We need a new coach | Page 15 | The Boneyard

We need a new coach

Reaction Score
Calhoun lives nearby and unlike another coach, Hurley actually welcomes him to practice when he occasionally drops in.
Tom Moore is on staff and would either become a head coach when Hurley left or be part of a package deal.
Tom Moore has never accomplished anything. URI could do better.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Tom Moore has never accomplished anything. URI could do better.
He’s coached under some pretty impressive names, didn’t do too bad at QU either.

Plus he’ll always be part of Calhoun’s inner circle. Getting free advice from the best can be nice.

Reaction Score
He’s coached under some pretty impressive names, didn’t do too bad at QU either.

Plus he’ll always be part of Calhoun’s inner circle. Getting free advice from the best can be nice.
He got fired at QU. He is not he answer.

C

Chief00

He got fired at QU. He is not he answer.
So you would exclude anyone who has ever been fire, from being an assistant coach at UConn. Let’s see Hobbs got fired at GW, Blaney got fired at Satan Hall, Miller from Penn, etc.

Reaction Score
So you would exclude anyone who has ever been fire, from being an assistant coach at UConn. Let’s see Hobbs got fired at GW, Blaney got fired at Satan Hall, Miller from Penn, etc.

I think he's talking about the head job at URI not the assistant at UC?

He'd be a welcome asst if they bring in Hurley from my point of view.

Reaction Score

Mau are you officially on the bandwagon that Ollie must go?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is sooooo much smoke here
Yes, quite a bit of smoke.

I personally have no problem with the idea of a coaching change. What I don't understand is why so many want to discredit anything positive that KO did accomplish while he had the job.

Winning a national title, even with a team favored by most to do so (the 2014 wasn't by the way) isn't an easy task. I remember a couple of JC teams that should have made a run a game or two longer than they did and the same can be said for many hall of fame coaches. Believing that anyone could have coached the 2014 team to the title is ridiculous. Believing that you cannot give KO credit for that and also criticize the past few seasons is childish.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Satan Hall?

That's not a nice day to refer to the alma mater of potentially our next head coach.

PS - this was a joke. Often you don't realize.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes, quite a bit of smoke.

I personally have no problem with the idea of a coaching change. What I don't understand is why so many want to discredit anything positive that KO did accomplish while he had the job.

Winning a national title, even with a team favored by most to do so (the 2014 wasn't by the way) isn't an easy task. I remember a couple of JC teams that should have made a run a game or two longer than they did and the same can be said for many hall of fame coaches. Believing that anyone could have coached the 2014 team to the title is ridiculous. Believing that you cannot give KO credit for that and also criticize the past few seasons is childish.
Just speaking for myself, it gets harder to credit KO for brilliant coaching in 2013 and 14 when there hasn't been any evidence of it since then. So people start poking at that accomplishment, and try to either rationalize it or explain it away. I guess the simplest answer may apply here: he only believes in one style of offense, and feels validated because it worked so well in 2014. He will stick with it no matter what advice he gets and how ill-suited the players are to run it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
There is some truth to that but the bulk of it is that he is a far different person on many levels and that has altered the on court results tremendously.

What many current players do on court is not what was drawn up. The blame goes to the coach for a couple of yeats of not really holding anyone accountable (including himself), but his offense isn't merely kill most of the shot clock and hoist a wild three.

Also, I hate trying to type from a smartphone.

C

Chief00

Satan Hall?

That's not a nice day to refer to the alma mater of potentially our next head coach.

PS - this was a joke. Often you don't realize.

Oh I don’t know - that’s what Blaney called it after being fired - LOL

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

At least a Tom Moore team gets on the offensive glass. Some semblance of an identity.

Better than: Imtramural team that threatens to forfeit most game because it doesn’t have 5 players.
I agree he’d be a good assistant. I was surprised to see URI has been struggling at rebounding the last few years. Even with Hassan Martin.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is some truth to that but the bulk of it is that he is a far different person on many levels and that has altered the on court results tremendously.

What many current players do on court is not what was drawn up. The blame goes to the coach for a couple of yeats of not really holding anyone accountable (including himself), but his offense isn't merely kill most of the shot clock and hoist a wild three.

Also, I hate trying to type from a smartphone.

I have no problem giving him credit where due. But I also think he had considerable help in those first two years. He had players who had been recruited by JC and played under him. Calhoun was a regular at practices. He had experienced former head coaches in Blaney and Hobbs on the bench. Since then he's been on his own, and as he has brought in more people who support his own vision for the team, the team has gotten worse and worse.

He's a UConn legend. I don't want to view him negatively. I want him to have great success as an NBA assistant and maybe eventual head coach. He's just not the guy for this job. I have to believe that he recognizes that himself.

Reaction Score
No I would exclude anyone for HC without a successful resume. And I wouldn't hire Hobbs, Miller or Blaney either. Moore as an assistant would be fine.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I have no problem giving him credit where due. But I also think he had considerable help in those first two years. He had players who had been recruited by JC and played under him. Calhoun was a regular at practices. He had experienced former head coaches in Blaney and Hobbs on the bench. Since then he's been on his own, and as he has brought in more people who support his own vision for the team, the team has gotten worse and worse.
This is true. I also think it's true to say that KO has only one gameplan – put the ball in the hands of shot creators, have them use a ton of clock, and let them go to work. We don't (and haven't) run any actions. It's all just "spread the floor, penetrate and hopefully score or kick for a 3 while using as much of the shot clock as possible in order to limit the number of possessions."

When you have Bazz and Boat taking turns with that, and when you have a pair of 40% do-everything forwards in DeAndre & Niels, it's a great gameplan. When you don't have that exact, specific mix of talent, it's limited.

BTW, go back and watch that 2014 run again. If we have a 30-second shot clock instead of 35, we don't make it to the second weekend. Whether it was by design or not Ollie was brilliant to have us just pound the ball that long pretty much every possession because it always took our opponents out of their rhythm and it shortened the game.

He did a great job in 2014. Wish he'd taken the Lakers job right after, tho.

Reaction Score
I agree he’d be a good assistant. I was surprised to see URI has been struggling at rebounding the last few years. Even with Hassan Martin.

They're tiny quite often with the 5 they have on the floor. As stated by whaler they scrap like hell though but hard to have a bunch of 6' to 6'6 guys out there and win all of those battles. I'm sure being at UConn they could get better bigs LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is true. I also think it's true to say that KO has only one gameplan – put the ball in the hands of shot creators, have them use a ton of clock, and let them go to work. We don't (and haven't) run any actions. It's all just "spread the floor, penetrate and hopefully score or kick for a 3 while using as much of the shot clock as possible in order to limit the number of possessions."

When you have Bazz and Boat taking turns with that, and when you have a pair of 40% do-everything forwards in DeAndre & Niels, it's a great gameplan. When you don't have that exact, specific mix of talent, it's limited.

BTW, go back and watch that 2014 run again. If we have a 30-second shot clock instead of 35, we don't make it to the second weekend. Whether it was by design or not Ollie was brilliant to have us just pound the ball that long pretty much every possession because it always took our opponents out of their rhythm and it shortened the game.

He did a great job in 2014. Wish he'd taken the Lakers job right after, tho.
That’s a great point about the 30 second shot clock. I can visualize KO being told the clock was changing to 30 seconds and immediately making the fart face we often see on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom