Week 10 - Jan 8 to 14 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Week 10 - Jan 8 to 14

Reaction Score
Speaking of guard play for LSU, they were 0-2 from outside. Can anyone remember a game where a top ten team failed to hit a three pointer, let alone one that only attempted it twice? Has to be one of the most bizarre stats I've seen in a while.
South Carolina went 0-2 from three in the 2017 national title game, I believe. (LSU is actually composed quite comparably to that team - a standalone anchor inside surrounded by athletic wings with limited perimeter shooting).

Reaction Score
Pretty dominating win by TAMU over the Vols. Maintained a double digit lead the entire 2nd half.
Vols are in some trouble. They’ve already played KY Aub Fla which are 3 of the worst In the league.
An 8-8 season is not out of the question.

Next 7 games are all tossups, 3 home/4 road. If they don’t go 5-2, calls for Harper’s head will spiral and the program will probably be engulfed in drama.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Juju's FG% hasn't been great in some recent games, but she gets to the foul line plenty. Still scoring big even when she isn't hitting much from the floor.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would hate to be in the crowd for that USC game.... that in game announcer and all of that music is annoying

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
He's not used to actually having a crowd to annoy

cold-blooded-dave-chappelle-rick-james-morale-patch-morale-patches-redheaded-t-shirts-529770_4...jpg

Reaction Score
South Carolina went 0-2 from three in the 2017 national title game, I believe. (LSU is actually composed quite comparably to that team - a standalone anchor inside surrounded by athletic wings with limited perimeter shooting).
South Carolina went 0-3 from three in that game, but they won by 12 and didn't really need threes. Kaela Davis (35 percent that season) and Allisha Gray (32 percent) were at least a notch above "limited" from long range. But your point about roster construction is a good one.

Reaction Score
My rankings
  1. SC
  2. Iowa
  3. UCLA
  4. NC St
  5. Colorado
  6. USC
  7. Kan St
  8. Stanford
  9. LSU
  10. Baylor
  11. Texas
  12. UConn
  13. Va Tech
  14. Louisville
  15. Gonzaga
  16. Ohio St
LSU loses to an unranked team and only drops 2 spaces? I think they belong below tOSU at least.

And really, Stanford, LSU, Baylor, Texas, Va Tech and UCLA all lose this weekend and other than Texas they have no excuses, like injuries, to mitigate it. At least some of them lost to ranked teams. And Stanford probably should have lost to Utah as well, but for some dubious officiating.

I'd approach re-ranking starting from this reality. Baylor Texas LSU all belong lower than UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no formula for how much a team should rise or drop based on a game outcome. I evaluate each team and decide who I think is next best.
I tend to underreact to any one game result.
Fair enough. But I don't think this is really a one game result for LSU. This has been in the making for a couple weeks with uninspiring results against much weaker programs.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
The scheduling was a bit unkind to MSU in the sense that they play Iowa, Ohio State and Indiana each on the road, but OSU is the only one of those 3 that they get to play at home.
I mean they also only have to play Maryland at home as well, a game they already won. When the conference made the schedule I assume Maryland was expected to be squarely in that top tier like usual. Last year MSU only played Iowa and Indiana once each (and beat Indiana), and both were in East Lansing. It all evens out over the years.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well now. Five top 25 teams lost this week (Baylor x2). Three games left today, and another nine tomorrow. Should be an interesting AP poll on Monday, depending on what shakes out.
Adding on, IN yesterday, VA Tech, Stanford, LSU, UCLA

Reaction Score
Vols are in some trouble. They’ve already played KY Aub Fla which are 3 of the worst In the league.
An 8-8 season is not out of the question.

Next 7 games are all tossups, 3 home/4 road. If they don’t go 5-2, calls for Harper’s head will spiral and the program will probably be engulfed in drama.
Texas A&M has amassed some talent. The victory over Tennessee doesn’t surprise but that margin does.

Reaction Score
I'd approach re-ranking starting from this reality. Baylor Texas LSU all belong lower than UConn.
I could see that. The problem is that I'm not convinced any team outside of the top 7 is particularly good.

UConn's main weakness -- rebounding -- isn't going to cause big problems in the big east, but remains a longterm concern. Getting outrebounded by 17 to Georgetown is a major issue going forward.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
UCLA goes down ...

Rankings should be interesting tomorrow!
I don't think UCLA should be penalized much for losing a somewhat close game to a great team that they already beat once. Betts was also sick (not even in the starting lineup) so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd keep them at #2.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think UCLA should be penalized much for losing a somewhat close game to a great team that they already beat once. Betts was also sick (not even in the starting lineup) so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd keep them at #2.
Betts being sick but playing trumps Marshall not playing at all for USC, so there's that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom