Week Two: Interesting Games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Week Two: Interesting Games

Reaction Score
Maryland is struggling. But Syracuse is looking better this year than quite a few years prior. They’re going to be pests in the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another good game for Conner for TCU today and Sedona Prince w/ a monster 33 pt/16 reb performance. They play Nebraska in about a week, will be interesting to see how they do against some better competition.
I keep forgetting Sedona Prince is still in college! :oops:

Side note, I think she'll make an intriguing WNBA prospect. I don't believe she is a first rounder but I could see a team taking a chance on her in the later rounds.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I keep forgetting Sedona Prince is still in college! :oops:

Side note, I think she'll make an intriguing WNBA prospect. I don't believe she is a first rounder but I could see a team taking a chance on her in the later rounds.
I haven’t followed all of the off court drama around her career but I will say I am happy to see her reaching her basketball potential. When she first suited up for Oregon I thought she had unlimited potential with her size and skill at 6-7. Not sure I have ever seen a player her size move so smoothly and effortlessly. If she takes basketball seriously and puts in the work I still think she could be a great pro.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State squeaks by Rhode Island, closer than 67-58 final would indicate
NC State was not in this game mentally until the second half; Rhode Island actually led 23-13 with 9:02 left in the second quarter, leading to a timeout where an animated Wes Moore lit into his team. Rhode Island has some athletic players and one fantastic shot blocker; Magassa had 5 against NC State...and until the 3rd quarter, our ladies kept putting it in places where Magassa could get to it.

It was not until there were 3 minutes left in the game before NC State got a lead of 3 points or more. The final score is not indicative of how close this game actually was; it was a thriller.

Of note today...Mimi Collins scored her 1000th career point; Mimi got a double-double against Rhode Island with 10 points and 11 rebounds. Saniya Rivers once again came to State's rescue with 19 points, 6 rebounds and 7 assists...though she didn't score her first points until at the 1st quarter horn.

An effort like we saw today will lead to losses for NC State at the Paradise Jam later this week.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
For the SC fans, very interested on your thoughts on the development of your top recruiting class from 2021:

• Raven Johnson (redshirted a year but now looking like one of best PGs in country)
  • Saniya Rivers (Transferred to NC St and now seems to be fulfilling potential as a Jr)
  • Sania Feagin (a very talented cog in the team's post rotation, but can't seem to move ahead of either Watkins or Kitts in rotation, both of whom are younger than her)
  • Bree Hall (now a reliable starter, but more of a glue player as opposed to a superstar--which perhaps was more her role)

With a roster as deep and as talented (and for the first two years, as upperclassmen focused) as SC, I do wonder if those in the 2/3/4 position can get a bit lost in the clog. Impossible to know how Rivers would be doing if still at SC, and if Feagin would be beasting it elsewhere. Obviously a great problem for SC to have, but can also make it hard to see just how good these players are individually.

Reaction Score
I’ll add to this that I think she’s been woefully undercovered despite her obvious skill and talent. She should be in the national conversation alongside Bueckers, Clark, and Reese. I know geography plays a part but I don’t think she’s gotten the recognition she deserves.

From what I've seen, she's always in the conversation. She's even seen in the latest New Balance ads with NBA players promoting the show line. Not to mention the regular references to her connection with Steph Curry and his family. She's not being overlooked one bit.

Reaction Score
Elzy is as good as gone. Kentucky fans wanted her fired after last year. The record this year will be so bad the AD won't have a choice.

She can't hang her hat on recruiting either as her classes have been dreadful.

Reaction Score
For the SC fans, very interested on your thoughts on the development of your top recruiting class from 2021:

• Raven Johnson (redshirted a year but now looking like one of best PGs in country)
  • Saniya Rivers (Transferred to NC St and now seems to be fulfilling potential as a Jr)
  • Sania Feagin (a very talented cog in the team's post rotation, but can't seem to move ahead of either Watkins or Kitts in rotation, both of whom are younger than her)
  • Bree Hall (now a reliable starter, but more of a glue player as opposed to a superstar--which perhaps was more her role)

With a roster as deep and as talented (and for the first two years, as upperclassmen focused) as SC, I do wonder if those in the 2/3/4 position can get a bit lost in the clog. Impossible to know how Rivers would be doing if still at SC, and if Feagin would be beasting it elsewhere. Obviously a great problem for SC to have, but can also make it hard to see just how good these players are individually.
The transfer for Rivers was the right move for her….she was never going to be the focal point of their offense, and to develop at the NCAA level, she needed to play a lot and to eventually be entrusted with the ball as a #1 type player…in short she needs the ball in her hands most of the game to get a rhythm and the confidence to be the best she can be. As a role player at SC she never would have reached that level she currently is playing at.

Raven is developing into an elite PG at SC after her ACL injury lost freshman year, and she will be a 1st team all SEC player during her final 3 seasons, so she is where she belongs. Hall will continue to increase her numbers this year and next and is valued at SC for her all around game. She really is a glue type player that every team needs. Feagin is ultra talented offensively, Dawn is working her hard to show defensive improvements that will develop her game for the next level, and she will show breakout results at some point this season. She really is that talented And will play at the WNBA level once she learns the lessons from DS on the defensive side, and she is starting to show those signs already. Look for her to breakout sooner than later.

Reaction Score
I think Rivers would have done fine at South Carolina, but would have continued to be behind Cooke and Beal and competing with Hall and I supppose Amihere as a Sophomore. However, Its not like she wasn't getting playing time as a freshman.

She ended up coming off the bench at NC State anyway.

It worked out ok for everyone so wish her the best. I was sad she left.

Reaction Score
I think Raven is excellent and likely will be the assist leader in SEC this season and make an argument as Dawn's best point before she leaves. . The knee injury pushed her back and required them to bring in Fletcher, which made her earn more time as season went along last year.

It's disappointing that Feagin has struggled to get playing time but she's extremely productive when she gets in. I think she definitely would start and score at a high rate for many programs.

Hall is a nice all round player.

All of these players of course have numbers and minutes compressed by playing on a team with deep well of talent.

Reaction Score
Side note, after the SEC teams started off so poorly in OOC play in week one, the worm seems to slowly be turning now.

Reaction Score
I think Rivers would have done fine at South Carolina, but would have continued to be behind Cooke and Beal and competing with Hall and I supppose Amihere as a Sophomore. However, Its not like she wasn't getting playing time as a freshman.

She ended up coming off the bench at NC State anyway.

It worked out ok for everyone so wish her the best. I was sad she left.
Oh I was sad to see her leave also, had huge expectations for her. She was 1-36 from 3 as a fresh and not much better from 2 pt land tbh, she just needed a place where she was going to get extended minutes to develop through her issues and needed a team where she could be the focal point eventually to hit her groove on the court. That probably was never gonna happen at SC with so many good players. Like you said, it worked out best for all involved. I still enjoy following her career, watched almost all of her games last season and this. I pull for her.

Reaction Score
Side note, after the SEC teams started off so poorly in OOC play in week one, the worm seems to slowly be turning now.
The losses of the better teams were all pretty respectable teams. I guess UGA had the worst one.

Reaction Score
Oh I was sad to see her leave also, had huge expectations for her. She was 1-36 from 3 as a fresh and not much better from 2 pt land tbh, she just needed a place where she was going to get extended minutes to develop through her issues and needed a team where she could be the focal point eventually to hit her groove on the court. That probably was never gonna happen at SC with so many good players. Like you said, it worked out best for all involved.

she came off bench at NC State and didn't shoot much better.

She could have potentially done the same in Columbia. Dawn put her in tight games in the tournament, so it's not like she was shelved.

Might not have quite liked the situation and that's ok.

Reaction Score
PaoPao and Tess Johnson both out tonight. Fulwiley May see her first game of extended minutes, could be exciting (Should be). Hoping Feagin gets a long look tonight also, only 9 players dressing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom