Week Two: Interesting Games | The Boneyard

Week Two: Interesting Games

Reaction Score
Generally this is ranked teams vs P-5s +1 and a few others that struck my fancy.

Tuesday
Utah 77 at Baylor 84

Wednesday
Northwestern @ Notre Dame

Thursday
Maryland @ UConn
Clemson @ SCar*****
BC @ tOSU
K-State @ iowa

Friday
FSU @ Florida

Saturday
Illinois @ Notre Dame

Sunday
Syracuse @ Maryland
Creighton @ Nebraska
Oklahoma @ UVA
Duke @ Stanford
UConn @ Minnesota
Drake v Iowa

FEEL FREE TO RECOMMEND ADDITIONS

if Joyce Edwards picks Clemson today this will be a bitter game. I might even discuss New Springs Baptist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love these threads.

Lots of good games this week. The Duke Stanford game should be really good. I love that Kara scheduled such an early test.

Iowa v Kansas State is also pretty interesting. The way Iowa was able to defend Kitley and the way Stuelke is able to run the floor I can see it being a rough game for Ayoka Lee. but she's a pretty big competitor so I can see her finding a way to be effective. K State looked a lot better in their second game as opposed to their season opener.

I expect a lot out of UConn even though Maryland is a great opponent. Azzis struggled a bit to start the season, as well as Caroline Ducharme. I don't think that will continue for much longer. On the flip side, I'm really happy to say the way Faith is playing for Maryland. That second year post ACL tear really is big. She looks a lot more fluid. I am a bit worried about Lavender Briggs. She had a very good pre season, as far as the exhibition games. She looked to be in great shape. So I thought she would be back to the 18 ppg scorer we saw at Florida. Similar with Azzi, its still very early and the talent is there. Unlike Azzi she's not getting the fgas. I'm hoping she hasn't lost confidence in her abilities.

The Florida State v Florida game is also a lot of fun. I really like both coaches and both programs I think are on the up and up. Florida having Matharu back is big. I always liked Correa. I know that got some good young players coming in next year so they are building something down there. And FSU has a lot of talent and athleticism. Should be a really good game.

Lastly I like the Nebraska v Creighton game. Nebraska had a disappointing season last year but they are off to a solid start. Creighton remains a good team. I hope Jaz Shelly gets to see the tournament again so it's games like this that they have to win before conference play

Reaction Score
Love these threads.

Lots of good games this week. The Duke Stanford game should be really good. I love that Kara scheduled such an early test.

Iowa v Kansas State is also pretty interesting. The way Iowa was able to defend Kitley and the way Stuelke is able to run the floor I can see it being a rough game for Ayoka Lee. but she's a pretty big competitor so I can see her finding a way to be effective. K State looked a lot better in their second game as opposed to their season opener.

I expect a lot out of UConn even though Maryland is a great opponent. Azzis struggled a bit to start the season, as well as Caroline Ducharme. I don't think that will continue for much longer. On the flip side, I'm really happy to say the way Faith is playing for Maryland. That second year post ACL tear really is big. She looks a lot more fluid. I am a bit worried about Lavender Briggs. She had a very good pre season, as far as the exhibition games. She looked to be in great shape. So I thought she would be back to the 18 ppg scorer we saw at Florida. Similar with Azzi, its still very early and the talent is there. Unlike Azzi she's not getting the fgas. I'm hoping she hasn't lost confidence in her abilities.

The Florida State v Florida game is also a lot of fun. I really like both coaches and both programs I think are on the up and up. Florida having Matharu back is big. I always liked Correa. I know that got some good young players coming in next year so they are building something down there. And FSU has a lot of talent and athleticism. Should be a really good game.

Lastly I like the Nebraska v Creighton game. Nebraska had a disappointing season last year but they are off to a solid start. Creighton remains a good team. I hope Jaz Shelly gets to see the tournament again so it's games like this that they have to win before conference play
Drake at Iowa interests me. In state rivals of sorts. Last years game went to overtime. Drake would be a quad One (58 NET) if this weren't an Iowa home game. Do I think Drake can pull the upset? Not really but it will be interesting to see if they can make Iowa's new starters nervous and keep it close. Even so, I would expect Clark to pull out a win in the closing minutes,

Reaction Score
Generally this is ranked teams vs P-5s +1 and a few others that struck my fancy.

Tuesday
Utah 77 at Baylor 84

Wednesday
Northwestern @ Notre Dame

Thursday
Maryland @ UConn
Clemson @ SCar*****
BC @ tOSU
K-State @ iowa

Friday
FSU @ Florida

Saturday
Illinois @ Notre Dame

Sunday
Syracuse @ Maryland
Creighton @ Nebraska
Oklahoma @ UVA
Duke @ Stanford
UConn @ Minnesota
Drake v Iowa

FEEL FREE TO RECOMMEND ADDITIONS

if Joyce Edwards picks Clemson today this will be a bitter game. I might even discuss New Springs Baptist.
Forgot to put some recommendations, though I'm not sure all will be televised.

Thursday is pretty loaded. I think there are some solid matchups that will help assess some teams. Duke plays Davidson on Thursday and Davidson gave UNC everything they could handle earlier this week. Basketball math is not the greatest tool but if Duke beats then handily I think it at least give the notion that they are a top 25 team who will compete in the ACC.

South Florida and Alabama is an interesting game. I'm not sure what's going on with Sammie P on the USF side but they still have a lot of talent. And Alabama has had a strong start to the season. I remember some people thought they'd be top 7 in the SEC and I was surprised. It will be good to watch them.

Lastly Princeton vs UCLA on Friday is something I'll definitely have on my radar. I'm a Kaitlyn Chen stan but Princeton also has a lot of returners and a good freshman class. I'm not sure if UCLA will be a bit undermanned again as a couple of players left to play for their national teams I. Qualifying tournaments. That said they've gotten off to a great start

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
South Florida and Alabama is an interesting game. I'm not sure what's going on with Sammie P on the USF side but they still have a lot of talent. And Alabama has had a strong start to the season. I remember some people thought they'd be top 7 in the SEC and I was surprised. It will be good to watch them.
Sammie is sitting out with a leg injury. Hope she’ll be cleared to play soon.

Reaction Score
Forgot to put some recommendations, though I'm not sure all will be televised.

Lastly Princeton vs UCLA on Friday is something I'll definitely have on my radar. I'm a Kaitlyn Chen stan but Princeton also has a lot of returners and a good freshman class. I'm not sure if UCLA will be a bit undermanned again as a couple of players left to play for their national teams I. Qualifying tournaments. That said they've gotten off to a great start
2025 Eurobasket qualifying first phase games ended Sunday. Angela Dugalic will return for UCLA’s game with Princeton.

Emily Bessoir reinjured her left knee, same one she suffered a ACL tear two years ago, late in Germany’s first game. Done for the year. Unfortunately not available for Olympic Qualifying Tournament in February and will probably miss the Paris Olympics, assuming Germany qualifies. Emily really looked forward to helping German WBB make its first ever Olympic Games. Disappointed but posted on Instagram that she intends to work towards a full recovery and return to the court.

Bessoir’s absence creates an opportunity for Gabriela Jaquez, Lina Sontag and Dugalic to get more playing time. Jaquez started Sunday against Bellarmine, scored 30 pts and grabbed 12 rebounds playing 33 minutes. She shot 10 for 14 on 2 pt FGAs and 2 for 5 from 3 pt range.

Reaction Score
Please keep these threads going throughout the season (if possible). :)

Should be some good ones, though I think SCar is going to beat up on Clemson unless a higher power intervenes.

Outside of the UConn games, I'm very curious about the Syracuse/Maryland matchup. Maryland is going to be coming off the game with UConn and Syracuse's new squad is pretty feisty, rebounds well, and could steal a win.

Looking ahead a bit to next Monday ... I usually try and follow South Dakota St. U (a friend is an alumni). They play the Gamecocks. :eek: It could potentially be close if SDSU can score from 3 like I've seen them do before (that is their bread and butter). But that's a very tall order and would be like the upset of the century. So very unlikely.

Reaction Score
Please keep these threads going throughout the season (if possible). :)

Should be some good ones, though I think SCar is going to beat up on Clemson unless a higher power intervenes.

Outside of the UConn games, I'm very curious about the Syracuse/Maryland matchup. Maryland is going to be coming off the game with UConn and Syracuse's new squad is pretty feisty, rebounds well, and could steal a win.

Looking ahead a bit to next Monday ... I usually try and follow South Dakota St. U (a friend is an alumni). They play the Gamecocks. :eek: It could potentially be close if SDSU can score from 3 like I've seen them do before (that is their bread and butter). But that's a very tall order and would be like the upset of the century. So very unlikely.
S, Dakota State has played us several years now and have not won BUT they have never folded. They give us good solid competition.

Reaction Score
2025 Eurobasket qualifying first phase games ended Sunday. Angela Dugalic will return for UCLA’s game with Princeton.

Emily Bessoir reinjured her left knee, same one she suffered a ACL tear two years ago, late in Germany’s first game. Done for the year. Unfortunately not available for Olympic Qualifying Tournament in February and will probably miss the Paris Olympics, assuming Germany qualifies. Emily really looked forward to helping German WBB make its first ever Olympic Games. Disappointed but posted on Instagram that she intends to work towards a full recovery and return to the court.

Bessoir’s absence creates an opportunity for Gabriela Jaquez, Lina Sontag and Dugalic to get more playing time. Jaquez started Sunday against Bellarmine, scored 30 pts and grabbed 12 rebounds playing 33 minutes. She shot 10 for 14 on 2 pt FGAs and 2 for 5 from 3 pt range.
Wow. Thanks for the update. What a bummer for Emily

Reaction Score
"Emily Bessoir reinjured her left knee, same one she suffered a ACL tear two years ago, late in Germany’s first game. Done for the year"

So sorry to hear this. One of my favorite Pac-12 players. Best wishes to Emily and her family. Tough break.

Reaction Score
"Emily Bessoir reinjured her left knee, same one she suffered a ACL tear two years ago, late in Germany’s first game. Done for the year"

So sorry to hear this. One of my favorite Pac-12 players. Best wishes to Emily and her family. Tough break.
Terrible. Hoping for a speedy recovery

Reaction Score
S, Dakota State has played us several years now and have not won BUT they have never folded. They give us good solid competition.

Played South Dakota 3 years in a row, and South Dakota State last year.

Dawn likes the Dakotas going back to one of those West Region exiles the committee decided upon.

Reaction Score
Love these threads.

Re Stuelke vs Lee: While Stuelke has speed, Lee is a lot more willing to bang inside versus fading back like Kitley did. Much more physical presence as well with the height advantage. Stuelke will need to be smart and not get hit with cheap fouls like she did versus VT. Also think they're going to need Goodman and O'Grady to do some yeoman work to challenge her size.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington's OOC is pretty weak, other than Louisville just before Christmas. I'm curious to see what they look like against an at least halfway decent team. First 2 games were cannon fodder. Maybe Pacific tonight? UoP is 2-0 with double digit wins against CSU Fullerton and CSU Bakersfield.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My NC A&T Aggies traveled 30 minutes down Interstate 40 West to Winston Salem, and came home with a 56-52 victory over ACC foe Wake Forest , sorry @The deacon

NCATFans_original (1).gif

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pretty scary, Dalayah Daniels went out with an injury for Washington. Did return after probably about 10 minutes of game time. They simply can't afford to lose her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well I guess I got what I asked for. Pacific hung around for a good chunk of the game, then Washington blew it wide open to a 27 point margin well into Q4. After that they went to sleep and allowed a 10-0 run to close the game.

Again, competition level, yeah yeah. But Washington has been atrocious shooting the 3 for 6 straight seasons. This year they've hit 10+ in all 3 games shooting well over 40%. I'll take it. They added 3 freshmen guards who all bring a scorers mentality and don't hesitate to pull the trigger.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State defeated Elon 90-35 Wednesday evening. The Pack jumped out to a 7-0 lead and never trailed. Elon did go on a bit of a run in the 1st to get within 9-8 before NC State went on a 12-0 run and the race was on from there.

Aziaha James paced the Wolfpack Women with 20 points and Mimi Collins was a perfect 8 of 8 from the floor in contributing 17 points. Saniya Rivers, coming off her 33-point performance against UCONN, scored 6 points but dished out a career-high 7 assists. NC State also tied a program record by going a perfect 17 of 17 from the FT line.

A date with Rhode Island, a 26-win team a year ago, is coming up for the Wolfpack on Sunday.

Reaction Score
My NC A&T Aggies traveled 30 minutes down Interstate 40 West to Winston Salem, and came home with a 56-52 victory over ACC foe Wake Forest , sorry @The deacon

View attachment 93086
No worries, triaddukefan, I'm sure the Deacs will bounce right back once they're into ACC schedule.:eek:

Best news at the moment is that the Wake women are spending the next several days or so playing in a tournament in Hawaii:cool: and that they don't play Duke 'til Feb. 8.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I would vote Arizona St. out of the Pac 12, but well, you know. Won't have to worry about it after this year.

And if you're a Maryland fan, are you officially worried yet?

If you're an SEC fan other than South Carolina, are you worried yet? Conference is having a fairly close to dismal non conference showing so far. Except for South Carolina of course.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom