Weekly Recruiting Summary 4/21/17 | The Boneyard

Weekly Recruiting Summary 4/21/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's the highest-rated target we're after for 2018, a true 5-star, top-1o player. My theory was that we have a decent enough shot at him because he'd previously measured out with only "good" but sub-elite length at 6-foot-9 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan.

I don't know if this is accurate, but:

He's grown. That's pretty obviously NBA size, which means that UK in particular will probably have more interest in him than before.

Want the good news? UK are starting to get some heat with Naz Reid, who's like Shittu in that he's a slick-passing point point power forward. He's bigger than Shittu and thus has more upside, but his engine is only so-so while Shittu's is great.

If UK get Reid, I think it's less likely that Shittu goes there. We'll still be competing against some great schools who can and have beaten us for recruits we really want, but not against the school.

FWIW, Duke has shown interest in Shittu but not offered.

Previous threads:

2018 Recruiting: Simi Shittu

2018 Recruiting: - Ayala, Shittu

2018 Recruiting: - Simi Shittu - PF (Possibility of 2017 reclass)

Matrim55

Reaction Score
What tape do we have on him? I haven't taken the time to watch previously, but I'll watch now.
There are full JuCo games of his on Youtube. Good footwork, some nice moves around the hoop, good passer. Not long, very little lift, needs to lose 20 pounds and stay away from BB guns. Doesn't rebound out of his area well, which is a concern, but he does know how to box out.

I don't share Fishy's enthusiasm, but I don't hate this, either. The kid is/was a P5 target, and if he can give us 15 minutes of clogging up the paint every night for the next two years, I'll take it.

Reaction Score
Just saw on 247 Andrew Slater swapped his pick to us for former Washington guard signee Blake Harris. Anyone heard that we are in on him?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just saw on 247 Andrew Slater swapped his pick to us for former Washington guard signee Blake Harris. Anyone heard that we are in on him?

No - but he'd be a big pick up. Taller pure point guard.

pj

Reaction Score
Back to Tremont Waters, he's discussed in this article: The gentrification of college hoops. Turns out he's played high school basketball for 8 years, due to starting in 6th grade and repeating both 6th and 12th grades.

I'm glad we're getting MAL.

Reaction Score
Since I have decided to go full blown optimist at the moment, I will point out that Washington has a recent history of spotting undervalued talent. Chillious at work? IDK. He was the guy, as @James pointed out, that first spotted future top 2 pick Fultz playing JV and said he would be an All Star if he grew. Guys like Murray and Chriss last year were Vance Jackson tier recruits and ended up being 1 and done 1st rounders. I think most services had them between 45-55 and Vance was in the 70's or so. And yea, we need bodies. This guy is more of a Carlton tier recruit but I will be interested in following this development.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
If this Chillious guy can recruit like Calipari up in this biotch, that would be insane.
We don't even need that. We just need him to make sure we don't miss on the next Bonzie Colson, Bruce Brown, Tyrique Jones, etc. If we can sprinkle in the occasional Markelle Fultz that'd be nice, but I'm more interested in getting the right 4-stars than in overloading on 5-stars.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Got to get him.
Dicki V - "UConn has two diaper dandies"!
We can have a Diarra duel!
Who can do the dew better!
No ! UConn has two Diarras?
No Verne that was Mamadou who scored not Mamoudou. Verne's reply "Well they both have diarrhea so who cares.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Some scouting info from 247!

With all of the talent that the Huskies are bringing in, Mamoudou Diarra, who played for the Gateway on the Adidas Gauntlet circuit, plans on bringing the Huskies "a different dimension. I can play four different spots on the court." Coach Scott Schroepfer added, "His strengths are his motor and his versatility. He can play the wing. He played the three and the four for us. He's got great lateral quickness, a 7'2" wingspan, and he's athletic. His areas for improvement are his perimeter shooting, which is getting better. His passing is getting better. His defensive motor has gone from a two to a twelve. The lights come on and he's just ready to play both ends of the floor."

Reaction Score
this thread got me to re-watch some old mixtapes on our Diarra last night. I really hope he is healthy for this upcoming season. All of his game is derived from the power in his legs so it's a concern he has such balky knees but his physicality is desperately needed on this team. The guy dunks the hell out of the ball. He's 6'8 and has a 7'2 wingspan. If he can add more muscle, which he appears o have the build for, he would fall into a similar role as Jordan Bell. We really haven't had many updates on his health, but no news could be good news here. The way things look in the frontcourt right now we could be relying on Diarra to grab a bunch of boards.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Being both a Nebraska fan and UConn fan (and having suffered through many a Nebrasketball losses) , I can say this kid is precisely what UConn has been missing on the interior the past few seasons. I normally don't like starting these threads on kids transferring but I really hope someone gets this kids tape in front of the right people at UConn as I think his skill set could be a real asset for us. Moves extremely well, makes all the small plays and does a lot of the dirty work. Kid plays tough as absolute nails, averaged 9.4 points and 7.5. boards per game as essentially an undersized center for Nebraska as a Sophomore in the B1G last year. Will be a 3 to play 2 guy.

Morrow to transfer from program

Morrow, a 6-foot-7 forward, played in 24 games, averaging 9.4 points and a team-high 7.5 rebounds per game in 2016-17. Morrow, who missed seven games because of a foot injury, tied for the team lead in blocked shots with 27 and posted a team-high three double-doubles. He reached double figures 10 times in 2016-17, including a career-high 19 points against Dayton. Morrow grabbed 10 or more rebounds on seven occasions, including a career-high 18 against Gardner-Webb. In his two seasons at Nebraska, Morrow averaged 6.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game in 54 games, including 19 starts.

Big 10 Bound, Energetic Rim Protector Ed Morrow Dominates Chicago! Senior Year Mixtape!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
He started 18 games this season, including the first 16 of the year, and averaged 9.4 points and a team-best 7.5 rebounds.

Morrow was the No. 52-rated player in the class of 2015 by ESPN and the highest-rated recruit the Huskers had signed in nearly two decades. He was considered a four-star recruit by Rivals and was rated among the nation’s top 150 players by the site.

Morrow says decision to transfer from NU is 'sacrifice I have to make to better myself'

Reaction Score
Just curious what y'all are thinking:

Would you prefer Blake Harris or Joel ayayi if you could have your ideal?

I still don't see anywhere other than follow by Chillious that were even recruiting this kid. Wondering if the hype here is overblown

Reaction Score

I still don't see anywhere other than follow by Chillious that were even recruiting this kid. Wondering if the hype here is overblown
Probably Harris. Although I don't necessarily think it's one or the other. Ayayi just turned 17. Could very easily wait a year to go to college if he ever goes

Reaction Score

Probably ayayi. He is taller and seems to have more upside than Harris.

Reaction Score

Blake Harris without a doubt. I don't like Ayayi at all, he would be a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom