statistically they would be. I was excited for Enoch, but he is foul prone and would have trouble on the defensive end. Here I think we upgrade defensively, and lose some scoring, which I am MORE than okay with.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what everyone thinks.

IF we landed Mamoudou, how different do you think his splits would be than Enoch.

I projected Enoch next year at 8 pts and 5 rebounds a game.

If MD would get the same minutes, I think people would be surprised how similar statistically they would be. I was excited for Enoch, but he is foul prone and would have trouble on the defensive end. Here I think we upgrade defensively, and lose some scoring, which I am MORE than okay with.
Mamoudou Diarra would have a much harder time bodying up centers. He's very thin even though he is long. I don't see him as a 5.

Reaction Score
Mamoudou Diarra would have a much harder time bodying up centers. He's very thin even though he is long. I don't see him as a 5.
He doesn't look like a center. I would say in this order: 4/3/5 (5 in a pinch) but very athletic and lean (not skinny like KF).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Stop comparing him to Steve Enoch. He's not Steve Enoch. He's not even a center.

2) I don't think I'd call him a 'rim-protector'. He may occasionally protect a rim, but I think that will be more of a coincidence than an intention. Hard to be definitive off of ten minutes of Youtube, but his team looks like it plays more zone and they have him on the wing in the 2-3. A Connecticut kid named Nevin Zink appears to be their center.

3) He's a combo-forward - a pretty athletic one, but not a polished one. This is the kind of kid Calhoun would instinctively put under the basket, but I don't think Kevin will. He is a raw version of what Ajou Deng thought he was.

None of us are talent scouts and are basically talking out of our asses, but I'm thinking that this might be a kid who they think can help them down the road. There is certainly a lot of raw material here to work with...

Screen_Shot_2017-03-31_at_10.50.45_AM.png

Reaction Score
1) Stop comparing him to Steve Enoch. He's not Steve Enoch. He's not even a center.

2) I don't think I'd call him a 'rim-protector'. He may occasionally protect a rim, but I think that will be more of a coincidence than an intention. Hard to be definitive off of ten minutes of Youtube, but his team looks like it plays more zone and they have him on the wing in the 2-3. A Connecticut kid named Nevin Zink appears to be their center.

3) He's a combo-forward - a pretty athletic one, but not a polished one. This is the kind of kid Calhoun would instinctively put under the basket, but I don't think Kevin will. He is a raw version of what Ajou Deng thought he was.

None of us are talent scouts and are basically talking out of our asses, but I'm thinking that this might be a kid who they think can help them down the road. There is certainly a lot of raw material here to work with...

Screen_Shot_2017-03-31_at_10.50.45_AM.png
I agree the talent scouting in this thread is ridiculous. He looks nothing like Mamadou Diarra, Harrell or Enoch. He looks to be a 3/4 who is raw but has the coordination and athleticism to really be a nice piece to mold as you point out. Ajou was probably more skilled at this stage but this kid looks to be a better athlete and have a better motor.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree the talent scouting in this thread is ridiculous. He looks nothing like Mamadou Diarra, Harrell or Enoch. He looks to be a 3/4 who is raw but has the coordination and athleticism to really be a nice piece to mold as you point out. Ajou was probably more skilled at this stage but this kid looks to be a better athlete and have a better motor.
Would you say Terry, Polly and Mamoudou are all 3/4 players and Juwan is a stretch 4?
If Vance had Mamoudou's athleticism to go along with the positives in his game Vance Sr could have been in the ball park of Bell sr.
Wish Cobb could move like this kid. When I think of dinosaurs I equate Mamoudou to a Velociraptor. Cobb reminds me of a Brontosaurus.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Would you say Terry, Polly and Mamoudou are all 3/4 players and Juwan is a stretch 4?
Mamoudou is a 4, man. He'll never see signifiant minutes at SF for any decent team.

I also think Juwan will play a ton of minutes at the 5 this year, which is fine as long as he gets stronger.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Any info on Karem? Read on ADimeBack that he will be available as a grad transfer to play immediately. He is currently testing the NBA draft without an agent but should pull his name out in May.

Not that it means much, but I'm sure he is at least aware we want him in Storrs. I tweeted him telling him he should come play for KO and he liked it.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Any info on Karem? Read on ADimeBack that he will be available as a grad transfer to play immediately. He is currently testing the NBA draft without an agent but should pull his name out in May.

Not that it means much, but I'm sure he is at least aware we want him in Storrs. I tweeted him telling him he should come play for KO and he liked it.

Reaction Score
Enes' little bro.

Averaged 11 points, 6 boards last year.

Are we looking at him?

Reaction Score
Kerem* Kanter and this tweet claims we've reached out. We're listed first too, which may very well mean nothing.

23.7 PTS, 13.2 REB per 40, but if his defense is anything like his brother's he'd be a liability on that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom