We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We didn't add anyone from the portal, but... (and it's a big BUT)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Picasso? Sistine Chapel? Who the heck are you quoting, Yogi didn’t know Paige, did he?
Evidently, Michelangelo didn’t get around to finishing the ceiling, so a couple hundred years later, the Pope called over to Spain to ask Picasso to do some touch up work. Considering that Picasso was both an avowed atheist and communist, it was nice of Pablo to finish up one of the most religious frescoes in all of Christianity…:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't understand why a healthy Paige would prevent Nika from starting. When Paige and Nika were freshmen (2020-2021) Geno put Nika in the starting lineup halfway through the season. I recall Geno saying Nika made the team better. Nika started 15 games, all of which Paige also started.

What am I missing?
In addition he ultimately made Nika the principle ballhandler late in that season. It didn't start that way when they were together. Initially Paige was at the point and Nika was often hanging out in the corner as a spot up 3pt shooter. That use of the two didn't work very well and he switched Nika to the point most of the time, and the results were better. Geno has already tried it both ways and liked Nika at the point better when both were in the game.

Reaction Score
You say that you don't want KK taking shots away from Paige, but if KK enters the game it will probably be to replace Paige or Nika at the PG position.
KK wouldn't be taking shots away from Paige because she would be manufacturing shots by creating diversions for our other shooters if she didn't penetrate or make some shots herself.
Paige is the 1st one to tell teammates that if the ball gets passed to you then shoot it.
That's why the team has rebounders.
It's all about baptism by fire.
Maybe some NIka fans are worried that KK will be too good when she eventually gets to play.
That's food for thought but you know that KK will get multiple chances to display her skills & will score on 3 levels.

I have KK coming in when either UCONN is comfortably ahead or in blowouts. KK is behind Nika. For me that is obvious. And when Paige is the PG, if Nika is not in, then KK is behind Azzi, Caroline, and Aubrey as far as wings go if she is not the pg. At the point she comes in UCONN will be far enough ahead then yes, she can take shots away from Paige and Azzi. Paige and Azzi don’t need to continue to be huge scorers throughout a game when they are over 20 ahead.

You say what Paige says. I'll quote what Geno says. He wants Paige and Azzi to shoot. He wants them to shoot because they are obscenely efficient scorers. When you have efficient scorers, you don’t have to rely on offensive rebounding as much.

It's all about efficiency and performance. Not about "baptism of fire."

And if KK beats out Nika great. Number 1 ranked recruits or near tend to be able to play right away and KK isn't that. If you think KK is going to beat out Nika - more power to you if she is able to outplay this year's version of Nika. But I tend to believe some of you get infatuated with the new toy. I recall a few years ago how many on her were infatuated with Saylor Poffenbarger in that she was going to come in the 2nd half of her H/S year and beat out experienced UCONN players. That never came close to happening. There is too much new toy envy here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Picasso? Sistine Chapel? Who the heck are you quoting, Yogi didn’t know Paige, did he?
It's not my quote. I guess you didn't understand a word I said nor read the thread? :) That's okay.

Read the post on this thread from Alydar. I took the sentence from Alydar.

Reaction Score
The brilliance of Bueckers' play makes any other pure pg look bad, simply due to Bueckers' scoring skills which puts pressure on the defense and gives her teammates more and better looks. A lot of Muhl's to's came trying thread a needle because the defense didn't respect her offense enough. If Muhl can elevate and make 12-15's she would be much more dangerous.

I don't think Muhl is spending her summer building her tic toc audience. I would be shocked if she isn't an even more complete player and a stronger player next season.
A big If. The clock is ticking. She's going into her 4th year at UConn and hasn't developed it yet.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why a healthy Paige would prevent Nika from starting. When Paige and Nika were freshmen (2020-2021) Geno put Nika in the starting lineup halfway through the season. I recall Geno saying Nika made the team better. Nika started 15 games, all of which Paige also started.

What am I missing?
what you are missing is Azzi..... as I said, I don't know what is going to happen... and I love Nika... but I just don't know if she starts next year....

Reaction Score
what you are missing is Azzi..... as I said, I don't know what is going to happen... and I love Nika... but I just don't know if she starts next year....
Has Geno ever moved a three year starter to the bench for their senior season? Let alone one that is the de facto team captain and one of the best defenders in the country, 2nd behind only Caitlin Clark in assists per game, and the 3rd best 3-point shooter on the team?

Reaction Score
It's not my quote. I guess you didn't understand a word I said nor read the thread? :) That's okay.

Read the post on this thread from Alydar. I took the sentence from Alydar.
Frankly I don’t care what you said.

No offense intended. The hilarity of the quote is what caught my eye. I have pondered it many times and it’s going to be one of my favorites It even tops Belushi’s “when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.” Right up there with any of the great Yogiisms.
@Alydar

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m not missing Azzi. Nika started in the same backcourt with Paige and Christyn Williams. Once again, I addressed the point that some have made in this thread that Paige and Nika won’t be in the starting lineup together because they are both point guards. Geno did exactly that 2 years ago.

I don’t particularly care what the starting lineup looks like in November. I want a healthy team and will trust Geno on putting together the lineup.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The point couldn't have been clearer!
Ummm, nope. That point wasn't in there. It had to be read into. Which I admit, I did not do very well.

Reaction Score
UConn looks great on paper. So you're a team that wants to beat them. What do you do? You fill your bench with the best you can find. You plan (and practice accordingly) to play 8, 9, even 10 deep. You plan to be as physical as the refs will allow, and you don't worry about racking up a lot of fouls if the refs call fouls based on the pushing and shoving, because you keep rotating your players; so no one gets in foul trouble. You plan to "hoist 'em up" and crash the boards if the shots don't always go in. And, again, you plan to get very physical under the basket, because, hey, the refs can't call them all.
And... the finese, skilled team loses...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With Paige and/or Azzi on the court, Ashlynn Shade will have a lot of room to operate. No one’s talking about her but she’s another tough-minded, athletic guard that shoots 40% from the perimeter.
Depends on what you mean by athletic. I don't think she's all that athletic in quickness/speed, but I would agree she's athletic in strength/toughness/endurance.

But that's based on what I've seen of her. Which is not a lot. Some, but not a lot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Because she plays the same position as the best player on the team and is a little turnover prone.
Hmmm, The Kid's career numbers at UCONN are 235/102 for a 2.30 a/to ratio.

Last year Muhl was 279/120 for a 2.32 a/to ratio. So she's not as bad (at this point in her career) as some people think.

And no, I'm not saying Muhl is a better PG than The Kid. However, I don't think Geno has a problem with playing 2 PG's. Especially when one of them can be a combo guard. He certainly has no problem playing 3 guards. Probably prefers it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing anything. I think it might be some other people missing something. And I don't think they are missing something from a basketball perspective. More from a Geno perspective.....what Geno does/has done.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Besides, I refuse to discuss the "problem" of a too deep roster. I'd like to experience that this coming season. :)
Amen!!!

Reaction Score
UConn looks great on paper. So you're a team that wants to beat them. What do you do? You fill your bench with the best you can find. You plan (and practice accordingly) to play 8, 9, even 10 deep. You plan to be as physical as the refs will allow, and you don't worry about racking up a lot of fouls if the refs call fouls based on the pushing and shoving, because you keep rotating your players; so no one gets in foul trouble. You plan to "hoist 'em up" and crash the boards if the shots don't always go in. And, again, you plan to get very physical under the basket, because, hey, the refs can't call them all.
And... the finese, skilled team loses...
It's the way the game is heading, or some might say is already here - ugly ball as I call it - lots of 62-55 grind it out war of attrition type of games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Last year Muhl was 279/120 for a 2.32 a/to ratio. So she's not as bad (at this point in her career) as some people think.

And no, I'm not saying Muhl is a better PG than The Kid. However, I don't think Geno has a problem with playing 2 PG's. Especially when one of them can be a combo guard. He certainly has no problem playing 3 guards. Probably prefers it.
A lot of Nika’s turnovers were due to players playing out of position and not hitting their spots so Nika would throw the ball into the seats or simple mental fatigue. She wasn’t alone in that.

Reaction Score
What happens to the unused scholarship? Does it get carried over or is it lost?

Reaction Score
While a player may only average 6 min/game they could have had five or six games where they got 12-15 min and made contributions. If any of the new players show competence and total effort in practice they will get an opportunity in a game. That's the way Geno has run things.

Besides, I refuse to discuss the "problem" of a too deep roster. I'd like to experience that this coming season. :)
Where on earth did you find any actual difference in what I posted???

Reaction Score
Ummm, nope. That point wasn't in there. It had to be read into. Which I admit, I did not do very well.
In otherwords, you just can't admit you blew it! :)

Reaction Score
But I tend to believe some of you get infatuated with the new toy. I recall a few years ago how many on her were infatuated with Saylor Poffenbarger in that she was going to come in the 2nd half of her H/S year and beat out experienced UCONN players. That never came close to happening. There is too much new toy envy here.
Truer words have never been spoken! People (even those who should be knowledgeable) need to relax on claiming how good in-coming freshmen are going to be based on watching high school highlight videos.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I agree. The question is at some point in the season will someone else develop into a significant enough office of threat that they outweigh the presence of having two point guards Nika'a considerable defense of acumen.

Reaction Score
I agree. The question is at some point in the season will someone else develop into a significant enough office of threat that they outweigh the presence of having two point guards Nika'a considerable defense of acumen.
Let's take a look at recent history. In her freshman year, Nika started the later part of the season, alongside Paige and Christyn. Essentially, a 3 guard trio. Sophomore season, she started until Paige returned from her injury. Why? Because Geno wanted/needed Paige on the court alongside Christyn (a senior) and Azzi. Again a 3 guard trio.

Last season, Nika started with Azzi and Lou, until injuries racked that cohesion. Again, a 3 guard trio. With Lou moving on and Paige returning and slotting into Lou's spot, why should we not expect a 3 guard trio to start the season?

I'm not arguing for or against Nika starting. I'm stating she'll start based on Geno's history on being loyal to his upperclassmen (Nika) and his preference for a 3 guard offense. Not to mention that Nika deserves to start alongside the best shooting backcourt duo in the country available to him.

Reaction Score
The team was 27th in the nation scoring 75.9 ppg without Paige or a healthy Azzi. We lose Dorka and Lou, but a fully healthy Paige and Azzi easily offsets the loss of their offensive output. On defense the team was 47th, so it seems the team needs more help stopping points than putting them up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom