We need a new coach | Page 14 | The Boneyard

We need a new coach

Reaction Score
Miller or Mack????

WOW !!! People really think you have even the slightest chance??

Now I see how delusional some of this fanbase is...

Thanks for the laugh this morning....

You suck at reading.

Reaction Score
There’s no longer any argument against firing Kevin Ollie - at least not one that makes any sense.

We’re legitimately a bottom-third team in the American. There’s no excuse for that. People want to go to the Big East? As presently constituted, there isn’t a team in that conference we’d be favored to beat. If we were lucky, we’d steal wins at home against DePaul and maybe St. John’s.

The program is a farrago of misery and it’s all a direct result of the head coach’s incompetence or neglect or a combination of the two...

Recruiting - bad.
Player development - bad.
On court success - bad.
Off court avoidance of the NCAA - bad.
Public perception - bad.

A Tulsa writer punked the program today and people got their undies in a knot over it - if anything, the guy pulled his punches. Tulsa is something like 5-2 against us. Frank Haith is not a good head coach, but he’ll beat Kevin Ollie with Tulsa’s players and if you switched teams, he’ll beat Kevin Ollie again with UConn’s players.

He’s just a bad head coach and he’s a bad program manager - if it weren’t for the poison pill of a contract we have with him, there’d be no question Ollie would be fired at the end of the season. None.

Even so, he’s gotta go.
I don’t think other div 1 coaches of note will be begging for this job. It is no longer a premiere program in a premiere league.

Reaction Score
Calhoun won 3 National Championships in 13 seasons. Nobody else won as many in that same span. When he retired the roster was loaded with guys like Napier, Giffey, Daniels, and Boatright. When Kromah joined them as a grad transfer that made for a very impressive core. We have not had a team that talented since. That much is undisputed, or at least it should be. There are over 300 D1 teams competing for one trophy. I would hope that you would realize that winning 3 of them in 13 seasons is phenomenal, and setting the table to win a 4th is even more fantastic.
No no, I totally get that. I meant it in a sarcastic tone, sorry for the disconnect. Was more of a response to whoever I was replying to.

C

Chief00

I posted a gag post about a month ago about the "positives" of Pitino coming to coach UConn.

I had to take a shower immediately after hitting the post button.

The slime still hasn't washed off...

I am pretty much a find a way to win guy - however I will draw that Pitino line. We can’t make the Werth building an EPA toxic super fund site.

Reaction Score
No no, I totally get that. I meant it in a sarcastic tone, sorry for the disconnect. Was more of a response to whoever I was replying to.

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent. Enjoy the rest of the games.

Reaction Score
I just want the program to move on from something that clearly is not working.

Forget all these fire Ollie threads and long diatribes about "we suck" that get posted every other day ad nauseaum. This one sentence sums it all up perfectly. Nuff said.

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley, Rhode Island: The perceived favorite at UConn if Kevin Ollie is shown the door—Hurley has Jim Calhoun’s seal of approval, for what that’s worth—the sixth-year Rhode Island coach is in no rush to jump ship (just ask Rutgers!) and is signed thru 2023-24. That’s not going to stop boatloads of high-majors and once-proud programs from hitting his cellular, however. The Rams are 22-4, 14-1 in league play, and recently reeled off 16 straight wins. At the command is a 45-year-old firecracker quickly mounting the school he loves to the class of the Atlantic 10. It must be nice being Hurley right about now, as he has all the leverage in the (college hoops) world.

Heat Check, Part II: Which Coaches Could Use March as Springboard for Promotion? | Zagsblog

How do Zagoria and McCurry know that Hurley has JC's seal of approval? Why would Calhoun ever go on record about replacing Ollie at this point? Hmmmm.

Reaction Score
It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that Calhoun would say that. He was probably asked the question, if Kevin Ollie leaves at the end of the year, what are your feelings on Danny Hurley, to which he likely replied Danny’s a great coach and I think he would be a great coach at Connecticut or wherever he decides to go. I don’t think there’s much more to read out of it than that.

I also think it’s becoming a foregone conclusion that there will be a coaching change at the end of the season so it’s not totally earth shattering. I just hope if Danny Hurley does coach here, it works out this time. This program can’t sustain taking these types of losing seasons and no postseason play from much longer.

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley, Rhode Island: The perceived favorite at UConn if Kevin Ollie is shown the door—Hurley has Jim Calhoun’s seal of approval, for what that’s worth—the sixth-year Rhode Island coach is in no rush to jump ship (just ask Rutgers!) and is signed thru 2023-24. That’s not going to stop boatloads of high-majors and once-proud programs from hitting his cellular, however. The Rams are 22-4, 14-1 in league play, and recently reeled off 16 straight wins. At the command is a 45-year-old firecracker quickly mounting the school he loves to the class of the Atlantic 10. It must be nice being Hurley right about now, as he has all the leverage in the (college hoops) world.

Heat Check, Part II: Which Coaches Could Use March as Springboard for Promotion? | Zagsblog

How do Zagoria and McCurry know that Hurley has JC's seal of approval? Why would Calhoun ever go on record about replacing Ollie at this point? Hmmmm.

Its true but personally I really don't care about Calhoun's seal of approval. Good luck at Saint Joes (or whatever). Also I have been high on Hurley the last couple years. Having said that they could be knocked out in the 1st game of the tournament or pull a FF run depending on match-ups. How they do in the tournament matters to me. He has a rep for tightening up...so regardless watching this super talented back court try to survive and advance in March to me will be one of the most interesting story lines.

Last year they beat a banged up Creighton without Watson before going blow for blow with FF team Oregon. I personally think this URI is FF dangerous with FIVE key seniors in the rotation. Hassan Martin was scoreless vs. Oregon last year so basically they have back this year that same team minus Kuran.

KP @ 31 is nothing special.

Reaction Score

Tom Moore would know if JC approves. Tom Moore is our Ben Franklin in France.

Reaction Score
When KO started, his greatest asset was his ability to relate to his players. There was no one better. NBA players were actively endorsing him. That is the irony of his downfall. He is still very bad at the things he was always very bad at. He is now very bad at the things he was once the best at.

Reaction Score
I think KO will one day come to realization that he wasn't prepared to replaced JC and run a top program in the long run. Yes he had short term success but being able to sustain it especially with key members of his coaching staff gone and lack of coaching was going to be hard for him to sustain it. I still can see the similarities to Indiana's Mike Davis and how he felt he wasn't prepared to fully take over the program even to this day back then.

Mike Davis is still nervous about replacing Bob Knight

Reaction Score
I think KO will one day come to realization that he wasn't prepared to replaced JC and run a top program in the long run. Yes he had short term success but being able to sustain it especially with key members of his coaching staff gone and lack of coaching was going to be hard for him to sustain it. I still can see the similarities to Indiana's Mike Davis and how he felt he wasn't prepared to fully take over the program even to this day back then.

Mike Davis is still nervous about replacing Bob Knight

The Mike Davis parallels are interesting, although Davis had a ton of asst coaching experience when he was "promoted to replace Knight. He went to the national championship game in his second season, I believe. Then it was all mediocrity and losing records after that. I believe Davis now makes 200k as head coach of Texas Southern. I always thought more highly of him than that despite his not flourishing at Indiana.

C

Chief00

Calhoun lives nearby and unlike another coach, Hurley actually welcomes him to practice when he occasionally drops in.
Tom Moore is on staff and would either become a head coach when Hurley left or be part of a package deal.

Reaction Score

There is sooooo much smoke here

Reaction Score
The Mike Davis parallels are interesting, although Davis had a ton of asst coaching experience when he was "promoted to replace Knight. He went to the national championship game in his second season, I believe. Then it was all mediocrity and losing records after that. I believe Davis now makes 200k as head coach of Texas Southern. I always thought more highly of him than that despite his not flourishing at Indiana.
Yeah, it was his second year he got to the championship game against Maryland after upsetting Duke(Us Kentucky) along the way. So definitely some parallels LOL. He actually got to the NCAA tourney 2 of the next 4 years but only made it to the round of 32 and the middle two years were right about .500 ball. He just felt he wasn't the right man to lead Indiana forward and resigned. Of course no coach has met those lofty expectations of Bobby Knight since. I don't think anybody here is expecting JC 2 but at least a decent coach who can have us competing for top in the AAC and a bid in the NCAA tourney. The glory days of old are probably over but we can play at a higher level with the right coach who has some proven success as head man there.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was his second year he got to the championship game against Maryland after upsetting Duke(Us Kentucky) along the way. So definitely some parallels LOL. He actually got to the NCAA tourney 2 of the next 4 years but only made it to the round of 32 and the middle two years were right about .500 ball. He just felt he wasn't the right man to lead Indiana forward and resigned. Of course no coach has met those lofty expectations of Bobby Knight since. I don't think anybody here is expecting JC 2 but at least a decent coach who can have us competing for top in the AAC and a bid in the NCAA tourney. The glory days of old are probably over but we can play at a higher level with the right coach who has some proven success as head man there.

Stated very kindly and accurately. JC2 isn't out there, most likely. But tourney caliber teams shouldn't be the occasional luxury. I just want a dog in the hunt, not irrelevancy.

Reaction Score
Calhoun lives nearby and unlike another coach, Hurley actually welcomes him to practice when he occasionally drops in.
Tom Moore is on staff and would either become a head coach when Hurley left or be part of a package deal.
I'd be on board with Tom Moore coming back to UConn as the top assistant. I'm sure he would rather be a head coach some where but his family is still in Tolland and the pay as a top assistant at UConn is probably about the same as a head coach at a low major (like Quinnipiac). Hurley/Moore for 2018. I'll support that.

Reaction Score

If you connect all the dots it's kind of an amazing story, but that may just be speculating. These certainly are interesting times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom