Week 1 preview (Nov. 9-14) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Week 1 preview (Nov. 9-14)

Reaction Score
Watched the game. Really impressed byCoach Novak, he is involved and motivating. I especially was impressed by the calm demeanor he displayed even when the team play was not going well. MSST team chemistry between the coach and players is a pleasant surprise. My major concern is the lack of size hopefully J Carter will rejoin the team soon in decent shape and can blend in without disruptIng the team chemistry.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised with a couple of things: 1-How well the team has responded to him. They play hard and seem to be having fun. 2-How well he makes adjustments during a game. A couple of times you could see some frustration on the players but they always seemed to come back to center.

Reaction Score
Congrats Coach Marisa and getting that first win of the year! Coach Shea, wishing her all the best at Vandy. Tough loss. But we know that you will get that Vandy program turned around.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall lost to Fordham 82-63. Sidney Cooks had a nice debut with 21 points and 9 rebounds on 10-15 shooting, but had 7 turnovers. Lauren Park-Lane really struggled shooting from the floor shooting 5-19 FG.

Dingle and Heremaia had really strong games for Fordham.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seton Hall lost to Fordham 82-63. Sidney Cooks had a nice debut with 21 points and 9 rebounds on 10-15 shooting, but had 7 turnovers. Lauren Park-Lane really struggled shooting from the floor shooting 5-19 FG.

Dingle and Heremaia had really strong games for Fordham.
I caught part of the second half. Fordham has three really nice players. Heremaia was 8-11 on 3 pointers and led all scorers with 29. Asiah Dingle is a transfer from Stony Brook where she was their top scorer last year. Anna DeWolfe, a preseason A-10 First Team selection, also had a good game.

Cooks and Espinoza-Hunter had good games, but between Park-Lane's cold shooting and the lack of help outside of those 3 (all others had 7 points combined), Seton Hall couldn't stay with Fordham. It was a 2-point game late in 3Q and then Fordham scored 31 points over the next 10 minutes to make it a blowout.

Reaction Score
I’ve been pleasantly surprised with a couple of things: 1-How well the team has responded to him. They play hard and seem to be having fun. 2-How well he makes adjustments during a game. A couple of times you could see some frustration on the players but they always seemed to come back to center.
Yes, a coach can really make a difference both positive and negative. Coach Novak appears to be use team and individual player pride rather than intimidation and fear. I had a coach like that in high school and he got more out of me than I knew I had. We may have lucked into a coach that can get us back to Vic days. Fan support needs to increase because the guys are really giving the effort.

Reaction Score
Yes, a coach can really make a difference both positive and negative. Coach Novak appears to be use team and individual player pride rather than intimidation and fear. I had a coach like that in high school and he got more out of me than I knew I had. We may have lucked into a coach that can get us back to Vic days. Fan support needs to increase because the guys are really giving the effort.
I understand what you are saying. In fairness to Coach McCray-Penson the players she brought in are contributing big time. Anastasia Hayes is an assassin and J Jordan brings a toughness. Hayes is a great contrast to the steadiness of M Taylor.
I still want to see how Coach Novak does over the course of the season. However so far I really like what I’m seeing. Last night SDS was inverting the offense and isolating their larger guards in the posts against the smaller guards. Coach Novak made a great adjustment to negate that play. I also like assitant Coach Benton’s energy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Utah seems to be putting last year's disappointing season way in the rear view mirror. At the half, they are on pace to score triple digits for the 2nd game in a row. Opponents haven't been top notch, but it certainly looks like a very different version of the Utes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Damn, and I thought UConn fans were bad about jumping to rash grand conclusions after just a single game.
Can you imagine what would happen if UConn had a game where they committed 36 TOs and had no FG for an 8 1/2 minute stretch? The world would probably end.

Reaction Score
Just watched the end of the Toledo - Wright State game. They had a good crowd and that was nice to see. Toledo seemed to be playing some good basketball, but I don't know much about the team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just watched the end of the Toledo - Wright State game. They had a good crowd and that was nice to see. Toledo seemed to be playing some good basketball, but I don't know much about the team.
Wight St. and Milwaukee have both started out 0-2. Gotta be considered fairly disappointing for 2 of the better teams in the Horizon last season.

Reaction Score
I think Lousville was ranked too high this year. Probably because the beat Oregon last year in the tourney. Oregon was very short handed especially at the guard position which was tailor made for Louivelle. Even with that favorable match up and some really bad foul calls that took out Sabbaly, Oregon almost still beat them. I think Louisvelle was over rated rather than Arizona not being rated high enough. All things considered Arizonal was where they should have been until they proved other wise. Of course beating Louisvelle should raise them up somewhat.

Reaction Score
Watched the game. Really impressed byCoach Novak, he is involved and motivating. I especially was impressed by the calm demeanor he displayed even when the team play was not going well. MSST team chemistry between the coach and players is a pleasant surprise. My major concern is the lack of size hopefully J Carter will rejoin the team soon in decent shape and can blend in without disruptIng the team chemistry.
It was a dramatic difference from the MSU team I watched last year. They looked motivated and hungry, played very hard throughout the game. Last year the intensity definitely wasn't there.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I went to Tudor Fieldhouse last night to watch a new-look Rice team host the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana. I was curious to see how the defending WNIT champs looked after their star players and head coach all departed. Plus I'm a secondary fan of ULL.

Rice hired its new coach, Lindsay Edmonds, from NC State, where she spent 8 years as an assistant to Wes Moore. I'm curious if @LETTERL can provide any insights and impressions about Edmonds' time there. I'm also wondering if @triaddukefan remembers Edmonds from her playing days at Appalachian State (she was then known as Lindsay Smith).

Edmonds has her work cut out for her, I'd say. She has an 11-player roster of mostly freshmen and sophomores, with only one starter and a few bench players from last year's team.

Rice led by 8-12 points for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters, before Louisiana used a full court press in 4Q to completely alter the momentum. Rice is sorely missing a true point guard and they will have nightmares about their inability to break the ULL pressure. The Ragin' Cajuns found the hot hand and seemingly could not miss in 4Q: they shot an incredible 10 of 11 FG and 3 of 4 from 3FG, which included a 4-point play.

We'll see if ULL can draw momentum from their inspired comeback next week, when they make the trek from Lafayette to Baton Rouge to face the snooty ritzy resource-hogging state flagship university (did I get that right, @triaddukefan :D ).

Reaction Score
I'm watching the Syracuse- Notre Dame game. I don't understand Ivey's strategy.
Westbeld scores the first 6 points for ND and she gets substituted for 3:40 into the game with 1 personal foul. Any explanations ?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm watching the Syracuse- Notre Dame game. I don't understand Ivey's strategy.
Westbeld scores the first 6 points for ND and she gets substituted for 3:40 into the game with 1 personal foul. Any explanations ?
I've noticed an increasing number of coaches are sitting players after their 1st foul if it's early to middle of 1st quarter, much they often sit players after their 2nd foul in the first half. Wes Moore of NC State did this with Elissa Cunane in the 1st quarter of the S. Carolina game.

Reaction Score
I've noticed an increasing number of coaches are sitting players after their 1st foul if it's early to middle of 1st quarter, much they often sit players after their 2nd foul in the first half. Wes Moore of NC State did this with Elissa Cunane in the 1st quarter of the S. Carolina game.
I think she has 2 fouls now. 14 turnovers by ND before the half..

The Terps are famous for doing this. When someone commits a foul in the first quarter, they immediately go to the bench.

Reaction Score
According to the ESPN boxscore, Westbeld only has 1 foul yet only played about 8 minutes in the first half. She was on the bench when Syracuse went on their run to get back into the game in the second quarter.
Overall, very sloppy game with a combined 27 turnovers in the first half. Syracuse shooting 19% on fg's yet are only down 6 at halftime.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I went to Tudor Fieldhouse last night to watch a new-look Rice team host the Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana. I was curious to see how the defending WNIT champs looked after their star players and head coach all departed. Plus I'm a secondary fan of ULL.

Rice hired its new coach, Lindsay Edmonds, from NC State, where she spent 8 years as an assistant to Wes Moore. I'm curious if @LETTERL can provide any insights and impressions about Edmonds' time there. I'm also wondering if @triaddukefan remembers Edmonds from her playing days at Appalachian State (she was then known as Lindsay Smith).

We'll see if ULL can draw momentum from their inspired comeback next week, when they make the trek from Lafayette to Baton Rouge to face the snooty ritzy resource-hogging state flagship university (did I get that right, @triaddukefan :D ).

1) i don't recall Lindsay Smith playing at App State

2) LSU is one of those schools (like Arizona, UConn, Wisconsin) that is both the flagship AND the land-grant.... so they get ALL of the resources. But yeah... its one of those little sister vs big sister matchups..... ULL will be fired up for sure.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2) LSU is one of those schools (like Arizona, UConn, Wisconsin) that is both the flagship AND the land-grant.... so they get ALL of the resources. But yeah... its one of those little sister vs big sister matchups..... ULL will be fired up for sure.
Can we throw out the record books?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A interesting game to keep an eye on is Belmont vs Ga Tech.. starting up at 2pm

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
USC always seems to have at least one head scratching loss in OOC. Are they trying to get it out of the way early this year? Up 4 at the half against Virginia. Before the game I wouldn't have expected them to have much trouble in this one.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if i went into the chat room now and started talking about the Duke-UNCW game :eek::eek:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if i went into the chat room now and started talking about the Duke-UNCW game :eek::eek:
I dare you!

Probably there are so many comments about the other game that your commentary would instantly get buried.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom