Week Two: Interesting Games | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Week Two: Interesting Games

Reaction Score
Santa Clara destroyed Oregon 89-50. What the hell is that?! Hmm SCU 16-28 from 3 UO 5-21. Yowzer.

Meanwhile Washington is looking really uninspired against a terrible Seattle U. team.
Graves is not helping his case lately. Losing by 40 at home to Santa Clara? Jeeez

Reaction Score
This is the Santa Clara team that lost to Cal 71-56. Eek for the Ducks.

No team suffered more from Covid than Oregon. That 2020 title was theirs, which would’ve brought attention and recruiting.

Reaction Score
This is the Santa Clara team that lost to Cal 71-56. Eek for the Ducks.

No team suffered more from Covid than Oregon. That 2020 title was theirs, which would’ve brought attention and recruiting.
I would say Oregon has recruited some dang good talent but a lot of attrition in recent years but still this current Oregon roster has no business losing by 39 at home

Graves got to get things turned out and fast.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington made Seattle U. look like a decent team today. SU lost by 29 and 28 in their 2 previous games against UC Irvine and Portland. Pretty frustrating game. At least they didn't lose. Terrible shooting from the charity stripe and behind the 3 point arc. A bunch of O boards but they didn't convert that many of them into points. Not many assists. Lost the TO battle. A game like that will be a loss against most conference foes.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I didn't see a clear winner. I thought that South Carolina, Baylor, and Oregon all had roughly equal chances. They were head and shoulders above everyone else.

This ^^. Baylor had a bad loss entering the tournament but still had a great resume and would have been tough with their roster. All 3 would've had home crowds for regionals too. SC was a lock for #1 overall seed so they would've likely faced the winner of the projected Louisville/Maryland regional in the Final Four, and the other semifinal would've likely been Oregon/Baylor.

Reaction Score
A self proclaimed banner doesn’t make it so.
Oregon was the best, most experienced team that year.
Yeah, they got that Massey vote. Oh, and yours.

AP? Nope? Coaches? Nope? NET? Nope, RPI? Nope. Nolan ELO? Nope.

The banner is as irrelevant a championship as it to your assertion “the 2020 title was “ the Ducks

Reaction Score
This ^^. Baylor had a bad loss entering the tournament but still had a great resume and would have been tough with their roster. All 3 would've had home crowds for regionals too. SC was a lock for #1 overall seed so they would've likely faced the winner of the projected Louisville/Maryland regional in the Final Four, and the other semifinal would've likely been Oregon/Baylor.
Leaving UConn out? They were at least a two seed.

Reaction Score
If memory serves me, UConn was blown out by all three teams during the regular season so they were perceived as a step below South Carolina/Oregon/Baylor
Yes, but not necessarily below Louisville or Maryland . Playoffs are different. Non-1 seeds can win. :oops:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Leaving UConn out? They were at least a two seed.
They weren’t nearly as strong that year (blown out by all 3 teams mentioned) and were projected to be the 2 seed in Oregon’s Portland regional. Oregon blew them out earlier that year in Connecticut and would’ve been a heavy favorite if they matched up in the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
Uh oh Duckies. Getting run out of the gym by Santa Clara. Former UW Husky Olivia Pollerd is pacing them in scoring. I didn't think she got a fair shake her 1 season in Seattle. Recruited by the outgoing coach, hardly saw the floor as a Fr. Oh well, working out okay for her it looks like.
I’ve never seen such an unconscious display of shot making as Santa Clara tonight. 80% from 3 in the first half. Who does that? Just one of those magical nights. It was actually quite amazing to watch… after a while you just had to laugh and say “of course it’s going in”.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen such an unconscious display of shot making as Santa Clara tonight. 80% from 3 in the first half. Who does that? Just one of those magical nights. It was actually quite amazing to watch… after a while you just had to laugh and say “of course it’s going in”.
Sounds like Baylor/Louisville from 2013

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Sounds like Baylor/Louisville from 2013
Short of Stanford's 2021 championship game, that's probably my favorite NCAA game of the past decade. Loved seeing the gritty rez ball energy the Schimmel twins brought to that game, watching them sprint around Griner like tiny determined midgets.

Reaction Score
Oregon did have #1 votes in both polls at the end of the season. And of the last 6 champions, only 2 were ranked #1 entering the tournament.
South Carolina and Oregon were basically 1a and 1b. In my mind, if the NCAA tournament had occurred 2020 those two teams would have faced each other in the title game and it's basically a coin toss on the winner. But that didn't happen so we only have the regular season to go off of and the majority thought South Carolina was the better team, thus the #1 ranking in almost every poll.

I do not believe most South Carolina fans care one way or another about the #1 banner. The only reason I care, is that it meant something to the players who put a lot of time and effort into getting that #1 ranking that they had some visible record of their accomplishments in the absence of the NCAA tournament. And when they come back to the arena they can be reminded of their achievement during a very trying year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom