Week 1 preview (Nov. 9-14) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Week 1 preview (Nov. 9-14)

Reaction Score
Burrell with a lower leg injury. Didnt look that bad but then couldnt put any pressure on it getting off the floor.

Reaction Score
I hope she is okay but Tennessee can not afford to lose Burrell, would impact their season drastically without her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Syracuse looked awful early, not surprising given pretty much the whole team is new, and an interim first time HC I think. They got rolling, then had a 4 minute scoring drought while Monmouth chipped away at the lead. Then the Orange went on a run to end the half, up big now. Monmouth looks pretty awful.

Reaction Score
Hogs win by 52, got everyone a decent number of minutes, which is good because they have 3 games in 5 days, culminating in the road game vs UConn. Above comment about bad early shooting was spot on. Ramirez was scoreless, but only took 4 shots all game (didn't play much), and honestly didn't seem to be looking for her shot at all. Jersey looked very good sometimes, but also like the trajectory on her shot was way off sometimes (much too flat). Will have to get that more consistent.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't know if I've ever seen a team as hot from 3 as Pepperdine was in the 1st half vs. UCLA. They hit 12 of 13 triples in that half alone, accounting for 36 of their 42 points (score was tied at the half).

Ilmar'ii Thomas, last year's AAC player of the year, took full advantage of her extra COVID year to transfer to UCLA, and she carried the Bruins especially in the 1st half when Pepperdine couldn't miss from deep.

Also transferring to UCLA is Jaelynn Penn from Indiana, a very solid off guard.

UCLA has to get some players healthy. They had more players inactive on the bench than available to play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't know if I've ever seen a team as hot from 3 as Pepperdine was in the 1st half vs. UCLA. They hit 12 of 13 triples in that half alone, accounting for 36 of their 42 points (score was tied at the half).

Ilmar'ii Thomas, last year's AAC player of the year, took full advantage of her extra COVID year to transfer to UCLA, and she carried the Bruins especially in the 1st half when Pepperdine couldn't miss from deep.

UCLA has to get some players healthy. They had more players inactive on the bench than available to play.
I watched this whole game and I had to turn the sound off as those two announcers were oblivious about how bad the play was. Pepperdine is voted to finish 9th in their conference and I don’t think they had a player taller than 6’1” on the floor. I get that UCLA has lots of Injuries but jeesh, this team was a mess. They did interview Cori Close during the game and she said Charisma Osborne is the best guard in the country except for Paige Bueckers.

Reaction Score

Was UCLA defending the three or backed up in a zone and giving it to Pepperdine?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Was UCLA defending the three or backed up in a zone and giving it to Pepperdine?

I don't think they were intending to "give" it to them. Wasn't watching closely (kinda had it on in the background as I worked on my laptop) but my impression was they were caught out of position numerous times, with a lot of 3's in transition, or drive and kick, or offensive rebound scramble and kick. Stedman and Bambrick had a very quick catch and shoot and hit numerous shots with a player closing fast.

I watched this whole game and I had to turn the sound off as those two announcers were oblivious about how bad the play was. Pepperdine is voted to finish 9th in their conference and I don’t think they had a player taller than 6’1” on the floor. I get that UCLA has lots of Injuries but jeesh, this team was a mess. They did interview Cori Close during the game and she said Charisma Osborne is the best guard in the country except for Paige Bueckers.

What I can't stand about these conference-centric networks is how they act more as cheerleaders and PR agencies than honest broadcast journalism outlets. The hyperbole is nonstop about how every team and every player is just great great great.

And speaking of hyperbole, yeah my ears perked up at Close's comments on Osborne. Not sure she said "best guard"; I think she said "most versatile and complete guard", which maybe isn't the same? But whatever, she obviously went to the Muffett McGraw school of overhyping your own players to the annoyance of anyone with half a brain :D At least she had the good sense to not put her above Paige.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm tired of coaches claiming their player is the "best" _______, and the WBB season just started! There are so many great guards in WBB, and, in the case of 4/5's, the new Baylor coach's statement before the last Baylor game re: NaLyssa Smith was just as "wrong" as "annoying".

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UT Arlington having no problem moving the ball inside on Baylor
Baylor up 14-12 at first media TO
All of UTA baskets are in the paint, plus 2FT's

Reaction Score
Baylor trying to play a WNBA team this year, launch a bunch of 3's and play suspect defense.

Do they not know what the strength of this team is?

Reaction Score
Baylor and UT Arlington now tied at 30-30 a piece at media timeout in 2Q.

I am actually impressed with UT Arlington's ball movement. Not sure what happened to Baylor defensively. They were suspect offensively over the years but I havent seen a D like this before.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Baylor would have clobbered both of these opponents under Mulkey. They obviously aren't quite as loaded talent-wise as they have been but, wow, does coaching make a difference.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Notre Dame up an unimpressive 11 at half.

They had a solid first quarter against Western Illinois followed by a very bad second where they were outplayed and outscored.

Not doing a very good job of connecting on either open 3s or offensive rebound putbacks both of which have been plentiful.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame up an unimpressive 11 at half.

They had a solid first quarter against Western Illinois followed by a very bad second where they were outplayed and outscored.

Not doing a very good job of connecting on either open 3s or offensive rebound putbacks both of which have been plentiful.
True. ND not shooting well at all. From either outside or on putbacks. They're really fortunate that they have a huge height advantage over W. Illinois. ND outrebounded W.I. by 2 to 1 in the first half.
ND also very loose with their passing. They won't have trouble beating a team Massey has ranked over 200, but, so far, not very impressive.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Baylor would have clobbered both of these opponents under Mulkey. They obviously aren't quite as loaded talent-wise as they have been but, wow, does coaching make a difference.
Collen was such a head scratching move. There had to be much better options.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Collen was such a head scratching move. There had to be much better options.
Baylor has clamped down the defense in 3Q. 51-35 mid way in 3Q. Helped by Tex. Arlington trying to drive into the teeth of the defense and getting swatted / deflected fueling transition

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Westbeld is racking up the rebounds for ND, 16 and still in Q3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom