Week Two: Interesting Games | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week Two: Interesting Games

Reaction Score
South Carolina and Oregon were basically 1a and 1b. In my mind, if the NCAA tournament had occurred 2020 those two teams would have faced each other in the title game and it's basically a coin toss on the winner. But that didn't happen so we only have the regular season to go off of and the majority thought South Carolina was the better team, thus the #1 ranking in almost every poll.

I do not believe most South Carolina fans care one way or another about the #1 banner. The only reason I care, is that it meant something to the players who put a lot of time and effort into getting that #1 ranking that they had some visible record of their accomplishments in the absence of the NCAA tournament. And when they come back to the arena they can be reminded of their achievement during a very trying year.
I agree. The banner is not a claim of a championship because there was no championship. Who knows what would have happened in the tournament? Nobody. Being number one at the end of the season - even when undefeated - does not mean you will win the championship or get to play in the championship game:oops:

But we always honor that ten for what they did accomplish before the rug was swept out from under their feet.

Reaction Score
Maryland squeaks out a 83-81 win over Syracuse but you could see the Terps were sweating the last 10 seconds. Don’t count the Orange out this season.
That last execution out of the timeout was hard to watch. But, they were competitive.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Good thing the Pac 12 had a good start to the season, results weren't as good the second week. Stanford jumped all over Duke to start the game but Blue Devils have fought their way back into it at the half.

Reaction Score
NC State squeaks by Rhode Island, closer than 67-58 final would indicate

URI best team in New England? lol
Harvard only lost 81-71 to Baylor

Providence not even in the top 5 in New England

It’s probably UConn - uri - Harvard - bc - holy cross

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If Duke throws a ball in the air from behind the arc, it's going in. Cannot miss since the first quarter. Stanford is playing 3 on 5. Outside of Brink, Iriafen and Jump, nobody has done ANYTHING for the Card today.

edit--we're going OT

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina and Oregon were basically 1a and 1b. In my mind, if the NCAA tournament had occurred 2020 those two teams would have faced each other in the title game and it's basically a coin toss on the winner. But that didn't happen so we only have the regular season to go off of and the majority thought South Carolina was the better team, thus the #1 ranking in almost every poll.

I do not believe most South Carolina fans care one way or another about the #1 banner. The only reason I care, is that it meant something to the players who put a lot of time and effort into getting that #1 ranking that they had some visible record of their accomplishments in the absence of the NCAA tournament. And when they come back to the arena they can be reminded of their achievement during a very trying year.

Yeah, there wasn't a champion that year.

The banner says what it says. I could do without it, but it's fine.

SC would have whipped Oregon if they'd played, which was far from certain.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Duke/Stanford going OT. Good game to tune into on ABC

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tara outcoached herself. Refused to play Brink and Iriafen together just about the entire 2nd half. Why? Agara is out there doing nothing.
Also sat Bosgana the entire 2nd half til midway thru OT. I thought she was maybe hurt. Nope. Tara...I absolutely don't understand her substitution patterns over the years.

Reaction Score
Duke with a crucial layup miss at the end of OT contributes to their 82-79 loss.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Brink had foul trouble again. She was really good when she was on the floor. Career high 29, 11 rebounds, 6 blocks. She's also on the verge of breaking the record for consecutively made FTs. This from a player who struggled to hit around 50% early in her career.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Brink had foul trouble again. She was really good when she was on the floor. Career high 29, 11 rebounds, 6 blocks. She's also on the verge of breaking the record for consecutively made FTs. This from a player who struggled to hit around 50% early in her career.
I didn't catch most of the game but the 4th foul she got was a bad call IMO. Didn't look like she touched the opposing player. Tough loss for Duke but they're going to be a pain for a lot of ACC teams this year. The offense isn't pretty but they play hard and are super gritty. Most teams wont have bigs inside like Iriafen/Brink that they'll need to compete against.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't catch most of the game but the 4th foul she got was a bad call IMO. Didn't look like she touched the opposing player. Tough loss for Duke but they're going to be a pain for a lot of ACC teams this year. The offense isn't pretty but they play hard and are super gritty. Most teams wont have bigs inside like Iriafen/Brink that they'll need to compete against.
Her second foul was ridiculous. She had inside position on a rebound and got called for over the back. I can't think of any star player who's ever gotten less benefit of the doubt from refs than she has, throughout her career.

Reaction Score
Her second foul was ridiculous. She had inside position on a rebound and got called for over the back. I can't think of any star player who's ever gotten less benefit of the doubt from refs than she has, throughout her career.
I’ll add to this that I think she’s been woefully undercovered despite her obvious skill and talent. She should be in the national conversation alongside Bueckers, Clark, and Reese. I know geography plays a part but I don’t think she’s gotten the recognition she deserves.

Reaction Score
I’ll add to this that I think she’s been woefully undercovered despite her obvious skill and talent. She should be in the national conversation alongside Bueckers, Clark, and Reese. I know geography plays a part but I don’t think she’s gotten the recognition she deserves.
I think she was certainly in the preseason discussion. To this East coast observer she gets a lot of coverage.

But then my team has played Stanford a lot.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Maryland is ok. Squeaked by Syracuse.

With ND now down Citron and Duke already with blemishes, SCar's non-con might not look as great as in past seasons.

Reaction Score
According to different mock WNBA drafts, Brink will go 2nd or 3rd.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Florida Gulf Coast beat Kentucky. UK losing doesn't even seem like a story anymore. Will their coach make it thru the year before she gets fired?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another good game for Conner for TCU today and Sedona Prince w/ a monster 33 pt/16 reb performance. They play Nebraska in about a week, will be interesting to see how they do against some better competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom